Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

End Of Worlds posted:

Any of y'all who like Lovecraft should read Algernon Blackwood's The Willows, if you haven't already. Lovecraft called it the finest weird horror story ever written, and its influence on him is obvious. It's awesome.

Blackwood and Lovecraft are fun to contrast. Blackwood was an outdoorsman, a firm optimistic, and an honest-to-god member of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn; Lovecraft was a neurotic atheist shut-in. THat optimism bleeds heavily into his fiction - he flirts with Lovecraft's cosmic nihilism, but generally swerves shy of it.

Kindled this for .99c. On my every growing list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Crashbee posted:

Too late for you, but if anyone else wants The Willows it's out of copyright so free to download from Project Gutenberg.
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/11438

Yeah, I saw that as well, but I am retarded insofar as getting gutenberg stuff onto my device.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Fog Tripper posted:

Kindled this for .99c. On my every growing list.

Read it in 2 sittings. Was pretty underwhelmed by it. If it was at all disturbing or frightening, it was completely eclipsed by how annoying the main character/narrator is.

• Locked thread