Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

Greetings, everyone, and welcome to Let's Play Borderlands 2: GOTY Edition

:siren::siren::siren:
Who are you? What the heck is a "Grizzled Beagle"?
I'm long time lurker, Dooky Dingo, and, at the urgings of some folk, I have joined forces with a few of my friends, Kreslev and Jotsam, to bring you, good goons, FREE ENTERTAINMENT!
As for the "Grizzled Beagle" thing? Well, it's just easier to have a conglomerate name for us instead of our individual names. Just here to bring some content to you fine folk.

Okay, I'll bite. What is this?
I'm glad you asked! Borderlands 2 is a very popular FPS in the "Shoot and Loot" category, meaning that your character is constantly on the quest to find shinier toys that make bigger numbers pop out of enemy heads. It's also a lot of fun.
That's where we come in. Every week, we will release a new video starring our plucky protagonists as they clear the world of life and loot, and, hopefully, provide some funny commentary while it happens.
We aren't professionals and we aren't taking this too seriously. You shouldn't either. If you are looking for an informative LP, this ain't it. However, we do hope that you enjoy your stay.

Sounds good, when do new videos come out?
Wednesdays and Fridays probably

Okay... Well, how long is this going to last?
Until the very end, INCLUDING DLC. :getin:

I don't really think you guys are funny/good at video games.
Valid opinion. Counter-opinion: :fuckoff:

Will there be any kind of audience participation?
Absolutely! You guys shoot us some suggestions for my siren build and I'll do that. Also, please let us know if there are certain special things/areas/45 minute slot machine videos you'd like to see.

Spoilers?
It's an old(ish) game and there have already been a bunch of LP's.
Honestly? I don't particularly care that much. Go hog wild. :c00lbutt:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you like what you see here, and you want to get a face full of some MORE Grizzled Beagle stuff, come check out our Dark Souls thread going on RIGHT NOW!
:ducksiren:CLICK HERE, JERKS.:ducksiren:

:siren::siren::siren:
Alright, goons. With that out of the way...
Come suffer with us... :unsmigghh:
:pcgaming:LATEST VIDEO HERE:pcgaming:

Episode 30: Conflict avoidance techniques

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chapter List
Chapter 1: This was a terrible decision...
Chapter 2: Liar's Berg(er)
Chapter 3: Captain Flynt's Flying Circus
Chapter 4: Sanctuary
Chapter 5: The Happy Pig Motel
Chapter 6: The Firehawk
Chapter 7: FrostBURN Canyon
Chapter 8: Matchstick
Chapter 9: The Dust
Chapter 10: Bloodshot Stronghold
Chapter 11: Varkids and Mutants and Robots, Oh My!
Chapter 12: Wilhelm scream
Chapter ??: Corrupted File
Chapter 13: Scarlett's pirate :butt: (part 2)
Episode 14: A fistful of booty
Chapter 15: The curious case of the unending DLC
Episode 16: Pirate and Pervert-palooza!
Chapter 17: some boat stuff
Episode 18: So long and thanks for all the booty!
Episode 19: In search of Sanctuary
Episode 20: The Great Train Heist
Episode 21: Clan War
Episode 22: Caustic Cake
Episode 23: Smoke threshers, get Highland
Episode 24: Exploitive Deleted
Episode 25: The back of the Fridge
Episode 26: It's really more like a couple hundred cuts at MOST...
Episode 27: Prepare to get... TORGUED
Episode 28: Much ado about racing
Episode 29: Schrodinger's Rapist
Episode 30: Conflict avoidance techniques

Intermission 1: Isolated incident :frogsiren:LOUD:frogsiren:
Intermission 2: GET MONEY! GET MONEY!
Intermission 3: Not so isolated.
Intermission 4: Orion: Prelude: The Game: The video
Intermission 5: Only half a life
Intermission 6: The 69 boat
Intermission 7: A Dingo Holiday

Dooky Dingo fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jul 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Reserved for stuff and/or things.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Genocyber posted:

e: None of you chose Krieg, you guys suck.
You're assuming that it will only be the three of us for this ride... :smugbert:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

poochiepoo posted:

Is the video really choppy/laggy at some points or is it just me? Like at the point when you entered the village for the first time.
It's probably stuttering in the recording process because BL2 has a tendency to load quite a bit all at once, including pretty detailed textures on the settings that Jotsam uses. Normally, to reduce that, you would set the recording software to have processor priority, like what I tried to do in the videos that I record, but it's hard on the processor and the results can vary quite a bit.
Sorry for any loss of quality, all of us run pretty out-dated machines.
You don't even want to know what my game looks like. :suicide:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Doc Morbid posted:

Borderlands 2, Dooky Dingo's PC edition:

I really wish that wasn't as accurate as it is. :(

Doc Morbid posted:

I should probably give co-op a shot, but since I'm on PC I don't have any of my friends to play with. :saddowns: Especially since there's no splitscreen in the PC version.

Hey, feel free to join the Steam group! Since a bunch of the goons on there just bought BL2 GOTY edition, there's a bunch of people playing these days.
Also, we might be having some special guests join us for some of the videos, since this is going to be such a long LP. :ssh:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

:siren::ducksiren:NEW VIDEO DAY!:ducksiren::siren:
Episode 2: Liar's Berg(er)

As promised, here is episode 2. Enjoy, goons!

fake edit: It's important to mention that we have determined what the issue is for the video lag. The bad news is that we have recorded next weeks videos already, as most of us will be away from computer in the coming week.
In short, video lag will be a thing until after video 4, then it will clear up. Thanks for your continued patience. :cheers:

Dooky Dingo fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 26, 2014

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

:siren::ducksiren:New Video Day!:ducksiren::siren:
Episode 3: Captain Flynt's Flying Circus

Happy New Year, Goons!

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Chapter 4: Sanctuary

azren posted:

Well, this thread inspired me to buy this game. GOTY edition is :10bux: on steam for another 2 1/2 hours or so.
Normally, here I would say that this is usually the greatest compliment an LP'er can receive. However, 3 things:
1. This game is great enough that you wouldn't really need our help to decide to buy it.
2. The game is on super sale, ATM, so, again, it doesn't really need our help.
3. I've only been in half of the videos so far. :downs:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Chapter 5: The Happy Pig Motel

Now with ACTUAL Dingo! And LASERS! :science:
Also, Soop, too, or whatever.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Chaeden posted:

e-tech guns aren't terrible. THAT e-tech gun is horrible though. (my psycho uses a e-tech fire sniper. Its bullets bounce when I miss.)
I got back into playing this a bit due to you guys playing. I'm not sure if I should play my psycho with you though. Playing with Darrark a bit and despite getting my friendly fire damage down to only 30% I think you guys would still cream me on accident. If not you then Worthington because Darrark's death trap killed me ATLEAST once when he wanted to kill the guy on the other side of me that I was stabbing.

You just need to play with a siren who has that "shoot to heal you" perk. Damage + Healing = Profit!
Also, Worthington will eventually kill all of us, regardless of class.
Worthington hungers.

Manuel Calavera posted:

I finally installed this (after picking it up for cheap) thanks to you nerds.
I've said it before, but seeing stuff like this is the greatest compliment you can give an LP'er. :cheers:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Cernunnos posted:

I'm pretty sure the Freindly Fire perk for Psychos overrides the Sirens healing bullets.

I'm not sure until I test it, but this forums thread seems to indicate that the healing actually takes precedence and Release The Beast doesn't get activated.
http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=280972

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

"Settled Down" isn't quite what I would call it...

Roland formed the Crimson Raiders as a resistance movement against Jack literally murdering everyone with his robots and has been on the brink of death pretty much since the end of BL1.
Brick has become a notorious bandit leader, amassing a sizable gang that he uses to fight Jack and other bandits.
Lilith has set herself up as a demi-god to scare idiots into leaving Roland alone so he can fight Jack. (As well as occasionally trying to get into Roland's pants)
Mordecai has become a hermit, sitting atop his mountain throne and raining death upon all within his fiefdom like the Crimson King. O Discordia. Also, he was married to Moxxi for a while or something.
All the other returning characters are really just caught up in the same struggle as these, and you get the definite impression that they are a group of disheveled rebels on the very brink of annihilation.
They USED to be murder-hobos, now they are murder-moguls, leading armies to slaughter against a man with seemingly endless resources and a penchant for cruelty and devious plans.

In comparison, Borderlands 1 has as much story as the back of a cereal box.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Keeshhound posted:

2. NPCs :stare:ing at you. It's creepy as poo poo when ANY of the npcs look dead at the camera with their soulless eye textures. Roland is really bad about this, especially in his introduction. :gonk:

Nah, they just stare like that because of the, presumably, enormous amounts of STUFF that has to be absolutely caking you every where you go.
Blood, hydraulic fluid, skag juice, spiderant vitriol, whatever the hell is inside Rakk, explosives residue, eridium, the list goes on and on.

You are literally giant walking rainbows of carnage and death and they just don't want you to come any closer than you have to...

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Chapter 6: The Firehawk

Here's a question for you goons:
Do you think that Lilith is a well-written female character? Or is she just more spank-bait for mouth breathing fan-boys?
Please adequately defend your response or Jotsam will make some kind of infographic to put in the next video to shame and humiliate you. :pseudo:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

T1g4h posted:

Also, I wouldn't really call Lilith well written. She's far too damsel-y to be a strong, well written female character. Though, that being said, she's got some pretty great lines and quests.

Can you give me a more concrete definition of "damsel-y" and some examples? I'm not necessarily disagreeing, I just don't usually associate "Damsel in Distress" with "Hey Roland, I just melted a guys face, isn't that AWESOME?!*"

*this is an actual line of dialogue.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Guys, I really don't care about spoilers. This game is several years old and these forums have already done one LP of this game, so knock off the CIA documents and just talk like regular people.

As for the "damsel" thing, I don't think that's really fair.
Yes, granted, she is a beautiful woman who has been captured and needs rescuing, but she needs rescuing because Handsome Jack has specifically trained and created technology to trap and contain sirens, not because she is powerless.
At the beginning of the game, we also rescue Roland. Does that make him "Damsel-y"? Why not? Just because he has a dick? Lilith isn't human, can you prove she DOESN'T have a dick?
I guess what I'm saying is that I never got the "damsel in distress" vibe from Lilith.
Angel, on the other hand, is another story.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Judge Tesla posted:

Roland is the worst character, in that he even starts off captured and got grabbed in a stupid way to start with, then everyone talks about how great a leader is and he gets punked by Jack, it's kinda hilarious when it happens too.

I think, in this instance, Roland suffers from the same fate that Worf does on Star Trek: TNG.
Namely, you are supposed to accept that he is this ultra-badass and can just crack skulls at will, so they use him as a standard to judge the relative strength of the bad guy, in this case Jack, by how easily he beats him.
The problem, though, is that Roland and Worf both got their butts handed to them on such a regular basis that you began having a hard time believing that either one of them was ever actually any good at fighting at all.
All bark, no bite, effectively.

I still liked playing as commando during BL1 because I enjoyed the class mod that let the whole team regen ammo. v:v:v

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Judge Tesla posted:

I'll give you that one, one of the guys I used to play with was there just for the ammo regen, he spent most fights crouched in a corner behind his turret, he didn't need to fight because I played as Lilith and another dude was Brick, so we kinda cleaned house.

All you need is soldier for ammo and siren for health regen and the game becomes easy mode.
Or, you can just play Hunter, beef up bloodwing and never have to shoot your gun again.
(Jotsam did this on every playthrough and it was beautiful and terrible to behold.)

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

T1g4h posted:

If you played Hunter and didn't go full Tresspass in BL1, I don't know what you were doing. 100% chance for all rounds to ignore shields? :getin:

Nope, he went down the Rogue tree.
By the end, Bloodwing was so overpowered that none of us could last more than a second with him in PvP. He would just send out that stupid bird and murder us instantly.
Also, he could hide behind cover and send out bloodwing and it would clear out entire areas. It was even more overpowered than Worthington because the movement speed was much greater and the bird would also bring back items.
It was literally an "I Win" button. Also, if you got the gem thing that infused Bloodwing with shock, it wouldn't matter if they had shields or not. :black101:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Judge Tesla posted:

It's almost like Gearbox heard people talking about Bloodwing being overpowered because she gets blown up by Jack in a hilariously cruel way, Jack's the kinda guy who makes you go "Ha ha haaaa that's not really funny and is kinda hosed up"

That actually made me kind of sad when it happened to me the first time. :smith:
Bloodwing is just an animal, but is probably the closest thing to a best friend that Mordecai has. Jack abducts her, experiments on her and then brainwashes her to follow his bidding.
All while, at the very end, Jack intends to have you fight her, probably beat her and then execute her as gruesomely as possible right in front of you.
It's probably the closest Borderlands gets to actual puppy murder, and it just tips Jack over the line for me from "Douchebag" to "rear end in a top hat who will die slowly".

T1g4h posted:

Yeah, but I have to say, they did a pretty decent job writing him as a villain. Like, not only is he a massive dick, he's a funny, smarmy motherfucker at times. See: Anything to do with Butt Stallion :v:

See above, but he does make a very compelling villain. He doesn't really directly confront you for the majority of the game, but does a great job of menacing you, reminding you of why you are doing what you are doing and being a memorable character all at the same time.
Another example of this would be Vaas from FarCry 3, though, well... that situation has it's own problems that is best reserved for a different LP.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Judge Tesla posted:

It's even meaner as said woman was Helena Pierce, a quest-giver and leader of New Haven from BL1, but she was rather a bland character so I didn't miss her much. :v:

Yeah, see, that's the thing.
If she had died from a skag attack or bullymongs or something, we would just shrug it off as "Eh, Pandora is a dangerous place."
But, because Jack is such a dick already and has been taunting us, we use the death of a person I couldn't have told you the name of before the audio log as justification for wanting Jack's head on a pike.
I don't disagree, it's just really strange... :shepface:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

kaosdrachen posted:

You don't blame a skag or a bullymong for being a ravenous omnicidal critter.

Jack, on the other hand, is theoretically a sentient being who chooses to be consistently and completely horrible to absolutely everyone he interacts with.
But wasn't Jack horribly disfigured in an accident, which is why he has to wear the mask, possibly leading to a life where he feels he has to be terrible/sociopathic in order to create a reality where stuff like that doesn't happen any more?

I think we can all agree that his motives (get rich, get rid of criminals, try to create an idyllic place for people, geez the guy might as well dress up in black and call himself Batman.) aren't necessarily wrong, it's the actions that are spawned from them.

He WOULD be a walking argument for "The Ends Justify The Means", except Gearbox wrote him so that he is also casually cruel and generally unsympathetic and you just want to punch him in the face.

Is Jack a "Straw-Man"? DO the ends sometimes justify the means, but by representing that position with a person who is insurmountably repellent, causes players to want to shy away from that view?

Except, in the course of the game, you murder WAAAAY more people than Jack ever did, including guys working for Hyperion who are, ostensibly, just doing their jobs! So... WTF, Gearbox? What are you trying to tell us? :tinfoil:

Actually, it's just a game and they made a fun character. That's it. That's the depth of the game.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Judge Tesla posted:

Dameon Clarke voiced him, and to most people he's the voice actor of Cell from Dragonball.

Holy crap, that is some "Gary Oldman" levels of acting versatility, there. :staredog:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Drachir D Nalem posted:

Never watched Dragonball, how different is his voice in that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB45FE6y_wg

I linked one to imperfect Cell, but upon further examination, it is perfect cell who is the same voice. Link is fixed now.
Not quite as impressive, but still...

Dooky Dingo fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 12, 2015

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Chapter 8: FrostBURN Canyon

This weeks special guest is Darrark.
It goes about as well as you'd expect.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Also, yes, we are aware of the weird video cropping glitch and the buzzing audio.
Jotsam is starting to have a few computer issues, so fingers crossed that it isn't the LP curse.
Unfortunately, as we record two videos at a time, Friday's video will probably have the same problems, but next weeks videos will be fine.
Thank you for your love and understanding. :tipshat:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Yes, Borderlands 2 does a great job with separate bio-spheres and the appropriate wild-life between them.
If you notice, most of the "nice" areas are places where Hyperion touched down and started settling, so the question then becomes did Pandora always have those places and we just never saw them in our hunt for the vault in BL1, or is Hyperion in the process of terra-forming the planet and the "civilized" areas are just farther along in the process?

Also, say what you will about the evils of corporate greed, I would much rather live in Opportunity than Sanctuary. The slot machines throw live grenades at you! :gibs:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Keeshhound posted:

That's kind of a false binary though; there's no real reason why you should have to put up with fascism and propaganda or hyperlibertarianism just to be safe, even on Pandora.

It's a bit of social darwin-ism, I'm afraid. The only groups with the fire-power and the will to use it are corporate fascists or literally insane murderous criminals.
Pandora, just like the real world, is based upon a power structure. Money, weapons, logistics, they all account for power. Everyone either wants to control everyone else or have complete anarchy, but no one trusts anyone else to help them create it.
In essence, the only people who are still left standing at this point are the people who are powerful enough to continue existing, they just happen to also be bug-nuts. Which really leads me to my next point.
All systems, no matter how carefully thought out or constructed, will eventually crumble into chaos, however, so this entire endeavor is relatively fleeting.
Such is life. O DISCORDIA

Do you think this will be the end of Pandora after this is over? Or will life find a way?

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

syzpid posted:

How are you guys getting so many Loot Goliaths?
I have absolutely no idea! Zipthar smiles upon us! :pray::worship:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Chapter 9: Matchstick

Today, we ritualistically sacrifice a midget to a false god we helped create! Excitement!

Continued special guest: Darrark

Video cropping and audio buzzing still exist in this video, next weeks will be fixed.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

mycot posted:

Tales from the Borderlands actually makes reference to this; at one point a Pandoran says "Atlas was bad, but Hyperion was worse".

Yeah, I'll take militant humans over soul-less killing machines any day of the week.
Which begs an interesting question: is there a GOOD option in the Universe for people to live? Or is it all just Crimson Lance and Hyperion and Atlas wars everywhere?

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Glazius posted:

Ostension is the act of showing or presenting something, often to serve as an example.

This is an ostensive sentence.

Of course it was kind of a crap ostensive sentence but I can't resist doing that.

"Ostensibly" means basically "as it was presented or shown". You expected to find Matchstick's corpse down there because that's the direction the game showed it falling.

Often it's used to contrast a more hidden truth: Matchstick's corpse was not actually down there; it was only ostensibly down there.

And now that I've given everybody the image of a Borderlands illustrated dictionary, my job is done here.

Well, almost. Is my video player just wonky or have you taken the top left corner of the screen and left off most of the HUD? I kind of like the HUD.

Thank you, I'm going to take this as justification for my point.
Dingo's: 1 Athetits: 0

Also, there was a recording error for this session, meaning both the Wednesday and Friday videos got messed up.
However, this error has been fixed, as well as the buzzing audio in future videos.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Judge Tesla posted:

I don't think you understand Borderlands, fights are just there to distract you between opening hundreds of crates, if you don't open every single crate on Pandora in each playthrough, you should immediately uninstall the game forever, or if you are on the console version, snap the disk in half.

This person gets it.

Also, if Jotsam doesn't open and loot all the containers I WILL. :choco:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

HisMajestyBOB posted:

If, say, Jotsam beat everyone else to every chest, would he get all the money and ammo, or is it distributed among other players, too?

ammo, money and eridium are distributed evenly to each player.
Grenades, weapons and, I believe, health are not.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Hello Sailor posted:

Oh, I'm not disputing the necessity of opening every crate you encounter. Just that maybe it could wait until the enemies in the area are dead or that more of the mid-combat crate opening responsibility could be handled by players who aren't doing the recording.

I was completely serious when I said it was my fault.
I am the whirlwind. I am the thousand reaching hands. I am utter darkness and desolation in a dry land.
I will come swiftly and I will take everything.
There can be no respite, there will be no hesitation.
You cannot stop me, you can only try to outrun me.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Keeshhound posted:

Little known biblical fact; had the murder of every first-born son of Egypt not been enough to sway pharaoh, Yahweh was prepared to unleash an eleventh plague of "drop Dooky Dingo in there and see how long they could manage with him stealing all of their poo poo."
I'm a dingo.
All of the babies went missing.
NOW DO YOU SEE?

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Mr. Soop posted:

Considering how old you are, I say this checks out. :smug:

Tough talk from someone who bakes brownies in their spare time, Suzie Homemaker.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Judge Tesla posted:

Gearbox really needs to make bosses that aren't giant bullet sponges, the raid bosses, while fun, are just bullet sponges and 1 hit kills, which is not so fun.

Jotsam and I were just talking about this, actually.
You see, we agree with you, most definitely, but what are the alternatives?
There are "gimmick" fights, similar to the Dodongo in OoT that you have to feed bombs, but people complain about gimmick bosses and blah blah blah.
Since your party, and even just you to a certain extent, will almost certainly be over-leveled for the quest your doing simply by virtue of doing the other quests, the bosses can't have reduced health or damage because then you would just steam roll them.
People complain about bosses that consist of too many smaller enemies.
You want your boss to have that "epic" feel, but how do you accomplish that without a drawn-out battle?

I honestly can't blame them for their design decisions, honestly, simply because it's the only path that makes logical sense, encourages replayability and necessitates teamwork.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for boss design that would be better?

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

DFlux posted:

And yeah giving bosses weak points besides Shoot it in the Head would help a lot.

Scorch in Frostburn Canyon doesn't have a head weakness.
His weak point is his butt. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Chapter 9: The Dust

Today, we meet Ellie, the most attractive character in the entire Borderlands franchise. If your name is Mr. Soop. :getin:

• Locked thread