Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
The T-55A is my waifu :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

First mission: top 10 XP for light tank. Can do that in my sleep, a bot could loving do it. Oh wait, I have to survive and win, too.

2 M41 games, top XP both times, top 3 damage, both losses where I died because my top tier heavies did absolutely loving nothing.

gently caress whoever designed these missions.

e: There were 3 people on my team in the second game, myself not included. Everyone else managed <1 shot of damage.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Of course, shitlers upstairs began torrenting mid-match. Light tanks handle 800ms pings well right guys???? Guys???

(please give generously to the Help Ross Drop In A Second Phone Line And Get His Own Connection Fund)

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

One of the missions requires you to form a light tank platoon.

gently caress you WG.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Trying to play right now is like taking to my stats with a loving hammer. Teams are all-in one side every match, blocking me, driving into my shots, dying without doing 2+ shots of damage, and now I'm also playing like a loving retard because it's my only chance at getting the stupid missions done.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Comet isn't as gofast as the Cromwell but is a solid tank in its own right.

Also earlier I solo'd a pair of T-54s at point-blank in my JT. Shameful.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

More like "I can't play the game at all because the pubbies have literally never, ever been even half as bad as they are right now because of these stupid missions".

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cardiac posted:

Speaking of TDs I am not afraid to face, how is the JT?
I have the Ferdie, rage-sold it and I am sort of thinking of going back to the line to get the Jagdzilla.

JT is loving awful. Literally the only good point about the vehicle is its gun; in every other respect it is garbage. No (real) armour, no mobility, no camo, no anything. I hate it.

Now the gun, the gun I love. For the purposes of argument, when the JT is already lit, stationary, and not being shot at, it becomes "the gun".

JPE is loving hilarious though, one of my favourite things to play on test.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Defeat
Battle: Stalingrad
Vehicle: Centurion Mk. 7/1
Experience received: 1,920
Credits received: 73,080
Battle achievements: High Caliber, Mastery Badge: "I Class"

So glad you got your survival mission bonus at the expense of an easily winnable game I did 5.5k damage in, Lorraine, you piece of loving selfish garbage.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Valle posted:

Some of them have bad wording, some are straight up wrong.
Wargaming hosed up? No, surely not!

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

God the loving JT is such a gigantic piece of poo poo. I mean, you really know you've achieved something incredible when even the British, builders of the TOG II and Valiant, are impressed by just what a massive steaming hunk of garbage you've built.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cardiac posted:

In game or in reality?
Cause Carius description of his sejour in the Jagdtiger was all but praising.

Also, I am happy Christmas break is over and my win rate has recovered. Looking at how my win rate as a function of time I can easily identify summer and Christmas break, cause gently caress those players.

Both. Like most things the Germans built, the JT could do one thing really well (explode tanks from miles away), but could've done that and everything else even better if anyone else at all had designed it.

To be fair to the British they were impressed by it for pretty sensible reasons. The fact a 70-ton behemoth could move at all back then, let alone so well over rough terrain with half its suspension missing, was certainly nothing to be scoffed at. It just would've helped if it wasn't otherwise a maintenance nightmare, if it wasn't a flagrant waste of strategic materials in every way possible, and if its role was something that was actually really needed at all.

Germany could've used like half the materials and a howitzer to build an ISU-alike, and it would've been far more versatile and far less stupid.

rossmum fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 17, 2015

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

demonR6 posted:

Rossum I tried to charge into you last night in my bote but you died before I made it to you. I wanted to ram you full speed but failed. Don't die so soon man.

I've been so loving dead to the world for the last few weeks that I can scarcely remember which game I'm playing, let alone how to play it.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

Tanks is the one where you point your front at the enemy, Botes is the one where you point your side at the enemy :mil101:

No word of a lie, pubbies have this backwards. It's loving incredible.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cippalippus posted:

Ever since I got to MT14 mission: kill a heavy tank, one tier higher than you, I've been top tier in all my games. gently caress you Serb, I know it's you.
This happened to me too. We've finally found the secret to never getting T10 games in your T9s!

(for about 5 matches)

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

warcrimes posted:

I'm sure the reason is the same for why they removed battle tier 12, nobody plays 10s. So instead of addressing that, they just destroy their most balanced tier(8) to feed more low tier tanks to 10s.

Cover story was, of course, to reduce tier 10 queue times. lel.

And yet every shitler on NA west, the most pointlessly low-populated server there is except maybe the Korean server, hits T10 and never plays another tier ever again.

Seriously wait times for T10s on NA west are as low as they get, but heaven forbid you want to play a T3-4 tank. You'll rarely see a 15v15 match outside primetime, and when you do, it'll be as bottom tier.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Just wait until you set up a perfect ambush on a higher-tier BB and blow it away with a point-blank torp spread, before he even realises you're there.

Or until you get one of the destroyers with tubes on both sides, and dive between a pair of oblivious BBs and sink both simultaneously.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Boats weekend client is taking so painfully long to update I don't think I'll bother this time around.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Poil posted:

No kidding? It's slow as a stock heavy with a broken engine and a dead driver, going uphill. Did they up the numbers of players a lot and didn't improve the servers or something?

I dunno, but I've also been having connection issues to NA West all day. Not sure if it's because of Boats overtaxing the server or what, but I think for once it isn't my shitlord housemates.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Context: a stiff breeze would've wiped out my remaining HP, and in a moment of desperation I snapshot the KV-1S in the side. I expected his tracks to eat the HEAT shell. I was so very wrong.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Aim low and centre. You want to hit the armoured citadel, not the superstructure or bow/stern generally. AP is best used against larger ships, HE is safer for picking off destroyers with your battleship.

HE crits stuff and lights fires but well-aimed AP loving wrecks.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

How to make light tank drivers cry, a tutorial by rossmum and the FV304:

This will go on YT eventually but the replay's there for those of you who do bother watching them.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

I just poo poo out like a month's worth of videos, by the way. I might actually catch up to my backlog sometime within the next month or two. Exciting times!

I'm also likely to stop doing WoT videos for a while since I'm not playing as well or as often and I've already got like a million reruns of Centurion Finds Hill; Murders Everything. I want to put up some War Thunder, maybe some other stuff too.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Yamato may have been a giant useless piece of poo poo best put to service as an aerial bombing target (so, a battleship then), but god drat was she a fine looking thing.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Darkrenown posted:

The best thing about the Yamato class is that 1 or 2 of them got converted to carriers... Massive carriers that could launch up to 45 airplanes! :downs:

One. Shinano was half-built and was a lighter armoured reworking of the design (armour was pulled from her belt and turrets to be placed elsewhere around the ship), but it was realised that Japan could only support so many giant fuckoff harbour-queen battleships and so she was converted into a "support carrier". The idea wasn't for her to be a proper combat carrier herself, more like a mothership for ferrying and servicing of other carriers' air wings.

There was another battleship based on the Shinano improvements under construction, but with the war priorities changed and she was broken up while ~30% complete IIRC. That left only Yamato and Musashi as active serving vessels. Both saw some combat but as stated before Yamato was pretty much just finishing off a doomed ship anyway, not the most glorious of combat records. Musashi was lost to air attack while in action, then Shinano got torpedoed in on the way to harbour by a sub and Yamato also fell victim to the USN's aircraft while in action. More than the Germans could say for Tirpitz, at any rate, and at least Shinano wasn't full of loving lumber.

Of all the great battleships of WWII, I'd say Yamato and Musashi were the best-looking, closely followed by the Iowas and then the Nelsons for comedy "why is half of my ship missing" points. That streamlined funnel, uguuuuu~

rossmum fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jan 26, 2015

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Stevefin posted:

I think who sank the Hood is just as debatable as who sank the Bismark, But I think its more credited to Bismark due to the ship exploded on its volley

But as for tech. Well its a battleship, All you can do is get bigger and better? though I think it had more modern AAA guns, since apparently they where so advanced they could not hit a swordfish :v:

Bismarck's crew claim they scuttled her, and in all likelihood that's what happened. When they found her wreck her superstructure was pounded into crap. Her hull was largely intact but for the torp damage at the stern (not bad enough to sink her) and a large piece that looked like it had been blown outwards - obviously not the work of the RN, and probably what finally took her down.

Honestly the point is kind of moot because she'd been dead long before she finally slipped under the waves. Whoever it was that sunk her just put her, and a lot of her crew, out of their misery.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Yeah, I was just about to correct that. Brain substituted "in transit to" for "in", my bad.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

For those who missed out on the weekend and aren't in alpha, Jingles got special permission to upload some gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebx89jbm2vw

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

xthetenth posted:

The German WWII designs sucked. The Bismarck was 5000 tons heavier than the Richelieu and got a few debatable advantages and disadvantages. With a weak stern prone to collapse, bad underwater protection and unprotected key systems she was very prone to hits damaging her capabilities, something a commerce raider simply cannot afford, and all of those weaknesses contributed to her getting turned into a smoldering pile of scrap unable to resist by a bloody 1920 design.

Their cruisers sucked harder. Look at how much more weight the Eugens needed than the British county class cruisers of 1928 to achieve mostly the same thing. Or their American, Japanese (overloaded but they did much more), Italian or French contemporaries. In fact, the Zara and Algerie are very good designs, and the French Algerie is regarded as one of the best treaty cruisers (the Zaras were a radar set away from fantastic). Half again the weight for not much capability if any, and a bunch more crew.

The German destroyers were big fat pigs, compare the 1936-As to the French Mogadors. Weep softly. Move on.

German aircraft carriers were actually just one lumber warehouse with a planned air wing that made British ideas look good. Sorry, but with access to Japanese practice, using biplane torpedo bombers for your scouts is pathetic. And 109s as carrier fighters is a very dubious idea. And guess what? She was way overweight. Half again the weight of the Yorktowns and an air wing of under 50 planes. If you like the small air wing of British carriers and the enclosed hangar with no armored flight deck of the Japanese tinderboxes, this is the lumber warehouse for you.

A running theme can be seen between German tanks and boats: they weigh at least half again as much as comparable designs to do the same (at best). Panther - 45 tons. T-44 - around 32 tons with comparable if not superior armouring and much smaller profile. Pershing - 42 tons, but with a considerably larger gun and designed by a nation with the industrial capability to support it. Christ, even the IS-2 (with better armour and gun than the Panther) was comparatively small and only weighed a ton more.

Also, the idea of landing a 109 on a carrier is horrifying. The things were dangerous enough on the ground. I can't imagine how carrier landings would've gone even in calm seas with experienced pilots.

Dalael posted:

Considering it sunk a battlecruiser in under 8 minutes, damaged another one badly enough that it had to withdraw, took a few torpedoes and still managed to sail away... only to be scuttled by its crew after a 10 hour battle in which it was badly outnumbered and reduced to shambles... I think Bismark did okay.

poo poo, I wasn't even aware that the germans had a concept for a carrier, no matter how lovely it was.

A battleship sinking a battlecruiser isn't that impressive, it's kind of the whole point. Battleships have armour, battlecruisers don't. The point of a battlecruiser is to not get hit by a battleship or you're going to have a super lovely day. At any rate, Hood was beginning to show her age and there was no way she could've survived a hit to her magazines. Bismarck would likely have been in deep poo poo then and there had KGV's gunnery not been hosed up.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

NotWearingPants posted:

The timer on battles is 7 minutes. A good result is to get out with 4 minutes remaining on the clock. To facilitate this, I've been pasting this at the beginning of battles: "Note: These games do not count towards stats. You get nothing for winning. Do your mission damage and get out so we can all start another one." I realize it sounds cunty, but some of these idiots try to cap for no reason or hide in the corners.

I dunno, watching our last living platoon member snatch a win by the skin of his teeth as one shitler drowned accidentally and the other drove in front of his pixel T-50-2 was pretty great.

Here's the correct way to do these missions: get 5 goons in a platoon, get in TS, get drunk/high/both, and just not give a gently caress.

E: since noboby's answered this question, do not loving use the D-25 on the T-44. Unlock the LB-1 and use that. Seriously, it makes your grind a lot shorter and your teammates will not want you to die quite so badly. Also, it'll help you get a feel for the gun when it comes to using it on the T-54 (which you want to use the D-10T2S on).

E2: reading is hard.

E3:

Fat Jesus posted:

I just know that someday I'll get a battle where some heavy on my team begs me to let him cap instead of killing the last enemy arty, and I'll say ok cool do it, and just as the timer hits 99 I will kill it. Because gently caress missions.

I have been doing this non-stop. God's work, IMO.

rossmum fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jan 27, 2015

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

I think you guys are overthinking WoT a bit.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

If you were in NDP I would probably transfer you the entire contents of the clan treasury for that.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

I am very pleased with the thread's new direction. Seriously.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

You can't help but be a poo poo heel can you. 480 healing to a Polar Bear makes a huge difference, holding W and left clicking on enemies in it gets you dead because it turns like a pig and the map is nothing but sharp corners. Have you ever loving played it? Because you sound like you haven't.

Arctic Foxes are the healers bro. Mammoths are there to tank damage and shoot enemies, at best they're a last-ditch "oh poo poo keep this guy up until a Fox gets here" measure.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Darkrenown posted:

Also, FTR-dude is saying the CDC sucks :confused:

As well as having generally terrible and reprehensible world views and a personality to match, he's not particularly good at World of Tanks, but presumably gets too much of an ego boost from being a "somebody" to realise he's poo poo.

From what I recall he's just barely above average, I think like 90% of the active posters in this thread would look like Camador when compared to him. Actually he's not completely awful, but he's certainly not good enough to be passing definitive judgement on tanks he plainly doesn't know how to play.

rossmum fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 29, 2015

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Yeah, I just double-checked. I thought he was like a 1200 or 1300 but I guess not. He certainly posts like one v:shobon:v

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Jesus gently caress the CDC is a dream. I mean, sure the test server is a bit skewy with squishy T8 meds right now, but goddamn. One game and I'm sold.

Biggest issue is going to be trying not to track myself gofasting down a hill.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Oh man, so many awesome things :allears:

Also after a mere 2 games in the CDC I will loving eat cardboard for a week if it means I can afford to buy this fucker right away. It's just so good. Possibly too good. Hightlight so far was needling a 4502B in the side and ducking back into cover so fast he didn't even have a chance to hit me because his big stupid gun wouldn't settle in time.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

He blamed me for "DDOSing" his site (he probably got hugged to death by Reddit or something) because obviously I am an Evil Communist out to silence the One True Voice of Liberty.

He's a shitbag bigoted libertarian retard, I called him out as such, a couple of other goons joined in, and the end result is him thinking I am the leader of some shady goon communist conspiracy against him personally. He apparently tried to get someone who made an auto-report mod or some poo poo to include my name on the list to get me banned from the game for the heinous crime of calling him scum, which he objectively is.

I'm not making any of this up, he does actually think there's some goon conspiracy and I am a somebody on SA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

That and he's just an obnoxious oval office. The only reason nobody decent has killed FTR by making a better site is because nobody else has the free time to do it. FTR is a news site in the same way Glenn Beck's show is news, it's 30% SS mistranslating things or not understanding the most basic game mechanics, 30% mocking Wargaming for petty poo poo like typos or demanding they donate the proceeds from special events to Czech veterans' charities instead of literally anybody else up to and including those supporting children displaced by war, 30% actual worthwhile articles (which all have the distinction of being written by people who aren't SS). The remaining 10% is pointless inflammatory bullshit which has little or no relevance to the game and serves only to inflate SS' already dangerously large ego.