Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

This is once again close to some Klaus Kellerman poo poo, but I swear to god this game has some kind of "last chance" mechanic that leaves 43% tomatos with a couple of HP when a shot SHOULD have killed them.

M4/85 has 112 HP. I hit him with my M4A1 FL10. The shot does 111 damage, ie. 3 more than the absolute minimum damage roll the gun can roll -- and leaving him with 1 HP. And that's happened multiple times tonight.

This is not directly related, and it's been several years, but this was a thing in Armored Warfare, at least the PvE mode; the AI tanks could not be 1-shot, so if you had, say, a 400-alpha gun and were firing at a 350-hp SPG, you'd do up to 349 damage, leaving it on 1 hp. Again, this was a deliberate thing by the developers, and I think what happened was they mentioned it when they added or removed it at one point, but like I said, it's been quite a while and my memory's hazy. Doesn't apply to WoT, but it could very well be a hidden mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

McGavin posted:

You should only be allowed to play a light tank over tier 5 if your win rate is over 50%.

FTFY

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

OK I feel like there used to be a standalone carousel mod that would let me have 4-5 rows scaled to 80% of regular size, and where I could use notepad to change default sort order parameters, and then whenver the game updated every other day or so I could just move my config file from one version number folder to another in res-mods or whatever.

Am I nuts?

The closest thing I can find is the xvm carousel stuff in Aslain's, but I just do not want to keep downloading and installing that monstrosity just to have a 4 row carousel.

Isn't there some, just, carousel mod or something?

Oh I'm sure that the carousel mod(s) in Aslain's are available standalone, but you'd have to find their source. I haven't looked for individual mods since, like before the OMC mod pack days.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

sushibandit posted:

1x light tank
0 1x artillery
3x tank destroyers
5x medium tanks
5x heavy tanks

Teams should be locked to these vehicle type counts, regardless of how it affects matchmaking timing. Show the approximate wait time for each type when you enter the queue, and/or offer a small (~10%) bonus to credit/exp gain or something, to incentivise people to switch and play the types that are currently lacking.

Real tired of games with 6-7 TDs on each team, or 3 clickers and 0 lights on each team (especially on open maps).

FTFY. Proverbially, of course.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Here's a good round I had, albeit on a loss:

http://wotreplays.eu/site/6687483?secret=32096e0ac00a7665211f2e49e576c542

The only thing of note is the 3 on 1 I got into (after about the 7:00 mark.) I'm extremely rusty at the game, but I'm still having flashes of competence. :toot:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I had a lot of fun earlier tonight platooning with mr 48, and about a week or so ago with Mesa; it was nice to play with you guys again, it's been a long time!

So I've noticed recently that the map rotation is much improved over how it was a few years ago, when you'd get the same 3 maps over and over again; now it's basically a different map every time, which is a pleasant surprise and is how you'd expect it to work with like 30 maps in the game.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

One thing I forgot to say is that I really appreciate how you can complete the holiday missions concurrently. I think I've played twice during the event and got all caught up just by playing the handful of tanks I still have to grind out. It's one of the things that's actually pleasant about the game.

Also regarding the holiday event: what can we use leftover resources for? Before a year or two and the current format, we could buy more ornaments and missed stuff from previous years. I think I have everything though, and I can't figure out if the extra resources can be used for anything else.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

So I learned about the year-end sales, most notably 50% equipment, only a few days ago. I figured it was a good idea to re-equip my tanks, since I had a ton of credits (and gold) and I hadn't re-fit most of them since the new system was implemented. The problem was that I have hundreds of tanks, and even at only 1 minute per tank, it took forever to go through them all. I worked overnight too, which left me less time at home to do that, but on a whim I brought an older gaming laptop to work; it can often be slow, and the game might not be blocked on the network. Well, it was, and wasn't, respectively, so I was able to spend a few hours getting paid to click my tanks in the garage and I got all of them set up, with some spare equipment for the future, and I revised some crews too! :hfive:

Myrrar posted:

Just reinstalled this game after forever. No idea whats going on anymore. Are there any organized goon groups anymore or is all of that dead?

Your name is vaguely familiar, I think you're on NA. We still play, mostly in PANSY. I just started playing again recently myself. There are a few new maps and a lot of new tanks, but I found it came back to me pretty quickly.

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I'm grinding the AMX 50-120 and boy howdy does this thing just NOT do the business like I remember it from the days when I saw them all the time.

I'm actually tempted to keep the 100mm mounted because the current meta seems to force you into waiting as a support* vehicle, springing into action after some chump takes his shot. By keeping the 100mm, I slam six shells at 300 alpha per shot into their side as they sit there dumbfounded with no means to retaliate, then scoot off as fast as possible. I am no mathemagician but allowing for the usual RNG bullshit such as inexplicable bounces, six shots >>> four shots. Also 6x300 >>> 4x400. Both mags reload at identical speeds, but whatever.

Yeah I remember wrecking poo poo in the 50 120, but I played it years ago. The big gun is better on it, like Stroker said, because of the fast, compact burst. With the 50 100 on the other hand I used the 90 due to the much better reload, however.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

It's funny, when I was refitting my tanks the other day, as I went over the Cents I didn't notice any glaring weaknesses to address via equipment. Sure, rammer & turbo are fine on most tanks, but even then I was like, I could omit either or both of those two for other things if the tank needed it, but it didn't seem to. Granted, I haven't played the UK MTs/HTs any time recently, but they all seemed just fine the way their stats indicated. (The third piece of equipment, by the way, was an obvious choice: optics, to go with the 400 m VR.)

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I finished the tier 6 Jap TD ("Ji-Ro") and it was...fine. I still can't get over how slow it is, despite having no armor (yes, I know it's because of the weak engine) while having higher-than necessary turning speed (I'd trade some of the latter for better acceleration, and this is what the tier 7 ends up being like.) The top gun on it was fantastic for a tier 6, though; it really wrecked poo poo if it got close enough to it!

McGavin posted:

Remove the beach on Overlord entirely because it is a magnet for morons.

When I first got it after returning to the game I was like, "did they make beach good now? Because half of each team went there..." :rolleyes:

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I still miss Historical Mode. There was a limit on how many gold rounds you could carry.

This would be a nice change to the main game. Unlimited AP/HE, but limited gold shells. It'd make the latter an important resource to manage while encouraging offense since you'd never run out of regular rounds (aside from having to pay for what you shoot like in WoWS.)

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

If you thought the T6 was fine, then you're going to loving LOVE the T7. It's insane and almost definitely going to get nerfed in the future. The T8 is meh, the T9 is good and with the top gun extremely good. Haven't gotten to the T10 yet.

Yeah I played a couple of battles in the T7 and I'm already liking it more, if only because it has better mobility than the T6, but it also has much better armor.

The T8 looks like it has a decent gun & mobility, plus armor that's riddled with weak spots; am I right?

The T9 looks like an improved T8, with a notably better casemate.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

McGavin posted:

And for the double?

:shepicide:

The World of Tanks Experience.™

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I havent played World of Tanks in several years but I just got a new computer that can run everything at full graphical boogaloo and man, I don't know WTF I'm doing anymore.

That's what I thought and it turns out I remembered how to play pretty quickly and was still better than 99% of the drooling idiots that play this game.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

BZ-72-1 is the tank tomorrow - apparently you need 375,000 free xp just to bid on it.

That's for the Asian server, though - who knows if it'll stay that way for the US and EU.

Apparently 15.1 million was the minimum accepted bid for the T-22 on the NA server, 22.7m on EU.

15 M was the minimum bid - and the maximum, because there were fewer bids than lots!

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I bid the minimum on the BZ-whatever because why not, I have a ton of holiday gold left over that I don't need for anything else, and then I went to work and let the auction play out not really caring too much about the outcome. It didn't win of course, which was a little surprising because of the cost and the results of the first auction, but I guess that puts the ballpark number of players on NA willing to spend large amounts of gold for new tanks at somewhere between 4-8k accounts.

I was going to make a comment on today's auction, seeing it was closer in price and quantity to the T-22 and not yet hitting the maximum lots, however it seems like the game has been inaccessible (at least NA, and the shop on SA, as well as the web site,) for the past couple of hours. Great job, WG! :jerkbag: So while I got a [minimum] bid in, I have no idea what the outcome was, although seeing as how there still was no competitive bid listed the last time I saw, I'm assuming the bids remained more or less frozen since nobody else would've been able to place/update a bid.

Update: I won the TD for the minimum bid. :toot:

Atomizer fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jan 27, 2024

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Mesadoram posted:

The first game this guy has was really amazing mainly because the spot he plays in I've never seen or use before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srWlAgLwwGA

I think I might need to try that out today.

I mentioned this a couple weeks ago when I was refitting all my tanks' equipment, but what he said at the beginning about the Cent's loadout was exactly how I felt about the high-tier UK MTs. They all seemed to be solid as-is without any glaring need of any particular equipment, so you can fit them however you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Mesadoram posted:

Double posting :blastu:

This streamers explanation of light tank chess is fascinating: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsUKIHzFL24

That counter-spotting bush line at the beginning is super useful.