Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

The Rat posted:

Has anyone else here read Michel Houellebecq's "Lovecraft: Against the World, Against Life"?

Just re-read it last night and it still holds up as the best analysis of Lovecraft I've come across.

It's fantastic. It's one of my comfort reads, I'll pick it up at least once a year. Nothing else of Houellebecq's I've read comes close, with the exception of "Extension du Domaine de la Lutte". Dude shot his literary wad early.

"Si le style de Lovecraft est deplorable, on peut gaiement conclure que le style n'a, en litterature, pas le moindre importance--et passer à autre chose."

Nanomashoes posted:

Lovecraft is actually a really terrible writer, and a massive racist to boot, and should just be forgotten forever like every other weird tales writer.

"Il ramène brutalement la racisme à sa source essentielle, sa source la plus profonde--la peur."

Clipperton fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jan 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

House Louse posted:

I read something suggesting that he had basically reached the limits of his ideas and couldn't work out how to go around them. So he didn't have any good ideas, basically.

Ever wondered what HPL's favourite words were, btw? Wonder no more: http://arkhamarchivist.com/wordcount-lovecraft-favorite-words/

And from most used to least if anyone's interested:
Hideous 260
Faint (ed/ing) 189
Nameless 157
Antiqu (e/arian) 128
Madness 115
Singular (ly) 115
Abnormal 94
Blasphem (y/ous) 92
Accursed 76
Loath (ing/some) 71
Furtive 60
Spectral 60
Stench 59
Daemoniac 55
Fungus/Fungoid/Fungous 54
Shunned 54
Proportion/Disproportionate 53
Cyclopean 47
Cat 46
Manuscript 35
Noisome 33
Decadent 32
Tentacle(s) 28
Mortal 27
Immemorial 25
Indescribable 25
Eldritch 23
Foetid 22
Unnamable 22
Gambrel 21
Charnel 20
Amorphous 19
Dank 19
Unmentionable 16
Lurk 15
Swarthy 14
Unutterable 13
Antediluvian 10
Gibber (ed/ing) 10
Comprehension 9
Gibbous 9
Tenebrous 9
Stygian 6
Effulgence 4
Ululat (e/ing) 4
Iridescence 2
Non-Euclidean 2
Squamous 1

e: "swarthy" lol

Clipperton fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 11, 2015

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Dienes posted:

They made their goal and you can pre-order the book now. All female authors, all the stories with prominent female characters. Should be awesome!

Hang on, is that the same book? None of the authors in the kickstarter are in it.

Also, I knew Joyce Carol Oates was a fan but did she really write a Lovecraftian horror story? I'd be all over that.

• Locked thread