Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Dooky Dingo posted:

My God... Of course...
IT'S ANIMES ALL THE WAY DOWN. :kheldragar:

And to add to the pile., Torgue himself is voiced by MISTER SATAN himself, which makes him the best character.

Seriously, half the modern DBZ cast is in Borderlands 2, most of the VA's do work for Funimation.

Judge Tesla fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I heard a theory that the hilarious amount of overlap is because Funimation and Gearbox are both based in Texas, so they just end up hiring them out of convenience (no need to fly in actors if they're already going to be there, after all).

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

mycot posted:

I heard a theory that the hilarious amount of overlap is because Funimation and Gearbox are both based in Texas, so they just end up hiring them out of convenience (no need to fly in actors if they're already going to be there, after all).

Also, the pool for experienced voice talent is shallow as hell.
Mostly because the people who have already gotten work will CONTINUE to get work and literally voice everyone.
See: Michael Wincott

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Dooky Dingo posted:

Also, the pool for experienced voice talent is shallow as hell.
Mostly because the people who have already gotten work will CONTINUE to get work and literally voice everyone.
See: Michael Wincott

I'm surprised Cam Clarke didn't voice anything in a Borderlands game

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Dr.Smasher posted:

I'm surprised Cam Clarke didn't voice anything in a Borderlands game

Real talk, tho:
When I die, I want my memoirs read by Patrick Warburton.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Dooky Dingo posted:

Real talk, tho:
When I die, I want my memoirs read by Patrick Warburton.

He voices Vasquez in Tales from the Borderlands, and is one of the guys trying to fill Handsome Jack's boots in Hyperion after his death.

Judge Tesla fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 30, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Judge Tesla posted:

He voices Vasquez in Tales from the Borderlands, and is one of the guys trying to fill Handsome Jack's boots in Hyperion after his death.

I wonder if it's just a rule for Hyperion to have the best voice actors.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

:siren::ducksiren:New Video Day!:ducksiren::siren:

Chapter 12: Wilhelm scream

Part 2 of the Offense-O-thon!
Today, we discuss our same-gender crushes! :circlefap:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I know it was part of Jack's scheme but Wilhelm seriously went down like a total chump, it was one of the major complaints about the game, every person you meet tells you Wilhelm is a massive threat, the guy even defeated the characters from BL1 single handedly and razed New Haven but here, he goes down in moments.

As I've said, I know the plot reasons as to why and I accept it, but I can't help but feel disappointed all the same.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Judge Tesla posted:

I know it was part of Jack's scheme but Wilhelm seriously went down like a total chump, it was one of the major complaints about the game, every person you meet tells you Wilhelm is a massive threat, the guy even defeated the characters from BL1 single handedly and razed New Haven but here, he goes down in moments.

As I've said, I know the plot reasons as to why and I accept it, but I can't help but feel disappointed all the same.

I understand from a narrative perspective, but, honestly, if Jack was really smart he would have found a way to hook Wilhelm's power core up to Angel without damaging him so that the fight would have been more epic and, possibly, had actually killed a few of the vault hunters.
As it stands, if any of them had any kind of sense, they should have noticed that Wilhelm died too easily and that something seemed fishy, but... welp. :downs:
Jack was just going for the most dramatic turn of events, I guess.
Say what you will about the guy and his effectiveness, but he sure knows theatrics like a pro.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

You are actually heading towards one of the more annoying sections of the game, the Gluttonous Thresher fight, I don't think anyone in the history of the game liked that fight, Threshers are annoying pieces of poo poo normally but the big guy has a really fast recharging shield and is rather powerful for the levels the typical player will reach him at.

Badass Pyro Threshers are the WORST enemy type in the entire game as well, they are right up there with the Witch Doctors from Hammerlocks DLC.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Dooky Dingo posted:

Say what you will about the guy and his effectiveness, but he sure knows theatrics like a pro.
"This is a song for Mordecai's stupid bird, in E."
Okay, that's a bit of a low blow, but overly theatrical not very effective does seem to describe his plans pretty drat well. He's just not that smart.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

anilEhilated posted:

"This is a song for Mordecai's stupid bird, in E."
Okay, that's a bit of a low blow, but overly theatrical not very effective does seem to describe his plans pretty drat well. He's just not that smart.

That part threw me, because the tone's just all over the place. Like, am I supposed to be sad that Bloodwing died, or am I supposed to be feeling sympathy for Mordecai's loss (both of those can work together) or am I supposed to be laughing at Jack making an rear end out of himself? Tragedy and Comedy need to be balanced rather precisely, and I'd say they flubbed it pretty bad there.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Keeshhound posted:

That part threw me, because the tone's just all over the place. Like, am I supposed to be sad that Bloodwing died, or am I supposed to be feeling sympathy for Mordecai's loss (both of those can work together) or am I supposed to be laughing at Jack making an rear end out of himself? Tragedy and Comedy need to be balanced rather precisely, and I'd say they flubbed it pretty bad there.

Well, the point is that Jack is supposed to be mocking your pain, further alienating himself from being a relatable character and cementing your disdain and hatred for him.
The problem is that his lines and the actor's delivery of them are so funny that you have a hard time not laughing at them, which makes you feel like a dick because you are SUPPOSED to be sad, right?
Except it's the death of some weird bat-winged bird that you don't really care about in the long run, so it's hard to feel sad about the death of a character that had no real depth or emotion anyway.
And then Jack swoops in and acts like such a dick with such FLAIR.

"Blake! Where's a godamn VIOLIN!" :jiggled:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Once Angel dies however, Jack drops his comical side and becomes deadly serious this is where he stops being wacky and more of a "dude not funny!" type of guy, granted you did kill his power source and daughter but, he's far more menacing from then on.

Or maybe he's just showing his true colours and his goofyness early on was just part of his act.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Judge Tesla posted:

Once Angel dies however, Jack drops his comical side and becomes deadly serious this is where he stops being wacky and more of a "dude not funny!" type of guy, granted you did kill his power source and daughter but, he's far more menacing from then on.

Or maybe he's just showing his true colours and his goofyness early on was just part of his act.

Apparently, at least according to Moxxi, the dude can be rather charming and personable, he's just a stone cold psychopath underneath the veneer and has absolutely no issues with wiping out all of humanity to achieve his desires.
On the flip side, if someone murdered my kid, I'd probably stop cracking jokes, too.
On the OTHER flip side, he was such a horrible monster that the kid also begged for death, so....

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Judge Tesla posted:

Except that's immediately followed up by two quests very clearly meant to be comedic (Kill Yourself and To Grandmother's House.)

Dooky Dingo posted:

Well, the point is that Jack is supposed to be mocking your pain, further alienating himself from being a relatable character and cementing your disdain and hatred for him.

Which is kind of my point; Gearbox just didn't do a very good job of keeping their tone consistent. It kind of feels like they had two teams, one working on the main story and one doing the comedy parts, and they didn't always communicate as well as they should have.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Keeshhound posted:

Except that's immediately followed up by two quests very clearly meant to be comedic (Kill Yourself and To Grandmother's House.)

Which is kind of my point; Gearbox just didn't do a very good job of keeping their tone consistent. It kind of feels like they had two teams, one working on the main story and one doing the comedy parts, and they didn't always communicate as well as they should have.

I wouldn't be surprised if the sidequests were written separately from the main quests, and that's why the placement of certain quests is so weird. You can take the sidequests at any time (or not ever) after all.

mycot fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Feb 1, 2015

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

mycot posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the sidequests were written separately from the main quests, and that's why the placement of certain quests is so weird. You can take the sidequests at any time (or not ever) after all.

Yeah, don't confuse proximity with correlation! :pseudo:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

The Grandma's house quest again is a perfect example of the "Dude, not funny" nature that Jack has, Humour is subjective of course but that quest made me laugh but also made me want to kill Jack even more.
What kind of dude would send his Grandma to live in the goddamn Eridium Blight right infront of an active volcano and pools of Eridium everywhere, that wacky Jack would!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
To be fair said grandma might quite well be responsible for at least half of his neuroses.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Basically, Jack manages to swing between being the funny rear end in a top hat you laugh at but want to punch anyway and a total monster who just needs to loving die in a painful manner. He starts out as the former and as the game goes on, he more and more turns into the latter. But both elements are there to some degree for almost the entire trip. Which is imo why he works so well as a villain.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I like Jack because he thinks that he is the good guy. He's a business man who originally saw an opportunity to make a crap ton of money and is now trying to "civilize" Pandora, but he has gone so far past the pale that he thinks that torturing his daughter and murdering civilians is the only way to do it properly

Plus he's hilarious. I liked his dialogue during the Bladewing fight the most because he knows that he has all of the cards in that encounter and is pure, unadulterated, sarcastic assshole. Although playing through that fight again with a guerilla commando pissed me off a bit. Bladewing needs to cycle through all of the elements before you can beat her and the turret missiles mixed with any elemental weapon just shreds her health, so I kept running into an invincible boss that would randomly regenerate and hoover up all of my bullets

Come to think of it, I had no trouble at all with the thresher that guards the beacon and gives everyone else grief either. Maybe guerilla commando is the new phase siren?

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

No, Jotsam, Kreslev, and I are seriously not joking whenever we say that Anarchy Mech is the strongest character in the game.
150 stacks of anarchy (or more if you so choose) and "close enough" with a suitable shotgun and you no longer have to aim, the bullets just HOME IN on an enemy and do ridiculous damage.
Combined with Deathtrap, arguably the strongest action ability out of the box, and some of the nice perks you can get along the way, you just become Death: Destroyer of Robots.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I have no doubt that the dlc character is the best, but I was talking vanilla BL2

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I've never played as Axton personally, man with turret just seemed like the most boring experience to me, see my earlier complaints about Roland in the thread, who was BL1's Man with Turret.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Oh, if we are talking vanilla BL2, then yeah, Commando is probably the "strongest".
Turret draws fire, has effectively unlimited ammo, can shield and heal players, does appreciable damage, etc. etc.
The next strongest MIGHT be gunzerker, but I really don't like that playstyle, so, for me, the second strongest is siren.
Interestingly, Jotsam has been considering switching over to commando instead of Zer0.
Because Zer0 just isn't fun to play. :colbert:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

I'd argue that Mania / Hellborn or Mania / Bloodlust Krieg are even stronger than Anarchy Gaige. Yeah, not having to aim and getting bonus weapon damage is nice, but Mania Krieg never dies. Get low on health, to the point the bar is flashing? Pop your action skill, transform into a giant mutant psycho, and immediately regain all your health! Also, said action skill is immediately recharged, thanks to Mania's final skill. Combine that with the skill that turns any damage greater than what was needed to kill an enemy into health for you, and you can become this unstoppable killing machine that is fueled by blood, fire, and explosions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFehJ_eCVFM

I made this forever ago, Mania / Hellborn spec with a quest reward shield that turns you into a running, screaming, perpetually-on-fire monster :allears:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Dooky Dingo posted:

Oh, if we are talking vanilla BL2, then yeah, Commando is probably the "strongest".
Turret draws fire, has effectively unlimited ammo, can shield and heal players, does appreciable damage, etc. etc.
The next strongest MIGHT be gunzerker, but I really don't like that playstyle, so, for me, the second strongest is siren.
Interestingly, Jotsam has been considering switching over to commando instead of Zer0.
Because Zer0 just isn't fun to play. :colbert:

Zer0 can be fun if you respec him for melee and get a melee boost shotgun, smg or pistol to run around with, otherwise he's boring and his action skill is 100% useless

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Judge Tesla posted:

I've never played as Axton personally, man with turret just seemed like the most boring experience to me, see my earlier complaints about Roland in the thread, who was BL1's Man with Turret.
I actually think I had the most fun playing as him, doing the middle tree. Teleport launch adds a whole new angle to using the turret and at level 30, well, it goes nuclear. Literally.
Now Gunzerker, I could never get into, never even saw the appeal of dual wielding.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

anilEhilated posted:

I actually think I had the most fun playing as him, doing the middle tree. Teleport launch adds a whole new angle to using the turret and at level 30, well, it goes nuclear. Literally.
Now Gunzerker, I could never get into, never even saw the appeal of dual wielding.

You don't see the appeal of dual wielding shotguns that become more accurate and shoot faster as you hold down the triggers and killing everything in front of you?

On top of that, you get essentially a full heal as soon as you pull out the second gun.

It's quite fun, you just walk into an encounter like normal, as soon as you take a couple of hits or there are a lot of enemies on-screen, you smash the action trigger and just melt everything in sight. It is crazy fun!

E. Though I do agree that Axton is incredibly powerful, but honestly I think just about every character can be horribly broken depending on skill selection/drops. Except Zer0. Cause he sucks.

Minister Robathan fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 2, 2015

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

T1g4h posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFehJ_eCVFM

I made this forever ago, Mania / Hellborn spec with a quest reward shield that turns you into a running, screaming, perpetually-on-fire monster :allears:

That sure is a giant pile of epilepsy you linked there. :staredog:

Also, you not picking up all those blues, purples, greens (and I think I saw an orange), makes my soul cringe.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Dooky Dingo posted:

That sure is a giant pile of epilepsy you linked there. :staredog:

Also, you not picking up all those blues, purples, greens (and I think I saw an orange), makes my soul cringe.

Yeah, 'spose I should have put a warning on there about that :v:

As for the loot, most of it was trash. The Oranges weren't even really great, those were basically the leftovers from me repeatedly running that mission to get tokens. I went back later and grabbed anything of decent value if that helps.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

All loot has value. :colbert:
Even if it's just to sell for cash to play the slots...

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

Dooky Dingo posted:

All loot has value. :colbert:
Even if it's just to sell for cash to play the slots...

Dingo, we all think you have a gambling problem and we're all worried about you. :ohdear:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

It's not a problem, I think I've got it pretty well figured out! :shepface::hf::v:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Dooky Dingo posted:

It's not a problem, I think I've got it pretty well figured out! :shepface::hf::v:

You gamble away your money, sell all the loot from gambling and then use that money to gamble again. It's not that complicated and you end up with a metric poo poo ton of eridium

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 3, 2015

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

The Door Frame posted:

You gamble away your money, sell all the loot from gambling and then use that money to gamble again. It's not that complicated and you end up with a metric poo poo ton of eridium

This guy gets it. :homebrew:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

The Door Frame posted:

Then you gamble all the Eridium away at the slots in Tiny Tina's DLC!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012
I really enjoy Zero. He just is NOT meant to be a sniper like they try to make you think. His special is very much meant to be used at fairly close range and not as the weird 'hey your special lets you see the weakpoints on enemies....SHOOT THE HEAD ITS ALWAYS THE GODDAMNED HEAD!' and with his action skill I've had fun jumping up and assassinating buzzards out of the sky and rakks....and everything. Melee guns are nice. I will admit that he has a lot less fun things you can do with him though since I only enjoy him melee and sniper rifles usually aren't the right answer to a encounter the way the game sets them up.

As for loot.......I know I have a problem. I played fallout 4 and went to the grocery store that has bandits in it. I cleared it out of people then went back to town over 10 times selling EVERY SINGLE TIN CAN. I sold everything of value in the first 3 trips. Then filled my inventory with things that sold for 1 cap over and over until I couldn't find anything else in the area. I MUST LOOT.

• Locked thread