Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I've got two issues with the way Gearbox implemented story in this game:

1. There's some serious thematic/timing issues with the comedy vs drama bits, and
2. NPCs :stare:ing at you. It's creepy as poo poo when ANY of the npcs look dead at the camera with their soulless eye textures. Roland is really bad about this, especially in his introduction. :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Judge Tesla posted:

Also, at least characters actually have animations in BL2, the NPC's might as well have been made out of stone in 1 since nobody had any sort of facial animation, hence the masks, a big feature of General Knoxx's DLC was facial animations, Scooter and Athena were the first NPC's who's lips moved during real time speech.

Honestly, I think the lack of animations made BL1 less creepy; in BL2 all the extra touches just pile together into this freaky uncanny valley effect.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I'll give Gearbox credit where it's due; I don't think there's a single female character in any of the Borderlands games that really skeeved me out. I do object to Lilith's capture, but that's more because it feels like writer fiat rather than a real loss (see also, Wilhelm loosing to give you a trapped power core; I can't be the only one who saw that coming.) All in all, I'd say she's as solid a character as everyone else in the game.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Sort of on the topic of story, it's really loving annoying that characters talking will override audio logs and there's no way to replay them. I mean, the game came out in 2012, and they still didn't account for that in some way?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Using a siren for health regen is sacrilege. Firebug, all day every day. :supaburn:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Dooky Dingo posted:

Also, say what you will about the evils of corporate greed, I would much rather live in Opportunity than Sanctuary. The slot machines throw live grenades at you! :gibs:

That's kind of a false binary though; there's no real reason why you should have to put up with fascism and propaganda or hyperlibertarianism just to be safe, even on Pandora.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Yeah, Gaige seems to be the only person with a "normal" upbringing. But Pandora's the kind of place that only attracts a certain kind of person, and that person isn't usually the most stable individual in a given space.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 17, 2015

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Little known biblical fact; had the murder of every first-born son of Egypt not been enough to sway pharaoh, Yahweh was prepared to unleash an eleventh plague of "drop Dooky Dingo in there and see how long they could manage with him stealing all of their poo poo."

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
The boss fight against Jack himself right before the final boss was one I actually enjoyed immensely, and was disapointed that it didn't go on longer. There's a place for bullet sponge bosses, but it certainly wouldn't have hurt to have a few more bosses that relied on being hard to hit, rather than having a mountain of hitpoints.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
"Ihopeyoulikeguitarshredding!"

:rock:

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 26, 2015

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

anilEhilated posted:

"This is a song for Mordecai's stupid bird, in E."
Okay, that's a bit of a low blow, but overly theatrical not very effective does seem to describe his plans pretty drat well. He's just not that smart.

That part threw me, because the tone's just all over the place. Like, am I supposed to be sad that Bloodwing died, or am I supposed to be feeling sympathy for Mordecai's loss (both of those can work together) or am I supposed to be laughing at Jack making an rear end out of himself? Tragedy and Comedy need to be balanced rather precisely, and I'd say they flubbed it pretty bad there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Judge Tesla posted:

Once Angel dies however, Jack drops his comical side and becomes deadly serious this is where he stops being wacky and more of a "dude not funny!" type of guy, granted you did kill his power source and daughter but, he's far more menacing from then on.

Or maybe he's just showing his true colours and his goofyness early on was just part of his act.

Except that's immediately followed up by two quests very clearly meant to be comedic (Kill Yourself and To Grandmother's House.)

Dooky Dingo posted:

Well, the point is that Jack is supposed to be mocking your pain, further alienating himself from being a relatable character and cementing your disdain and hatred for him.

Which is kind of my point; Gearbox just didn't do a very good job of keeping their tone consistent. It kind of feels like they had two teams, one working on the main story and one doing the comedy parts, and they didn't always communicate as well as they should have.

• Locked thread