Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Large Testicles posted:

is the ISU-152 OP or am I just really good/lucky with it so far? 20 battles in an I have almost an 80% win rate and i had the top gun unlocked basically within like 10 battles

If you like it, be on the lookout for the ISU-152K, which has the Obj 704's BL-10 (which the tech tree -152 used to have as an upgrade).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Incredibly lucky, possibly not being a completely useless dogshit player being a factor. Not to downplay or discourage you but the loving thing can't even hit an average of a 47% WR, on any server, closest being NA.

FWIW I finished that grind with something around 53% WR, and I'll freely admit that platooning contributed to that. It's just fat & cumbersome with armour that only mattered 7+ years ago.

ive just been sniping with it cause of the dogshit armor, and i know the gun has a fat targeting circle, but i have way more luck with it than say the derp cannon on the kv-2

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Large Testicles posted:

ive just been sniping with it cause of the dogshit armor, and i know the gun has a fat targeting circle, but i have way more luck with it than say the derp cannon on the kv-2

I am still at least 95% convinced there's some kind of hidden "how likely are shells to hit the center of the aiming reticle" value in WoT, because many Soviet tanks are way more accurate than their abysmal accuracy values would indicate.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
The Conq continues to be one of the best tanks in the game. Holy poo poo I love this thing.

Gonna take this W of a day and gently caress off:

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I am still at least 95% convinced there's some kind of hidden "how likely are shells to hit the center of the aiming reticle" value in WoT, because many Soviet tanks are way more accurate than their abysmal accuracy values would indicate.

that wouldnt surprise me, on the other side of that theory, there are some supposedly super accurate guns that feel like they scatter easily unless you're fully aimed

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Large Testicles posted:

that wouldnt surprise me, on the other side of that theory, there are some supposedly super accurate guns that feel like they scatter easily unless you're fully aimed

Exactly! Like the British mediums? Can't snap for poo poo. The Grille? Can't hit anything for poo poo.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Exactly! Like the British mediums? Can't snap for poo poo. The Grille? Can't hit anything for poo poo.

i've been suffering through the american arty line recently and i really miss my old soviet laser cannons in comparison, i'll rebuy the t10 at some point (because I am an idiot)

e: or maybe the school bus, that was always fun

Large Testicles fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 27, 2024

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I don't get this game's players. Today I had a T9 game on Karelia, we had the T9 Polish TD on our team. Being played by a 54% WR player, too, so you'd think he'd know what he was doing. Yet there he was, camping on the redline. And not in a "I'll hang back for a minute or two to see where the match is going" kinda way, but in a "I'm sitting in the last bush on the map until 80% of my team's dead and then start moving".

Why the gently caress would you play a Polish TD if you want to camp on the redline, instead of ... you know, literally ANY other TD line in the game?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I don't get this game's players. Today I had a T9 game on Karelia, we had the T9 Polish TD on our team. Being played by a 54% WR player, too, so you'd think he'd know what he was doing. Yet there he was, camping on the redline. And not in a "I'll hang back for a minute or two to see where the match is going" kinda way, but in a "I'm sitting in the last bush on the map until 80% of my team's dead and then start moving".

Why the gently caress would you play a Polish TD if you want to camp on the redline, instead of ... you know, literally ANY other TD line in the game?

:chloe:

I will never get players like that.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Unfortunately a large number of players breathe with their arse, and have poo poo for brains.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Unfortunately a large number of players breathe with their arse, and have poo poo for brains.

:hmmyes:

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

i had something similar yesterday. the end of the game comes down to me in my m44, another arty and a td who has been camping the whole time vs a single dicker max at full hp. we obviously drew cause the other arty went to try spot for me and got killed and by the time i got the useless TD to do a loving thing, time was up

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I don't want to know how many games I've lost because a full HP teammate refused to take a hit.

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Holy shit! I have a tail?!

McGavin posted:

I don't want to know how many games I've lost because a full HP teammate refused to take a hit.

I feel that. I find it bewildering that some players can be such total cowards. Your hit points are a resource, you manage them accordingly. Staying at 100% doesn't give you bonus xp or cash, at the end of the day.

Well. I guess it kind of *does* give you bonus cash, no repair costs if you take no damage! :thunk:

Today's fun hobby for me has been timing heavies who have decided they're a special snowflake who wants to strike out into open countryside rather than join the other heavies, and see how many seconds it takes for them to detonate.

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Ladies and She-Hulks can't resist Murdock's Big Hallway Energy

Large Testicles posted:

i've been suffering through the american arty line recently and i really miss my old soviet laser cannons in comparison, i'll rebuy the t10 at some point (because I am an idiot)

e: or maybe the school bus, that was always fun

aka the Bang Bus

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Hadn't played this game since 2013 and uh... it's changed. I also noticed pretty humorously that half of my Goon friends quit playing in the summer of 2021. I guess that's when they had enough of Covid lockdowns.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

i feel like i've gotten better at this game after not playing it for a few years, either that or everyone else has got way loving worse. my win rate totally doesn't show though because i've also mostly been grinding my american arty and there's nothing there i can do to win a game. every other tank i've been playing is in like the 60-80% win range though. i got the 178B free through missions and i'm 100% after 6 games.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

also the new to me thing about missions unlocking discounts on t6-10 tanks fuckin rules. i've got a bunch of new things unlocked for cheap that i had just been sitting on the backburner

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!
What should one do with all the bonds?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Nothing but -2 games all day, nothing but completely loving dog poo poo braindead idiots, so a 30% WR and games like this.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Someone on Reddit suggested recently that the "win X games" missions be changed to "do your tank's HP of damage in a game" missions instead, and I think that would be a great change. Teams are so loving imbalanced these days that the old truth of "you can affect 33% of your games" probably isn't true anymore. It's a complete crapshoot where most games feel so one-sided that it doesn't matter one bit what I do in them. Do 250 damage, do 5500 damage, doesn't matter, the game was decided when the matchmaker filled 90% of one team with shitheads who are somehow worse than bots.

E:

T9 Ferrari unlocked after 52 games.

Can't recommend the French wheeled lights enough.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 28, 2024

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Large Testicles posted:

i feel like i've gotten better at this game after not playing it for a few years, either that or everyone else has got way loving worse. my win rate totally doesn't show though because i've also mostly been grinding my american arty and there's nothing there i can do to win a game. every other tank i've been playing is in like the 60-80% win range though. i got the 178B free through missions and i'm 100% after 6 games.

Coming back to the game like 8-9 years later, I feel like players are way more aggressive than when I used to play. I see more people joining in on pushes, and the new arty mechanics (which I'm guessing are super old by this point) really help break stalemates.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!
did they nerf the T34?
The thing feels like a sponge now

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Basscop posted:

did they nerf the T34?
The thing feels like a sponge now

Nope, in fact I think they might've buffed it at some point. What time period are you comparing it to?

(I just started playing the T32 again after unlocking it and sucking in it shortly after starting the game originally, and I'm really enjoying it)

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Nope, in fact I think they might've buffed it at some point. What time period are you comparing it to?

(I just started playing the T32 again after unlocking it and sucking in it shortly after starting the game originally, and I'm really enjoying it)

Quite a while ago. I remember the chinese tree being quite new.

Used to be able to sidescrape in it but now everything goes through.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah, there's a lot of big calibers and high pen guns out these days.

Also, apparently my "special personal offer" for today is the ISU-152K. Should I buy it? Judging by the stats it's not performing amazingly well, but surely an ISU-152 with the BL-10 gun can't be ALL bad, right?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
The K is an ISU with a bit more pen, but saddled with each a 'negative' turbocharger, rot. mechanism and accuracy device :cenobite:
Oh and 11/-5 gun elevation instead of the originals 18/-6

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Oh.

Well gently caress that then. I'll keep my normal rear end ISU-152.

Thanks for saving me 32€.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Aw hell no, that was the price of a Prog46 last week.
The ISU K would be iffy even in the bond store.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I got the K in Christmas boxes a while back and I'm pretty sure I traded it in at some point for something actually good.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I ended up on the EU3 server today somehow, and holy poo poo this is ... something. The players are insanely aggro in that they want to brawl in every tank, in every match, all the time. Very few people fire gold, it's loving WILD.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I ended up on the EU3 server today somehow, and holy poo poo this is ... something. The players are insanely aggro in that they want to brawl in every tank, in every match, all the time. Very few people fire gold, it's loving WILD.

Sounds like the old day... :allears:

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Fucker found the portal to 2015!!

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Holy shit! I have a tail?!

Fucker found the portal to 2015!!

Turns out, if you drive an ELC at 88 miles per hour and dial in your flux capacitor correctly...

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!
How's that Manticore line? Some of them look quite fun.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
It's all about the prize at the end.
The tier 8 and 9 have medium tank pen and very good camo, but only the Manticore's alpha damage makes the whole package work.

I guess they're good if you have one of the ancient press accounts that can pick which map to play on :shobon:
GL otherwise with a clunky 1400 dpm pure spotter in random maps.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

started playing more of my scouts/artys and have taken to typing out "i'm gonna sit here and light people up or rain hell if you help me, i have a mod that lets me zoom way the gently caress out, please listen to me when i tell you to push and shoot" and i've been having a loving great night tonight. like playing an RTS with other people as the characters if they actually listen to me

Large Testicles fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Apr 30, 2024

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Basscop posted:

How's that Manticore line? Some of them look quite fun.

Incredibly frustrating.

They are good for one thing: spotting in a bush. They have great camo and good view range, but everything else is average to meh. The Manticore also has big alpha, but very few shells and a crazy low DPM, but that's all I can tell you about it because I gave up on the T8.

They suffer from the common light tank problems, ie. playing light tanks in 2024 loving sucks since at this point about half of the maps in the game have next to no opportunities to spot, but also they feel extra frustrating because that's the only thing they're good for.

I would definitely recommend the Soviet lights over the British line, but even more either of the French lines. The French tracked lights are still very good spotters but can also just unload on motherfuckers with their autoloaders on maps where you can't spot, and the French wheeled lights are insanely fun.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Ever since discovering a few days ago that you can now just join EU3 and EU4 at will, I've been playing there exclusively. For those who don't know, EU3 and EU4 are the servers WG placed the players who migrated over from the Russian servers after putin started his illegal land grab.

I'm not gonna say the players on EU3/EU4 are BETTER than on EU1/EU2, if anything they're worse, but the game feels different. Like I posted, the players are generally extremely aggro and just want to brawl all the time, and few people use gold. It's so god drat nice for an Onslaught game just to be like six heavies, and the enemy team too, and then all the heavies just loving pile into each other at the cap and blast away at each other.

It's also incredibly easy to place very high on Onslaught matches if you want, simply by using the incredibly advanced strategy of "don't blindly rush in".

Weirdly the players also seem to be a lot less angry and insane than on EU1/EU2. Very few people talk in chat, and while I can't understand Russian/Ukrainian anyway, it immediately means nobody is constantly yelling slurs at their team, which is the EU1/EU2 style.

It's also kinda fun to start every match with a Слава Україні! Путін їсть кінську сперму! and get a lot of Героям славаs in response, or laughing emojis. Instead of 1/3 of the team immediately flipping their poo poo and starting to either try to team kill you, or fill team chat with paragraphs of Russian. Which, again, is the EU1/EU2 style.

So if you're on the EU servers, give EU3/EU4 a shot. But don't be a shithead, let's keep those servers pure and fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Next month's Top of the Tree: the Rinoceronte and the German lights.

I know I just said playing lights is incredibly frustrating... but I'm gonna go for the Flipwagen.