Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

Greetings, everyone, and welcome to Let's Play Borderlands 2: GOTY Edition

:siren::siren::siren:
Who are you? What the heck is a "Grizzled Beagle"?
I'm long time lurker, Dooky Dingo, and, at the urgings of some folk, I have joined forces with a few of my friends, Kreslev and Jotsam, to bring you, good goons, FREE ENTERTAINMENT!
As for the "Grizzled Beagle" thing? Well, it's just easier to have a conglomerate name for us instead of our individual names. Just here to bring some content to you fine folk.

Okay, I'll bite. What is this?
I'm glad you asked! Borderlands 2 is a very popular FPS in the "Shoot and Loot" category, meaning that your character is constantly on the quest to find shinier toys that make bigger numbers pop out of enemy heads. It's also a lot of fun.
That's where we come in. Every week, we will release a new video starring our plucky protagonists as they clear the world of life and loot, and, hopefully, provide some funny commentary while it happens.
We aren't professionals and we aren't taking this too seriously. You shouldn't either. If you are looking for an informative LP, this ain't it. However, we do hope that you enjoy your stay.

Sounds good, when do new videos come out?
Wednesdays and Fridays probably

Okay... Well, how long is this going to last?
Until the very end, INCLUDING DLC. :getin:

I don't really think you guys are funny/good at video games.
Valid opinion. Counter-opinion: :fuckoff:

Will there be any kind of audience participation?
Absolutely! You guys shoot us some suggestions for my siren build and I'll do that. Also, please let us know if there are certain special things/areas/45 minute slot machine videos you'd like to see.

Spoilers?
It's an old(ish) game and there have already been a bunch of LP's.
Honestly? I don't particularly care that much. Go hog wild. :c00lbutt:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you like what you see here, and you want to get a face full of some MORE Grizzled Beagle stuff, come check out our Dark Souls thread going on RIGHT NOW!
:ducksiren:CLICK HERE, JERKS.:ducksiren:

:siren::siren::siren:
Alright, goons. With that out of the way...
Come suffer with us... :unsmigghh:
:pcgaming:LATEST VIDEO HERE:pcgaming:

Episode 30: Conflict avoidance techniques

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chapter List
Chapter 1: This was a terrible decision...
Chapter 2: Liar's Berg(er)
Chapter 3: Captain Flynt's Flying Circus
Chapter 4: Sanctuary
Chapter 5: The Happy Pig Motel
Chapter 6: The Firehawk
Chapter 7: FrostBURN Canyon
Chapter 8: Matchstick
Chapter 9: The Dust
Chapter 10: Bloodshot Stronghold
Chapter 11: Varkids and Mutants and Robots, Oh My!
Chapter 12: Wilhelm scream
Chapter ??: Corrupted File
Chapter 13: Scarlett's pirate :butt: (part 2)
Episode 14: A fistful of booty
Chapter 15: The curious case of the unending DLC
Episode 16: Pirate and Pervert-palooza!
Chapter 17: some boat stuff
Episode 18: So long and thanks for all the booty!
Episode 19: In search of Sanctuary
Episode 20: The Great Train Heist
Episode 21: Clan War
Episode 22: Caustic Cake
Episode 23: Smoke threshers, get Highland
Episode 24: Exploitive Deleted
Episode 25: The back of the Fridge
Episode 26: It's really more like a couple hundred cuts at MOST...
Episode 27: Prepare to get... TORGUED
Episode 28: Much ado about racing
Episode 29: Schrodinger's Rapist
Episode 30: Conflict avoidance techniques

Intermission 1: Isolated incident :frogsiren:LOUD:frogsiren:
Intermission 2: GET MONEY! GET MONEY!
Intermission 3: Not so isolated.
Intermission 4: Orion: Prelude: The Game: The video
Intermission 5: Only half a life
Intermission 6: The 69 boat
Intermission 7: A Dingo Holiday

Dooky Dingo fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jul 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Reserved for stuff and/or things.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

This is the best kind of Borderlands LP. Looking forward to seeing you guys get mad over loot.

e: None of you chose Krieg, you guys suck.

ee: By "the end" you mean UVHM OP8 right? :mrgw:

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 24, 2014

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
If you asked me what my favourite game series was, I'd say Borderlands, I've put so many hours into Borderlands 1 and 2, they may not be the best in graphics, the randomness of the loot drops can be rage inducing at times but it keeps on giving, it never gives up, and always tries to please you, with dubstep.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Genocyber posted:

e: None of you chose Krieg, you guys suck.
You're assuming that it will only be the three of us for this ride... :smugbert:

poochiepoo
Oct 14, 2013
Is the video really choppy/laggy at some points or is it just me? Like at the point when you entered the village for the first time.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

poochiepoo posted:

Is the video really choppy/laggy at some points or is it just me? Like at the point when you entered the village for the first time.
It's probably stuttering in the recording process because BL2 has a tendency to load quite a bit all at once, including pretty detailed textures on the settings that Jotsam uses. Normally, to reduce that, you would set the recording software to have processor priority, like what I tried to do in the videos that I record, but it's hard on the processor and the results can vary quite a bit.
Sorry for any loss of quality, all of us run pretty out-dated machines.
You don't even want to know what my game looks like. :suicide:

poochiepoo
Oct 14, 2013

Dooky Dingo posted:

You don't even want to know what my game looks like. :suicide:

Now I kind of want to. See what you are suffering through and feel superior to you :smuggo:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Borderlands 2, Dooky Dingo's PC edition:

(the worst screenshot I could find from the PS Vita version)

I never got that big into BL2 and kinda dislike most of the writing and especially the humor, which is a bit awkward when almost all of my friends are massive fanboys and -girls of this game. I don't think it's a bad game though, it's pretty fun to jump in, turn your brain off for a few hours, and shoot mans with big guns to get bigger guns to shoot more mans with (especially now that I bought almost all the DLC in the Steam sale). I should probably give co-op a shot, but since I'm on PC I don't have any of my friends to play with. :saddowns: Especially since there's no splitscreen in the PC version.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Doc Morbid posted:

Borderlands 2, Dooky Dingo's PC edition:

I really wish that wasn't as accurate as it is. :(

Doc Morbid posted:

I should probably give co-op a shot, but since I'm on PC I don't have any of my friends to play with. :saddowns: Especially since there's no splitscreen in the PC version.

Hey, feel free to join the Steam group! Since a bunch of the goons on there just bought BL2 GOTY edition, there's a bunch of people playing these days.
Also, we might be having some special guests join us for some of the videos, since this is going to be such a long LP. :ssh:

Drachir D Nalem
Aug 14, 2012
I hope this one goes better than the last BL2 LP. As in it actually gets finished.

Also, Axton is the best class, get more turrets up in this.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

:siren::ducksiren:NEW VIDEO DAY!:ducksiren::siren:
Episode 2: Liar's Berg(er)

As promised, here is episode 2. Enjoy, goons!

fake edit: It's important to mention that we have determined what the issue is for the video lag. The bad news is that we have recorded next weeks videos already, as most of us will be away from computer in the coming week.
In short, video lag will be a thing until after video 4, then it will clear up. Thanks for your continued patience. :cheers:

Dooky Dingo fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 26, 2014

poochiepoo
Oct 14, 2013

Doc Morbid posted:

Especially since there's no splitscreen in the PC version.

I think i rember reading something about an offline coop / splitscreen mod for pc. i might imagining things though

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Oh yeah, it does look like someone made a mod that doesn't require a ton of extra bullshit to work like the other method I found earlier. It still seems to be a bit awkward compared to true local co-op, but I think I'll give it a shot anyway.

Kobanya
Aug 6, 2013
My college schedule has pretty much always left me with horrendous three/four hour blocks until my next class, so I actually do spend most of my time in the library, watching LPs.

I'm enjoying the LP, but I really do hope we get to ditch Claptrap soon. His voice is more annoying than I remember from the first game.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Kobanya posted:

My college schedule has pretty much always left me with horrendous three/four hour blocks until my next class, so I actually do spend most of my time in the library, watching LPs.

I'm enjoying the LP, but I really do hope we get to ditch Claptrap soon. His voice is more annoying than I remember from the first game.

While you don't hear his voice constantly like in Borderlands 1, he's a main character now, so he's always there, until the end of the game!

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Judge Tesla posted:

While you don't hear his voice constantly like in Borderlands 1, he's a main character now, so he's always there, until the end of the game!

I wouldn't say 'main' character, more like supporting character. They saved 'main' character for the Pre-Sequel!

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space
I've played Borderlands 2 through a few times. IDK if the other BL2 threads did anything like this, and while while I'm sure you're not really concerned with this *right* now, but it might be a good idea to 'cheat' at whatever ends up being appropriate levels with a save editor, because if you're even remotely thorough with the side quests, Arenas, and DLC, you can easily soar past the levels that certain content caps out at. It'd also probably let you switch to new character classes mid play through so you can try and show them all off, and you can tinker with things such that you can shift your quest progress from one play through to another, which should let you keep everything at an appropriate level without having to beat the whole game again. If there's one thing that has been a constant bugbear for me and my friends playing this series of games, it's been the level cap system.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Mastigophoran posted:

I've played Borderlands 2 through a few times. IDK if the other BL2 threads did anything like this, and while while I'm sure you're not really concerned with this *right* now, but it might be a good idea to 'cheat' at whatever ends up being appropriate levels with a save editor, because if you're even remotely thorough with the side quests, Arenas, and DLC, you can easily soar past the levels that certain content caps out at. It'd also probably let you switch to new character classes mid play through so you can try and show them all off, and you can tinker with things such that you can shift your quest progress from one play through to another, which should let you keep everything at an appropriate level without having to beat the whole game again. If there's one thing that has been a constant bugbear for me and my friends playing this series of games, it's been the level cap system.

This. Not to mention the default drop rates for legendary weapons are stupid-small. No, no, it's worse than you think.
Cheat Engine cites the default drop rate for health/ammo pick-ups as 200.
Whites are 100
Greens are 10
Blues are 1
Legendary Orange is 0.00999999978 (otherwise known as "gently caress-all")

This table works well for the regular mode, but for NG+ and the arenas you need ~blue quality or better. Really, making that last one a 1 does a lot to improve the BL2 experience, especially since orange guns have lotsa fun effects! :)

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You guy spent some time talking about the inspiration for Borderlands in the first video. For those that haven't seen it, Codehunters. Borderlands was revealed in 2007 and released in 2009. It changed radically in those three years, this being the original trailer. Codehunters came out in 2007.

I feel like I can't even talk about the contents of the Code Hunters video without some major spoilers, which is saying a lot.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 28, 2014

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

SSNeoman posted:

This. Not to mention the default drop rates for legendary weapons are stupid-small. No, no, it's worse than you think.

Still? I figured Gearbox would have fixed that by now. I played quite a bit of BL2 right after release and the drop rate was atrocious. That led to everyone cheating and resulted in a flood of legendary weapons which just made the game boring.

Still, the storyline is entertaining and I really enjoy the universe they created for these games. I'm eager to see the main story again, and see the DLC that dropped after I quit the game.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Borderlands is my favorite space western. It just works a lot of concepts right, with stuff like the intergalactic corporate robber barons and the trigger-happy Space Rednecks with energy shields. There's really a feeling that there's a highly advanced space faring civilization out there and you're just on the assend of it.

mycot fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 28, 2014

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Unload My Head posted:

Still? I figured Gearbox would have fixed that by now. I played quite a bit of BL2 right after release and the drop rate was atrocious. That led to everyone cheating and resulted in a flood of legendary weapons which just made the game boring.

Still, the storyline is entertaining and I really enjoy the universe they created for these games. I'm eager to see the main story again, and see the DLC that dropped after I quit the game.

I believe that they did patch the drop rate at some point, but it took far too long. Haven't tried playing it again since, so I don't know whether things work any better in practice.

The DLC is... Well, one of them is definitely worthwhile. And I suppose you might not understand who some side characters in the Pre-Sequel are without two of the others, but... Honestly, there's just the one I would recommend. Assault on Dragon Keep actually has plot relevance as a bonus to being awesome.

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

Dooky Dingo posted:

I really wish that wasn't as accurate as it is. :(

Dingo's computer hard at work here.

So having not played BL2 yet and having also not read up on it in any way, I'm gathering that it's like Skyrim Diablo with guns. Which is pretty awesome, I gotta' say.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

With the caveat that it's just as much not like D2 as it is like it. Level layouts and enemy spawns aren't randomized, camera is first-person, 3D vs 2D, most playstyles are ranged, etc.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Yapping Eevee posted:

I believe that they did patch the drop rate at some point, but it took far too long. Haven't tried playing it again since, so I don't know whether things work any better in practice.

The DLC is... Well, one of them is definitely worthwhile. And I suppose you might not understand who some side characters in the Pre-Sequel are without two of the others, but... Honestly, there's just the one I would recommend. Assault on Dragon Keep actually has plot relevance as a bonus to being awesome.

Of course, your enjoyment of Dragon's Keep is based upon of how much you like Tiny Tina as a character.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Judge Tesla posted:

Of course, your enjoyment of Dragon's Keep is based upon of how much you like Tiny Tina as a character.

That's very true. Of course, I'm the kind of strange human being who thinks Tina's great and that Claptrap ought to be treated much better than he is, so YMMV.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Judge Tesla posted:

I liked her substantially more in Dragon's Keep than in the main game. I think Gearbox was honestly surprised how much backlash they got about her portrayal in the main game. Plus she's required to be a lot more than a walking stereotype for Dragon's Keep to work.

I personally enjoyed Dragon's Keep a lot more than I did the main game..

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I remember playing BL1 straight through with my brother. Over 3 days, we only ever paused to eat and go to school, but then we hit the ending. Good lord that was disappointing. I don't know what Gearbox was thinking, but horrible tentacles monster that can't hurt you if you stand in the right spot and drops poo poo loot after being promised the best gear in the game is so discouraging. I never played that game again
This LP definitely reminds me of why I marathoned the first one. Good job guys

In fact, I still haven't beaten BL2 because of that first ending. I have a level 36 siren on 360 who is a couple missions away from the warrior fight, but I really don't want to walk away feeling salty as gently caress again. We'll see at the end of this if the ending is worth playing through

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah, everyone felt The Destroyer was a terrible end boss in BL1, even Gearbox agrees with the amount of times they reference it in BL2, the end game of BL2 is FAR better than BL1 though, and you even get better loot, sometimes.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

:siren::ducksiren:New Video Day!:ducksiren::siren:
Episode 3: Captain Flynt's Flying Circus

Happy New Year, Goons!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Yeah, I'm really not a fan of the boss fights in this game. Pretty much all of them seem to follow the "one huge bulletsponge guy and a clusterfuck of infinitely spawning mooks" formula, which really gets old after a while. I suppose the smaller enemies are there to let you get a second wind when the boss nukes you, but I've never cared for this style of boss fights in any game and BL2 is no exception. At least in co-op you have other people to draw some of the fire and bail you out if you get killed, single player is just annoying.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

People mostly just cheese bosses in Borderlands, as in finding a spot on the map where the boss either can't touch you, or you can avoid its attacks very easily, but I'll agree though, bullet sponge bosses are just boring, especially in the higher levels of UVHM where it's a goddamn nightmare. (loving Leviathon in Captain Scarlet's DLC is the worst)

Drachir D Nalem
Aug 14, 2012
The best way to deal with bulletsponge bosses is to run around like a headless chicken while your stupidly overpowered buddy that's built his dude specifically to destroy everything within seconds do the job for you. Just as boring in the end, however.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I do like the Spinal Tap font they used for Flynt's intro screen, complete with umlauts over the Ns. :allears:

Also, I just started my first TVHM run with my siren so if someone wants to tag along, hit me up on Steam. Steam name (and avatar) is the same as here.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Doc Morbid posted:

Yeah, I'm really not a fan of the boss fights in this game. Pretty much all of them seem to follow the "one huge bulletsponge guy and a clusterfuck of infinitely spawning mooks" formula, which really gets old after a while. I suppose the smaller enemies are there to let you get a second wind when the boss nukes you, but I've never cared for this style of boss fights in any game and BL2 is no exception. At least in co-op you have other people to draw some of the fire and bail you out if you get killed, single player is just annoying.

I'm not a huge fan either, there was one boss in particular in that Tiny Tina DLC where it just took for-loving-ever to kill it and my whole team exhausted most of their ammo by the end. It wasn't even really challenging it was just kind of boring after a while.

But as for the mooks, my Psycho has the skill where you get back a big chunk of health per overkill damage so it basically turns all the weaker enemies into walking blood banks. So that's nice :)

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Well, this thread inspired me to buy this game. GOTY edition is :10bux: on steam for another 2 1/2 hours or so.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

:siren::ducksiren:NEW VIDEO DAY!:ducksiren::siren:
Chapter 4: Sanctuary

azren posted:

Well, this thread inspired me to buy this game. GOTY edition is :10bux: on steam for another 2 1/2 hours or so.
Normally, here I would say that this is usually the greatest compliment an LP'er can receive. However, 3 things:
1. This game is great enough that you wouldn't really need our help to decide to buy it.
2. The game is on super sale, ATM, so, again, it doesn't really need our help.
3. I've only been in half of the videos so far. :downs:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Well honestly, if it wasn't for this thread I probably wouldn't have bothered to grab the DLC and start playing the game again... and get horribly addicted and mess around with different characters and try out TVHM and put in 50 hours over a single week... oh god send help :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Hopefully Gearbox get off their butts and release either the Pre-Sequal or Borderlands 2 on PS4, one of my regrets about my faithful PS3 dying was not being able to play this game anymore, although Tales from the Borderlands is on New Gen systems, it's just not the same!

• Locked thread