Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

mycot posted:

Tales from the Borderlands actually makes reference to this; at one point a Pandoran says "Atlas was bad, but Hyperion was worse".

Yeah, I'll take militant humans over soul-less killing machines any day of the week.
Which begs an interesting question: is there a GOOD option in the Universe for people to live? Or is it all just Crimson Lance and Hyperion and Atlas wars everywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DFlux
Apr 25, 2008

Dooky Dingo posted:

Yeah, I'll take militant humans over soul-less killing machines any day of the week.
Which begs an interesting question: is there a GOOD option in the Universe for people to live? Or is it all just Crimson Lance and Hyperion and Atlas wars everywhere?

From what we got from Gaige's story the Good option for living is not in the Borderlands. If you live on the innerworlds where their are actual governments and places of order you do pretty alright. Its just the borderlands that are rampant poo poo.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Yeah, Gaige seems to be the only person with a "normal" upbringing. But Pandora's the kind of place that only attracts a certain kind of person, and that person isn't usually the most stable individual in a given space.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 17, 2015

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

DFlux posted:

From what we got from Gaige's story the Good option for living is not in the Borderlands. If you live on the innerworlds where their are actual governments and places of order you do pretty alright. Its just the borderlands that are rampant poo poo.

Then again, Gaige did piss an insanely powerful person off by accidently killing his daughter due to Deathtrap shenanigans and having an eye watering 800 million bounty placed on her, that's higher than Maya's bounty and she's a Siren!

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
At least it's not Promethea

I want a Borderlands game to describe why Promethea is a complete craphole

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

DFlux posted:

Well, if the wiki is to be believed, apparently there was at one point a central government. Which, apparently, was destroyed by Hyperion, Atlas, et all in an event called the Last Corporate War; this also implies that there were preceding corporate wars which weakened the government enough for it to eventually collapse. Smaller governments might still exist I guess, but if they do they're probably in place to rubberstamp the demands of the militant corporate structure and do the scutwork the Corporate Powers wouldn't want to pay for.

If such is the case, then there probably isn't anywhere that is not in some way some kind of crap hole.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ostension is the act of showing or presenting something, often to serve as an example.

This is an ostensive sentence.

Of course it was kind of a crap ostensive sentence but I can't resist doing that.

"Ostensibly" means basically "as it was presented or shown". You expected to find Matchstick's corpse down there because that's the direction the game showed it falling.

Often it's used to contrast a more hidden truth: Matchstick's corpse was not actually down there; it was only ostensibly down there.

And now that I've given everybody the image of a Borderlands illustrated dictionary, my job is done here.

Well, almost. Is my video player just wonky or have you taken the top left corner of the screen and left off most of the HUD? I kind of like the HUD.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Glazius posted:

Ostension is the act of showing or presenting something, often to serve as an example.

This is an ostensive sentence.

Of course it was kind of a crap ostensive sentence but I can't resist doing that.

"Ostensibly" means basically "as it was presented or shown". You expected to find Matchstick's corpse down there because that's the direction the game showed it falling.

Often it's used to contrast a more hidden truth: Matchstick's corpse was not actually down there; it was only ostensibly down there.

And now that I've given everybody the image of a Borderlands illustrated dictionary, my job is done here.

Well, almost. Is my video player just wonky or have you taken the top left corner of the screen and left off most of the HUD? I kind of like the HUD.

Thank you, I'm going to take this as justification for my point.
Dingo's: 1 Athetits: 0

Also, there was a recording error for this session, meaning both the Wednesday and Friday videos got messed up.
However, this error has been fixed, as well as the buzzing audio in future videos.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

It'd be nice if the guy doing the video recording didn't miss half the action to loot containers.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Hello Sailor posted:

It'd be nice if the guy doing the video recording didn't miss half the action to loot containers.

I don't think you understand Borderlands, fights are just there to distract you between opening hundreds of crates, if you don't open every single crate on Pandora in each playthrough, you should immediately uninstall the game forever, or if you are on the console version, snap the disk in half.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Judge Tesla posted:

I don't think you understand Borderlands, fights are just there to distract you between opening hundreds of crates, if you don't open every single crate on Pandora in each playthrough, you should immediately uninstall the game forever, or if you are on the console version, snap the disk in half.

This person gets it.

Also, if Jotsam doesn't open and loot all the containers I WILL. :choco:

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
If, say, Jotsam beat everyone else to every chest, would he get all the money and ammo, or is it distributed among other players, too?

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

HisMajestyBOB posted:

If, say, Jotsam beat everyone else to every chest, would he get all the money and ammo, or is it distributed among other players, too?

ammo, money and eridium are distributed evenly to each player.
Grenades, weapons and, I believe, health are not.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
You guys are being pretty prolific. I am glad.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Judge Tesla posted:

Oh, I'm not disputing the necessity of opening every crate you encounter. Just that maybe it could wait until the enemies in the area are dead or that more of the mid-combat crate opening responsibility could be handled by players who aren't doing the recording.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Hello Sailor posted:

Oh, I'm not disputing the necessity of opening every crate you encounter. Just that maybe it could wait until the enemies in the area are dead or that more of the mid-combat crate opening responsibility could be handled by players who aren't doing the recording.

I was completely serious when I said it was my fault.
I am the whirlwind. I am the thousand reaching hands. I am utter darkness and desolation in a dry land.
I will come swiftly and I will take everything.
There can be no respite, there will be no hesitation.
You cannot stop me, you can only try to outrun me.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Little known biblical fact; had the murder of every first-born son of Egypt not been enough to sway pharaoh, Yahweh was prepared to unleash an eleventh plague of "drop Dooky Dingo in there and see how long they could manage with him stealing all of their poo poo."

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Keeshhound posted:

Little known biblical fact; had the murder of every first-born son of Egypt not been enough to sway pharaoh, Yahweh was prepared to unleash an eleventh plague of "drop Dooky Dingo in there and see how long they could manage with him stealing all of their poo poo."
I'm a dingo.
All of the babies went missing.
NOW DO YOU SEE?

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

Dooky Dingo posted:

I'm a dingo.
All of the babies went missing.
NOW DO YOU SEE?

Considering how old you are, I say this checks out. :smug:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Mr. Soop posted:

Considering how old you are, I say this checks out. :smug:

Tough talk from someone who bakes brownies in their spare time, Suzie Homemaker.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Hello Sailor posted:

You...you haven't played Borderlands before have you.
(battles tend to flow a lot, so if you don't loot poo poo now, you'll forget to loot it. And that is bad.)

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

There's also more enemies in Co-Op and 4 players has the maximum amount of enemies and difficulty, loot does despawn if left alone for too long but you really have to be sitting on your hands for this to happen.

In later areas, opening crates mid battle can sometimes save your butts if you run low on ammo, one of the bosses, Bun3eR even has vending machines in his fight since he takes forever to kill, even with corrosive weapons and the knowledge that you can safely sit by said machines and he'll never hurt you.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Veloxyll posted:

(battles tend to flow a lot, so if you don't loot poo poo now, you'll forget to loot it the scumbags you're playing it with will steal it from right under your nose. And that is bad.)

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

^also true.

The reason earlier in the LP that one of the co-commentators complained that our leader was taking so long to decide on the sniper rifle was because it takes physical effort to not press E.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Gearbox really needs to make bosses that aren't giant bullet sponges, the raid bosses, while fun, are just bullet sponges and 1 hit kills, which is not so fun.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Judge Tesla posted:

Gearbox really needs to make bosses that aren't giant bullet sponges, the raid bosses, while fun, are just bullet sponges and 1 hit kills, which is not so fun.

Jotsam and I were just talking about this, actually.
You see, we agree with you, most definitely, but what are the alternatives?
There are "gimmick" fights, similar to the Dodongo in OoT that you have to feed bombs, but people complain about gimmick bosses and blah blah blah.
Since your party, and even just you to a certain extent, will almost certainly be over-leveled for the quest your doing simply by virtue of doing the other quests, the bosses can't have reduced health or damage because then you would just steam roll them.
People complain about bosses that consist of too many smaller enemies.
You want your boss to have that "epic" feel, but how do you accomplish that without a drawn-out battle?

I honestly can't blame them for their design decisions, honestly, simply because it's the only path that makes logical sense, encourages replayability and necessitates teamwork.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for boss design that would be better?

DFlux
Apr 25, 2008
Honestly the biggest problem with Borderlands bosses is that at the end of the day you're just shooting dudes and its hard to design bosses that aren't bullet sponges to be whittled down when all you can do is shoot dudes. And while yeah all the classes shoot dudes in a variety of ways they're still just that; shooting dudes. There would probably be more variance in bosses if there were more variance in ways that the characters could do damage. Like, having melee characters or a caster(which could easily be done with the sirens) would help a lot for variance. Hell during the course of the game you run into enemies who weld melee weapons against you; why can't there be a melee weapon system that has the same variety as the gun system?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Bullet sponges are just dull and uninteresting. How about something that plays to the game's strengths. elemental vulnerabilities, weak/vulnerable spots. Even big attacks that leave it vulnerable. Just anything but another bullet sponge.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
The boss fight against Jack himself right before the final boss was one I actually enjoyed immensely, and was disapointed that it didn't go on longer. There's a place for bullet sponge bosses, but it certainly wouldn't have hurt to have a few more bosses that relied on being hard to hit, rather than having a mountain of hitpoints.

DFlux
Apr 25, 2008
And yeah giving bosses weak points besides Shoot it in the Head would help a lot.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

DFlux posted:

And yeah giving bosses weak points besides Shoot it in the Head would help a lot.

Scorch in Frostburn Canyon doesn't have a head weakness.
His weak point is his butt. :colbert:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

The Headhunter DLC's have cool bosses and are a little more involved than the main game's lot, the Pumpkin King from the first Headhunter pack for example requires you to clear the area of little dudes who attack you, and kill specific mobs before they climb onto the big guy and heal him.

Then there's the giant Turkey boss from the 2nd pack, it's Torgue themed so is of course, awesome! :torgue:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

:siren::ducksiren:NEW VIDEO DAY!:ducksiren::siren:

Chapter 9: The Dust

Today, we meet Ellie, the most attractive character in the entire Borderlands franchise. If your name is Mr. Soop. :getin:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Boss design has certainly come a long way from Crawmerax in the first game though, god he was annoying.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I hope you'll eventually be using the guns that talk later on, especially The Bane or the Hyperion Sniper that insults you when you fire it.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Judge Tesla posted:

I hope you'll eventually be using the guns that talk later on, especially The Bane or the Hyperion Sniper that insults you when you fire it.

Oh, those are favorites of Jotsam and Kreslev and they will definitely be keeping one around for grins.
Unfortunately, I am such an autistic turbo-nerd that I never use the bloody things because by the time I get them, they are far out-classed by the rest of the arsenal I have amassed.
Such is life, I suppose. :shepface:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

I always liked the Dahl sniper rifles. If you got a good roll and got the foregrip for stability along with Dahl Barrel and stock for reduced recoil, they were super accurate and it was not at all difficult to get a consistent all-headshot burst. Plus, the Pitchfork Legendary on a Sniper specced Zer0 with one of the ammo regenning class mods would let you solo Terramorphous without any issue. I got to the point where I could melt him fairly quickly using a Dahl based setup :v:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Dahl snipers aren't awful accuracy wise, the only problems I have with them is that they burn through my extremely limited ammo supply and shoot slow when I would want a burst fire weapon, like when someone rushes me and I don't have the time or room to aim down the sights before getting cornholed. Thanks to Dahl magicks I am now plinking away at the badass psycho instead of dropping in the 2-5 round burst that I'm used to

That same idea is why I almost always have a Hyperion shotgun on me. If I'm down or someone is close enough to make me panic, I can blast away and always hit with close range shotgun damage instead blind firing my sniper and missing a guy 10 feet away

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Yeah, that's why you keep a shotgun or, even better, Dahl SMG on hand for close quarters stuff. I'm a Dahl fanboy, I love their burst accuracy and they're great fun to play with. That, and their various camos just look so drat good :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Meh, you guys don't know what's good.
Jacobs or Torgue, all the way.
Jacobs because if it takes more than one shot, you SHOULD have used a jacobs.
Torgue because explosions and also :torgue:

On a side note, if Dahl would just reverse their formula, burst fire unzoomed - single shot zoomed, then you would have the perfect sniper and would never need another gun again.

• Locked thread