Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

So, I'm going to play this again. Did anything change in the last - let's say - year or so?

e: also which are the non-terrible tanks now?

R. Mute fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Friend, I know this game. I remember the pain. I want the pain.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

*watches as entire team camps one flank while I'm all alone on the other*

It's... it's just like old times.

*sheds a single tear*

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

WayAbvPar posted:

I finally stopped doing that. I go and hide behind everyone else, and shoot anyone who bitches about it. We still get :killdozer: but I get to harvest a few tears first.

e- don't we normally have a new thread for a new patch? Not that this patch did much to improve anything.
We actually ended up winning that match somehow. It was mainly thanks to one - literally only one - player on the other flank actually rushing forward and a KV-2 and some artillery making good use of the fact that the entire enemy team was huddled around my corpse. The good thing about World of Tanks is that the other team is terrible too.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Let's take a look at the pros and cons of rushing a flank with a heavy tank.

Pro:

Literally nobody seems to be able to handle an enemy tank coming from behind their lines, so you roll up the entire flank on your own.

Con:

You do pretty much the same thing, except this time you weren't fast enough to prevent your entire team from dying and you didn't have any decent players on the other flank. So now you're stuck at the end of the map, your only remaining ally lingering at the middle and two enemy heavies capping your base.

C'est la vie.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Y'know, when I see you guys posting about team killing people I usually don't remember why anyone would do that. And then I have a game that makes me remember.

The M2, in case you were wondering. Although it should've been most of them.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Valle posted:

Let's see here, your team did 9758 damage. Enemy team did 9444 damage. You have 1 tank left, a TD at that, and they have a medium and a heavy. Any idea what the remaining player's HP were? Because unless your SU was full and the enemy tanks nearly dead you got screwed over.
We were both halfway the map on Windstorm, doubling up on a T29 in the city near the southmost bridge, when the enemy started capping. A T-34 and the two surviving enemies. I dutifully headed back and got there just in time to find all three of them relatively undamaged. I killed the T-34 to reset the cap and got the IS down to about half his health before dying. The full health SU on my team, meanwhile, went in the opposite direction to take out I think one of their remaining arty pieces and cap. So yeah, that's how it ended. I sat back, typed 'Well, I did all I could do.' and gritted my teeth when the SU typed back 'np'

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

The Sau40... :negative:

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Hellsau posted:

Do not go up the French TD tree. The tier four and six are garbage, the tier five got thrashed by the TD view range nerf, and the tier seven, eight, and ten are very cumbersome. Poor armor and bad gun handling with crap HP isnt a good place to be.
Yeah, this is pretty much absurd. I've played a lot of bad tanks before and you mostly just have to find its niche to make them work, but the French TDs... man, they're just bad. The SAu has barely any armor, it's slow as poo poo and it turns like my pet rock. Maybe the final gun will be decent enough but the stock gun is laughable and even the first gun has been bouncing shots off light tanks for me. I don't get this tank.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Hellsau posted:

I hate Cliff because the games are never competitive. One team has more worthless shitbirds camping the west corner, that do fuckall while their team either wins or loses center/east and then they either do no damage or are surrounded and get some pity damage at the end.
I kind of like Cliff. I generally don't care about the east of the map, regardless of what tank I'm in - the west is where it's won. Well, it's where your pubbies will need the most help. Either you spot on the hill overlooking the west and prevent the enemy from doing the same or you push down the west itself, depending on the tank you're in. It's fun. People are bad at this map. They don't understand camouflage, they don't get that I know where they're probably hiding even if I can't see them and they don't know that I'm probably popping up from the same space because object permanence is not something they understand. And that western valley is made to exploit those weaknesses.

It's admittedly less fun when you're a bottom tier heavy or something, but that's true for pretty much every map.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The west valley itself is only an option if you are in a T95, and even then you'll just get arty thumped. The only part of that map that matters is the little hill in the middle-west.
Maybe it's because I don't really play above tier VII and that means splash damage isn't a huge concern yet, but I generally don't have to worry too much about arty with all those hills. I can imagine high tier arty and TDs change that quite a bit.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

I just had a platoon of two IS'es refuse to participate in a tier VIII battle because 'they were useless against IS-3s.' There were maybe three tier VIIIs. I don't understand. Luckily the rest of the team was pretty good and we wrecked the enemy team, but still.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

This was sort of depressing. It didn't feel like an especially good game for me, more of a 'everything is falling apart, let's do what we can and hope it doesn't last too long' thing. What with our eastern flank being entirely useless - check out those WZs. But the T-34-3, the LTTB and myself were doing quite well on our flank. I even took out the enemy T32 almost entirely on my own. But I feel especially bad for that LTTB. He did really, really well. Ehhhhh.

e: this is seriously turning into one of those nights

R. Mute fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 17, 2015

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Not a remarkably good game from me, especially considering the games I lost just before this one. But one thing stood out. I couldn't get a clear screenshot of it, but you can see it if you look closely.

No?

Imagine me side-scraping behind that rock, but really, I didn't even need to do that. I was on 190 hp for most of that fight, but once it came to them rounding the corner, they didn't hit a single shot. I mean, yeah, they were two KV-1, a KV-85 and a T29, but literally a single shot from any of them could've killed me. They had literal minutes to kill me, because I had trouble placing my shots through all the smoke and the wreckages. But they kindly just drove out and gave me their sides. Far, far too common.

I was afraid we were going to lose that match too. It finally came down to that SU-152 against the remaining players on my team and I swear to god. That T-43 charged him head-on, tracked him and then bumped into his front. And instead of just steering and moving to his side, it took three shots bouncing off of the SU's front before he thought of trying his sides. The SU, meanwhile, couldn't hit the T-43 at point blank range.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Why did I wait this long to buy a KV-2? This is actually fun to play. Feed me tanks.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Team KV to the rescue. El Halluf, big tanks go to the north and wipe up, small tanks die everywhere else. We were losing 5-11, considering nobody else on our team has killed anyone. So, we turn back, figuring they're going to cap. The AT8 played an excellent role here as he was a big, immobile target everyone on the opposite team wanted to shoot while my KV-85 buddy and myself lit them up. We pulled it back to 11-11, slowly chugged over the hill again and wiped out the leFH and the base camping platoon. Good. Fun. It's nice finding a random stranger who instead of being completely rubbish, actually works with you to rain death upon your enemies.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

zooted heh posted:

just started playing the game and im enjoying it more then I thought. the game put me off a while ago when I thought it was just snipers in tanks but playing a light tank and tearing through a urban map is very fun.

can someone run down what the best light tanks are? right now im happily using the t1german light tank with three crew members with some good results. I got the ace badge on it and I've only been playing a few days.
I guess we should warn you that light tank play is very different once you get to the higher tiers. You can still haul rear end even through urban maps and get great results... sometimes. But you'll more often find yourself turning a corner and finding yourself face to face with a gun that can one or two shot you. And unless you can get to their sides or back before they do so, you often can't even damage them. In many games, it's for the best that you don't even try to damage them and spot for your teammates instead. It's not like on the lower tiers.

That said, it can still be immensely fun. I love my T71. If there's ever a tank to show that you don't have to be helpless in a high tier light tank game, it's this one. Just earlier today I had top damage in a tier VIII game, four kills and a nice wad of XP. If you want to see an example of what it's capable of, Refried Noodle posted a really impressive replay on the last page. Supposedly the M41 Bulldog's even better, but I haven't played it yet.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Also a good idea: judge your light tanks on their ability to do sick power slides.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Missing Name posted:

MT-25 wins this as well.
Haven't played it, but it's like I can't not power slide in my T71.

Fat Jesus posted:

Weird thing happened, got hit with HE and killed all my crew putting me out of the game while my tank still has HP, didn't know that was possible. Observe- http://oi59.tinypic.com/2n8vrit.jpg
I think it happens when tanks drown as well. I saw a TD hit an arty who had flung itself into the ocean to drown and it still showed him doing damage.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Smh. A draw. loving Murovanka. Just a terrible map. After an entire game of bailing out my team, I'm left with the St. Emil (250 hp), while the enemy have the T-150 (110 hp) and the M12. The St. Emil is camping at the back of the map, the T-150 isn't stupid enough to rush in. So I go after the arty who apparently also had the same idea - so we shot each other. And then, for six whole minutes, nothing happened. The St. Emil wasn't moving, I couldn't see the T-150. Some people in chat were trying to bluff the enemy players, giving out the wrong position of the St. Emil. They didn't buy it, obv. And then finally, with two seconds left in the game, they spot each other... and the game ends.

I swear, I think the T-150 may have been stock as well, so the St. Emil could've probably just taken the hit. I hate this map so much.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Here's a nice game.

5% win chance, not even the highest xp at 1.118. That's a nice game. I love the T71. I'm bad at scouting, but I'm great at shooting motherfuckers while they're not looking. Pew pew pew.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

KV-2 tier VI game, I one-shot two KV-2s (which was really, really funny) and murder three other tanks (including an M6) for a total of 2500 dmg - so I guess that means my team has to make up for this and kill nobody so we could still lose. Tsssss.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

And now I'm on Steppes and I'm apparently the only one who thought of going west, so I get in a defensive position, shoot a passing Panther in his side for 900 dmg and ram him for 100 more. Then a T29 shows up, I shoot him in the side for a poo poo ton of damage, set him on fire, ram him and leave him at 29hp. Then I duly die. We've won while I was writing this post and I did top damage with two shots, haha. 2225 damage. KV-2 best tank.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Jesus gently caress this game right now

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Awww man. I just had a tier VII SU-152 game on Pearl River - I did 3275 damage and 5 kills, a T37 on my team did 2113 damage and also 5 kills. Once the T37 died, it was just me, an IS and an FV304 left versus an enemy IS, two Chaffees and a Type 58. One Chaffee is capping so I drive back and take him out. In doing so, I get shot in the back by the IS, leaving me at 150hp. I turn around, take him out around the time our IS dies as well. And then, somehow, that little FV304 started to work with me. I stick to the cap while he scouted the hills - unfortunately, the Chaffee pops up behind me and hides behind a rock in our cap. So I drive up, keep him pinned down while the FV304 takes him out. Only the Type left and he's been in their spawn the entire game - not AFK though, he had a kill. We head out, stick close to each other. The FV even waits for me when I fall behind. It was beautiful. But then he spots the Type 58, full health - and the FV is behind a bend so I can't save him. It's all up to me. I'm firing gold for 700 average damage - but he has 750, so... maybe? If I let him get away, he'll easily outmanoeuvre me and kill me from range. I drive up. I fire, he fires. If I high damage roll, if he low damage rolls...

So he had 38 hp left. Dang.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

It's like I needed to win that match to prove to the pubbies that teamwork was cool and good.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Things are going well, though:

Best bit was the Crusader SP on my team landing a 1000hp hit on the enemy landboat. The KV-3 is still goddamn amazing though.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Sperglord Firecock posted:

All I see is Overwinning and it puts a smile on my face. :D
It makes me feel special every time.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Just popping in to say Fiery Salient and Prokhorovka are terrible maps for bad people.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

I was just called a second account gold-spammer asshat by an Obj. 430 II who was obviously displeased with me shooting premium rounds through his face with my Tiger. What's the second account bit about?

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

I've got 5700-ish battles and I'm nowhere near blue or purple, so I'm guessing they're just not even thinking about what they're saying now. Not that they were before.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

I wouldn't put the T20 past 'decent' myself. I've played quite a lot of games in it though and I can't exactly remember why.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

You know how even at the best of times, your team will only have one good flank? And you know those games where you look at the map and realise you're not on it? Well then, you turn yourself into the good flank, manoeuvre between the burning wrecks of your allies, actually get flanked by Tigers somehow and you goddamn refuse to die.

Those four tanks below me were the other flank. I think I had the Tiger, the M6 and one of the dead VKs with me, who weren't very much help at all. It's weird, I love my KV-3 and I always do well in it, but I almost never have stand-out games in it. It's an incredibly reliable tank. And yet, I had my best game ever in it, base 2061xp. Shame people overlook it for the IS.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Do you guys have tanks you just cannot win in? My winrate for my SU-152 is just downright pathetic. 45% or something. But I'm not playing especially poorly or anything. I just lost six games in a row - I did poorly in maybe one of those. It's just utterly incomprehensible. It's like this tank was constructed on an Indian burial ground.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

I'm really appreciating the SU-152 now that I'm using the 122mm. Just churning out damage which is frankly unfair in tier 7 matches. I just had a match with three top tier 7s. I didn't even need my team-mates as anything other than meatshields.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

James Garfield posted:

SU-85 doesn't have insane camo, it has the same camo to two significant figures as every non toaster tier 5 TD (AT 2 and M10 aren't TDs). It also has 350 view range with binoculars active. 350 view range is really bad. You cannot play vision games with view range that caps out with active binoculars at the same as a medium tank with no equipment.
"Don't spot your own targets" isn't a good excuse, if you'll be sitting that far away you might as well play a toaster with a better gun.

It's ok to like or do well in bad tanks.

edit: that said, if wargaming ever nerfed the T67 it's closer; when I last played the SU-85 was a full tier worse than the T67, and probably worse than the SU-85B even without considering matchmaking.

rex rabidorum vires posted:

SU85 is done. The last game of course was one where everything kinda worked...5 kills 1200 damage. Meh it's gone soon as that sale ends. Hello SU 100 though you look might fine. Also after 3 games in the STUG without the top gun I already like it more. Whatever...TDs really aren't my thing, but if I'm going to get some of those high TD missions going to need a 704.

Edit: AHAHAHHA looking at the stats - 42% WR 600 damage per game with 167 assisted. Let that be a lesson DON'T PLAY SOLO KIDS.
I honestly can't remember what playing the SU-85 was like, but going off of my stats, it seems like it's a perfectly fine tank. It's basically a good preview of the SU-100 and the 122 mm SU-152. If you're in a Soviet anything, but especially TDs, you're going to have to accept their limitations - no turrets and terrible viewranges.

And speaking of the SU-152, I've finally figured this tank out.

That second game was especially nice because that Luchs just had an amazing game. A game on Prokhorovka where, well, let's just say only one tank went to the hill - the E25. So, yeah, it didn't go well. But that Luchs, man. He outplayed their scouts, did a bunch of scouting damage himself. When it was him and myself against the T29, the TOG and the Chi-Nu, he kept the T29 spotted while I drove down his health and then soloed him when I had to turn around to deal with the Chi-Nu and the TOG coming up behind me. He had to do two drive-bys, it was mad. He finally died drawing the TOGs attention while I positioned myself to kill the TOG. Rip, little buddy.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

I was just had a platoon of two 42%'ers block me in during an entire game. I'm already in an AMX 38, I don't need to be boxed in for it to be a boring, bad match.

In the end, one of them was driving into my front while the other had his side to my back. We were winning pretty handily despite being down three players, essentially, when an enemy M5 Stuart pops up - I start backing up and the combined power of my engine with that of the guy driving into my front pushes him back. So we slowly drive to engage this M5, like some sort of mutant TOG. Hilariously, I ended up as the last one left standing.

http://worldoftanks.eu/community/accounts/527379784-vimsen123/
http://worldoftanks.eu/community/accounts/503516206-maggen97/

My fellow TOG-members.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

To free-xp past the AMX 40 or not. Dilemmas.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

James Garfield posted:

The AMX 40 is a lot more fun than the AMX 38 and you apparently played through that :shrug:
I got past the AMX 38 in 17 games with a winrate of 59% - I gave up on the AMX 40 after 19 at 47%. It's just not a good tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Dear teammates,

I'm going to need you

to do something

anything

please.

My last four games. Actually, the first one wasn't that bad considering everyone down to the Comet pulled their weight, but it was depressing because it was one of those 'Good flank, bad flank' type of deals. The last game, otoh, was just pathetic. The other flank fell and the enemy team started capping. I was the only one heading back, but was jumped by the AMX, the WZ and the T44 along the way. I gave as good as I got, which probably meant the rest of my team would've stood a chance... if they had bothered to try to reset the cap.

Magres posted:

Most tanks are XP/Credit pinatas in the SU-122-44. The gun is terrifying
I've been playing the SU-152 with its 122 (which is even better, I think) and I can confirm. It's especially fun on the 152 because people expect the 152, so they charge you or stay out in the open after you've fired. That's just not a good idea. Just such a terrible idea.