Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
If you asked me what my favourite game series was, I'd say Borderlands, I've put so many hours into Borderlands 1 and 2, they may not be the best in graphics, the randomness of the loot drops can be rage inducing at times but it keeps on giving, it never gives up, and always tries to please you, with dubstep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Kobanya posted:

My college schedule has pretty much always left me with horrendous three/four hour blocks until my next class, so I actually do spend most of my time in the library, watching LPs.

I'm enjoying the LP, but I really do hope we get to ditch Claptrap soon. His voice is more annoying than I remember from the first game.

While you don't hear his voice constantly like in Borderlands 1, he's a main character now, so he's always there, until the end of the game!

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Yapping Eevee posted:

I believe that they did patch the drop rate at some point, but it took far too long. Haven't tried playing it again since, so I don't know whether things work any better in practice.

The DLC is... Well, one of them is definitely worthwhile. And I suppose you might not understand who some side characters in the Pre-Sequel are without two of the others, but... Honestly, there's just the one I would recommend. Assault on Dragon Keep actually has plot relevance as a bonus to being awesome.

Of course, your enjoyment of Dragon's Keep is based upon of how much you like Tiny Tina as a character.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah, everyone felt The Destroyer was a terrible end boss in BL1, even Gearbox agrees with the amount of times they reference it in BL2, the end game of BL2 is FAR better than BL1 though, and you even get better loot, sometimes.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

People mostly just cheese bosses in Borderlands, as in finding a spot on the map where the boss either can't touch you, or you can avoid its attacks very easily, but I'll agree though, bullet sponge bosses are just boring, especially in the higher levels of UVHM where it's a goddamn nightmare. (loving Leviathon in Captain Scarlet's DLC is the worst)

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Hopefully Gearbox get off their butts and release either the Pre-Sequal or Borderlands 2 on PS4, one of my regrets about my faithful PS3 dying was not being able to play this game anymore, although Tales from the Borderlands is on New Gen systems, it's just not the same!

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Funny thing about Mordecai, while he did date Moxxi for a time, she dumped his rear end for Jack almost the instant his smug face arrived on the scene, just like when Lilith and Roland dated, that didn't last very long because Lilith is a weird, awkward person and Roland was Mister Boring back in Borderlands 1, and he still is in 2!

Also, at least characters actually have animations in BL2, the NPC's might as well have been made out of stone in 1 since nobody had any sort of facial animation, hence the masks, a big feature of General Knoxx's DLC was facial animations, Scooter and Athena were the first NPC's who's lips moved during real time speech.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Dooky Dingo posted:

:siren::ducksiren:NEW VIDEO DAY!:ducksiren::siren:

Chapter 6: The Firehawk

Here's a question for you goons:
Do you think that Lilith is a well-written female character? Or is she just more spank-bait for mouth breathing fan-boys?
Please adequately defend your response or Jotsam will make some kind of infographic to put in the next video to shame and humiliate you. :pseudo:

I like Lilith as a character, she's not as spank baity as Moxxi but, Moxxi's entire shtick is that she's a walking sex object/symbol, everything out of her mouth is an innuendo and she herself encourages everyone to drool over her. :v:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

The only reason Lilith even got captured was because Handsome Jack knew exactly how to deal with Sirens, his own daughter was one, Angel warned her not to come but she ignored her and did, then Jack got her with that neck collar thing after he killed Roland, even then she wasn't exactly yelling for a rescue, more to "kill me if you can't save me so rear end in a top hat Jack won't abuse my god powers".

Roland is the worst character, in that he even starts off captured and got grabbed in a stupid way to start with, then everyone talks about how great a leader is and he gets punked by Jack, it's kinda hilarious when it happens too.

Roland, you sucked in Borderlands 1, were the most boring character to play as, you shall not be missed!

EDIT: Being a Siren is also why Maya has the highest bounty (before Gaige came along) and unlike the other characters, Jack is dead serious in her audio logs when Angel mentions this.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Dooky Dingo posted:

I still liked playing as commando during BL1 because I enjoyed the class mod that let the whole team regen ammo. v:v:v

I'll give you that one, one of the guys I used to play with was there just for the ammo regen, he spent most fights crouched in a corner behind his turret, he didn't need to fight because I played as Lilith and another dude was Brick, so we kinda cleaned house.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Well by the time of the 4th DLC and final patch for BL1, you could basically have every major talent in every tree, it capped at 69 (hurr).

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

T1g4h posted:

Yeah, but Bloodwing killing everything wasn't nearly as fun as getting the Bessie and just one shotting everything by going full Sniper tree :v:

It's almost like Gearbox heard people talking about Bloodwing being overpowered because she gets blown up by Jack in a hilariously cruel way, Jack's the kinda guy who makes you go "Ha ha haaaa that's not really funny and is kinda hosed up"

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I'm sour to Roland because a good 80% of players in Borderlands 1 were Roland and most of them were terrible at the game, I remember joining public matches and seeing 3 other Rolands and the warcry of "A Siren, oh my god!" would soon follow.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

He had me at the whole "making a woman recount a horrible experience and then shooting her in the head and making light of the fact that he just shot her in the head" bit. Up until then he was just kind of annoying dick who seemed to want me dead for some reason, possibly related to greed and dickishness.

It's even meaner as said woman was Helena Pierce, a quest-giver and leader of New Haven from BL1, but she was rather a bland character so I didn't miss her much. :v:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

The razing of New Haven is treated like a massive terrible atrocity, but I've been to New Haven, it was a shithole, it was literally Mudcity surrounded by giant piles of garbage and sewage, but it was the "Hub-town" of Borderlands 1 so I guess you were supposed to feel bad it was wrecked but, sorry Gearbox, the place was a dump.

Fyrestone was a decent place but once Doctor Ned left for New Haven it was a pure ghost town, not a single soul to be found there.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

Props to Jack's voice actor, too. He really sells the smug monstrous rear end in a top hat.

Dameon Clarke voiced him, and to most people he's the voice actor of Cell from Dragonball.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I like the contrast between locations from BL1 and 2, 1 was mostly desert areas with scrapyards and such thrown in, while 2 is more diverse with snow, grassy plains and such, it still has its barren wastelands of course, but it's not 80% of the area like in the first.

Hell, the final Headhunter pack adds a tropical beach resort with palm trees.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

The Crimson Lance were supposedly in control of a lot of Pandora's areas during 1, the 10 seconds of plot we got towards the end mentioned people in Sanctuary being forced to pay tribute (Protection money) to them, I guess those areas would have been relatively safe but once General Knoxx died and the Atlas Corporation was dismantled by Hyperion, the areas under their control fell apart.

You'll notice that the Badass Bandits wear Crimson Lance gear, which is pretty much what happened to the ones not killed by the Vault Hunters or joined Roland and the Crimson Raiders.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

DFlux posted:

From what we got from Gaige's story the Good option for living is not in the Borderlands. If you live on the innerworlds where their are actual governments and places of order you do pretty alright. Its just the borderlands that are rampant poo poo.

Then again, Gaige did piss an insanely powerful person off by accidently killing his daughter due to Deathtrap shenanigans and having an eye watering 800 million bounty placed on her, that's higher than Maya's bounty and she's a Siren!

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Hello Sailor posted:

It'd be nice if the guy doing the video recording didn't miss half the action to loot containers.

I don't think you understand Borderlands, fights are just there to distract you between opening hundreds of crates, if you don't open every single crate on Pandora in each playthrough, you should immediately uninstall the game forever, or if you are on the console version, snap the disk in half.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

There's also more enemies in Co-Op and 4 players has the maximum amount of enemies and difficulty, loot does despawn if left alone for too long but you really have to be sitting on your hands for this to happen.

In later areas, opening crates mid battle can sometimes save your butts if you run low on ammo, one of the bosses, Bun3eR even has vending machines in his fight since he takes forever to kill, even with corrosive weapons and the knowledge that you can safely sit by said machines and he'll never hurt you.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Gearbox really needs to make bosses that aren't giant bullet sponges, the raid bosses, while fun, are just bullet sponges and 1 hit kills, which is not so fun.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

The Headhunter DLC's have cool bosses and are a little more involved than the main game's lot, the Pumpkin King from the first Headhunter pack for example requires you to clear the area of little dudes who attack you, and kill specific mobs before they climb onto the big guy and heal him.

Then there's the giant Turkey boss from the 2nd pack, it's Torgue themed so is of course, awesome! :torgue:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I hope you'll eventually be using the guns that talk later on, especially The Bane or the Hyperion Sniper that insults you when you fire it.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Side note: Borderlands 2, the Pre-sequel and all DLC released for them is coming to the New Gen consoles next month, so I shall once more bring the joys of :torgue: to the world!

And about favourite weapon types, I'm quite partial to Maliwan weapons, give Lilith a Maliwan SMG with a fire mod in BL1 and you practically won the game, it's not too much different here if you give Maya, or anyone one.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I'm pretty sure Handsome Jack himself designed most of Hyperion's tech since he came to power, which is also probably why the robots feel pain and have obvious weak spots, he's just that kinda guy.
He's also the one responsible for Hyperion guns having terrible corporate styled names because who's gonna argue against him and live?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Opportunity is a great area, it has the best Jack audio logs, the best one is Jack talking to the cities builders, he tells them thanks for building this city, but get the gently caress out of here because you aren't good enough to live here, but here's some binoculars so you can look at it from a distance.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

You can totally feel super powerful but then you get those times when (say, when you're undergeared/underleveled) and you just get stomped over and over through things that are beyond your control.

First time I went into UVHM, Captain Flynt handed me my rear end quite a few times, enemy scaling is totally out of control in that difficulty.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

T1g4h posted:

Did you slag him? UVHM is stupid in that it relies exclusively on slagging your opponents first, otherwise you won't do sweet fuckall for damage. Unless Flynt is one of those unslaggable enemies they threw in for the added "gently caress you" bonus. I can't remember which enemies are immune to it, but there's some in UVHM that are.

Oh yeah I was playing as Maya and had Phaselock specced so it slagged Flynt upon hitting him, it just was the insane damage he and his backup throws out is what was getting me.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

A few steps to go until Tiny Tina is unleashed on the LP, for the record while I do like her, I can also see why a lot of people don't, she's awfully polarizing.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Dooky Dingo posted:

I think my major complaint about her is that she is such obvious fan-bait.
Her dialogue is written tight and interesting, she is set up as a sympathetic character who appears awesome in their own respect and she is, most importantly, entertaining.
However, the entire package just comes off a little janky to me. I guess I've just seen to much deviantart involving her to really allow me to like her as a character...

Here's a fun fact, Fleshstick is voiced by none other than Dragonball superstar Krillin, and also Ussop from the Funimation One Piece dub.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Dooky Dingo posted:

My God... Of course...
IT'S ANIMES ALL THE WAY DOWN. :kheldragar:

And to add to the pile., Torgue himself is voiced by MISTER SATAN himself, which makes him the best character.

Seriously, half the modern DBZ cast is in Borderlands 2, most of the VA's do work for Funimation.

Judge Tesla fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 29, 2015

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Dooky Dingo posted:

Real talk, tho:
When I die, I want my memoirs read by Patrick Warburton.

He voices Vasquez in Tales from the Borderlands, and is one of the guys trying to fill Handsome Jack's boots in Hyperion after his death.

Judge Tesla fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 30, 2015

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I know it was part of Jack's scheme but Wilhelm seriously went down like a total chump, it was one of the major complaints about the game, every person you meet tells you Wilhelm is a massive threat, the guy even defeated the characters from BL1 single handedly and razed New Haven but here, he goes down in moments.

As I've said, I know the plot reasons as to why and I accept it, but I can't help but feel disappointed all the same.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

You are actually heading towards one of the more annoying sections of the game, the Gluttonous Thresher fight, I don't think anyone in the history of the game liked that fight, Threshers are annoying pieces of poo poo normally but the big guy has a really fast recharging shield and is rather powerful for the levels the typical player will reach him at.

Badass Pyro Threshers are the WORST enemy type in the entire game as well, they are right up there with the Witch Doctors from Hammerlocks DLC.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Once Angel dies however, Jack drops his comical side and becomes deadly serious this is where he stops being wacky and more of a "dude not funny!" type of guy, granted you did kill his power source and daughter but, he's far more menacing from then on.

Or maybe he's just showing his true colours and his goofyness early on was just part of his act.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

The Grandma's house quest again is a perfect example of the "Dude, not funny" nature that Jack has, Humour is subjective of course but that quest made me laugh but also made me want to kill Jack even more.
What kind of dude would send his Grandma to live in the goddamn Eridium Blight right infront of an active volcano and pools of Eridium everywhere, that wacky Jack would!

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I've never played as Axton personally, man with turret just seemed like the most boring experience to me, see my earlier complaints about Roland in the thread, who was BL1's Man with Turret.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

The Door Frame posted:

You gamble away your money, sell all the loot from gambling and then use that money to gamble again. It's not that complicated and you end up with a metric poo poo ton of eridium

Then you gamble all the Eridium away at the slots in Tiny Tina's DLC!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

T1g4h posted:

Encumbrance is the bane of my existence in Skyrim and Fallout. I need all of those pelts, damnit! And ores! And like every single weapon I can find because I can sell them all later.

Excuse me, excuse me, selling weapons and armour is highly frowned upon, you must keep one of every weapon and armour piece, only then can you start selling.

• Locked thread