Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Pththya-lyi posted:

It is actually Tom Lea's Marines Call It That 2,000 Yard Stare. Lea was a war correspondent with Life Magazine and that painting is one of several he made as part of his Peleliu coverage. Before Peleliu Lea's military paintings were generally on the theme of gently caress YEAH AMERICA, but the Peleliu series showcases the horrors of war. That painting and The Price (:nms:) are two of Lea's best-known works; both are Peleliu paintings.

Oh jesus, The Price is intense.

I just tried to search for the pic I was thinking about. I guess I had created some amalgam of these two:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
Did anyone else write any books/stories related to the dream cycle?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

dms666 posted:

Did anyone else write any books/stories related to the dream cycle?

Brian Lumley did

http://www.brianlumley.com/books/cthulhu/dimensiondreams.html

I recall reading the one with the Queen of Zura. I don't recall any of the details except it was more a pulp story set in the dreamlands than a cosmic horror story but I could be wrong. I remember not being terribly impressed. I think Lumley was going for a more Conan/sword and sandals fantastic tone than anything else.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Yes, but August Derleth is the Devil and Brian Lumley is his prophet.

I'll accept 'The Burrowers Beneath' but everything else he's written is claptrap in my opinion.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Lumley's mythos is more or less the proper response to Lovecraft. I love H.P. but his protagonists all respond the way he would i.e. defeated before they begin. At least try fighting. Ants will attack an elephant, regardless of the elephant's notice.

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

I hope this doesn't come off as intrusive but I have a project that I think would be of interest to this thread.

https://www.bookofstarrywisdom.com

Being a lifelong Lovecraft fan, I've always wanted to see his stories given a treatment like the forbidden tomes he described.The heart of the book are those three stories, Dagon, The Call of Cthulhu, and The Shadow Over Innsmouth. Fully illustrated and bound in a hardcover, faux-leather cover edition accompanied by essays that relate to the original stories. This is a book that will spark unsettling conversation on a coffee table or amongst the moldering tomes of a forbidden library. I chose my contributing essayists carefully, to provide diverse and interesting new viewpoints on the source material stories. I think they all succeeded admirably in creating entries that gently blur the line between fact and fiction, as if Lovecraft's works were not just stories.

I've been working on this for quite a while and my Kickstarter is chugging along nicely. I had the pleasure of promoting it at the Lovecraft Film Festival in Portland, Oregon, earlier this month and received a great response. Incidentally, the Fest is a tremendously fun event and I highly recommend attending if you ever get the chance!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

It's fine by me, as a thread-lurker.

I like the leather-bound cover, and I like the illustrations, and I really like the hand-sculpted design. But to be honest I don't care for the word "wisdom" in a Lovecraftian context. I'd prefer something like starry "Secrets" or "Madness". There's no wisdom to be found if you delve too deep into forgotten lore.

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

Snapchat A Titty posted:

It's fine by me, as a thread-lurker.

I like the leather-bound cover, and I like the illustrations, and I really like the hand-sculpted design. But to be honest I don't care for the word "wisdom" in a Lovecraftian context. I'd prefer something like starry "Secrets" or "Madness". There's no wisdom to be found if you delve too deep into forgotten lore.

I actually drew the title directly from the The Haunter in the Dark. :)

http://lovecraft.wikia.com/wiki/Church_of_Starry_Wisdom

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

I think it's pretty cool and I would buy one!

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

Mad Hamish posted:

I think it's pretty cool and I would buy one!

Thank you! Goons who back should send me a message. I'll throw in a little something goony with your copy...

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

KuangMkV posted:

I actually drew the title directly from the The Haunter in the Dark. :)

http://lovecraft.wikia.com/wiki/Church_of_Starry_Wisdom

Huh I completely blanked on that, but in that case it makes total sense. Good luck with the thing, I am skint so, but I wish you the best.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Rough Lobster posted:

So I read Crooked, by Austin Grossman. I think I saw it recommended here. It's the book ostensibly about Nixon fighting eldritch horrors. The first half was pretty good, but I kept hoping for more stuff to be explained and it just never panned out. Story fell pretty flat after that first half. I might have liked it more if I was more familiar with Nixon himself, maybe, since I only know the basics. The only part I really enjoyed was Nixon himself as the self loathing underdog main character.

Overall I couldn't really recommend it. I've seen similarities drawn between it and Stross's A Colder War for obvious reasons, but (spoilers for both) A Colder War drops neat little hints and references to the Lovecraft mythos and actually follows up on them with eldritch apocalypse awesomeness. Crooked blueballs you, nothing is ever explained satisfactorily, nothing exciting ever really happens and overall it feels like there's no point.

I thought before buying it that the premise was greatand after finishing it I still think it's an interesting idea, it just needed a better author, one who actually does something with their ideas. Agree about the first half build up ultimately going nowhere, and the 'twist' with his wife wasn't all that interesting really. All the interesting stuff was the reworking of history but there wasn't anything more than that.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

If I can ask, why did you go with Starry Wisdom? If its specific to the Cthulhu stories I almost think the Rl'yeh Texts would make more sense?

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

Mad Hamish posted:

If I can ask, why did you go with Starry Wisdom? If its specific to the Cthulhu stories I almost think the Rl'yeh Texts would make more sense?

It felt evocative of "The Stars Coming Right" and the prevalence of Cthulhu's name across Mythos cults and texts as referenced by Lovecraft. If I do a Nyarlathotep themed collection in the future I will probably kick myself for this, though. ;)

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Lovecraft is out as the face of the World Fantasy Award.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Peztopiary posted:

Lumley's mythos is more or less the proper response to Lovecraft. I love H.P. but his protagonists all respond the way he would i.e. defeated before they begin. At least try fighting. Ants will attack an elephant, regardless of the elephant's notice.

Actually, the proper response to Lovecraft's mythos is embracing the strange. If you meet a starspawn on the street, shake its hand, etc. Going all existentialist is basically accepting Lovecraft's vision on its own terms.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Does anyone have any recommendations regarding the books of letters? Any that stand out?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

i support this soley because s t joshi is a psychotic parody of a scholar and anything that upsets him is good in my book

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

End Of Worlds posted:

i support this soley because s t joshi is a psychotic parody of a scholar and anything that upsets him is good in my book

true but its still kinda sad in my book, the dude invented cosmic/eldritch horror which has been biggish staple since then. yeah the dude was racist rear end in a top hat but it feels weird trying to throw him under the bus because his lovely turn of the century opinions dont work with out current ones. It feels like trying to smuge over bad spots in history so its more palatable for people now a days.

End Of Worlds posted:

agree but spite support rarely gets positive results.

also i am gonna be controversial and say Herbert west is the favorite of his stories even he hated it and most other do too. its an interesting look into the mind of brilliant mind who got corrupted by his own goals and it turning it into and obsession.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I just hope Gahan Wilson gets to design the new one

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Dapper_Swindler posted:

agree but spite support rarely gets positive results.

i'm not really sure what 'positive results' i could be looking for in this context, save for joshi announcing that he's decided to cease publishing. the award is changing; if you're one of the 2,500 people who signed that petition, this is already a positive result

i also, as someone who has not won nor will ever win a world fantasy award, profoundly don't care what it looks like.

e: also, i strongly disagree with the idea that lovecraft's deranged, obsessive racism and anti-semitism are broadly emblematic of the 'turn of the century'. hemingway and fitzgerald were writing at the same time and, while both certainly have their own issues w/r/t 'diversity', both managed to get through their careers without writing any poems titled 'on the creation of niggers'

and while, again, i'm apathetic about the design of the award, i fully understand that at a time when organisations are eagers to foster diversity, having a virulent racist adorn the highest honour a group can confer might be seen as questionable

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 11, 2016

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I just hope Gahan Wilson gets to design the new one

that would be awesome if it were the case.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I don't really know what to say to anyone that doesn't support changing the look of the award. There's no good argument in favor of handing authors of color an award that is modeled after a person that would view them as subhuman.

It was also weird to model the World Fantasy Award after a man that is almost entirely associated with a different genre. If the powers that be HAD to model it after a deceased pulp-era author, Clark Ashton Smith or Robert E. Howard were much more logical choices (though Howard also has some racist baggage).

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ornamented Death posted:

I don't really know what to say to anyone that doesn't support changing the look of the award. There's no good argument in favor of handing authors of color an award that is modeled after a person that would view them as subhuman.

agreed.

lovecraft as the face of the world fantasy award has always seemed weird to me, horrific racism even aside. go with dunsany, at least.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

the award statuette should be H.P. Barnacle imo

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

End Of Worlds posted:

i support this soley because s t joshi is a psychotic parody of a scholar

How so? I thought that although he downplayed the racism, he was pretty good with technical/archival/textual stuff.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Snapchat A Titty posted:

the award statuette should be H.P. Barnacle imo

Why the long face? :)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Does https://www.amazon.com/C-Cthulhu-Lovecraft-Alphabet-Book/dp/0983068984 count as lovecraft because my dad got it for my 1.5 year old and he loves it.

It's actually got pretty great art, and is kinda funny to boot.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Your dad seems awesome.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Ornamented Death posted:

Your dad seems awesome.

My dad as it happens is awesome, yeah. And seriously the book is really great, "A is for Abdul Alhazred I wrote this little book..., B is for the Black Goat with a thousand young Baaaaaaaaah" and so on.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I think I'm going to order this for my nephew.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Ornamented Death posted:

I think I'm going to order this for my nephew.

:same: Christmas is coming up and I needed gift ideas.

Edit: vvvvv Best Christmas gift to yourself vvvvv

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 21, 2016

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
My sister in law would never speak to me again if I bought this for my niece, so it's definitely going under the Christmas tree.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
There was an earlier one of these, which I own. I wonder if this is a reprint, or if I can start a blasphemously batrachian library for toddlers.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Xotl posted:

There was an earlier one of these, which I own. I wonder if this is a reprint, or if I can start a blasphemously batrachian library for toddlers.

Dunno, do you remember any of the pages? I posted a few, I could go dig it out of wherever my toddler stashed it and write a few more if you want.

(K is for K'N-Yan. "Is it hot down here, or am I crazy?")

silvergoose fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 21, 2016

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

silvergoose posted:

Dunno, do you remember any of the pages? I posted a few, I could go dig it out of wherever my toddler stashed it and write a few more if you want.

(K is for K'N-Yan. "Is it hot down here, or am I crazy?")

Now that I'm home I can check. It's this one:
http://www.miniaturemarket.com/zmg9005.html

So yeah, there's (at least) two of these things. Apparently the author redid it in 2013 via kickstarter.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Remind me, are the stories published in the 20s and 30s considered public domain yet?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've got 4 days to put together a Tabletop RPG in this setting, I have never read a lovecraft book, (scared off for reasons not related to horror.) I want to get well versed enough to capture the feel of it for 4 or 5 hours. Does anyone have a great place to start? Audiobooks / Radio Plays are preferred to almost anything else. Even more so, are compendiums that quickly help me get to that point.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

I've got 4 days to put together a Tabletop RPG in this setting, I have never read a lovecraft book, (scared off for reasons not related to horror.) I want to get well versed enough to capture the feel of it for 4 or 5 hours. Does anyone have a great place to start? Audiobooks / Radio Plays are preferred to almost anything else. Even more so, are compendiums that quickly help me get to that point.

Hello.

These posts there and that entire thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3793015#post465224823

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3793015#post465326219

RPPR actual play search Call of Cthulhu and Delta Green

http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/category/systems/call-of-cthulhu/

Play Better Podcast

http://playbetter.libsyn.com/lets-play-better-episode-111-delta-green-part-1

Don't want to read Lovecraft? Read Barron or Ligotti or that other gent whose name escapes me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Turtlicious posted:

Call of Cthulhu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM9Z39D1yyI

Colour out of Space:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXyda5iiGEo

Rats in the Walls:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBiMYhA9cMY

First 2 are under 90min and the 3rd is 46min. All strong stories and typical. Not too much racism.

• Locked thread