Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

WitchFetish posted:

Do you have a video?
Well, here's a little something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqwGjPM8ioo

Just a captured replay with the more boring parts edited out. My own contribution isn't spectacular, sadly. Best bit is at the very end from about 3:00 onwards.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Atal Vataman posted:

yeah dont post about boats because its not allowed

*posts about boats*

I heard if you get that one premium battleship with the fast firing gun batteries, you can just double tap R and sail full steam towards the enemy fleet while holding the fire button down.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I haven't even gotten into any of the test phases or otherwise touched the game and I still MUCH rather read the botes talk than your incessant petulant whining about it.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Atal Vataman posted:

cool, then go post about it in the boats thread then.
Nah, I don't really have anything to say about botes.

I have a hint for you though: If you want to talk about tanks, actually talking about tanks would be more helpful than talking about other people not talking about tanks.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I just had my first encounter with an AMX CDC. It comprised of me ramming it to death. With the LTTB. Larf.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Cardiac posted:

Tanks is still more fun
From my experiences in the botes beta, I can actually tell you that this is, in fact, false.

Though I gotta say, I'm still looking forwards to all the various whining the premium Tiger is bound to bring up

"Wahhh it doesn't have the long 88! It's UP, buff it! :qq:"
"A bloo bloo my glorious Krupp warmachine is operated by inferior Asiatic Untermenschen :qq:"

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Oh, definitely. I'm just sure there will always be the vocal minority of super-pubbies who won't be satisfied because :pubbie reasons:.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I'm not exactly sure what portion of my battles tonight I've been bottom tier, but on a gut-estimate I'd say it's somewhere to the effect of 60-70%. it's been loving ridiculous.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Was browsing through some old poo poo, found this:

Once upon a time, I could still carry.

I really regret not Youtubing that match, it was one of my precious few Pool's medals and won me some gold in one of those XP contests WG used to have.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Fat Jesus posted:

goddamit I kinda like the Crusader but getting wins in it don't happen much - and I keep getting 1 shotted by anything with a derp. Only like 4000ish more exp to the Cromwell at least.
Weird thing happened, got hit with HE and killed all my crew putting me out of the game while my tank still has HP, didn't know that was possible. Observe- http://oi59.tinypic.com/2n8vrit.jpg
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that there's currently a bug with HE ammo, where if they hit tracks or spaced armor they can glitch out and kill the whole crew.

Space cash posted:

Tanks are most vunerable on their soft underbellies also I suck at making gifs apparently

The gif's good enough, and that is a beautiful kill. :allears:

Related:

Maimgara posted:

The german Pz 1C and Luchs tanks drive fast, handle well and have solid machine guns that can shoot vunrable targets very quickly.
We've been having quite a few new people joining the thread, so I'm gonna take the liberty of reposting these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUtrwfY2pSA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TamERVB59Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5zW9ihXf-4

A caveat for new people though: The Pz I C is a very polarized tank, in that it will absolutely shred the poo poo out of things on its own tier, but will be completely impotent against many things above that because of it's low pen. But get one anyway, because at its best it's ridiculous fun.
As for the Luchs, it has scout matchmaking that means it will see tanks up to three tiers above it, instead of the normal two tiers. And overall, light tanks take a lot of finesse to do well in, so be prepared for a steep learning curve if you decide to go up a light tank branch as your first thing.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Atomizer posted:

Wow, really? BRB, loading all my tanks with 100% HE.
Actually I misremembered the wording, it seems like it actually happens with penetrating HE hits. This is from the 9.7 test server patch notes:

quote:

Fixed issue in calculation of penetration damage to vehicles' screens caused by HE shells - when it was considered that the shell penetrated the main armor and the event "internal explosion" was triggered, which could cause injury to all Crew members, although in this case only some Crew members should be injured

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Uranium 235 posted:

The engines were too much for me--they were too loud and overbearing. I love the gun sounds though.
The engine sounds are way too loud and overwhelming by default, but really neat once you fiddle with the game's volume sliders. Namely, turn the Vehicle slider WAY down.

GF's gun sound mod has some really cool firing sounds and the shell flight sounds and distant explosions are great, but the ridiculous distortion on the higher caliber sounds is really stupid and I got tired of the performance issues it caused.

Been using the War Thunder gun sounds since they were included in Aslain's pack, they're pretty good..

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

LostCosmonaut posted:

It gave me credit for pushing him off a cliff, so I'm assuming no.
I'm guessing that the fall killed all his crew, thus giving you the kill, then someone else exploded his tank.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
To be honest, I'm pretty sure that person didn't even understand half of what you were saying. I mean, from a language standpoint.

That's what I most envy the US players, their pubbies at least speak the same language most of the time.

I'm actually pretty sure part of the reason I've never been chatbanned in this game is because so many players don't even understand I'm insulting them, because I keep calling them "illiterate drooling savages" or "knuckle-dragging paint huffers" instead of "gay poo poo noobs report".

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

texasmed posted:

What is this? Does the tank show up in different battle tiers than normal?
Some premium tanks (specifically the tier 5 heavies in this context) have eased matchmaking that lets them only face tanks one tier higher than then at max, instead of the usual two tiers. The Ram II sadly doesn't have this luxury. Also, WG are really hankering to get rid of the easy MM premium tanks, so get one while you can.

EDIT: Also, this 6th sense icon from Aslain's pack keeps cracking me the gently caress up

Nordick fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 13, 2015

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

xthetenth posted:

Tiers 1-3 are weird fun degenerate gameplay.
ftfy

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Why is the Type 59 legendary status now? It's not even that good of a tank, and was victim to the extremely rare premium nerf (WG doesn't like nerfing premiums, merely phasing them out).
Well, back when it was introduced, there were no tier 10 meds or TDs yet, and the high tier MM was a bit weird. In effect, the Type only saw up to tier 9 heavies and TDs, and only up to tier 8 mediums. So Types were always the top mediums in any match they were in, plus there were shitloads of them wolfpacking all over the place. Pubbies just couldn't cope with all that, so it got a bit of a reputation.
EDIT: Oh yeah, the ammo thing helped too.
EDIT2: And also note that this was also before the general MM tightening so people were going against them in tier 5s.

It's still a good tank though. Pubbies are poo poo at aiming so the armor actually works, it's mobile enough and the gun is decent. I don't think it was ever nerfed either, actually it got a little overall buff in 8.2.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 15, 2015

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Regarding the Type 59, here's what it says in the 8.2 patch notes:

quote:

Type 59:

Increased the traverse speed from 45 to 46 deg/sec.
Reduced the gun dispersion during vehicle rotation by 5%.
Reduced ground resistance by 10%.
Changed the Norinco 12150L engine tier from IX to VIII.
Repair cost of Norinco 12150L engine has been increased by 22%.
Weight of the hull increased from 15,400kg to 16,478kg.
Armoring of the Type 59 turret increased from 104mm to 130mm.
Armoring of the Type 59 hull sides decreased from 65mm to 60mm.
Reloading time of the Type 59 100mm gun increased from 8.0 sec to 8.7sec.
<penetration and damage buffed> *
Increased the tower traverse speed from 45 to 46 deg/sec.
*: I truncated the shell-by-shell breakdown for clarity.

As far as I can tell, that overall buff was the last time the tank has been touched.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Mesadoram posted:

Dat log.

Seriously though, that tank can be quite scary. Gun can lay down the pain if left alone.
Also it won't keel over and die if a medium jumps you in it, since it can actually turn fast enough to keep up with circling attempts, and the bulky gun mantlet anad sloped plate will deflect a good number of shots.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Goddamnit, every time the MM throws me a bone I just gently caress it up.

Somehow it threw me into a 10 vs 10 battle of a few tier 4s and mostly tier 3s in my Luchs, which should be a complete slaughter.

Well, I got completely clowned by a Marder that destroyed both my engine and track AND set me on fire with his first shot. Of course, I carry premium fuel in this tank instead of an extinguisher because lol gotta go fast :rice:. I assume I got unspotted since he didn't finish me right away, so I got to sit there smoldering while my crew repaired the engine (I reflexively blew my repair kit on the track instead, of course) and got to limp away behind a building. Then the Marder just barged around the corner and finished me off because I managed to fire most of my clip wildly into the air somehow.

Sometimes I don't know why I even bother. :suicide:

Nordick fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 21, 2015

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Well it's not like I just yoloed across a field into a gun line or anything like that. It was just me vs that Marder in what should've been a cut-and-dry situation. I was creeping up to flank him like I've done a million times, somehow it just immediately escalated into that sad comedy of errors.

EDIT:

That's more like it. :smugdog:

(The MM gets pretty weird at these really quiet hours)

Nordick fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Apr 21, 2015

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Hellcats catch fire with alarming regularity when you slam an HE shell clean through their paper front plate.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I keep 3 rounds of HE on the E-50 because it has so much ammo anyways, but even shooting at Waffles you occasionally hit the gun and do like 17 damage. HE is garbage.
AP shells can hit the gun for 0 damage, or the tracks for 0 damage, or deviate Just So that they ricochet. Doesn't make AP garbage.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Not with waffles they don't.
Yes they do, I have seen my fair share of hits on rhoombas and whatever paper tanks do jack poo poo because they just hit the tracks or the side of the gun barrel or whatever.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Azhais posted:

my awfulpanther bounced two shots from a WT E100 earlier today. Bet he wished he had HE loaded!
It wouldn't have made a difference, which is my point.

EDIT: Really, all I'm saying is "you shouldn't fire HE at paper tanks because the shot might go awry and not have the intended result" is a bit silly because the same applies to any shot you take.
Have a shot at someone's juicy sice, but he's a bit far away? Don't fire, the shot might miss!

Nordick fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 21, 2015

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Desuwa posted:

Taking a shot where the risk outweighs the potential reward by so much generally isn't worth it.
Yeah, obviously there is a lot of risk/reward weighing to be done about when to fire HE. I just think the whole "literally never fire HE because it might not work" is a silly, knee-jerky and binary reaction. I know it's sure as hell paid off for me far more often than it's backfired.
As for new new players, well they have the info on how HE works, it's not our business to babysit what they do with that info. If they don't try it they'll never learn it.

Also, as CitizenKain said, it's fun to futz around with.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Blindeye posted:

Okay so...about the M2 medium...how the he'll do I make this guy work? The only fun with penetration is a 37mm and it is a big, slow target. Not to mention the IV and V tanks rip through it.
It has absurdly good gun depression, so if you can find a hill to peek over, you can use that to your advantage.
Other than that, it doesn't really have anything going for it. Just keep at it, it'll be over soon.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Blindeye posted:

Well, at least can I hope the M3 is more usable?
Well I was just about to add a thing about that.... The Lee is a notoriously awkward, difficult tank. The gun is mounted very low on the hull, and the tank itself is a stupid tall box of a target, so it's really hard to get to a good firing position. It has obscene damage output for its tier though, and will chew poo poo up if you get to actually shoot things. But, as said, that's very finicky to do. It plays a lot like a retarded, malformed TD.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Speaking of HE shells and tier 4 tanks, here's a match where I (after some initial sniping) just go "gently caress it" and assault gun my way through some tier 6s in my SU-85B. A bunch of bad pubbies, silly HE experimenting and stupid blind luck involved.

http://wotreplays.com/site/1817507#erlenberg-palantyre-su-85b

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Steelion posted:

e2: I'm curious, are there any good 76mm soviet guns?
The 76 mm that's just garbage on the T-34 is actually pretty good on the A-43. It gets a pretty massive RoF boost and better handling too. It's pretty much on par with the Easy 8's M1A2.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
So I was looking at my stats on VBaddict just out of idle curiosity, and discovered this:

It appears I'm a filthy stat-padder! :confuoot:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Babe Magnet posted:

<pubbie rage>
Man, your roomie sounds like such a pleasant, well adjusted individual. :v:
I mean yeah, this game is very, very good for bringing out the raging lunatic in everyone, but god drat.

Ask him what his winrate is.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

CitizenKain posted:

So that premium T-34-85 Rudy tank has a Dog crew member. That is pretty much the best thing.
My clan is gonna have a loving field day in chat with that thing. :v:

WayAbvPar posted:

I shot an SU-14-2 with my 13 90 twice from literally 5 yards away and did no damage yesterday. No bounce, just 2 shots that loving disappeared.
Most recently I had an SU-152 fire a derp cannon HEAT shell at my Luchs from like 15 m away. He hit the track for no hp damage. Then I finished my reload, clipped him in the face and killed him.
There's no magic to it though, it's just RNG/bad aim/both throwing the shell low enough that it hits the track but passes underneath the hull.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 27, 2015

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

To be honest, my opinion is probably clouded by having played almost entirely in tier VII. Out of interest, what gun would you recommend? I've been using the QF 6-pdr so far.
That's what I always used in it, for the better pen especially with APCR.

It's a drat good tank, but frustration is understandable if you've been having a streak of bad luck.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

ELI PORTER posted:

Yeah, they do seem better, but I'm curious to try a gun sound mod out.
I used to have the same problem, but far as I can tell the later versions of Gnomefather's have at least alleviated the issue somewhat. Either that or I got used to it. :v:
As for other mods, there's a gun sound pack ripped from War Thunder ground forces. I think they're overall better than WoT's sounds, and don't cause any performance issues at all. The mod lacks the cool distant explosion sounds and other cool effects of Gnomefather's' mod, but is a good intermediate option. Aslain's mod pack includes it, probably other packs do too. It's what I currently use, since I got annoyed by all the stupidly distorted big gun sounds in GF's mod.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Yeah the T25 AT is really good. It has a good gun with great depression, some armor to bully lower tier dweebs and it's pretty quick. Imagine a 122-44 that traded away some alpha and dpm for a boost in just about all other gun stats. Easily one of the best tier 7 TDs, imo.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Bunch of guys posted:

stuff about the AT 15
Sup.

'Tis a great tonk. Highest average XP of all my vehicles, too. Well, apart from the T1 Heavy, but that only has 7 battles that were a good streak, instead of a pretty decent sample size of 183 battles.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah I like the Archer as well. The silly gimmick is amusing and the gun is pure murder when you get to set up. Also the quick reverse into cover saved my rear end a lot of times.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

ROFLburger posted:

which one of you guys had that hilarious sixth sense icon with the guy with the bug eyes? I want it and i can't find it

e: this one

I dont see it in aslain mod pack
That was me. Or is me, I'm still using it. And I just checked, it's still there in Aslain's latest version. It's John Cleese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Axetrain posted:

It's also the only tank I have played where the lack of elevation has hosed me.
I assume you've never played the SU-85B, then? Because holy poo poo that thing can't shoot upwards at all. It's a pretty hilarious achilles' heel in an otherwise brilliant TD.