Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

I've heard there's some great lovecraft audio books with good voice acting, can anyone point me towards them? It seems like a lot of his stories would be fantastic to listen to more like a radio drama maybe even with music/sounds.

The Lovecraft Historical Society has done a number of old-time radio-style adaptations of stories, and they've also done two movies. They did the silent Call of Cthulhu movie, which was pretty good, and a movie of The Whisperer in Darkness, which I really disliked. The audio plays usually stay close to the original stories, though they make some changes. Usually they create a character that the narrator is talking to, basically so he won't be talking directly to the audience. Sometimes these framing sequences intrude on the story too much, and in their version of "The Colour Out of Space" they add a framing sequence even though the original story already had a framing sequence, so there are two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

But mostly that the narrator was too stupid to figure out he was talking to a wax mask after being told it was a thing they specifically planned on doing, that what drove me nuts. How obvious the whole thing was a set up. How obvious the driver was the voice on the recording, a voice he had listened to over and over again for months.

It isn't a wax mask, it's the guy's real face. And maybe the concept of aliens is still so incredible to the narrator that he doesn't even think it's not the real guy. But yeah, he was pretty stupid. I liked that the narrator is freaked out simply by knowing aliens exist.

Anyone else see the HPLHS movie version? I was really disappointed. It removes most of the creepiness and adds action sequences. The interminable postal correspondence could have been shortened, but it did build up dread. However, it seems like the movie is trying to get through that part as quickly as possible to get the narrator up to the house.

• Locked thread