Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Dingo plays exactly like I do, namely, check every vending machine ever while spending ages selling loot :v:

Also, I wouldn't really call Lilith well written. She's far too damsel-y to be a strong, well written female character. Though, that being said, she's got some pretty great lines and quests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Late game spoiler territory, but...

I'm referring specifically to when she gets captured by Jack and, go figure, you have to go save her despite her apparently being some amazingly super powerful face melting magic badass? Maybe it's just me, but they make her out to be this awesome space wizard mercenary because she's a Siren, and then she ends up being taken hostage and used for ~*~evil nefarious purposes~*~ by the big baddy. Because plot.

It just felt particularly cliche to me :shrug:

Admittedly, she has her strong badass moments, but overall, it felt like she and the rest of the original Vault Hunters were made out to be complete and utter chumps in BL2. Except for Brick, because Brick is always amazing :allears:

e: I think the reason it bugs me so much is because she's shown to be capable of warping an entire floating city by focusing her powers, and they build her up into this super cool badass, and then... taken hostage by some dork in a mask. Just... goddamn Gearbox. It's not nearly as bad as Roland inexplicably getting one-shot in a world where you have shields that launch acid spikes and explode in a ball of flame when they run out, but it's still pretty cheesy. Don't hover over any of this if you care remotely about the BL2 story, by the way. All of those spoilers are blatant story ruiners.

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 10, 2015

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

King Vidiot posted:

Well, she was taken specifically because she was a Siren, to replace the Siren you killed earlier. And you don't save her so she'll fall in love with you, you do it to stop Handsome Jack's Douchey Plan and rescue an ally. She doesn't sacrifice herself or beg you to kill her, so she's not "fridged" either... I don't know, being in trouble and a woman doesn't automatically make a character a damsel.

As for why all Sirens are women and Magical Healers... that's a whole other crazy tangent.

I know why she was taken hostage, and i'm not expecting some hamfisted romance plot. My entire reason for considering it a "damsel in distress" thing is because they took this ultra badass female character and put her in the typical "OH MAN, THE PRETTY MAIN FEMALE LEAD DONE GOT CAPTURED, YOU GOTTA GO SAVE HER BRO" scenario. She can melt faces and teleport cities, but she somehow gets taken hostage and has to be rescued. It's a bit silly and it is literally the textbook definition of Damseling.

"The damsel in distress or persecuted maiden is a classic theme in world literature, art, film and video games. She is usually a beautiful young woman placed in a dire predicament by a villain or monster and who requires a hero to achieve her rescue."

Don't get me wrong, I still love the hell out of the game and Gearbox did an amazing job with certain pieces of the story, especially in some of the DLC. That specific bit though? That entire section was pretty ridiculous in the overall plot.

e: I guess what i'm getting at is, she's not a bad character, and I do like her in BL2, she's just shoehorned into a particularly stupid bit of plot and it completely kills a ton of character building they do with her.

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 10, 2015

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

If you played Hunter and didn't go full Tresspass in BL1, I don't know what you were doing. 100% chance for all rounds to ignore shields? :getin:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Yeah, but Bloodwing killing everything wasn't nearly as fun as getting the Bessie and just one shotting everything by going full Sniper tree :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Judge Tesla posted:

It's almost like Gearbox heard people talking about Bloodwing being overpowered because she gets blown up by Jack in a hilariously cruel way, Jack's the kinda guy who makes you go "Ha ha haaaa that's not really funny and is kinda hosed up"

Yeah, but I have to say, they did a pretty decent job writing him as a villain. Like, not only is he a massive dick, he's a funny, smarmy motherfucker at times. See: Anything to do with Butt Stallion :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I always liked the Dahl sniper rifles. If you got a good roll and got the foregrip for stability along with Dahl Barrel and stock for reduced recoil, they were super accurate and it was not at all difficult to get a consistent all-headshot burst. Plus, the Pitchfork Legendary on a Sniper specced Zer0 with one of the ammo regenning class mods would let you solo Terramorphous without any issue. I got to the point where I could melt him fairly quickly using a Dahl based setup :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Yeah, that's why you keep a shotgun or, even better, Dahl SMG on hand for close quarters stuff. I'm a Dahl fanboy, I love their burst accuracy and they're great fun to play with. That, and their various camos just look so drat good :allears:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Funny thing about Krieg is, he's more effective with Torgue than Bandit gear. Mainly because Bandit guns are super gimmicky and not really very good compared to most other manufacturers, whereas Torgue stuff plays off his one skill that boosts his explosive damage. About the only reason to use Bandit stuff is if you get a decent Bandit AR with either a normal or Spinnygun barrel, in which case you can just hose everything down nonstop with tons of bullets. That, or if you luck out and snag a Sawbar. The Sawbar is loving rad :allears:

The really sad thing re: his Hellborn tree is that they actually reduced the amount of ranting he does. He used to never stop shouting, now it's kinda rare to hear him :(

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I still love how insanely powerful Krieg gets if you go full Mania and then full Hellborn. You end up just running around smashing things in the face with your giant axe while being constantly on fire and screaming rants at your enemies. Stuff is constantly exploding, dying, or burning and it turns the game into this gorgeous display of chaos and various effects, it's the best :allears:

So yeah, I'm totally in agreement with the "Just make the player feel super powerful" line of thinking, because drat it's satisfying to become a one man axe wielding deathgod. Really relaxing too :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Judge Tesla posted:

First time I went into UVHM, Captain Flynt handed me my rear end quite a few times, enemy scaling is totally out of control in that difficulty.

Did you slag him? UVHM is stupid in that it relies exclusively on slagging your opponents first, otherwise you won't do sweet fuckall for damage. Unless Flynt is one of those unslaggable enemies they threw in for the added "gently caress you" bonus. I can't remember which enemies are immune to it, but there's some in UVHM that are.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Judge Tesla posted:

Oh yeah I was playing as Maya and had Phaselock specced so it slagged Flynt upon hitting him, it just was the insane damage he and his backup throws out is what was getting me.

Ah, yeah, fair enough then. Once you hit TVHM and UVHM you really kinda have to build for survivability and specific specs. It's a bit of a shame, because it means it's a bit harder to do really goofy stuff :(

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I'd argue that Mania / Hellborn or Mania / Bloodlust Krieg are even stronger than Anarchy Gaige. Yeah, not having to aim and getting bonus weapon damage is nice, but Mania Krieg never dies. Get low on health, to the point the bar is flashing? Pop your action skill, transform into a giant mutant psycho, and immediately regain all your health! Also, said action skill is immediately recharged, thanks to Mania's final skill. Combine that with the skill that turns any damage greater than what was needed to kill an enemy into health for you, and you can become this unstoppable killing machine that is fueled by blood, fire, and explosions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFehJ_eCVFM

I made this forever ago, Mania / Hellborn spec with a quest reward shield that turns you into a running, screaming, perpetually-on-fire monster :allears:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Dooky Dingo posted:

That sure is a giant pile of epilepsy you linked there. :staredog:

Also, you not picking up all those blues, purples, greens (and I think I saw an orange), makes my soul cringe.

Yeah, 'spose I should have put a warning on there about that :v:

As for the loot, most of it was trash. The Oranges weren't even really great, those were basically the leftovers from me repeatedly running that mission to get tokens. I went back later and grabbed anything of decent value if that helps.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Encumbrance is the bane of my existence in Skyrim and Fallout. I need all of those pelts, damnit! And ores! And like every single weapon I can find because I can sell them all later.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Judge Tesla posted:

Excuse me, excuse me, selling weapons and armour is highly frowned upon, you must keep one of every weapon and armour piece, only then can you start selling.

Oh believe me, I do. I get player homes with mannequins and display racks for all the uniques and super high end gear I come across, and usually keep at least one of everything else in certain chests.

One of the best New Vegas mods (that was never finished and was really buggy, unfortunately) redesigned the Lucky 38 with massive display racks for every vanilla weapon, so you could show off your walls of guns. Mods that let me display my gear collections are great :3:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Man, I forgot how gorgeous some of the areas in the DLC could be. Hayter's Folly is a legitimately pretty level.

e: Also, damnit Jotsam has a Vladof sniper yet never actually uses it fully auto :negative:

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 7, 2015

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I'm still here, just echoing Chaeden's sentiment of not having much to say. The videos are awesome as ever, definitely looking forward to the Torgue DLC though :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

The lovely drop rates are why I am not the slightest bit ashamed to use Cheat Engine to adjust them whenever I play. The PC thread in the Games forum even has a Cheat Engine script in the OP so you can make them more like Borderlands 1 drop rates, which is something I can't recommend enough.

• Locked thread