Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Holy shit! I have a tail?!
Holy heck, they're *finally* ditching 'partially trained' crews? Everyone gets to start at 100% qualification? My god. It's only taken them....I don't even know how many years!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also, explain to me what's happening with the :downs: crewmembers and skillbooks in the next patch, as if you were speaking to a small child and/or a gifted golden retriever.

I'll try, but they've been vague as poo poo.

Crew skill stuff
- They're apparently removing 'crew skill' as a thing, setting everyone to 100%. So no more 50% or 75% crews.
- This means when you move crew over into a tank, their crew skill cannot go below 100%.
- You can retrain role for credits now. So comander -> loader or whatever.
- Instead of penalising crew skill for moving tanks they're going to penalise perk level. The example screenshot shown had free retraining setting perk level to 20%(!), credit retraining to 30%(!), gold to 100%. However, this was a screenshot of someone changing tank *and* role, so gently caress knows if that has an effect.
- No idea how this works with multiple perks.

Skillbooks and barracks
- Any crew members who have not trained at least one perk to 100% (and do not have a zero perk) in the barracks can be mulched into a skill book next patch. Or maybe you'll have to mulch multiple crew. Might be dependent on the xp they have. But simple is crew go in, books come out.

ninjaiguana fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Mar 24, 2024

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

So fun stuff on the new crew training , where - to everyone's *complete* surprise - Wargaming have managed to Wargaming all over themselves.

Latest news is that under the new method which will penalise perks when crew are trained on a new vehicle;

- Credit training will retain perks at A Number (possibly 50%; no higher than that for certain)
- Free training will retain perks at A Lower Number
- ALL perks on the crew will be nerfed, to the same level (so all to 50%, 40%, whatever)
- Players will have to buy off the XP debt to get their perks back to 100%
- This debt will be in the region of 45-50k XP - more than the current ~36k XP debt that's incurred for credit retraining (writing these numbers by memory, could be incorrect, I know it's definitely going to be higher than current)
- Players will *not* be able to use skill books on the crew until this debt is paid off
- Retraining perks will *not* affect the level of XP debt to be paid off; apparently using perk retraining to overcome the crew training XP loss as has been common practice for years was an exploit which this new method will eliminate, showing Wargaming have no goddamn idea how their own game works and never have.

So great job all round, the new method will gently caress over people with more highly trained crews more and will generally make things more annoying since the only way to pay off the xp debt will be by playing games or - of course - paying gold.

They could still change their minds of cou-ahahahaha.

*jazz hands* Wargaming!

ninjaiguana fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 28, 2024

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Mesadoram posted:

:allears:

It's like they can't help themselves. They NEED to do stupid poo poo to piss players off.

I'd say it's like watching that video of a racoon trying to wash cotton candy, but the racoon eventually learns.

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

8 games.

Wouldn't mind except my daily for three blueprint pieces is to win 4 games.

Oh hey, a fellow sufferer. 7 games;

Highlights include;

- All our high tier heavies going south on Westfield, leaving me and the other low-tier heavy to fight the north hills.
- Half our heavies on Redshire trying to scout and preditably getting shot in the face.
- Several more games where I could predict our loss within 30 seconds and do absolutely nothing about it.

I'm just trying to elite the IS! It really shouldn't be that hard.

ninjaiguana fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 29, 2024

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

What the actual gently caress.

Yup. Three Tier 8's - an Emil I(?), a Tiger II and a third one I can't remember at all. They wanted to snipe across from the south hill, you see. So me and the Black Prince got to get loving hammered by the enemy T8s in the north.

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Just had another one where *every* other heavy apart from me (and this was a 5 heavy game) on Serene Coast went south and then sat at our end of the island in a massive sniping traffic jam. Tier 7-9 game. We lost that one.

'Yes, of course I can hold the north by myself in a bottom tier tank with 175 pen, don't even worry about it.'

Rather than triple posting (oops) - is there some kind of event on or something that explains why heavies are so hot on sniping today? I swear I've seen so many more heavies just doing the most nonsense bullshit like they think they're TDs all of a sudden.

Including - this was a fun one - a KV-2 with a camo net equipped.

ninjaiguana fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 29, 2024

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Mesadoram posted:

That's just adorable :allears:

This was on the dreadful Redshire game. I'm spectating because I'm dead - me and the one other heavy who went that way having failed to hold the zeppelin against their forces - and I see this guy stop and hear the 'floomph'. It was definitely a moment.

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Man, some of these Tier 8 stock grinds are miserable. I've only recently made it to Tier 8 at all, and my first T8s were the Italian medium and heavy. Those have pretty decent stock configs. The Italian TD a little less so, that 175 stock pen hurts, but the actually good gun isn't *that* far away. But then you get to some of the Russian tanks and jfc.

(I've only played just over 2,500 battles. So as I understand it I am a mere babe in a tank.)

EDIT: Jfc. Tier 6-8 game on Prokhorovka, care to make a guess which grid square our Lowe - our only top tier heavy - spent the entire game in? Partial points for correct row or column!

EDIT EDIT: We were the South team, I should probably mention that...

Answer: K2

ninjaiguana fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Mar 31, 2024

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

I had a game today where I actually managed to shame the pubbies into doing something! We're North spawn on Ghost Town, it's Tier 4-5, and I poo poo you not we have half our team in A2 at the TD bushes. All the mediums headed straight there, most of the TDs as well (which is more reasonable).

I'm in a Wolverine and acting like a medium because gently caress getting involved in that traffic jam. In between getting kills in the hills I'm just constantly bitching at these guys in A2 and they actually did start moving. Eventually. We did win, so it's all good.

Immediately turned chat off after the battle so I don't get tempted to try again, I'm pretty sure I'll never be able to get pubbies to be almost useful a second time.

ninjaiguana fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 4, 2024

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Why do all the people who can't play lights emerge at the weekends? Siegfried Line standard battle, we're North spawn.

Guess on the grid squares our two lights spent the battle in?

Light #1: A1
Light #2: A5

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

You know it's a good evening of tanks when you complete the "do the most damage on your team" daily with 720 damage.

I seriously don't know what the gently caress is going on right now, but the EU servers are so abysmally hosed with unbelievably awful and stupid players. Just beyond human comprehension how loving poo poo these people can be at the game.

E: and the worst possible time to be playing either A) the Swedish TDs or B) light tanks. The Swedish tanks are good at only one thing (wanking in a bush) and that's impossible to do when the team in front of you melts in a minute, or just doesn't exist because 90% of the team went down one flank and got held up by a single enemy. Or because the enemy team did the same. And there's absolutely no point in playing light tanks, because you can literally have an enemy tank spotted for minutes and nobody shoots at them.

I think I played 12 games tonight, and one (1) was not a complete and utter clusterfuck where one team just disintegrated in under two minutes.

EU servers at the weekend do seem inundated with total incompetents recently. This is the third weekend I've really noticed quite a few of my teams being incomprehensibly poo poo. Like 'spotting a tank and then turning *away* from the newly spotted enemy to present their side armour to them with no other enemies in the area' kind of poo poo.

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Had a guy in a Forest Spirit spend the entire game ranting about how the game is rigged against him and WG are intentionally sabotaging him. His proof? He had fired nine gold shells at a hull down and angled 705A's turret without penetrating, and then got penned by the 705A's HE shell for 700 damage. He then decided he wasn't going to play this rigged bullshit anymore and drove into the enemy team to suicide.

Guy's WR? 45%. And no it wasn't Claus Kellerman.

E:

https://tomato.gg/stats/EU/GeneralMills-517614205 this guy. 31000 games and he's A) this poo poo and B) this clueless.

I mean, I consider it strike one when I see anyone in a Forest Spirit. It's definitely a 'whiny rear end in a top hat' tank based on my encounters with them on EU. I think they expect to be utterly invisible and unstoppable, and anything less causes them to utterly flip their poo poo.

Unrelated but I don't want to double post; I just hit 12 battle pass tokens and have been looking at the Tier 9s on offer. I don't *own* any Tier 9s - I hit Tier 8 a few months ago and now have 6 Tier 8 tanks, but have not tried to push to Tier 9 on any lines yet. I've been trying to avoid getting premium tanks at a tier I've not reached organically - is Tier 9 a big jump from Tier 8?

ninjaiguana fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 13, 2024

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Not really. Historically it's been viewed as the best tier to play at, because the worst you can do is meet +1 tier enemies, while you can face -2 tier enemies. These days it's a bit more complicated, because there's so many T8s playing (mostly busted-rear end premiums) that quite often T8s just play in pure T8 games, whereas T9s see T10s frequently.

But it's not going to be an issue for you to adapt, like it would be if you jumped from T3 to T9.

As far as the tanks go, if they're still offering the AE Phase 1, it's a very good and reliable heavy tank, while the Char Futur 4 is one of the most fun tanks in the game. I also quite like the Russian TD whose name I can't remember right now, but it's an acquired taste. From the more expensive ones, they're largely poop except the Cobra, which is the most fun tank in the game (albeit a bit tricky and expensive to play).

Generally, as always, I'd recommend going to Skill's website (skill4ltu.eu) and checking out his index to get his videos and thoughts on the reward tanks you're considering.

Thanks! I admit I was mulling over the AE Phase 1 and Char Futur 4 specifically, as I know I like heavy tanks with decent alpha and workable turret armour, and my experiences with the T71 DA and the Italian lines also have me enjoying autoloaders and auto reloaders. I know I *don't* like high ROF, low alpha guns (took me way too long to realise that, hello so many British Tier 7s I got frustrated with and dropped) and casement TDs. The AE Phase 1 feels like the 'safer' choice to me so I guess I just need to decide if I want to try for 'safe' or take more of a risk with my pick.

ninjaiguana fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 13, 2024

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

If you enjoy heavies, you can't really go wrong with the AE Phase 1. It's quite mobile, has a good gun, is really well suited for the game of 2024 thanks to its ability to play hull down really well etc. It's a very solid pick.

The Char Futur 4 is a slightly different autoloader, because it has a pretty long intraclip reload at 4 seconds, but that's necessary to prevent it from being 100% busted. As it is, it's just very good. It's fast, it's small, it's stealthy, the gun is accurate and hits hard. But because it can't just clip a motherfucker out in a few seconds, you mostly have to play it as a second line support sniper.

Honestly, I don't think you'd regret either. Personally when I first bought the Char Futur 4 a few years ago I was a bit shy about getting it because I figured I wouldn't be able to get the most out of it, but after you get used to it, it's very comfortable and a lot of fun to play.

Here are two of Skill's videos on those tanks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Gdv-ZxMwjg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTzx1pv5z_Y

Of course Skill is a very good player, but you'll still be able to get a feel for how the tanks play, as well as his thoughts on them.

Yeah, I just finished watching his most recent AE Phase I video. I kind of prefer to skew away from tanks that want gold spam to work well, so I'm now thinking maybe the Char is the way forward. 4 second intraclip is fine when I've been using Italian TDs with their 7 second intraclip XD

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Honestly, I'd say on the EU servers the game is becoming unplayable.

The players these days are so loving stupid and useless that it's hard to put to words. I'm talking "four mediums sitting in a bush, not firing a single shot at the five enemies spotted in open ground, because they're all sniping at enemies halfway across the map" awful. It's comically bad, and we're at a point where bots would LITERALLY be an upgrade over many of these absolute weapons.

I get that not everyone is going to be a Skill4ltu level god at the game, but I don't understand how actual functional human beings can be this bad.

I'm seeing some equally insane poo poo on EU servers. Had a game on Glacier with half our heavies sitting in a bush 'sniping'. Had a game on Pilsen where our Vk 100.01 - our highest tier heavy - decided to try and sneak down the 0 line. He ended the game bottom of the team with 0 damage. There's so many total fuckwits on EU I just can't even believe it.

Also, I've now played the Char Futur 4 and it loving rules. It's such a comfortable tank to play!

EDIT: Rather than double post, a question about equipment. Specifically, Vents. Under what circumstances do people consider Vents a worthwhile equip, if ever? Obviously rammer and stabilizer are no brainers 99% of the time, that goes without saying; for me Vents only tends to come in to the conversation when one of those isn't available.

For me I use Vents;
- On autoloaders, who can't fit a rammer
- On mediums who cannot fit a stabilizer

I am wondering if something like a turbo might just be better even in these circumstances though. Vents is such a small buff. Thoughts?

ninjaiguana fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Apr 15, 2024

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

I'm enjoying the 'Oakwood' style you can get in the Eagle Token store at the moment. It's the same for all maps, but you can choose between 'Ebony' and 'Ivory' styles.

https://imgur.com/a/biKPlWw

"Da comrade, I build this tank in carpentry shop in gulag. Good, yes?"

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Yeah, the Zadymka is *awful*. No armour anywhere and a distinctly uninspiring alpha. I laugh them off when I see them. Higher tiers are nastier though.

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

So I need to ask; is there some secret modifier applied to the T25/2? Because I had been bracing myself for this tank all the way up the line, seeing its terrible pen, and its so-so camo, and its tiny hp pool, and its non-existent armour, and its sort-of-fast-but-not-really speed, and I was ready to hate it. But my stats?

I am a 700 WN8 player. I'm posting more than twice my standard WN8 in this thing, and I have no idea how. And yes, small sample size, I know. But even so, I have no idea how this beater is performing for me.

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Nah, you just clicked with the tank. It's awesome when that happens, and well done! I had a great time with both branches of the US tank trees, and they both get incredible from T8 onwards, so if you're enjoying the T7 you're in for a great time!

I'm wondering if there's something to be said for a tank that doesn't appear to have any real strengths sometimes. Not sure I'm explaining this well, but for example; in some of my heavies I'll make (in hindsight) stupid decisions thinking 'If it goes wrong, maybe my armour/my hp can get me out of this!' Or in a medium 'maybe my speed can get me out of this!' And so on.

But in this thing? I don't feel I've got anything to fall back on, so weirdly I'm getting myself into less stupid scrapes and bad positions, because I think 'Well, I could...nope, this tank sucks, that's a dumb idea, I'll die'. I'm just playing more carefully, and it seems to be working. Now I just need to get my brain to do more of that with other tanks. XD

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

McGavin posted:

It is always better to just not get into stupid situations in the first place.

I mean, yes? I didn't think that was in question.

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Just had my first 0-15 in a while, on Siegfried Line. Apparently only 3 of us had authorisation to leave the area of the base, everyone else just stayed right there. Why even bother to load into the game?

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

McGavin posted:

I don't want to know how many games I've lost because a full HP teammate refused to take a hit.

I feel that. I find it bewildering that some players can be such total cowards. Your hit points are a resource, you manage them accordingly. Staying at 100% doesn't give you bonus xp or cash, at the end of the day.

Well. I guess it kind of *does* give you bonus cash, no repair costs if you take no damage! :thunk:

Today's fun hobby for me has been timing heavies who have decided they're a special snowflake who wants to strike out into open countryside rather than join the other heavies, and see how many seconds it takes for them to detonate.

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Fucker found the portal to 2015!!

Turns out, if you drive an ELC at 88 miles per hour and dial in your flux capacitor correctly...

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

I'm really confused by that G&P Tiger II. Do they mean for it to be a Tiger I? Because as a premium Tiger II it's so much *worse* than the tech tree version. As in, worse HP, worse gun, worse armour....why would you want this tank? I can only assume it's got some kind of massive maneuverability buff to make up for the fact its other stats are straight trash?

EDIT: Oh, wait, Tier VII. So it *is* a Tiger I. Well...ok then. Disregard. :P

Though as a Tiger I, looks like you get more armour in exchange for a pretty dreadful gun. Less damage than top tech, worse dispersion, *and* slower reload. Oof.

ninjaiguana fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

So, I have 12 more battle pass tokens burning a hole in my pocket.

Last time I purchased the Char Futur 4 and I absolutely loved it, it's an amazing tank.

Now I'm looking at the Object 777 II, Kunze Panzer, and AE Phase I. Any suggestions? I'd like a tank that works for someone who basically never fires gold and prefers a tank that isn't *too* focused on One Weird Trick.