Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Since the Manticore is now Top of the Tree and I've wanted one for a while, I started grinding up the British light tree from T6.

Two findings:

1. I remember now why I rarely play lights. Half the maps in the game are just complete loving dog poo poo for lights (and that's being generous) and in the rest you're likely to have 4 lights on both sides so good luck getting any spotting.
2. Jesus christ the Crusader is dog poo poo.

And apparently the T7 light tank doesn't share any modules with any other British line, gotta grind them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The UK lights are so loving bad. Even for lights.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Used to love the Crusader as a light tank at Tier V, way back before WG hosed it all up :smith:

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
The French lights are old as hell but still are super dangerous and fun. Super stealthy, guns that can mess up tanks and generally are just a menance.

I should really just buy the T10...

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

You should, I love them and while I'd say the T9 is tier for tier better, the T10 is also extremely good. If you get an actual map where spotting is possible, well you can spot. If the game plops you in one of the 16123 maps that's just corridors, well you can just gently caress people up with your autoloader.

Sayara
May 10, 2009

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

And apparently the T7 light tank doesn't share any modules with any other British line, gotta grind them all.

Neither does T8 if it's any consolation. And as it's tier 8, it's almost always against premium lights, so it's going to be fun I tell you. Oh, and it has like 1300 dpm.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

yeah i thought about doing it because it's tott and that manticore krang skin fuckin rocks but I think I will simply not

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I have an addiction to gold ammo. But still, look at this:

Sayara
May 10, 2009

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

yeah i thought about doing it because it's tott and that manticore krang skin fuckin rocks but I think I will simply not

Now is obviously a good time to go for it if you ever plan to. They're good spotters, and guns are actually pretty good for the tier. It's the dpm that sucks big time. 10 second reload on 230 damage gun is... not good.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Yeah, you can take the occasional pot shot, but if you get spotted you need to run the gently caress away ASAP.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
My map knowledge has gone to total poo poo in this game. It makes playing light tanks so much harder , but I just don't have it in me anymore to go super try hard mode :smith:.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Skill was right to call the Setter the Shitter. Jesus loving christ.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Skill was right to call the Setter the Shitter. Jesus loving christ.

Yeah I am avoiding that line. Looks like nothing but stinkers except the Manti. But why would I torture myself to get another T10 light I won't use?

Best of luck to ya :unsmith:. You are in for an experience.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah, the Setter is ... well, I'd honestly say unplayable.

It is absolutely awful at anything other than passive spotting, and well good loving luck trying to passively spot anything these days with WG removing any spotting locations and turning maps into corridors.

E:

Full 0 to 100 cap. Don't see that every day.

Also featuring a 45% WR tomato who did 100 damage and then cried in chat about the slurs on his team while we carried his rear end.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 9, 2024

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Also featuring a 45% WR tomato who did 100 damage and then cried in chat about the slurs on his team while we carried his rear end.

A tale as old as time...

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I bought the ST-II and immediately bought the Bebop & Rocksteady skin.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
It's been a rough day in tanks :smith:.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

It's amazing how bad the worst players at this game are. They aren't just terrible at doing damage, they also actively make other players near them play worse by blocking shots or preventing them from moving into cover.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Mesadoram posted:

It's been a rough day in tanks :smith:.

I mean almost 53% WR, that's still very good. I think I'm rocking something like a 40% WR this weekend, because good loving luck trying to carry these teams of absolute loving halfwits with something like an AT-7 or Shitter. My WR would be even worse if I wasn't also stat padding by grinding BP points in busted-rear end T5s.

McGavin posted:

It's amazing how bad the worst players at this game are. They aren't just terrible at doing damage, they also actively make other players near them play worse by blocking shots or preventing them from moving into cover.

Oh yeah, 100%. Nothing like your top tier heavy deciding he's gonna snipe and taking the one good sniper location from a TD or the three 45% WR lights deciding they ALSO need to be in the exact same bush as their better teammate. And then of course the classic "yeah you're in a light tank that needs to get into a spotting position quickly but what if I, the medium tank, instead ram into you and keep pushing you because I CAN'T WAIT TWO SECONDS I'M TH MAIN CHARACTER OF WOT".

I don't agree with QB on many things, but he's 100% correct in saying WoT isn't a game of 15v15, it' a game of 1v29.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Mar 10, 2024

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I mean almost 53% WR, that's still very good. I think I'm rocking something like a 40% WR this weekend, because good loving luck trying to carry these teams of absolute loving halfwits with something like an AT-7 or Shitter. My WR would be even worse if I wasn't also stat padding by grinding BP points in busted-rear end T5s.

I still suffer from my old mentality of "I need to keep my stats in dark purple" even though I don't engage with this game (A) Enough (B) At a level where my stats matter.

It's the main reason I burned myself out of this game :smith:.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

yeah im too poo poo at the game to carry really bad teams

my WR has been yo-yo'ing between 50 and 51% and that's probably where i belong

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I am so loving tired of this poo poo.

E:

Can't be mad about this though.

E:

I swear to god

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 11, 2024

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

And then of course the first daily win is the poo poo-rear end game where my team just drives through the enemies and I had time to fire three shells before the game was over. Awesome. Such a loving awesome system this x2 bonus for the first win.

E:

I'm starting to understand Skill's rating of 2/5. Yeah, if you can sit in a defensive position and shoot at targets that appear in front of you, the AT-7 is great. But if you can't, it's poo poo. It's slow as gently caress, has the turning time of the earth, has awful gun depression and elevation, and can be penned by drat near anything from the sides or the rear.

And sadly games of the second type outnumber games of the first type by a huge margin.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 11, 2024

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I do love tanks that are slow and just chunks of armor, but the more I play recently the more I noticed how badly they perform later in the match. Their inability to adjust and reposition is crippling :smith:.

On the other hand, the Tortoise is so good at just murdering other tanks that I don't mind it's speed.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Mesadoram posted:

Their inability to adjust and reposition is crippling :smith:.

I hate not being able to reposition so much, but not as much as getting flanked because 9 of my teammates died to 3 of theirs while I was busy stopping the other 12.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Mesadoram posted:

On the other hand, the Tortoise is so good at just murdering other tanks that I don't mind it's speed.

Yes, the Tortoise is what I'm going for.

McGavin posted:

I hate not being able to reposition so much, but not as much as getting flanked because 9 of my teammates died to 3 of theirs while I was busy stopping the other 12.

Exaaaaaactly.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

McGavin posted:

Yup

Yeah..

:smith:

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I know it's a waste of money, but I really need this in my life:

Also, had a really awesome night in tanks. Felt good for the first time in a long time :unsmith: (even though I guess I was seal clubbing :smith:)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

It's not a waste of money, it's awesome. In my one game with the ST-II so far one pubbie was really into it and drove around near me looking at the skin from all directions while another one was so enraged by it that he just decided to try to ram me for a while.

If it helps, it also has sound mods: the engine sounds like an RC car and when you get hit, there's the sound of plastic cracking. It's neat!

If money is tight but you want to use the skin anyway, there's a mod called Unique 3D Styles in Aslain's mod pack which allows you to freely pick any 3D skin for any tank. Of course it also makes every other tank of that type look like they're using that 3D skin but still.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Mar 12, 2024

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

It's not a waste of money, it's awesome. In my one game with the ST-II so far one pubbie was really into it and drove around near me looking at the skin from all directions while another one was so enraged by it that he just decided to try to ram me for a while.

If it helps, it also has sound mods: the engine sounds like an RC car and when you get hit, there's the sound of plastic cracking. It's neat!

If money is tight but you want to use the skin anyway, there's a mod called Unique 3D Styles in Aslain's mod pack which allows you to freely pick any 3D skin for any tank. Of course it also makes every other tank of that type look like they're using that 3D skin but still.

It had unique sounds too?

Bleh, I only put money onto this game one time of the year. One skin won't break the bank :unsmith:.

Edit:

Oh...

Mesadoram fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 13, 2024

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Some nights you just cannot win no matter what.

Edit: Don't let the win rate fool you. Tonight was frustrating to a point that I want to take a break for a bit. Bunch of blow outs, bots, bullshit bounces...

But the grind must go on :smith:.

Mesadoram fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Mar 13, 2024

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I am now 100% convinced there's some kind of hidden "prevent people from getting finished off" mechanic in the game. I don't know how else you'd explain FOUR tanks in the same game with 640 - 720 HP surviving with single digit HPs after a pen from my BZ-176. 800 alpha, and all four happened to low roll just so that they all survived? Yeah right.

Just loving love these kill missions where you can do 5000 damage and walk away with zero kills because the RNG hosed you over.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Just loving love these kill missions where you can do 5000 damage and walk away with zero kills because the RNG hosed you over.

Every.loving.Time.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

It took me nearly 90 minutes to get 7 kills. Partially it's because after a while I inevitably start second guessing myself, but the amount of just absolute loving dog poo poo RNG is so crazy. I missed a loving 80 hp Chi-To SP from the side three times in a row, and then bounced what should have been a green pen.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

It took me nearly 90 minutes to get 7 kills. Partially it's because after a while I inevitably start second guessing myself, but the amount of just absolute loving dog poo poo RNG is so crazy. I missed a loving 80 hp Chi-To SP from the side three times in a row, and then bounced what should have been a green pen.

This might sounds lovely, but the Church 3 is my go to for kill missions. It's a lot easier to go full ham in it and get a kill or two before you die.

Or you live because the Church 3 is still amazing.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I'll keep that in mind, I'm gonna play it eventually for the BP points anyway.

Also this seems like a bad omen. Am I going to start having real bad opinions about equality? :ohdear:

Sayara
May 10, 2009
I like tier 4/5 derps for clearing those quests. Things die in like 3-4 shots from regular guns so you can just wait and ks them after they get shot once or twice depending on your gun.

In other news I can't believe Chi-To SP still isn't nerfed, such a beautiful tank.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I'll keep that in mind, I'm gonna play it eventually for the BP points anyway.

Also this seems like a bad omen. Am I going to start having real bad opinions about equality? :ohdear:

Yes.

Sayara posted:

In other news I can't believe Chi-To SP still isn't nerfed, such a beautiful tank.

:hmmyes:

It really is a beautiful killing machine.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I am now 100% convinced there's some kind of hidden "prevent people from getting finished off" mechanic in the game. I don't know how else you'd explain FOUR tanks in the same game with 640 - 720 HP surviving with single digit HPs after a pen from my BZ-176. 800 alpha, and all four happened to low roll just so that they all survived? Yeah right.

Yes there is, I thought it was common knowledge. Read it somewhere reputable a long time ago.
There is an elevated chance of a mercy roll when the shell recipient is in oneshot but not too low range.

Game has all sorts of beautiful mechanics.
Like the removed engine throttle thing stops damaging your engine when you're above 50% of top speed, or fire disabling the camo skill (most skills in fact) thus making a blindshotted scout suddenly getting spotted in a bush.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The St. Patrick's day missions require you to play games in tanks that you've already got your 2x with. Gross.