Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Does anyone who has read the biographies recently remember why HPL wrote so little in his last few years? I know he was sick for about the last 6 months but the last short story was in 1935. Does anyone know what reasons were suggested for his dry spell for almost 2 years at the end?

The only explanation I could give here would be his seemingly unending pride and his refusal to do low-level work. In his last years he was poor and he always refused to sell his texts to publishing houses or magazines he considered as cheap and unworthy. Additonally he wasn't ever really satisfied with himself and always wanted to do good work he could be proud of. His tendency to critize his own words harder than anyone else ever did surely had something to do with this.
I wouldn't be too surprised if he considered his poor life situation in the end to be not a good background for writing "worthy" stories either, but that's just an assumption.

Goons Are Gifts fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Aug 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread