Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
Any of y'all who like Lovecraft should read Algernon Blackwood's The Willows, if you haven't already. Lovecraft called it the finest weird horror story ever written, and its influence on him is obvious. It's awesome.

Blackwood and Lovecraft are fun to contrast. Blackwood was an outdoorsman, a firm optimistic, and an honest-to-god member of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn; Lovecraft was a neurotic atheist shut-in. THat optimism bleeds heavily into his fiction - he flirts with Lovecraft's cosmic nihilism, but generally swerves shy of it.

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jan 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
My biggest regret about Lovecraft is that he didn't live long enough to become a highly esteemed moderator on Reddit and active in the Gamergate movement

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've adapted an H. P. Lovecraft drinking game I found online to be a little bit more comprehensive. I suggest playing it with something with a low ABV.

Take a sip of your drink whenever –
Ruins are stumbled across that are ‘cyclopean’, ‘non-euclidean’, or just plain wrong
The moon, sky or anything else is ‘gibbous’
The Necronimicon is mentioned, or another ancient, old dusty tome is consulted or referenced
Someone says ‘Iä’!
Something is either eldritch, ancient, unthinkable, hideous, blasphemous, loathsome, unimaginable, daemoniac or nameless
A phrase is written in italics – down your drink if it’s the payoff twist for the whole story! (you’ll need the alcohol, trust us)
Arkham or Miskatonic is mentioned or visited (you may have to abandon this rule if you're reading a story set in Arkham)
A protagonist has a dream or believes they are having a dream; two sips if the dream is prophetic
A cat appears
Someone or something is ‘evil-looking’ or 'evil-smelling'
A place is ‘accursed’, 'antiquarian,' 'antediluvian,' or has ‘thin’ reality
Old Ones of any kind appear in the text
Anything ululates
Any of these objects appear anywhere in the story – Bas Reliefs, Pentragrams, Obelisks, Tentacles, Pictographs
A cultist appears (bonus sips if said cultist is ‘insane, ‘degenerate’ or both)
An archaic or UK spelling of a word is employed for no particular reason (e.g. daemon, shew, colour)
Weird piping noises make an appearance
A word appears in the text that no two people would pronounce the same (I’m looking at you, R’yleh!)

Down your drink whenever –
A protagonist goes is driven insane/ devoured by a Thing Man Was Not Meant To Know
A protagonist faints
The text becomes uncomfortably rascist
A word crops up that you have never heard of before and need to find a dictionary

Adapted from here

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

i support this soley because s t joshi is a psychotic parody of a scholar and anything that upsets him is good in my book

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Dapper_Swindler posted:

agree but spite support rarely gets positive results.

i'm not really sure what 'positive results' i could be looking for in this context, save for joshi announcing that he's decided to cease publishing. the award is changing; if you're one of the 2,500 people who signed that petition, this is already a positive result

i also, as someone who has not won nor will ever win a world fantasy award, profoundly don't care what it looks like.

e: also, i strongly disagree with the idea that lovecraft's deranged, obsessive racism and anti-semitism are broadly emblematic of the 'turn of the century'. hemingway and fitzgerald were writing at the same time and, while both certainly have their own issues w/r/t 'diversity', both managed to get through their careers without writing any poems titled 'on the creation of niggers'

and while, again, i'm apathetic about the design of the award, i fully understand that at a time when organisations are eagers to foster diversity, having a virulent racist adorn the highest honour a group can confer might be seen as questionable

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 11, 2016

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ornamented Death posted:

I don't really know what to say to anyone that doesn't support changing the look of the award. There's no good argument in favor of handing authors of color an award that is modeled after a person that would view them as subhuman.

agreed.

lovecraft as the face of the world fantasy award has always seemed weird to me, horrific racism even aside. go with dunsany, at least.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ornamented Death posted:

I think I'm going to order this for my nephew.

i am also ordering this for my nephew

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
i read a lof of lovecraft's letters in the course of undergrad research.

there's a very short list of human beings whose letters are interesting enough to merit non-scholarly perusal. h. p. lovecraft is not on that list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
Sure but there's a huge contingent of nerds who will buy anything with Cthulhu in the title

• Locked thread