Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!
:siren::ducksiren:NEW VIDEO DAY!:ducksiren::siren:
Chapter 5: The Happy Pig Motel

Now with ACTUAL Dingo! And LASERS! :science:
Also, Soop, too, or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012
e-tech guns aren't terrible. THAT e-tech gun is horrible though. (my psycho uses a e-tech fire sniper. Its bullets bounce when I miss.)
I got back into playing this a bit due to you guys playing. I'm not sure if I should play my psycho with you though. Playing with Darrark a bit and despite getting my friendly fire damage down to only 30% I think you guys would still cream me on accident. If not you then Worthington because Darrark's death trap killed me ATLEAST once when he wanted to kill the guy on the other side of me that I was stabbing.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I finally installed this (after picking it up for cheap) thanks to you nerds.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Chaeden posted:

e-tech guns aren't terrible. THAT e-tech gun is horrible though. (my psycho uses a e-tech fire sniper. Its bullets bounce when I miss.)
I got back into playing this a bit due to you guys playing. I'm not sure if I should play my psycho with you though. Playing with Darrark a bit and despite getting my friendly fire damage down to only 30% I think you guys would still cream me on accident. If not you then Worthington because Darrark's death trap killed me ATLEAST once when he wanted to kill the guy on the other side of me that I was stabbing.

You just need to play with a siren who has that "shoot to heal you" perk. Damage + Healing = Profit!
Also, Worthington will eventually kill all of us, regardless of class.
Worthington hungers.

Manuel Calavera posted:

I finally installed this (after picking it up for cheap) thanks to you nerds.
I've said it before, but seeing stuff like this is the greatest compliment you can give an LP'er. :cheers:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Dooky Dingo posted:

You just need to play with a siren who has that "shoot to heal you" perk. Damage + Healing = Profit!
Also, Worthington will eventually kill all of us, regardless of class.
Worthington hungers.

I'm pretty sure the Freindly Fire perk for Psychos overrides the Sirens healing bullets.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Cernunnos posted:

I'm pretty sure the Freindly Fire perk for Psychos overrides the Sirens healing bullets.

I'm not sure until I test it, but this forums thread seems to indicate that the healing actually takes precedence and Release The Beast doesn't get activated.
http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=280972

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Cernunnos posted:

I tried it with a friend's Siren who was several levels higher than me and I recharged my ability in a matter of seconds due to the damage but then the shots healed me afterwards. It wasn't an instant heal but it was was quicker than most passive regeneration abilities. So basically the damage (depending on the damage output from the gun) will all get healed, it'll just take a while, and it will refill your ability.

All that's a moot point for me now because I took off the friendly fire skill in favor of focusing solely on Release the Beast. Now I don't even activate my ability unless I'm lower than 1/4th of my health. I'm sure I'd be able to RtB a lot more if FF was on, but it's really annoying to get blown up by a friend's grenade and downed quicker than I can react.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I played a lot of Borderlands 1 and still do, but couldn't get into Borderlands 2. I even replayed it recently and got about, I dunno, 1/3 of the way through the game, before giving up entirely. If I had to pick a problem I'd have to pick the writing. Yeah it was never great to begin with, but in 1 there were moments where a few side characters that managed to endear themselves. But in 2 it feels that for returning characters they took a research group, asked what was most memorable about that character, and then wrote their dialogue to be only that.

Also it really grated me that the Vault Hunters from last game were now NPCs that had responsibilities and poo poo. Sorry, once a murder-hobo always a murder-hobo (unless you jab Satan into your head) and telling me they 'settled down' is an immediate immersion breaker. :colbert:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

"Settled Down" isn't quite what I would call it...

Roland formed the Crimson Raiders as a resistance movement against Jack literally murdering everyone with his robots and has been on the brink of death pretty much since the end of BL1.
Brick has become a notorious bandit leader, amassing a sizable gang that he uses to fight Jack and other bandits.
Lilith has set herself up as a demi-god to scare idiots into leaving Roland alone so he can fight Jack. (As well as occasionally trying to get into Roland's pants)
Mordecai has become a hermit, sitting atop his mountain throne and raining death upon all within his fiefdom like the Crimson King. O Discordia. Also, he was married to Moxxi for a while or something.
All the other returning characters are really just caught up in the same struggle as these, and you get the definite impression that they are a group of disheveled rebels on the very brink of annihilation.
They USED to be murder-hobos, now they are murder-moguls, leading armies to slaughter against a man with seemingly endless resources and a penchant for cruelty and devious plans.

In comparison, Borderlands 1 has as much story as the back of a cereal box.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I was just thinking that there needed to be an LP of this game and look what i find! Keep up the great work guys.

And the story of the first game is more like a cereal box that sombody has been eating from every time you weren't looking. All of the really exciting poo poo happens while you're not even around!

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I've got two issues with the way Gearbox implemented story in this game:

1. There's some serious thematic/timing issues with the comedy vs drama bits, and
2. NPCs :stare:ing at you. It's creepy as poo poo when ANY of the npcs look dead at the camera with their soulless eye textures. Roland is really bad about this, especially in his introduction. :gonk:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Keeshhound posted:

2. NPCs :stare:ing at you. It's creepy as poo poo when ANY of the npcs look dead at the camera with their soulless eye textures. Roland is really bad about this, especially in his introduction. :gonk:

Nah, they just stare like that because of the, presumably, enormous amounts of STUFF that has to be absolutely caking you every where you go.
Blood, hydraulic fluid, skag juice, spiderant vitriol, whatever the hell is inside Rakk, explosives residue, eridium, the list goes on and on.

You are literally giant walking rainbows of carnage and death and they just don't want you to come any closer than you have to...

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Funny thing about Mordecai, while he did date Moxxi for a time, she dumped his rear end for Jack almost the instant his smug face arrived on the scene, just like when Lilith and Roland dated, that didn't last very long because Lilith is a weird, awkward person and Roland was Mister Boring back in Borderlands 1, and he still is in 2!

Also, at least characters actually have animations in BL2, the NPC's might as well have been made out of stone in 1 since nobody had any sort of facial animation, hence the masks, a big feature of General Knoxx's DLC was facial animations, Scooter and Athena were the first NPC's who's lips moved during real time speech.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Judge Tesla posted:

Also, at least characters actually have animations in BL2, the NPC's might as well have been made out of stone in 1 since nobody had any sort of facial animation, hence the masks, a big feature of General Knoxx's DLC was facial animations, Scooter and Athena were the first NPC's who's lips moved during real time speech.

Honestly, I think the lack of animations made BL1 less creepy; in BL2 all the extra touches just pile together into this freaky uncanny valley effect.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Personally the only character whose dead-eyed stare actually creeped me out in BL2 was Scooter. He has that weird, hillbilly squint and a little tiny mouth that looks like some kind of hosed up baby bird mouth. Whenever he'd talk to me and follow me with his head in the early game I got the willies.

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012

Dooky Dingo posted:

Nah, they just stare like that because of the, presumably, enormous amounts of STUFF that has to be absolutely caking you every where you go.
Blood, hydraulic fluid, skag juice, spiderant vitriol, whatever the hell is inside Rakk, explosives residue, eridium, the list goes on and on.

You are literally giant walking rainbows of carnage and death and they just don't want you to come any closer than you have to...

Especially Krieg. That's his bath. He enjoys the 'ORGASM OF COLOR!'.

But yeah once you can reach release the beast the friendly fire skill loses its usefulness since you can instead full heal and have it instantly recharged once your out of the rage. At which point I start going for the left tree to make the rage last longer because EVERYONE loves a Badass Mutant Psycho Krieg and everyone wants him and his zombie charger self to stick around. :P

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Chapter 6: The Firehawk

Here's a question for you goons:
Do you think that Lilith is a well-written female character? Or is she just more spank-bait for mouth breathing fan-boys?
Please adequately defend your response or Jotsam will make some kind of infographic to put in the next video to shame and humiliate you. :pseudo:

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

You know, I keep wondering about something but I'm too drat lazy to put any effort in to figuring it out - is there really any benefit to completing the bonus challenges for missions like y'all put so much effort to on this one, or is it more about getting the badass challenge awards?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Bonus objectives usually get you more EXP and work you towards a challenge.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Dooky Dingo posted:

Chapter 6: The Firehawk

Here's a question for you goons:
Do you think that Lilith is a well-written female character? Or is she just more spank-bait for mouth breathing fan-boys?
Please adequately defend your response or Jotsam will make some kind of infographic to put in the next video to shame and humiliate you. :pseudo:

I like Lilith as a character, she's not as spank baity as Moxxi but, Moxxi's entire shtick is that she's a walking sex object/symbol, everything out of her mouth is an innuendo and she herself encourages everyone to drool over her. :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Dingo plays exactly like I do, namely, check every vending machine ever while spending ages selling loot :v:

Also, I wouldn't really call Lilith well written. She's far too damsel-y to be a strong, well written female character. Though, that being said, she's got some pretty great lines and quests.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

T1g4h posted:

Also, I wouldn't really call Lilith well written. She's far too damsel-y to be a strong, well written female character. Though, that being said, she's got some pretty great lines and quests.

Can you give me a more concrete definition of "damsel-y" and some examples? I'm not necessarily disagreeing, I just don't usually associate "Damsel in Distress" with "Hey Roland, I just melted a guys face, isn't that AWESOME?!*"

*this is an actual line of dialogue.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Late game spoiler territory, but...

I'm referring specifically to when she gets captured by Jack and, go figure, you have to go save her despite her apparently being some amazingly super powerful face melting magic badass? Maybe it's just me, but they make her out to be this awesome space wizard mercenary because she's a Siren, and then she ends up being taken hostage and used for ~*~evil nefarious purposes~*~ by the big baddy. Because plot.

It just felt particularly cliche to me :shrug:

Admittedly, she has her strong badass moments, but overall, it felt like she and the rest of the original Vault Hunters were made out to be complete and utter chumps in BL2. Except for Brick, because Brick is always amazing :allears:

e: I think the reason it bugs me so much is because she's shown to be capable of warping an entire floating city by focusing her powers, and they build her up into this super cool badass, and then... taken hostage by some dork in a mask. Just... goddamn Gearbox. It's not nearly as bad as Roland inexplicably getting one-shot in a world where you have shields that launch acid spikes and explode in a ball of flame when they run out, but it's still pretty cheesy. Don't hover over any of this if you care remotely about the BL2 story, by the way. All of those spoilers are blatant story ruiners.

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 10, 2015

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

T1g4h posted:

Late game spoiler territory, but...

I'm referring specifically to when she gets captured by Jack and, go figure, you have to go save her despite her apparently being some amazingly super powerful face melting magic badass? Maybe it's just me, but they make her out to be this awesome space wizard mercenary because she's a Siren, and then she ends up being taken hostage and used for ~*~evil nefarious purposes~*~ by the big baddy. Because plot.

It just felt particularly cliche to me :shrug:

Admittedly, she has her strong badass moments, but overall, it felt like she and the rest of the original Vault Hunters were made out to be complete and utter chumps in BL2. Except for Brick, because Brick is always amazing :allears:

e: I think the reason it bugs me so much is because she's shown to be capable of warping an entire floating city by focusing her powers, and they build her up into this super cool badass, and then... taken hostage by some dork in a mask. Just... goddamn Gearbox. It's not nearly as bad as Roland inexplicably getting one-shot in a world where you have shields that launch acid spikes and explode in a ball of flame when they run out, but it's still pretty cheesy. Don't hover over any of this if you care remotely about the BL2 story, by the way. All of those spoilers are blatant story ruiners.

Well, she was taken specifically because she was a Siren, to replace the Siren you killed earlier. And you don't save her so she'll fall in love with you, you do it to stop Handsome Jack's Douchey Plan and rescue an ally. She doesn't sacrifice herself or beg you to kill her, so she's not "fridged" either... I don't know, being in trouble and a woman doesn't automatically make a character a damsel.

As for why all Sirens are women and Magical Healers... that's a whole other crazy tangent.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

King Vidiot posted:

Well, she was taken specifically because she was a Siren, to replace the Siren you killed earlier. And you don't save her so she'll fall in love with you, you do it to stop Handsome Jack's Douchey Plan and rescue an ally. She doesn't sacrifice herself or beg you to kill her, so she's not "fridged" either... I don't know, being in trouble and a woman doesn't automatically make a character a damsel.

As for why all Sirens are women and Magical Healers... that's a whole other crazy tangent.

I know why she was taken hostage, and i'm not expecting some hamfisted romance plot. My entire reason for considering it a "damsel in distress" thing is because they took this ultra badass female character and put her in the typical "OH MAN, THE PRETTY MAIN FEMALE LEAD DONE GOT CAPTURED, YOU GOTTA GO SAVE HER BRO" scenario. She can melt faces and teleport cities, but she somehow gets taken hostage and has to be rescued. It's a bit silly and it is literally the textbook definition of Damseling.

"The damsel in distress or persecuted maiden is a classic theme in world literature, art, film and video games. She is usually a beautiful young woman placed in a dire predicament by a villain or monster and who requires a hero to achieve her rescue."

Don't get me wrong, I still love the hell out of the game and Gearbox did an amazing job with certain pieces of the story, especially in some of the DLC. That specific bit though? That entire section was pretty ridiculous in the overall plot.

e: I guess what i'm getting at is, she's not a bad character, and I do like her in BL2, she's just shoehorned into a particularly stupid bit of plot and it completely kills a ton of character building they do with her.

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 10, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
See this is why some people let Lilith kill Jack in the end.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Guys, I really don't care about spoilers. This game is several years old and these forums have already done one LP of this game, so knock off the CIA documents and just talk like regular people.

As for the "damsel" thing, I don't think that's really fair.
Yes, granted, she is a beautiful woman who has been captured and needs rescuing, but she needs rescuing because Handsome Jack has specifically trained and created technology to trap and contain sirens, not because she is powerless.
At the beginning of the game, we also rescue Roland. Does that make him "Damsel-y"? Why not? Just because he has a dick? Lilith isn't human, can you prove she DOESN'T have a dick?
I guess what I'm saying is that I never got the "damsel in distress" vibe from Lilith.
Angel, on the other hand, is another story.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Lilith is super-powerful even by Siren standards, but she's also a hot-headed idiot, see coming to that area at all despite being warned not to.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I'll give Gearbox credit where it's due; I don't think there's a single female character in any of the Borderlands games that really skeeved me out. I do object to Lilith's capture, but that's more because it feels like writer fiat rather than a real loss (see also, Wilhelm loosing to give you a trapped power core; I can't be the only one who saw that coming.) All in all, I'd say she's as solid a character as everyone else in the game.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Dooky Dingo posted:

Guys, I really don't care about spoilers. This game is several years old and these forums have already done one LP of this game, so knock off the CIA documents and just talk like regular people.

As for the "damsel" thing, I don't think that's really fair.
Yes, granted, she is a beautiful woman who has been captured and needs rescuing, but she needs rescuing because Handsome Jack has specifically trained and created technology to trap and contain sirens, not because she is powerless.
At the beginning of the game, we also rescue Roland. Does that make him "Damsel-y"? Why not? Just because he has a dick? Lilith isn't human, can you prove she DOESN'T have a dick?
I guess what I'm saying is that I never got the "damsel in distress" vibe from Lilith.
Angel, on the other hand, is another story.

100% spot on.

On the other hand, the double standard is still a thing

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012
Personally I think I actually WOULD call Roland Damsel-y. The guy doesn't do much of anything. He doesn't develop as a character at all on screen(and if he did at all it was between games then never really shown after) and everyone spends the game telling you he's awesome when literally EVERY other returning cast member helps you out to a greater extent and more impressively. Roland's good things he does is basically taking out the droids that broke into his cell unarmed(then immediately getting captured) and the fact that he still has his turret which while it barely helps you damage wise DOES heal you at least. Then later on he gets one shotted to up the tension. (And I personally take OFFENSE to the fact that Brick, Lilith, Mordecai, and Roland got beaten by Wilhelm considering he was a UTTER pushover in my playthrough even if he WAS 'poisoned' to weaken him. If it weren't for the presequel where they ATLEAST give him a unique appearance from the base workers there'd be no redeeming point to that entire character and even so now I'm disappointed that the BL2 Wilhelm wasn't nearly as cool and didn't have the Drones that are Wilhelm's special in the presequel. But this is a different argument entirely.)

Generally though Lilith seems pretty okay. I'm certainly seen worse written females, such as moxie, and she gets some good bits to go with her not noticing Jack sneaking up behind her to use his super special siren McGuffin on her like how Roland apparently decides to turn off his shields and his ability to be shot 4000 times to be killed by Jack with a pistol and we are all incapacitated so that they can have some story bits without us stepping in it and messing with their carefully laid poorly thought out plans that all somehow happen perfectly until the very end. Handsome Jack is like a anime protagonist with how often things just fall into his lap despite himself. (For one if he had NOT done the Wilhelm plan the power would have run out and he would have won earlier faster and easier, I seem to recall the shields were on the verge of dropping when you get back.)

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Dooky Dingo posted:

You forgot the pile of loot you're carrying.

Lillith isn't too bad as a female character who gets captured.
Unlike, yeah, Angel.

And she's way better written than Roland so :p

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

The only reason Lilith even got captured was because Handsome Jack knew exactly how to deal with Sirens, his own daughter was one, Angel warned her not to come but she ignored her and did, then Jack got her with that neck collar thing after he killed Roland, even then she wasn't exactly yelling for a rescue, more to "kill me if you can't save me so rear end in a top hat Jack won't abuse my god powers".

Roland is the worst character, in that he even starts off captured and got grabbed in a stupid way to start with, then everyone talks about how great a leader is and he gets punked by Jack, it's kinda hilarious when it happens too.

Roland, you sucked in Borderlands 1, were the most boring character to play as, you shall not be missed!

EDIT: Being a Siren is also why Maya has the highest bounty (before Gaige came along) and unlike the other characters, Jack is dead serious in her audio logs when Angel mentions this.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Judge Tesla posted:

Roland is the worst character, in that he even starts off captured and got grabbed in a stupid way to start with, then everyone talks about how great a leader is and he gets punked by Jack, it's kinda hilarious when it happens too.

I think, in this instance, Roland suffers from the same fate that Worf does on Star Trek: TNG.
Namely, you are supposed to accept that he is this ultra-badass and can just crack skulls at will, so they use him as a standard to judge the relative strength of the bad guy, in this case Jack, by how easily he beats him.
The problem, though, is that Roland and Worf both got their butts handed to them on such a regular basis that you began having a hard time believing that either one of them was ever actually any good at fighting at all.
All bark, no bite, effectively.

I still liked playing as commando during BL1 because I enjoyed the class mod that let the whole team regen ammo. v:v:v

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Sort of on the topic of story, it's really loving annoying that characters talking will override audio logs and there's no way to replay them. I mean, the game came out in 2012, and they still didn't account for that in some way?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Dooky Dingo posted:

I still liked playing as commando during BL1 because I enjoyed the class mod that let the whole team regen ammo. v:v:v

I'll give you that one, one of the guys I used to play with was there just for the ammo regen, he spent most fights crouched in a corner behind his turret, he didn't need to fight because I played as Lilith and another dude was Brick, so we kinda cleaned house.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Judge Tesla posted:

I'll give you that one, one of the guys I used to play with was there just for the ammo regen, he spent most fights crouched in a corner behind his turret, he didn't need to fight because I played as Lilith and another dude was Brick, so we kinda cleaned house.

All you need is soldier for ammo and siren for health regen and the game becomes easy mode.
Or, you can just play Hunter, beef up bloodwing and never have to shoot your gun again.
(Jotsam did this on every playthrough and it was beautiful and terrible to behold.)

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Using a siren for health regen is sacrilege. Firebug, all day every day. :supaburn:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Well by the time of the 4th DLC and final patch for BL1, you could basically have every major talent in every tree, it capped at 69 (hurr).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

If you played Hunter and didn't go full Tresspass in BL1, I don't know what you were doing. 100% chance for all rounds to ignore shields? :getin:

• Locked thread