Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
The Library of Congress has a bunch of first edition illustrated (these old woodcut style prints, Deep Ones look really neat.) Lovecraft. Most of them are in the rare books room, but if you have a reader card you can go in and well read them. You can't take pictures and there are some other restrictions, but it's worth doing if you're in DC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Chain_of_Dogs posted:

I've been going back the last few months and reading the things before Lovecraft, like A. Machen and R. Chambers. Anyone else read "The Hill of Dreams" or "The King in Yellow"?

The Repairer of Reputations is my favorite story in the King in Yellow book. Something about it works better for me than the more fantastic shorts.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Lumley's mythos is more or less the proper response to Lovecraft. I love H.P. but his protagonists all respond the way he would i.e. defeated before they begin. At least try fighting. Ants will attack an elephant, regardless of the elephant's notice.

• Locked thread