Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Germane to the HPL and Racism topic, I'm working out some ideas for a cosmic horror-themed group of fantasy stories, and I've tripped over a few land mines like the Tcho-tcho and the miscegenation issues with the Deep Ones already. Most of the time, you can keep the cool aspects and jettison the problematic baggage (or at least replace it with your OWN problematic baggage), but what else should I look out for?

For the record, I'm not directly referencing the Mythos, or even trying to sand off the serial numbers. I'm trying to take the stuff that scares me about cosmic horror and look at through a different contextual lens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

I've got 4 days to put together a Tabletop RPG in this setting, I have never read a lovecraft book, (scared off for reasons not related to horror.) I want to get well versed enough to capture the feel of it for 4 or 5 hours. Does anyone have a great place to start? Audiobooks / Radio Plays are preferred to almost anything else. Even more so, are compendiums that quickly help me get to that point.

Yeah, get on some Dennis Detweiller and his Delta Green books and games. Honestly, racism isn't as central to Lovecraft as paranoia, and Detweiler does a good job of recreating that.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

He doesn't create them. They're just very obscure and archaic. 'Squamous', for example, means 'scaly', and 'rugose' means 'wrinkly'.

So squamous AND rugose is like a ball-sack with a skin condition, for next time you're reading through.

• Locked thread