Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

kastein posted:

I strongly recommend the largest fire extinguisher you feel like paying for and carrying.

It is surprising how big a fire gets in a car and how fast it does so. A friend's jeep had a fire in the rear area due to a fuel leak and a wiring issue. They shut it off quickly (killing the fuel pump) but someone still went to the hospital with second degree burns to their feet (they were in a front seat) and it took FORTY of the 2.5/5 pound fire extinguishers to put it out, mostly because theirs was the minimum size that would comply with club rules and it took a minute or two for others to show up with more when it was empty too fast.

My job involves a lot (400+) of fire extinguishers on a large campus and we do yearly training for staff with both ABC/drychem and HALON extinguishers in conjunction with the extinguisher servicing company. Every year the tech tells everyone that he wouldn't even gently caress with a car fire unless he had at least a couple of 10lbs immediately available. Then he lights up a big pan full of gasoline/water and everyone gets to see exactly how difficult it really is to put out a gas fire under ideal circumstances with ten or fifteen 10lbers lined up next to you.

HALON is another story.... those kick rear end, and will knock a small office girl backwards if she doesn't heed advice to lean into it :j: Unfortunately they're also not made anymore/regulated due to environmental reasons; and $130 if you know someone and $100 to refill. I've got a 10lbs ABC in the back of the XJ ever since I swapped the injectors for junkyard Bosch type3s, but next time our guy does the inspection I might poke his truck a bit and see if a HALON falls off the back :ninja:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread