Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I picked this game up a few days ago and I am planning on throwing a little money to get a premium account (I think tomorrow they are having a sale?). Right now I am trying to farm up some light IV tanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

serious gaylord posted:

What server are you on? The game is 300% better if you play in a platoon.

US. Eastern.

Also I'm not very good at the game and I only have about three days under my belt.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

MariusLecter posted:

Change to USCentral asap.

In game name?

Oh God. I signed up through facebook. Welp.

SIKE! is my in-game name. And I switched to US Central. I might not be able to play much as I have other nerdy obligations but every other day of the week I should be ok.

Katamari Democracy fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 28, 2018

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
Figured I would post on my progress. Lets take a look into the mind of a newbie!

Right now I am trying to save up enough credits to get my hands on the binocular telescope. I usually enjoy hiding and picking off shots as best as I can depending on the situation. I might see about grinding out a heavy tank but from what I know those are huge targets and I am not great at being the head of the pack.

Still, as much as I have read on people hating this game I really enjoy it.

E- Ah poo poo lets be real this is pretty much 95% of my experiences:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM4JK7FzFH8&t=423s

Katamari Democracy fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 31, 2018

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
Alright. My first Tier IV. I transferred some of my crew from the M2 and trying this out in randoms. And hey I joined a clan! Thanks goon.

A lot is different with this vehicle. I do not have enough to research the rest but I will come tomorrow hopefully. For now I am just enjoying throwing this out and seeing if it sticks.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Hellsau posted:

The M3 Lee is garbage and do not listen to anyone who says otherwise. If you have a 3+ skill crew and plenty of credits for gold ammo and all the modules unlocked and are already a great player with tons of map knowledge, the tank is terrible. If you're new it very well may make you quit the game, so please go ahead and play through the Lee and dissuade yourself from continuing to play World of Tanks.

I dunno.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
Alright gently caress that tank what should I go for?

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Katamari Democracy posted:

Alright gently caress that tank what should I go for?

Found it.

Sabaton!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT8MCiY44DA

I am joking of course. And I have seen the videos of it in action. That is beyond out of my league right now.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
Went ahead and bought that T1E6 light tank with 30 days premium because its basically a free garage slot / funzie tank to poke around with.

Hopefully I can platoon with some goons sometime today. :)

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
I went ahead and purchased the Churchill III from the shop to get into tier V and holy poo poo I feel like a bully. It also feels good seeing light and mediums scatter in fear when I go around corners.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
Oh yeah I usually purchase 15 Aps to sling out when tanks somehow don't spot me and I can poke out their treads. I think I hosed up on my crews training but hope to have it evened out in games as I'm learning.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
That Hopper guy on Discord is me by the way. That is possibly the best way to get a hold of me.

E- Also I am open to ideas on a decent T6 TD. I have been looking at the SU-100Y to get started but I am open to suggestions.

Katamari Democracy fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 3, 2018

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Atomizer posted:

Are you looking for premium TDs only? The Hellcat/Jackson are still pretty much the best at tier 6.

Not really? Right now I am still playing the Churchill III and learning. But I do tend to stay behind a lot and tend to enjoy picking off shots and doing a poo poo ton of damage. I thought about just buying a T6 to poke around in but I do have plenty of premium days and I need to level up my USA tree a bit to earn it.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

2Jets posted:

Dont. It wont be worth the money.

Some tier 6 premiums that are worth the money are the T-34-85m, the Cromwell b, and the Type 64.

But those are not TD?

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

CitizenKain posted:

It is a bad loving tank and you shouldn't get it, but it is a hilarious tank to use if you know what you are doing, and can deal with its oddities. Don't buy it. Yet.

If you must buy a premium TD, get a SU-122-44. It is an assault gun that delivers 122mm shells at someone every 7 seconds. You drive right up into someone's stupid face and vomit shells into them. Then you move on the the next.

Noted.

As for the options you listed I might not be ready for that tier just yet. But I will keep in mind next month. :) I think I need to toy around with the lower tier TD from USA like this post suggested:

Atomizer posted:

Are you looking for premium TDs only? The Hellcat/Jackson are still pretty much the best at tier 6.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Atomizer posted:

Funny you mentioned this and I took it to heart. No purchase necessary as all I had to do was research any T V tank; completing it ment I was able to get the Hellcat for free:

I am planning on going ahead and using all of my gold to boost training for my crew. I do not however have the XP needed to get the rest so I might just hold off on doing that. I also invited my brother to play and we are gonna tag team some lower tiers tonight to get him started.

So yeah Hellcat is now mine but it's not "Ready" yet. :)

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
drat when Arty spots me they really spot me. I die laughing when I hear the *Tank noise* then two seconds later the molecular structure of my tank gets deleted.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
I feel like a mouth breather when I play this game. I make a ton of stupid mistakes, but I guess that comes with the game I suppose.

On the plus side my Hellcat needs a little more games until I have it fully researched.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
Wargaming was nice enough to give me a free name change because I was a fool and signed up through Facebook. At least my in-game name now reflects my sa account. :)

My games this morning however were extremely great or downright poo poo. Either I get spotted and nailed to the ground by mortar fire or I am a snake in the grass finding light and medium tanks that roll by me. Hellcat is seriously fun to play.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
It's getting rather expensive to load premium rounds in this Hellcat. On the plus side I'm actually surviving games with 3+ kills.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Atomizer posted:

Yeah, that's a characteristic of this game. That's where having a premium tank to grind credits comes in handy. If you just focus on surviving and dealing damage, however, you'll remain in the realm of profitable. Just don't waste those premium shells (I run 18 AP, 12 APCR in my Hellcat, by the way, and running out of AP and having to unnecessarily waste APCR is a real thing; this is why the very similar Jackson is a little more flexible as it carries more shells.)

Yeah my mindset while playing Hellcat is to let light tanks scout and try to get a good position to hit people from the side. When the numbers whittle down and if I am still alive I go ahead and throw all my chips on the table and go in very aggressively. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

I am having a lot of fun with this tank and I think once I inch closer to T7/8 I think I might be good there for awhile to get my thousands of games in and hopefully learn something.

E- Oh also you do not use any heat rounds? I watched some guide voiced by a robot and I usually use heat on other TDs but then again I could have the absolute wrong advice.

Katamari Democracy fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 14, 2018

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
Ssssssssexy

Played a couple rounds so far today and I have been getting a lot of bottom tier games. While it really sucks being outclassed I have started getting used to the idea of not pushing into death and hang tight and let my team do some work. My first game of the day I forget which map but I carelessly drove forward towards mid with an I/O in front of me being focused by a tank behind me. I drive full speed near a wall to cut a corner and surprise him but instead the angle flipped my tank and that I/O got a clear shot of underneath my tank rolling in front of his screen.

I uhh...I need to quit doing that.

E- vvv Oh poo poo my bad. Sorry if I confused anyone.

Katamari Democracy fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 14, 2018

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

McGavin posted:

:yeah:

Edit: HE is very situational and if you don't know what you're doing you're almost always better off not carrying any. If you can't pen, flank. If you can't flank, leave. If you can't leave, you done hosed up.

Wise words

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
Thanks for the advice on T7 TDs.

Khablam posted:

Don't buy a premium T6+ anything if it's like your first week playing.

I was wanting to get my hands on a T7 premium so I can switch back and forth from my T6 and T7 to grind XP and credits. I honestly do not have any plans to start settling in anything higher at that point without games under my belt.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Do *not* buy the loving Scorpion. WG literally gives the thing away periodically because no one buys it due to its being terrible.

T7 premium TD = wait for them to do another E-25 sale, or if he's impatient, the SU-122-44. The Soviet TDs are pretty broken as well if he likes that gameplay.

Awesome, I might go ahead and skip out on the scorpion and go ahead and wait for that black friday sale I keep hearing about. Might pick up the SU-122-44 then.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Atomizer posted:

I wouldn't suggest a brand-new player jump to a tier 6 autoloader. He's still working on his Hellcat gameplay, i.e., not driving out and getting nuked as soon as he's spotted.

To be fair I have gotten better. Trying to grasp the whole "Figure out where to go next before you get to your destination."

Arty on the other hand I'm gonna jump on the bandwagon and say gently caress that poo poo. Most of the time I have zero clue where they come from before I'm looking back at the garage

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

2Jets posted:

Katamari, A tier 8 TD is going to be the best option unless they sell the E 25 again. I got the skorpion g before I had any experience playing tier 8 and it really didn't matter at all. I was just as bad as everyone else. Just as warning though once you buy 1 premium tank you'll be looking at another one. Be responsible you don't need every pos tank WG puts out.

That's why I have been doing research on tanks. And I have only purchased some of the lower tier vehicles just for fun and I could afford it. I do want to get a T7 tank and just kinda stop there for awhile. I do want that Primo Victoria one day because Sabaton is a loving awesome band and why do I not have it yet. :smith:

The T8 Scorpion G I am not sure if I would like to stretch my wallet out that much unless Black Friday convinces me otherwise.

E- I also got my brother (A goon) and my roomate (Non goon) into this game and we are getting poo poo on by T4 / 3. But we still have fun. Any chance of my non-goon roomate joining the Pansy clan?

Katamari Democracy fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 16, 2018

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

2Jets posted:

The E 25 is probably going to be available for 24 hours on Thanksgiving. WOT weekly dropped a hint about trying to get rid of some bugs.

I have been reading very great props about this tank and I would feel absolutely ashamed of myself if I bought it.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
Trip report on the Hellcat. So far it has proven to be an excellent sniper and I enjoy playing it whenever I can. I am sure however my win rate isn't that great but hey I am still learning and having fun. I think once my crew learns full concealment I plan on getting brothers in arms to help seal the deal. There are a lot of things I can still do better but eh, win or lose I am still having fun.

Both of my RAF earned a total of 100k XP so that nailed me a free 1mil credits. All of us have been playing T6 tanks to just have fun in and shoot poo poo around.

I do have another T6 and I enjoyed it when I had it during a rental in a mission:

T-34 is also a very fun tank for my brother and I to swap up in. He plays his Jackson and I play the T-34 and when I play Hellcat he plays on his. We both benefit from this in a tag-team and we usually nail 3-5 kills spotting and flanking. I am sure there are better tanks but for some reason this method works for us to getting the most bang for the buck for rewards.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
Guys.

I am gonna save the replay and put it to youtube because this is one of those games where I was chewing up people for making the worst mistakes possible at the right amount of time for me. It was absolutely hilarious and I wish I had my brother and I recorded when we did this. Game was absolutely priceless.

E- Replay: http://wotreplays.eu/site/4633718#westfield-katamari_democracy-t-34-85m

Katamari Democracy fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 21, 2018

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
Yeah I am gonna keep my wallet closed for a bit. I'm having fun in T5-7.

Wish there was a good heavy premium that isn't T8 though. Oh well, looks like I am gonna work up the Russia line with all these boosters I have lying around.

E- Yeah I got the Churchill III. I just dislike its cannon. Either that or I am playing it horribly wrong.

Katamari Democracy fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 23, 2018

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
I have been playing Marder II and Hetzer to have a little fun in TDs in earlier tiers. Always hated facing both of them and thought it would be funny to play on the opposing side. Holy poo poo are they very fun tanks to play with that suites my style.

When my brother and roomate come on I usually play on my Hellcat / T34-85M Combo. We have had some incredible games that were fought and I hope to share some of our shenanigans in the future. Now those T7 tanks I got I need a bit more time alone to get used to patience.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
I might try and grind for it. Should give me plenty of time now that I am done with finals at school. If anything the rewards just for grinding are a plus.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
This game is loving hilarious:

Fake Edit: You can imagine how my drat game went.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

McGavin posted:

Based on my average exp per game of 650 and the average battle duration of 6 minutes, you are correct. 150k exp is probably close to the theoretical maximum you could hit per day.

My God! That is how Wargaming makes their money!

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
So I signed up for that Twitch / prime thing because why not and while I am way too nervous to touch the T8 tanks I have for rent; The IS-2 Russian tank is actually VERY fun to play for me.

Like I said on Discord I am kinda hoping this tank goes on sale soon because I have so much fun in this tank.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Atomizer posted:

There are like 2 premium IS-2s (there's the IS-2M, which I think was just in the advent calendar thing a couple days ago) but you can get basically the same tank on either the Soviet or Chinese tech tree, the tier 7 HT.

Yeah, if not another one hits then I will just have to grind out the regular ol' IS eventually. But for the time being I will continue with my 50% win rate on this rental for the next week. :)

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
I think the Russian IS-2 is so great to me is because I tend to be a reckless player sometimes when I don't see an enemy in front of me for awhile. I know I probably pissed a lot of goons off for that way of thinking when I played with some of you but I still have my good moments on my Hellcat, T-34-85M, and Churchill III.

I'm also glad that my brother and roommate got into this game though. Us as a squad we have so many god drat funny moments. Thankfully I have some good replays saved so I can make a collage of stupid newbie mishaps / funny moments I have made while playing this very frustrating game

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
Wow. Those Christmas skins are awful.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
Would using personal reserves increase the speed in which you can complete the winter challenge? I have so many reserves and the next two days off that I feel like grinding as much as I can to try and get that SU-130PM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Atomizer posted:

That, and they make playing lower tiers feel awful, especially in terms of gun handling. That's why tanks like the M4 have awful guns that are only modestly-sized (~3") and are miraculously better a few tiers higher, or how the 57 mm guns are tack drivers at mid-tiers but are wildly unwieldy at low tiers as if they were huge fuckoff cannons.

My experience in climbing on the lower tiers felt rough around the edges. I will say playing with people has helped me enjoy this game a whole lot better than playing by myself for the community to tear me apart.