Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've heard there's some great lovecraft audio books with good voice acting, can anyone point me towards them? It seems like a lot of his stories would be fantastic to listen to more like a radio drama maybe even with music/sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

spandexcajun posted:

A part of Pluto is now going to be called "Cthulhu"

Of course true fans know it should have been Yuggoth http://fusion.net/story/168000/a-section-of-pluto-is-now-named-cthulhu-heres-why-it-should-have-been-yuggoth/

I read the story thanks to this article. I had some issues this the story, more so than the others I've read. The characters seems dumber than usual, not piecing together very obvious puzzles. The narrator overhears specifically that the plutonians want to learn as much as they can from humans so that they can wear a wax mask and a hood and fool and mock humans. Dude's friend's writing style abuptly changes and asks for all evidence to be delivered to him and the idiot comes?? Then he notices his friend sounds like buzzing, looks waxy, is wearing a hood, and isn't moving his mouth when he speaks and sounds mocking and boastful? Then at the very end of the book the shocker is that his friend was a wax disguise??

I'm fine with crazed intellectuals not exactly being street smart, or driven to do stupid things out of their thirst for knowledge, but I had a hard time with this one. Hell I had a hard time with this guy refusing to move out of his house even though he was getting into shootouts with aliens every single night. "It's mah ancestral home!!!". Lovecraft characters can be extremely dumb at times but I can believe it given the context of the story, but the two central characters in this one felt contrived. They were just extremely suicidally stupid and couldn't piece a very basic puzzle together when the plot demanded it but were otherwise brilliant and thirsted to solve mysteries.

Still enjoyed it though.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I guess in this sense I thought the character was shown as educated and logical and even said if things got bad he'd got live with his son in California. He wasn't some old "rustic" as Lovecraft would say. Things got really bad and he kept having chances to leave but he never did. I don't know anyone who actually owns a home, let alone some ancient family home, we all rent and move around as needed so I guess I can't totally relate to the mindset.

But mostly that the narrator was too stupid to figure out he was talking to a wax mask after being told it was a thing they specifically planned on doing, that what drove me nuts. How obvious the whole thing was a set up. How obvious the driver was the voice on the recording, a voice he had listened to over and over again for months.

Also, any ya'll play The Last Door? It's a sort of lovecraftian point and click adventure game, pretty good times.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Khizan posted:

They always say this, but "bad" is a moving goalpost; however bad the situation is, it always has to be just a little bit worse for them to be okay with leaving.

I'm going to say the plutonians weird form of communication actually drives people slightly mad or makes them open to suggestion which is why the two primary characters seemed to become so idiotic the state really should have assigned them full time caretakers or at least a nurse that visited a couple times a week to help them with their lives.

Also, man, Lovecraft's bio. He was such a god drat goon. He always said he seemed born in the wrong time, he was half right. He would have fit right in on the internet today. He'd have been a regular e/n poster.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Me and my wife love DS9 so we're going to watch every single Jeffery Combs lovecraft movie. There's like 5 or 6 of them. Wish us luck.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've been reading "dreams of terror and death" and it's just a bunch of little 2-10 page stories. It's like watching a lovecraft skit show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That night something of youth and beauty died in the elder world :(

• Locked thread