Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

My favorite moment was in 'The Whisperer in Darkness' when the old man says 'we' instead of 'they' once when describing the Mi-Go. The first time I read that was on a dark night alone in the barracks. I re-read that sentence two or three times and was like ohfu-:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Has anyone else here read Michel Houellebecq's "Lovecraft: Against the World, Against Life"?

Just re-read it last night and it still holds up as the best analysis of Lovecraft I've come across.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Nice one. I'll add that to the OP. Isn't that one with crits by Stephen King and Houellebecq and stories by HPL all in one volume?

I can't remember it in detail but I thought it was an intelligent approach. There is a critical analysis of H. coming out and I wonder if it will mention HPL's influence on H. H. is a fantastically nihilistic (though also moral) writer and I can see HPL's misanthropic tendency would appeal to him. Initially you would say H. and HPL are at opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to sex but I think they are both as suspicious about women.

You should have a look at Harman's book, if you haven't already.

It's got an intro by King, then Houellebecq's stuff, then a couple Lovecraft stories. I think "Call of Cthulhu" and "The Whisperer in Darkness."

• Locked thread