Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Thanks, I'll check it out when I get home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

I don't have links handy but he's kind of a racist Czech nationalist. Also this, regarding Conchita Wurst

e: oh didn't know about the DDOS claim. he's an rear end in a top hat either way

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Game hangs at battle loading screen and doesn't display team members. Possible NA-EU issue? I can play NA replays. If anyone else has some teachable 59-16 replays I'd love to see them.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Thanks for posting that, I ended up watching the entire thing.

WitchFetish posted:

Eh, it looks good, at least

How is it? As a mediocre tanks player I have that in my sights as the best I can realistically hope for from the personal missions any time soon, the stats look good from what I've seen.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Missing Name posted:

I'm stuck on that loving "heavy go cap and also shoot things lots of times" mission.

HT-7. It sounds like some sort of chemical warfare designation. Nope, it's WG's latest psychological terror campaign.

Don't think about it, just pretend that mission doesn't exist. I'm on it right now and it's the only way I've kept my sanity, try as the pubbies might.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

xthetenth posted:

Important question: Can I name a soviet ladycommander Oktyoberskaya (sp?).

Oktyabrskaya

октябрьская

or even

(first name) Iosifovna Oktyabrskaya
(daughter of Iosif/Josif)

I'm not a native Russian speaker though, EE would be able to help you more

e: oh I see what you mean, the actual lady tanker. That's pretty cool.
also, so that's where the 'Fighting Girlfriend' inscription comes from, did not know.

rockopete fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 3, 2015

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Illegal Carrot posted:

Anyone want to make a team for the next tournament? Registration ends on February 8th, and the tournament runs from the 9th to the 13th, with a 10k gold grand prize. Teams are 4v4 (with 2 reserves per team), tier 5 max.

http://worldoftanks.com/uc/tournaments/1101-Weekday_Warfare_5/

20 point max, I assume points are tiers? So four Tier V tanks would be 20 points, etc.

I'm in except for Wednesday the 11th (round 3) and possibly Friday the 13th (round 5). I should know about Friday early next week.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Subyng posted:

Anime is actually good* though

*not universally but there exist many good examples within the genre

Anime is fine, I reserve my disgust for the crowd with young girl avatars that INSIST there's nothing sexual or creepy about it, the girls are 18 in the show's canon, you know, big eyes just look happy, not young, Japanese culture is different, Asian women always look younger, etc etc

(shamelessly stolen from KaiserSchnitzel)

now wait a second

totally different, see

rockopete fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 4, 2015

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Illegal Carrot posted:

The absurd part is that artillery has changed so little since then, despite all the money, feedback, and resources WG has acquired over the years.

What about the massive accuracy, bloom, and travel time nerf? I can't remember the exact patch but I want to say 0.8.0 or late 0.7.x? It's a valid view to hold that arty was and is broken, but it has definitely changed a good deal since being the absolute game-breaking terror it used to be.

quote:

I know nobody gives a poo poo about my opinion on this, but here we go: Start by increasing arty's splash area of effect, lowering it's HP damage, increasing its module damage, and further decreasing its accuracy. Suddenly arty is less reliant on waiting 10+ seconds to perfectly aim its shots, is less likely to one-shot enemy vehicles, is less likely to score direct hits, is still rewarded for near-hits, and is better able to help the team by causing module/crew damage (ie shearing off equipment and stunning the crew). In any given match, arty should play a similar role as a KV-2 does in a tier 8 match: to damage enemy modules and chip off HP, while the brawlers and front line fighter do most of the actual heavy lifting. On the other side of things, non-SPGs would be less likely to get directly hit by arty, less likely to get one-shot by arty, less afraid to expose themselves to indirect fire, and overall less upset when actually hit/damaged by artillery. Increase arty's rate of fire, and include Battle Assistant by default, to make arty slightly less god awful and boring to play. Include a whistling noise to incoming indirect fire (some sound mods do this already) by default, so players know when they should take cover, and when it's safe to move up. Then hard cap arty to a max of 2 per team. This all might not perfectly solve the problem, but it's drat sure way better than what we have now.

Interesting, but too RNG-dependent for me. Arty already requires much less skill than regular tanks, but these changes would drop the skill ceiling a lot more and I'm not sure I like that.

Dalael posted:

*braces for the incoming hate*

Don't do this. It's the worst sort of cringey 'self-aware' reddit poo poo and it makes it much harder to take your post seriously.

I agree with your points, though.

Saint Celestine posted:

Hasso von Manteuffel, commander of the 7th Panzer Division, was interviewed by Basil Liddell Hart after the war for his book The Other Side of the Hill (1948).

"Tanks must be fast. That, I would say, is the most important lesson of the war in regard to tank design. The Panther was on the right lines, as a prototype." "...Fire-power, armour protection, speed and cross-country performance are the essentials, and the best type of tank is that which combines these conflicting requirements with most success. In my opinion the German Panzer V, the 'Panther', was the most satisfactory of all, and would have been dose to the ideal had it been possible to design with a lower silhouette."

Wasn't the Panther transmission pretty terrible, though? I seem to remember a goon making a large effortpost on the Panther in the official forums that mentioned this, like it was so bad that you couldn't downshift without serious risk, or something like that. Or is that what von Manteuffel meant by 'as a prototype'?

rockopete fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Feb 5, 2015

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

argh doublepost

rockopete fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Feb 5, 2015

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Ensign Expendable posted:

Yes, also the engine. The later ones, after the kinks were ironed out and power dialed back, were still only as reliable as MS-1 engines from the 1920s.

Right, and I'm reading something linked from your site that the final drive was so inadequate that the tank couldn't even turn while reversing. Yow.
http://tanksandafv.blogspot.ca/2014/02/panther-reliability.html

Also here's the WoT forums post I was thinking of, it was rossmum. Good post.

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/327199-our-problem-child-a-teardown-of-pzkpfw-v-panther/

rockopete fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Feb 5, 2015

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Animal posted:

So whats the best artillery tech tree to complete the missions? I haven't played artillery since beta because clickers are subhuman scum.

The tier VII GW Panther in the German line is handy for this, with a massive (60 degree?) traverse thanks to its semi-turret, 0.7 accuracy which is among the best at that tier and above, and the full variety of ammo--3m radius HE, HEAT, and 5m radius HE. As artillery goes, it's one of the least painful to play. The IX and X French have .02 better accuracy but crap splash and the same alpha as the GW but 2-3 tiers higher, and the tier X Soviet Obj 261 has .06 better accuracy but a tiny traverse and a very low arc.
Downside is that it doesn't quite have the alpha for some of the T-55 and Obj260 missions, and rest of the German line is only so-so.

e: also, SPG mission 6 for the 260 requires your arty to do damage to vehicles 2 tiers higher than yours, so even if you wanted to do everything in a tier X, you wouldn't be able to. There may not be a single tree that works best for these missions...

rockopete fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 5, 2015

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Poil posted:

Seriously, is there anyone more butthurt than goons who are forced to have their delicate senses violated by anything anime? :allears:

It's not 'anything anime'--off the top of my head, I'm a fan of Cowboy Bebop, Attack on Titan, anything Miyazaki, even the poo poo Fatal Fury animes, if it matters--it's the creepy obsession with neotenized girls. Which is proudly displayed via avatars, sigs, etc on the official forums.

quote:

but considering the thread we're in goons do not really have any moral high ground beyond "tanks are less creepy than cartoon highschool girls"

What are you trying to say with this phrase? I want to understand your meaning but you're referring to some context I guess I don't have? An infatuation among grown men with cartoon girls who exhibit childlike features and behavior is creepy regardless of the game or medium.

rockopete fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 5, 2015

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Poil posted:

Maybe it's just me but it seems like anytime anything anime shows up here so many people get upset about it and start hurling insults and whatnot. Like the picture someone (on the WoT forums?) posted with their computer and anime posters and goons jumped at the chance to speculate about that person's hygiene and masturbation habits. It also seems a bit hypocritical since some here have proudly showed off the plastic tanks they've bought and put on display at their desks. As if there is much, or even any, difference between those behaviors.

Sorry that I wasn't clear, and probably still isn't.

The hygiene/masturbation talk is goons being assholes, absolutely. But there is a huge difference that you skim over--tank models are representations of objects while posters of neoteny-afflicted anime girls are distorted representations of human beings.

quote:

But the average anime watcher

Again, we're not talking about the 'average anime watcher', we're talking about a small subset.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Uranium 235 posted:

:eng101: A Churchill III in North Africa disabled Tiger 131, which was the first intact Tiger captured in the war, and is the only functioning Tiger left in the world. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_131#Capture

edit: Tiger 131 was used in the movie Fury

This is just too awesome.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Prav posted:

I just remembered how big the cupola is on the AMX 30.

Yeah that 80 mm @ 73° roof won't do one bit of good. Just look at that loving thing. You'd think it was american.

And the mantlet will probably bounce most (but not all) shells, but the cheeks sure won't.

Ahahaha I can see people swinging the turret back and forth like they do with with the IS-3's hull. AMX 30: Nuh-uh!

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Vengarr posted:

I'm saying it's so generic and inoffensive by Japanese standards that moms play it.

And yeah, of course there's worse out there. You have no idea.

Oh right, Japan, that beacon of equality between the sexes and flexible gender roles. Using Japanese standards to judge anything having to do with women or the portrayal of women is a laughably bad idea and is one of the more well-worn justifications employed by the sketchy avatar crowd, hth.

e:

James Garfield posted:

Have you ever wondered what boats forum posters think about women females?

Context: forum poster is accused of being a feminist for suggesting that a boat movie might include a sailor's worried mother at home

In the same thread, they praise a Japanese film about the Yamato that includes women.

what a massive surprise.

poster discussing a potential Bismarck movie posted:

I, frankly, miss the great war movies of the 1950s-70s that did their utmost to limit women to a supporting role and focus on the action. The drama involving Bismarck's story isn't necessarily a male-female one; it's a human tragedy on an immense scale. You don't need to inject a token babe into that narrative to make it sad and terrible and brilliant. Well... actually, it suddenly comes to mind that Saving Private Ryan didn't go that route, and it was both recent and superb. So there you go: I want Saving Captain Lindemann.

Like, I think what he means is "I don't want love stories in my war movies" which I get, but why can't he just say that? It reads like to him, women are foreign entities concerned mainly with the Wiles of Love.

rockopete fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 5, 2015

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Vengarr posted:

I just don't know who is being serious anymore

Nor do I. Are you seriously unaware of the gender norms in mainstream Japanese society?

e: ah I see what you mean. I don't think it's promoting violence against women. It's definitely sexist and skeezy as gently caress, though. And I forgot, Pokemon lose their clothes as they get beaten up, how silly of me.

rockopete fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 5, 2015

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

So is PANSY doing a tourney next week or what's happening with that? Someone asked for interest and I said I'd be up for it but I haven't seen anything since.

And I'm asking in this thread because I'm pretty sure this is the thread in which that was posted, as opposed to the PGS PANSY thread.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Shutting up about anime, sorry for the derail.

Illegal Carrot posted:

But none of these changes have actually impacted arty in any meaningful way. In a tank, it's still terrible getting gibbed by arty out of nowhere, and as an SPG it still sucks when your shot whiffs and you're stuck waiting another 80 seconds for the privilege of clicking once on an enemy tank. No one is having any fun there, and the only thing those arty nerfs accomplished was slightly shifting the balance of who feels frustrated when, and how often. With the increased transparency and better understanding of game mechanics and hidden stats, as well as the development of Battle Assistant, Sword of Damocles, red ball/pole, and other arty mods, I'd bet that any competent arty player is in just as good of a position as as they've ever been. And with the inclusion of a wider variety of SPGs (ones that can reposition quickly, ones with a quick rate of fire, ones with near-vertical impact trajectories, ones with autoloaders, etc.) the entire class' mechanics have been stretched to the breaking point, with no real solution in sight. Again, I just want to know if there's any official word on the matter, if there's any end to the problem in sight, or if there's any potential solution to this that I might just be missing.

I haven't seen or heard any official word recently. You make good points, I have a hard time seeing how it can be balanced/made fun for all without fundamental changes. Maybe cap it at two per game, or drop the top two tiers and make tier 8 battle tier 10? Like it used to be except retaining the nerf and current alpha. Or maybe add setup and teardown times? That would have the added bonus of actually using the metal anchor/stakes present on so many of the models.

quote:

Including you, we have three players, which means we'd need another three to have a full team. Deadline for signups is the 8th.

Okay. Do you have a link to to the roster? I'll have to miss Wednesday and maybe Friday so at least one reservist will definitely get to play. Join up for free gold, people, you don't need skill, just a tier 5 and the ability to listen!

rockopete fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 6, 2015

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Slow, armored, gun is like an inverse of the Churchill's, ~110 damage but ~90 pen. Horrible gold pen, like under 110, which is the dealbreaker.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

James Garfield posted:

What about the ships forum?

I know it's nothing that unusual but :lol:

God, if only he actually meant it.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Rorac posted:

Hey, check it. They've brought back the RNG videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4OGbtCljik

Sweet, I always loved these.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

SARSfest posted:

Truly life is suffering.

Who did you rage-kill?

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

WayAbvPar posted:

Well I have just been educated by this shitlord esteemed WoT player. He posits that win rate and stats are meaningless. Further more, win rate is only data, and that I obviously don't know the difference between data and information. And something about TOGs having to fight tiers 7 and 8 (although he was in a Matilda BP at the time, so I have no idea what that was about).

You learn something every day, I guess. At least people who can fog a mirror and point their tank gun at red tanks and click the LMB occasionally can. I am not sure most of the 'players' are even sentient any more.

6,715 battles fought,
4,382 in one of three tanks:
TOG (2,986)
Matilda BP (730, out of 867 total medium)
Valentine (666)

And a 46.5% winrate, of course. I get the novelty of the TOG, but what possessed him to play the MBP that much? He has the Church III and T14 as well, so it's not like he's lacking for forgiving premiums. Or training a crew, his other mediums are the British tier I and the US M7. Wow. Your last point is well taken.

rockopete fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Feb 9, 2015

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

rossmum posted:

The last thing the game needs is more loving TDs.

Hopefully the TD view range nerf will help there. If there's anything pubbies are truly poo poo at, it's scouting.

Speaking of missions, is anyone else having a bizarrely difficult time getting LT-06 (I think), the one where you need to spot two vehicles before you get spotted?

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Tournament team get online.

How did it go?

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

srb posted:

I regularly see KV-5's with tons of ricochet marks on the angled turret front and on the front hull. You'd think the radioman would be obvious, but nope.

Oh it's definitely obvious, but every decent KV-5 driver knows this, so he'll angle the hull and scoot back and forth, which, combined with the round shape of the R2D2, makes for the trolliest ricochets and misses. I'm still not very good with it overall but god drat do I love my KV-5.

Unrelated HEAT question: so AP gets normalized by 10 degrees, APCR gets normalized by 5 (ish), and HEAT doesn't get any. But AP/APCR autobounce at 70 degrees while HEAT doesn't until 85. Wouldn't the effective thickness in most cases beyond 70 degrees cause the HEAT to bounce anyway, seeing as it gets zero normalization? Unless you're preparing to shoot HEAT at paper armored tanks, which sounds financially unwise?

e:
also unrelated: man the 59-16 is so much more fun with the autoloader. you can terrorize enemy lights+arty and you shouldn't be shooting at heavies and mediums anyway apart from tracking, which doesn't need pen. I may actually miss this tank when I move on.

rockopete fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Feb 12, 2015

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Prav posted:

Those normalization values are old. I think it's 5/2/0/0 for AP/APCR/HEAT/HE these days.

But yeah at >70 degrees you start to see huge increases in effective armor so you'll probably bounce. For instance, a thin 40 mm plate at 80° has an effective thickness of 230 mm, and at 85° it's a massive 459. Still, in the 70-75° range HEAT does offer an advantage - for instance 80 mm plate (MT side) at 75° is 309 mm, +~30 unmodified for the tracks, which gives us a ~50% chance to pen with a M62-T2 shell. You should probably try for a better shot, but sometimes a coinflip is the best you'll get.

Also remember that HEAT hates you and is always looking for an excuse to bounce.

Ah right I forgot about the thin mediums, I don't have any beyond tier 6 except the T-44.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Animal posted:

They are about to get slapped with a much needed view range. At high tiers, artillery pretty much dictates the battles, even though its not fun to play as and not fun to be on the receiving end (so why is it there?)

"much needed view range nerf," just to clarify for him. If you want fun, go Russian TDs and take the SU-152 line. Don't bother getting the Tier 10, it's poo poo and in some cases outperformed by the 9, but tiers 6-9 are great and often hilarious.

MoraleHazard posted:

I'm a few hundred thousand credits away from my first Tier 7 tank, the T29.

You will love it, and it's a much better choice for a new player than the Bulldog, but make sure you at least freexp to the 90mm.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Animal posted:

Eh. I'll just keep the optics and train the loader on safe stowage. Thanks.

Try not to show people the right side of your upper front plate, either.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Does anyone know how to keep crashing to a minimum? I'm worried that it's going to mess up some of our tournament matches tonight, cause I'm crashing like every third game. Any mods or settings that are known to increase crashing?

Also this would have been a perfect reason to release the patch, WG, if the 'crash fixes' actually work.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

It's a week or so away. RU and EU already have it.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

G.W. Panther (German line) is also decent. It's semi-turreted for wide traverse, reloads in under 30 seconds, and is accurate, if you don't mind stopping at Tier 7. Also has the full selection of shells--HE, HEAT, wide splash HE.
The Tier 10 on that line may also be changed at some point to a 305mm high angle mortar, from the current 210mm gun on an E-100 chassis.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Prav posted:

I think I read that that's not actually happening and the 305 will be... well, god knows what. Maybe a mission reward tank? Or just mothballed.

That's a shame, I'm happy with the G.W. Panther but high tier artillery could use some more variation. Weaning more German lines off the E-100 chassis would also be nice.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Mesadoram posted:

So just grit your teeth and go balls deep in that grind.

So playing artillery to progress feels like grinding your own dick off? Can't disagree.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Salean posted:

It prevents camping :v:

For all the hate that arty gets, would the game truly be an unfun campfest without it? That is, would there need to be some kind of counter (not necessarily arty as we know it)?

rockopete fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Feb 19, 2015

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Hey tournament PANSIES, looks like we have a tiebreaker tonight. Don't ask me how. I'm just thankful I can get more tournament use out of the Tiger I retrained crew for last night. Shame we can't have spectators, I'll miss Hellsau's gentle encouragements to stop loving peeking and poking and oh my god there are three of you and one of him just press W and shoot tanks.

buzzsaw.gif posted:

Am I reading correctly that we have playoffs tonight?

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/422555-skirmish-7-standings/

The lengths you have to go to if you want to find this information are just silly.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Never mind, no tiebreaker for the RL Valkyries. Bravo playoffs tomorrow though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Valle posted:

The secondary requirement for mission 15 for each line is generally something that there's a very high probability will happen as you do the primary. Except the medium one perhaps, since that one's to stay alive. But I mean, do 4k damage in a TD as primary, secondary...kill a tank? That's probably gonna happen when you do 4k damage. Light tank 4k spotting, good chance some of that damage is gonna end in a tank dead, which is the secondary. For the heavy it's "win".

What do you get if you complete all mission 15s including the secondaries?