Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Pththya-lyi posted:

I agree about Crooked. The climax of the book is Nixon's allies having an epic showdown against eldritch horrors during the Watergate "break-in." Nixon is hiding downstairs during the battle and gives us a short second-hand account. Hardly a satisfying pay-off!

The book does name-drop the Battle of Peleliu, which I only recently learned about and think could make a good horror story in its own right. It was one of the most horrific battles of World War Two: the U.S. forces firebombed the tropical jungle that covered the island, but the defenders just hid in their vast network of underground tunnels and were left virtually untouched. What was supposed to be a 4-day assault turned into a two-month slog as the Americans staggered through the 115 degree heat with no cover or shade while the fighting-fresh Japanese popped out of their caves to wreak havoc on them. For every Japanese soldier killed, over 1500 rounds of ammunition were fired. Attrition took its toll, however, and the Japanese surrendered after 10,700 of the island's 10,900 defenders were killed. In one transmission to central command the Japanese soldiers promised to fight on even after they had been turned into nightgaunts. :cthulhu:

Artist's depiction of a Lovecraftian protagonist U.S. Marine at Peleliu

Wow I had not seen such a hi-res version of that image. That's Kurtzman's The Thousand Yard Stare right (or something similar)? From before post traumatic stress had a name other than "shell shock". It's crazy that most of Harvey Kurtzmans career was funny comic strips for Mad Magazine & others. He could be intense as hell when he wanted to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Pththya-lyi posted:

It is actually Tom Lea's Marines Call It That 2,000 Yard Stare. Lea was a war correspondent with Life Magazine and that painting is one of several he made as part of his Peleliu coverage. Before Peleliu Lea's military paintings were generally on the theme of gently caress YEAH AMERICA, but the Peleliu series showcases the horrors of war. That painting and The Price (:nms:) are two of Lea's best-known works; both are Peleliu paintings.

Oh jesus, The Price is intense.

I just tried to search for the pic I was thinking about. I guess I had created some amalgam of these two:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

It's fine by me, as a thread-lurker.

I like the leather-bound cover, and I like the illustrations, and I really like the hand-sculpted design. But to be honest I don't care for the word "wisdom" in a Lovecraftian context. I'd prefer something like starry "Secrets" or "Madness". There's no wisdom to be found if you delve too deep into forgotten lore.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

KuangMkV posted:

I actually drew the title directly from the The Haunter in the Dark. :)

http://lovecraft.wikia.com/wiki/Church_of_Starry_Wisdom

Huh I completely blanked on that, but in that case it makes total sense. Good luck with the thing, I am skint so, but I wish you the best.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

the award statuette should be H.P. Barnacle imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,