Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

T1g4h posted:

If you played Hunter and didn't go full Tresspass in BL1, I don't know what you were doing. 100% chance for all rounds to ignore shields? :getin:

Nope, he went down the Rogue tree.
By the end, Bloodwing was so overpowered that none of us could last more than a second with him in PvP. He would just send out that stupid bird and murder us instantly.
Also, he could hide behind cover and send out bloodwing and it would clear out entire areas. It was even more overpowered than Worthington because the movement speed was much greater and the bird would also bring back items.
It was literally an "I Win" button. Also, if you got the gem thing that infused Bloodwing with shock, it wouldn't matter if they had shields or not. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Yeah, but Bloodwing killing everything wasn't nearly as fun as getting the Bessie and just one shotting everything by going full Sniper tree :v:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

T1g4h posted:

Yeah, but Bloodwing killing everything wasn't nearly as fun as getting the Bessie and just one shotting everything by going full Sniper tree :v:

It's almost like Gearbox heard people talking about Bloodwing being overpowered because she gets blown up by Jack in a hilariously cruel way, Jack's the kinda guy who makes you go "Ha ha haaaa that's not really funny and is kinda hosed up"

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Judge Tesla posted:

It's almost like Gearbox heard people talking about Bloodwing being overpowered because she gets blown up by Jack in a hilariously cruel way, Jack's the kinda guy who makes you go "Ha ha haaaa that's not really funny and is kinda hosed up"

Yeah, but I have to say, they did a pretty decent job writing him as a villain. Like, not only is he a massive dick, he's a funny, smarmy motherfucker at times. See: Anything to do with Butt Stallion :v:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Judge Tesla posted:

That actually made me kind of sad when it happened to me the first time. :smith:
Bloodwing is just an animal, but is probably the closest thing to a best friend that Mordecai has. Jack abducts her, experiments on her and then brainwashes her to follow his bidding.
All while, at the very end, Jack intends to have you fight her, probably beat her and then execute her as gruesomely as possible right in front of you.
It's probably the closest Borderlands gets to actual puppy murder, and it just tips Jack over the line for me from "Douchebag" to "rear end in a top hat who will die slowly".

T1g4h posted:

Yeah, but I have to say, they did a pretty decent job writing him as a villain. Like, not only is he a massive dick, he's a funny, smarmy motherfucker at times. See: Anything to do with Butt Stallion :v:

See above, but he does make a very compelling villain. He doesn't really directly confront you for the majority of the game, but does a great job of menacing you, reminding you of why you are doing what you are doing and being a memorable character all at the same time.
Another example of this would be Vaas from FarCry 3, though, well... that situation has it's own problems that is best reserved for a different LP.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I originally had the "super overpowered Bloodwing build" but i could never get her to do the poo poo you're describing it was more like she'd come out and maybe murder the poo poo out of a few dudes at a time then come back

I was more of a fan of

T1g4h posted:

100% chance for all rounds to ignore shields? :getin:

Did Hunters have a health regen mod as well? I distinctly remember playing 2 player co-op with my friend and switching between 2 different mods for different situations? I know i had one that made a bunch of skills even better and i think the other was a health regen mod.

Soooooo much time wasted glitching the armory and trying to grind 1% drops off of Claptraps in Robot Revolution for those last 2 achievements :suicide:

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Dooky Dingo posted:

All while, at the very end, Jack intends to have you fight her, probably beat her and then execute her as gruesomely as possible right in front of you.
It's probably the closest Borderlands gets to actual puppy murder, and it just tips Jack over the line for me from "Douchebag" to "rear end in a top hat who will die slowly".

Jack is excellently written in that almost literally everything you hear him say or do makes throughout the entire game you want to punch him more.

Drachir D Nalem
Aug 14, 2012
I dunno why people don't like having a Commando in BL1, I loved shoot-healing, giving supportfire with a turret and having ammo regen on the same dude. I like the turret in 2 even more, but I wish I could still shoot-heal with Axton since I always spend more time running around supporting those I play with rather than just focusing on murdering. Also tend to die in like two shots because I'm not really good at the game.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I'm sour to Roland because a good 80% of players in Borderlands 1 were Roland and most of them were terrible at the game, I remember joining public matches and seeing 3 other Rolands and the warcry of "A Siren, oh my god!" would soon follow.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I will admit that while I got bored with this game quickly, Jack is one of my favorite videogame villians. He's such a douchebag with funny dialog but is also such a total monster that you can't wait to horribly murder.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Right? I decided he's on my poo poo list the first time I heard him say "butt stallion".

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

kaosdrachen posted:

Jack is excellently written in that almost literally everything you hear him say or do makes throughout the entire game you want to punch him more.

And the beautiful thing is, the further you explore the game (through side quests, the optional logs, etc.) you just find more and more cases of Jack being a dick.

Drachir D Nalem
Aug 14, 2012

Judge Tesla posted:

I'm sour to Roland because a good 80% of players in Borderlands 1 were Roland and most of them were terrible at the game, I remember joining public matches and seeing 3 other Rolands and the warcry of "A Siren, oh my god!" would soon follow.

Never really experienced that since I only played with three friends who each chose different classes. I just chose Roland because I am not good at shooters, I like supporting and using turrets.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

anilEhilated posted:

Right? I decided he's on my poo poo list the first time I heard him say "butt stallion".

He had me at the whole "making a woman recount a horrible experience and then shooting her in the head and making light of the fact that he just shot her in the head" bit. Up until then he was just kind of annoying dick who seemed to want me dead for some reason, possibly related to greed and dickishness.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

King Vidiot posted:

He had me at the whole "making a woman recount a horrible experience and then shooting her in the head and making light of the fact that he just shot her in the head" bit. Up until then he was just kind of annoying dick who seemed to want me dead for some reason, possibly related to greed and dickishness.

It's appropriate that those logs are the one of the first things in the entire game, because they set up his personality so well. "Oh Wilhelm, kill these savages."

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

It's even meaner as said woman was Helena Pierce, a quest-giver and leader of New Haven from BL1, but she was rather a bland character so I didn't miss her much. :v:

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

mycot posted:

It's appropriate that those logs are the one of the first things in the entire game, because they set up his personality so well. "Oh Wilhelm, kill these savages."

Say what you will about Jack; the man's got -great- comedic timing.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Judge Tesla posted:

It's even meaner as said woman was Helena Pierce, a quest-giver and leader of New Haven from BL1, but she was rather a bland character so I didn't miss her much. :v:

Yeah, see, that's the thing.
If she had died from a skag attack or bullymongs or something, we would just shrug it off as "Eh, Pandora is a dangerous place."
But, because Jack is such a dick already and has been taunting us, we use the death of a person I couldn't have told you the name of before the audio log as justification for wanting Jack's head on a pike.
I don't disagree, it's just really strange... :shepface:

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Dooky Dingo posted:

If she had died from a skag attack or bullymongs or something, we would just shrug it off as "Eh, Pandora is a dangerous place."

You don't blame a skag or a bullymong for being a ravenous omnicidal critter.

Jack, on the other hand, is theoretically a sentient being who chooses to be consistently and completely horrible to absolutely everyone he interacts with.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Dooky Dingo posted:

But, because Jack is such a dick already and has been taunting us, we use the death of a person I couldn't have told you the name of before the audio log as justification for wanting Jack's head on a pike.
I don't disagree, it's just really strange... :shepface:

It's good character writing.

Gearbox might not be the best at making a good story but they can make some pretty good/memorable characters.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

kaosdrachen posted:

You don't blame a skag or a bullymong for being a ravenous omnicidal critter.

Jack, on the other hand, is theoretically a sentient being who chooses to be consistently and completely horrible to absolutely everyone he interacts with.
But wasn't Jack horribly disfigured in an accident, which is why he has to wear the mask, possibly leading to a life where he feels he has to be terrible/sociopathic in order to create a reality where stuff like that doesn't happen any more?

I think we can all agree that his motives (get rich, get rid of criminals, try to create an idyllic place for people, geez the guy might as well dress up in black and call himself Batman.) aren't necessarily wrong, it's the actions that are spawned from them.

He WOULD be a walking argument for "The Ends Justify The Means", except Gearbox wrote him so that he is also casually cruel and generally unsympathetic and you just want to punch him in the face.

Is Jack a "Straw-Man"? DO the ends sometimes justify the means, but by representing that position with a person who is insurmountably repellent, causes players to want to shy away from that view?

Except, in the course of the game, you murder WAAAAY more people than Jack ever did, including guys working for Hyperion who are, ostensibly, just doing their jobs! So... WTF, Gearbox? What are you trying to tell us? :tinfoil:

Actually, it's just a game and they made a fun character. That's it. That's the depth of the game.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

The razing of New Haven is treated like a massive terrible atrocity, but I've been to New Haven, it was a shithole, it was literally Mudcity surrounded by giant piles of garbage and sewage, but it was the "Hub-town" of Borderlands 1 so I guess you were supposed to feel bad it was wrecked but, sorry Gearbox, the place was a dump.

Fyrestone was a decent place but once Doctor Ned left for New Haven it was a pure ghost town, not a single soul to be found there.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Props to Jack's voice actor, too. He really sells the smug monstrous rear end in a top hat.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

Props to Jack's voice actor, too. He really sells the smug monstrous rear end in a top hat.

Dameon Clarke voiced him, and to most people he's the voice actor of Cell from Dragonball.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Judge Tesla posted:

Dameon Clarke voiced him, and to most people he's the voice actor of Cell from Dragonball.

Holy crap, that is some "Gary Oldman" levels of acting versatility, there. :staredog:

Drachir D Nalem
Aug 14, 2012
Never watched Dragonball, how different is his voice in that?

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Drachir D Nalem posted:

Never watched Dragonball, how different is his voice in that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB45FE6y_wg

I linked one to imperfect Cell, but upon further examination, it is perfect cell who is the same voice. Link is fixed now.
Not quite as impressive, but still...

Dooky Dingo fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 12, 2015

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Dooky Dingo posted:

But wasn't Jack horribly disfigured in an accident, which is why he has to wear the mask, possibly leading to a life where he feels he has to be terrible/sociopathic in order to create a reality where stuff like that doesn't happen any more?

Well, you know that Pre-Sequel game? It'll explain a whole lot about why Jack is the way he is. And sure, let's call it an accident. Spoilers for the more recent game, including its ending: Lilith and Roland are involved in helping Jack completely lose his poo poo. Especially when Lilith's the one who brands a vault symbol into his face with her fist.

Yapping Eevee fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 13, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Dooky Dingo posted:

I think we can all agree that his motives (get rich, get rid of criminals, try to create an idyllic place for people, geez the guy might as well dress up in black and call himself Batman.) aren't necessarily wrong, it's the actions that are spawned from them.

He WOULD be a walking argument for "The Ends Justify The Means", except Gearbox wrote him so that he is also casually cruel and generally unsympathetic and you just want to punch him in the face.

Is Jack a "Straw-Man"? DO the ends sometimes justify the means, but by representing that position with a person who is insurmountably repellent, causes players to want to shy away from that view?

Except, in the course of the game, you murder WAAAAY more people than Jack ever did, including guys working for Hyperion who are, ostensibly, just doing their jobs! So... WTF, Gearbox? What are you trying to tell us? :tinfoil:

Actually, it's just a game and they made a fun character. That's it. That's the depth of the game.

I always thought that Jack took the concept of a villain being better/sympathetic just because they had "good reasons" for their poo poo and turned it on its head. What he's trying to do technically isn't wrong, but that doesn't mean he's not a horrible person.

mycot fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 13, 2015

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

:siren::ducksiren:NEW VIDEO DAY!:ducksiren::siren:

Chapter 8: FrostBURN Canyon

This weeks special guest is Darrark.
It goes about as well as you'd expect.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Also, yes, we are aware of the weird video cropping glitch and the buzzing audio.
Jotsam is starting to have a few computer issues, so fingers crossed that it isn't the LP curse.
Unfortunately, as we record two videos at a time, Friday's video will probably have the same problems, but next weeks videos will be fine.
Thank you for your love and understanding. :tipshat:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I like the contrast between locations from BL1 and 2, 1 was mostly desert areas with scrapyards and such thrown in, while 2 is more diverse with snow, grassy plains and such, it still has its barren wastelands of course, but it's not 80% of the area like in the first.

Hell, the final Headhunter pack adds a tropical beach resort with palm trees.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Yes, Borderlands 2 does a great job with separate bio-spheres and the appropriate wild-life between them.
If you notice, most of the "nice" areas are places where Hyperion touched down and started settling, so the question then becomes did Pandora always have those places and we just never saw them in our hunt for the vault in BL1, or is Hyperion in the process of terra-forming the planet and the "civilized" areas are just farther along in the process?

Also, say what you will about the evils of corporate greed, I would much rather live in Opportunity than Sanctuary. The slot machines throw live grenades at you! :gibs:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

The Crimson Lance were supposedly in control of a lot of Pandora's areas during 1, the 10 seconds of plot we got towards the end mentioned people in Sanctuary being forced to pay tribute (Protection money) to them, I guess those areas would have been relatively safe but once General Knoxx died and the Atlas Corporation was dismantled by Hyperion, the areas under their control fell apart.

You'll notice that the Badass Bandits wear Crimson Lance gear, which is pretty much what happened to the ones not killed by the Vault Hunters or joined Roland and the Crimson Raiders.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Dooky Dingo posted:

Also, say what you will about the evils of corporate greed, I would much rather live in Opportunity than Sanctuary. The slot machines throw live grenades at you! :gibs:

That's kind of a false binary though; there's no real reason why you should have to put up with fascism and propaganda or hyperlibertarianism just to be safe, even on Pandora.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Keeshhound posted:

That's kind of a false binary though; there's no real reason why you should have to put up with fascism and propaganda or hyperlibertarianism just to be safe, even on Pandora.

It's a bit of social darwin-ism, I'm afraid. The only groups with the fire-power and the will to use it are corporate fascists or literally insane murderous criminals.
Pandora, just like the real world, is based upon a power structure. Money, weapons, logistics, they all account for power. Everyone either wants to control everyone else or have complete anarchy, but no one trusts anyone else to help them create it.
In essence, the only people who are still left standing at this point are the people who are powerful enough to continue existing, they just happen to also be bug-nuts. Which really leads me to my next point.
All systems, no matter how carefully thought out or constructed, will eventually crumble into chaos, however, so this entire endeavor is relatively fleeting.
Such is life. O DISCORDIA

Do you think this will be the end of Pandora after this is over? Or will life find a way?

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
How are you guys getting so many Loot Goliaths?

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

syzpid posted:

How are you guys getting so many Loot Goliaths?
I have absolutely no idea! Zipthar smiles upon us! :pray::worship:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

:siren::ducksiren:NEW VIDEO DAY!:ducksiren::siren:

Chapter 9: Matchstick

Today, we ritualistically sacrifice a midget to a false god we helped create! Excitement!

Continued special guest: Darrark

Video cropping and audio buzzing still exist in this video, next weeks will be fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Judge Tesla posted:

The Crimson Lance were supposedly in control of a lot of Pandora's areas during 1, the 10 seconds of plot we got towards the end mentioned people in Sanctuary being forced to pay tribute (Protection money) to them, I guess those areas would have been relatively safe but once General Knoxx died and the Atlas Corporation was dismantled by Hyperion, the areas under their control fell apart.

You'll notice that the Badass Bandits wear Crimson Lance gear, which is pretty much what happened to the ones not killed by the Vault Hunters or joined Roland and the Crimson Raiders.

Tales from the Borderlands actually makes reference to this; at one point a Pandoran says "Atlas was bad, but Hyperion was worse".

• Locked thread