Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Timby posted:

Kamen scored that one because Barry was recovering from surgery to repair a ruptured esophagus.

What, does he sing all the instruments?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Craig era is the best era. Connery next. gently caress Moore and the goofy rear end. Dalton rocked. Brosnan was squandered.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Maybe one's perspective on Bond depends on what era you grew up with. I'll always associate 007 with the kitschy tongue in cheek humor, the larger-than-life personality, and fighting the commies. Cheap thrills made to entertain and excite. The Craig era has been so comparatively devoid of humor, and I can't even say it's a novel approach because most action movies of its type have also moved in a similarly dour direction. It doesn't feel like Bond to me at all, perhaps it's truer to the original Fleming "vision" but who still gives a gently caress about that. I watch Skyfall and think they just took a generic spy thriller script and slapped a bunch of Bond poo poo around the periphery, which maybe works as a movie, but fails to work as a 007 film. In an environment filled to the brim with 160 minute heavy action monstrosities, the world could use a tidy 100 minute Bond film that does its thing and doesnt take its inherently ludicrous premise too seriously.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Guys, guys, Rush Limbaugh doesn't want Idris Elba to be Bond, specifically because he's black. Also...because he's Scottish.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/dec/24/rush-limbaugh-idris-elba-james-bond-black

quote:

US commentator Rush Limbaugh has said Idris Elba should not be able to play James Bond because he is black.

Responding to rumours that the London-born actor is being lined up to one day replace Daniel Craig as 007, Limbaugh told his syndicated US radio show that Bond was intended to be a white man by creator Ian Fleming. “James Bond is a total concept put together by Ian Fleming. He was white and Scottish. Period. That is who James Bond is, was,” Limbaugh said. “But now [they are] suggesting that the next James Bond should be Idris Elba, a black Britain, rather than a white from Scotland. But that’s not who James Bond is and I know it’s racist to probably point this out.”

Limbaugh went on to compare the casting to the idea of George Clooney and Kate Hudson starring as Barack and Michelle Obama in a presidential biopic. He also said Hollywood might as well cast Kelsey Grammer as Nelson Mandela the next time a film was made about the South African freedom fighter.

Limbaugh’s argument about Bond being white and Scottish appears easy to torpedo. Roger Moore was English, Pierce Brosnan Irish and George Lazenby Australian. Meanwhile, Timothy Dalton was born in Wales to an English father and American mother. In any case, Fleming only began adding hints of a Scottish ancestry to 007’s backstory after the extraordinary success of Sean Connery’s first movie as Bond, Dr No, in 1962.

As the article rightly points out, it's especially funny because Bond wasn't even originally Scottish, plus only Connery was Scottish.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Add to that the fact that Limbaugh's comparisons are only ludicrous because those are REAL people.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Hewlett posted:

I imagine it's not the easiest thing in the world to write music while in horrible pain confined to a hospital bed on a feeding tube, so I wouldn't exactly begrudge him. :v:

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

Crackerman posted:

You’re supposed to not give a poo poo.

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Continuity in Bond films isn't something you can or should care about.
Fair enough. To clarify, I'm not looking to poke holes in the plot or anything like that to be a stick in the mud, I was just wondering if the series even acknowledges it since if they did, it could be an interesting concept. Thanks!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Hewlett posted:

He couldn't travel overseas.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Spalec posted:

Looking to future Bonds, what do people think of Idris Elba as the next Bond?

According to the leaked emails, some bigwigs at Sony want him , and a lot of fans have said they'd like to see it. I think he'd be pretty good at it as he's cool, has sex appeal and is British (and a great actor).
It'll upset a lot of racists too which is always fun.

I'm just don't see Elba being fancast in as many roles as other people. For the Bond franchise, I don't think I could see him as Bond. On the other hand, if you absolutely wanted him in Bond in some repeated capacity, I'd say he'd probably do a better job as M. I sort of think he could probably do better as a stern taskmaster who spends the start and end of the movie giving Bond his orders, but maybe a lot of that comes from seeing him in season one of Luther and Pacific Rim.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

exquisite tea posted:

It doesn't feel like Bond to me at all, perhaps it's truer to the original Fleming "vision" but who still gives a gently caress about that. I watch Skyfall and think they just took a generic spy thriller script and slapped a bunch of Bond poo poo around the periphery, which maybe works as a movie, but fails to work as a 007 film.
The Craig films have also had pretty small stakes compared to the older movies. That works in a Bourne film, because he's alone with the full force of the state trying to crush him, but when your hero is that force of the state you need something bigger than fairly mundane criminals to challenge him. Bond is an elite spy, not a cop - and even in Skyfall, where the villain came from the world of espionage, he was working on a far more petty scale than the previous rogue MI6 agent out for revenge. Alec Trevelyan was moments away from obliterating Britain as a world power; Silva wanted to humiliate an old lady.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I imagine it's not the easiest thing in the world to write music while in horrible pain confined to a hospital bed on a feeding tube, so I wouldn't exactly begrudge him. :v:

Timby posted:

He couldn't travel overseas.

I was being facetious :smith:

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz

JediTalentAgent posted:

I'm just don't see Elba being fancast in as many roles as other people. For the Bond franchise, I don't think I could see him as Bond. On the other hand, if you absolutely wanted him in Bond in some repeated capacity, I'd say he'd probably do a better job as M. I sort of think he could probably do better as a stern taskmaster who spends the start and end of the movie giving Bond his orders, but maybe a lot of that comes from seeing him in season one of Luther and Pacific Rim.

As pointed out earlier in the thread about Elba's age when Craig is done, I'll agree that Elba would make a good M when they turn over the cast again.

I haven't read any of the SPECTRE script leaks but the stakes really do need to be raised before Craig's era is over. This has been some small time poo poo going down for the world's most elite secret agent.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Would love to have Idris Elba as the next James Bond, but I don't think it's going to actually happen. We weren't even suppose to know about Sony name dropping him as a possible Bond in the first place. Dozens of actors get named all the time for various movies, they are just idea's thrown around though and don't really mean anything.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

Guys, guys, Rush Limbaugh doesn't want Idris Elba to be Bond, specifically because he's black. Also...because he's Scottish.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/dec/24/rush-limbaugh-idris-elba-james-bond-black

As the article rightly points out, it's especially funny because Bond wasn't even originally Scottish, plus only Connery was Scottish.

I want to see Idris Elba play Rush Limbaugh in a movie now

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Sasquatch! posted:

Fair enough. To clarify, I'm not looking to poke holes in the plot or anything like that to be a stick in the mud, I was just wondering if the series even acknowledges it since if they did, it could be an interesting concept. Thanks!

I answered that :smith:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I love race casting chat. The most telling part to me is that when they say "It would be like if Tom Cruise played X" X is almost always either Shaft, or a historical figure. It's a pretty damming sign of how few iconic black characters there actually are.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Hewlett posted:

Add to that the fact that Limbaugh's comparisons are only ludicrous because those are REAL people.

To be fair, I would be pissed off to see Jonah Hill play Uncle Remus, too.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
How about a compromise:

Cast Idris Elba as James Bond and keep the character's Scottish ancestry. Then just never explain it, because who gives a gently caress.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
But then everyone would just make stupid TF2 Demoman jokes and request that he get an eyepatch and a sword.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

SALT CURES HAM posted:

But then everyone would just make stupid TF2 Demoman jokes and request that he get an eyepatch and a sword.

I don't play many video games, so I didn't even know that was a thing.

That's hilarious, though. Now I'm even more in favor of the idea.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Cnut the Great posted:

How about a compromise:

Cast Idris Elba as James Bond and keep the character's Scottish ancestry. Then just never explain it, because who gives a gently caress.

It's real dumb because, believe it or not, there are black people in Scotland.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Szmitten posted:

It's real dumb because, believe it or not, there are black people in Scotland.

No poo poo.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp
Idris would probably make a great Bond but I don't think it's racist to want major characters to be played by people who look like those characters to an extent.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
True but there is no reason James Bond has to be white other than his Swedish mum and how many people know about her?

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Dystram posted:

Idris would probably make a great Bond but I don't think it's racist to want major characters to be played by people who look like those characters to an extent.

It actually is racist, or ignorant, and you're wrong. It's not racist to want a character to be a certain race if that character calls for it.

That's why so many people can't get their head around this. "but if you change Nelson Mandela!" No. Nelson Mandela needs to be black for a movie about him to work. So does Black Panther. So does Django Unchained. So does a lot of movies with major black characters. Because they are black for a reason.

People aren't cast white as a reason. They are just cast because People want/Hollywood thinks they want white people because they sell tickets, because in general people are kinda lovely and racist. No one wrote Luke Skywalker to be white, they just wrote Luke Skywalker and he's white. Same with like, every superhero, with James Bond, etc.

Ironically the super big black actors like Will Smith finally get roles which aren't defined by being black because they are finally 'allowed' to play characters white people would play because they put bums in seats.

NOTHING about James Bond is white. There is a sliver of an argument that could say that he is in high society and etc etc and Blacks aren't really in England but this is probably old fashioned anyway and generally a fairly poo poo reason considering you aren't making a documentary on James Bond, you're making a spy action movie.

Things James Bond needs-

1, Be Handsome (So they will be racist against ugly people I guess!)
2. Be from UK probably (Or at least pretend to be)
3. Be Masculine.
4. Be Fit.

Pretty much it. Idris ticks those things off and then some, he'd be fine as Bond. If they were making a film about Hitler and you cast a black Idris as a top SS member then I'd say that is Political correctness gone mad!!! with you, but this simply is not it, and people who fight against suggestions like this either are out and out racist, or are ignorant of the situation and need to be educated.

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014
A black Bond would be really stupid.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
People also had this same kind of argument when the new Spiderman was revealed to be black/hispanic.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

CJacobs posted:

People also had this same kind of argument when the new Spiderman was revealed to be black/hispanic.

That was pretty dumb of them since it was a new Spider-Man, Miles Morales.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dystram posted:

That was pretty dumb of them since it was a new Spider-Man, Miles Morales.

That was my point. Like a new Bond actor carries the legacy of the character, so did the new Spiderman (even though the comic did not pretend he was Peter Parker for very long), but people quickly discovered that it didn't matter and it stopped being an issue.

edit: To expand a little on what I mean: I think that if they really did announce that the next Bond would be black, people would be upset about it with the argument that the character was "written to be white" but the second the movie comes out it will stop mattering and people will move on, much like what happened with the new Spiderman series.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 27, 2014

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

teacup posted:

It actually is racist, or ignorant, and you're wrong. It's not racist to want a character to be a certain race if that character calls for it.

That's why so many people can't get their head around this. "but if you change Nelson Mandela!" No. Nelson Mandela needs to be black for a movie about him to work. So does Black Panther. So does Django Unchained. So does a lot of movies with major black characters. Because they are black for a reason.

People aren't cast white as a reason. They are just cast because People want/Hollywood thinks they want white people because they sell tickets, because in general people are kinda lovely and racist. No one wrote Luke Skywalker to be white, they just wrote Luke Skywalker and he's white. Same with like, every superhero, with James Bond, etc.

Ironically the super big black actors like Will Smith finally get roles which aren't defined by being black because they are finally 'allowed' to play characters white people would play because they put bums in seats.

NOTHING about James Bond is white. There is a sliver of an argument that could say that he is in high society and etc etc and Blacks aren't really in England but this is probably old fashioned anyway and generally a fairly poo poo reason considering you aren't making a documentary on James Bond, you're making a spy action movie.

Things James Bond needs-

1, Be Handsome (So they will be racist against ugly people I guess!)
2. Be from UK probably (Or at least pretend to be)
3. Be Masculine.
4. Be Fit.

Pretty much it. Idris ticks those things off and then some, he'd be fine as Bond. If they were making a film about Hitler and you cast a black Idris as a top SS member then I'd say that is Political correctness gone mad!!! with you, but this simply is not it, and people who fight against suggestions like this either are out and out racist, or are ignorant of the situation and need to be educated.

I'm not saying that Elba should never play Bond, or that Bond can't be played by a black guy. I would prefer if Elba were the next Bond since I really enjoy his performances.

However, let's not pretend appearance - race, sex, weight, height, attractiveness, etc. - aren't important attributes of fictional characters. Not everyone who has an issue with a change of race or appearance of a popular, iconic character is racist; they have become accustomed to the appearances of the characters they like and seeing them change drastically for real reason gets their hackles up. Then, people like you decide to insist they're racists, which just entrenches them in their position and lends credibility allegations that you're the political correctness police.

Ian Fleming, From Russia With Love posted:

‘Name: Bond, James. Height: 183cm, weight: 76 kilograms; slim build; eyes: blue; hair: black; scar down right cheek and on left shoulder; signs of plastic surgery on back of right hand; all-round athlete; expert pistol shot, boxer, knife-thrower; does not use disguises. Languages: French and German. Smokes heavily (NB: special cigarettes with three gold bands); vices: drink, but not to excess, and women. Not thought to accept bribes.’

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

CJacobs posted:

That was my point. Like a new Bond actor carries the legacy of the character, so did the new Spiderman (even though the comic did not pretend he was Peter Parker for very long), but people quickly discovered that it didn't matter and it stopped being an issue.

edit: To expand a little on what I mean: I think that if they really did announce that the next Bond would be black, people would be upset about it with the argument that the character was "written to be write" but the second the movie comes out it will stop mattering and people will move on, much like what happened with the new Spiderman series.

Yeah but Bond is presumably the same person in all his incarnations while Miles is a totally different character who happens to be Spider-Man in a totally different universe - Ultimate Marvel.

Of course there are always racists upset about a race change but then there are also just fans of a character upset that a character's appearance has changed. There were people who were upset that Craig was playing bond and he looks like a caveman. The voices would be louder given all the racists chiming in about a race change, but people generally get pissed about appearance changes, whatever they may be. You'd have people pissed about a blonde haired Superman.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The James Bond novels are all about white folks from western Europe being the gifters of civilization to the rest of the world and all the casual racism that that entails. So like, if someone were to be writing a new James Bond novel I can understand him still being a white dude with a British dad and a Swiss mom like in the novels. But in the movies "James Bond" is "the smoothest dude in the room at any given time," like there's nothing intrinsic about his ethnicity. Especially in today's world. Remember the story 007 In New York? That was an "dangerous but alluring exotic locale" at the time. Today there's more tourists walking around where I work in NYC than there are people who live there. The novels were born of a last gasp of the same mindset that would say that Irish, Scottish, and English people are different races and align people in intellectual tiers based on skull dimensions. The cinematic interpretations of the character and the worlds he works in have grown very very far apart from the books over the years to the point where the any actor of any ethnicity could pull it off.

I really do wish someone would make a biopic of Rush Limbaugh starring Idris Elba now though.

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014

Neo Rasa posted:

The James Bond novels are all about white folks from western Europe being the gifters of civilization to the rest of the world and all the casual racism that that entails. So like, if someone were to be writing a new James Bond novel I can understand him still being a white dude with a British dad and a Swiss mom like in the novels. But in the movies "James Bond" is "the smoothest dude in the room at any given time," like there's nothing intrinsic about his ethnicity. Especially in today's world. Remember the story 007 In New York? That was an "dangerous but alluring exotic locale" at the time. Today there's more tourists walking around where I work in NYC than there are people who live there. The novels were born of a last gasp of the same mindset that would say that Irish, Scottish, and English people are different races and align people in intellectual tiers based on skull dimensions. The cinematic interpretations of the character and the worlds he works in have grown very very far apart from the books over the years to the point where the any actor of any ethnicity could pull it off.

wah wah james bond raciss wah wah

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

The Bond movies have become much more important than the books. Fleming changed Bond’s heritage because of the films. If they want him to be black, then there we are.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

thrawn527 posted:

One quick note that I might as well get to now. Why are all of the women in this movie dubbed in some rather obvious ADR? I could see if they didn’t like the performance of the actresses and tried to address this in post, or if they lost the audio and had to fix it on some, but a good portion of the women in this movie are voiced by someone other than the actress seen on screen. And I read that this continues on the series for quite some time, with most of the early Bond actresses being dubbed over (one notable exception being one character in Goldfinger, whose name I hesitate to mention here for fear of a derail). Does anyone know why they felt the need to do this?

Not only is there tons of ADR in all the early Bonds, it's nearly all done by one woman, Nikki van der Zyl. She voiced female characters in Dr. No, FRWL, Goldfinger, Thunderball, YOLT, OHMSS, Diamonds, Live and Let Die, TMWTGG and Moonraker, all but one film from 1962 to 1979. I don't believe she's in the credits for any of them - they were a little ashamed of all the ADR. I don't know the story for why they always used her though, they must have just LOVED her voice. It was a great voice.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

zVxTeflon posted:

I want to see Idris Elba play Rush Limbaugh in a movie now

Wearing buck teeth and thick comedy glasses, constantly slipping on spilled pills.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
We could compromise and have Riz Ahmed play Bond, there are a lot more British Asians than Black people living in Scotland if demographics are the real sticking point for those angry about Elba. He was great as a spy in Britz too. Everyone should watch Britz.

Elba would still be better for the role though.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Gatts posted:

Craig era is the best era. Connery next. gently caress Moore and the goofy rear end. Dalton rocked. Brosnan was squandered.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

teacup posted:

People aren't cast white as a reason.

Pretty much this. Whenever anyone says, "[James Bond / Batman / Spider-Man / etc.] can't be black," all I can hear is, "how can I project myself onto a fantasy embodiment character who isn't Just Like Me?!?" There's simply nothing inherent about the whiteness of the vast majority of characters who are white.

My bigger question is: why isn't Rush Limbaugh dead yet? He's a substance-less bigot who's been nothing but rotting flotsam in a sea of irrelevance since the turn of the millennium. And somehow he still says things and other media sources grant it some level of attention.

Now I just want a queer genderfuck Bond. Played by a black transman, who's Welsh for good measure. Because gently caress you, Rush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Dystram posted:

I'm not saying that Elba should never play Bond, or that Bond can't be played by a black guy. I would prefer if Elba were the next Bond since I really enjoy his performances.

However, let's not pretend appearance - race, sex, weight, height, attractiveness, etc. - aren't important attributes of fictional characters. Not everyone who has an issue with a change of race or appearance of a popular, iconic character is racist; they have become accustomed to the appearances of the characters they like and seeing them change drastically for real reason gets their hackles up. Then, people like you decide to insist they're racists, which just entrenches them in their position and lends credibility allegations that you're the political correctness police.

quote:

Ian Fleming, From Russia With Love posted:
‘Name: Bond, James. Height: 183cm, weight: 76 kilograms; slim build; eyes: blue; hair: black; scar down right cheek and on left shoulder; signs of plastic surgery on back of right hand; all-round athlete; expert pistol shot, boxer, knife-thrower; does not use disguises. Languages: French and German. Smokes heavily (NB: special cigarettes with three gold bands); vices: drink, but not to excess, and women. Not thought to accept bribes.’

To be fair Ian Fleming's description doesn't explicitly say he's white.

edit: I would like a black James Bond purely because it would annoy people I don't like very much.

• Locked thread