Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Chain_of_Dogs posted:

I've been going back the last few months and reading the things before Lovecraft, like A. Machen and R. Chambers. Anyone else read "The Hill of Dreams" or "The King in Yellow"?

"The Hill of Dreams" is pure poetry. Read "A Fragment of Life", if you can find it and "The Three Impostors" or "The Great God Pan" if you want to get back to proper horror.

On the subject of "The Three Impostors", I've always suspected that the Novel of the White Powder was Stephen King's inspiration for the short story "Gray Matter", in Graveyard Shift. Anybody else think that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
While we're on Arthur Machen, have an extract from John Betjemann's 'Summoned by Bells':

"With Arthur Machen’s “Secret Glory” stuffed
Into my blazer pocket, up the hill
On to St. Merryn, down to Padstow Quay
In time for the last ferry back to Rock,
I bicycled — and found Trebetherick
A worldly contrast with my afternoon.

I would not care to read that book again.
It so exactly mingled with the mood
Of those impressionable years, that now
I might be disillusioned. There were laughs
At public schools, at chapel services,
At masters who were still ‘big boys at heart’—
While all the time the author’s hero knew
A Secret Glory in the hills of Wales:
Caverns of light revealed the Holy Grail
Exhaling gold upon the mountain-tops;
At “Holy! Holy! Holy!” in the Mass
King Brychan’s sainted children crowded round,
And past and present were enwrapped in one."

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Or go for pitch black comedy and have an Eichmann-esque character who encounters the Great Old Ones and is completely unphased because he doesn't have the imagination or the moral capacity to understand why they're horrifying.

"Hmm, yes, these eldritch entities seem like characters I can do business with: I shall ally them to my Cause!"

*Throughout the story, gradually transmogrifies into a hideous meat puppet of forces lurking a shadow's width away, an ever-diminishing spark of his consciousness shrieking in horror as he experiences an excruciating and indescribable fate far, far worse than death*

• Locked thread