Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Borderlands is my favorite space western. It just works a lot of concepts right, with stuff like the intergalactic corporate robber barons and the trigger-happy Space Rednecks with energy shields. There's really a feeling that there's a highly advanced space faring civilization out there and you're just on the assend of it.

mycot fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
See this is why some people let Lilith kill Jack in the end.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

kaosdrachen posted:

Jack is excellently written in that almost literally everything you hear him say or do makes throughout the entire game you want to punch him more.

And the beautiful thing is, the further you explore the game (through side quests, the optional logs, etc.) you just find more and more cases of Jack being a dick.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

King Vidiot posted:

He had me at the whole "making a woman recount a horrible experience and then shooting her in the head and making light of the fact that he just shot her in the head" bit. Up until then he was just kind of annoying dick who seemed to want me dead for some reason, possibly related to greed and dickishness.

It's appropriate that those logs are the one of the first things in the entire game, because they set up his personality so well. "Oh Wilhelm, kill these savages."

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Dooky Dingo posted:

I think we can all agree that his motives (get rich, get rid of criminals, try to create an idyllic place for people, geez the guy might as well dress up in black and call himself Batman.) aren't necessarily wrong, it's the actions that are spawned from them.

He WOULD be a walking argument for "The Ends Justify The Means", except Gearbox wrote him so that he is also casually cruel and generally unsympathetic and you just want to punch him in the face.

Is Jack a "Straw-Man"? DO the ends sometimes justify the means, but by representing that position with a person who is insurmountably repellent, causes players to want to shy away from that view?

Except, in the course of the game, you murder WAAAAY more people than Jack ever did, including guys working for Hyperion who are, ostensibly, just doing their jobs! So... WTF, Gearbox? What are you trying to tell us? :tinfoil:

Actually, it's just a game and they made a fun character. That's it. That's the depth of the game.

I always thought that Jack took the concept of a villain being better/sympathetic just because they had "good reasons" for their poo poo and turned it on its head. What he's trying to do technically isn't wrong, but that doesn't mean he's not a horrible person.

mycot fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 13, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Judge Tesla posted:

The Crimson Lance were supposedly in control of a lot of Pandora's areas during 1, the 10 seconds of plot we got towards the end mentioned people in Sanctuary being forced to pay tribute (Protection money) to them, I guess those areas would have been relatively safe but once General Knoxx died and the Atlas Corporation was dismantled by Hyperion, the areas under their control fell apart.

You'll notice that the Badass Bandits wear Crimson Lance gear, which is pretty much what happened to the ones not killed by the Vault Hunters or joined Roland and the Crimson Raiders.

Tales from the Borderlands actually makes reference to this; at one point a Pandoran says "Atlas was bad, but Hyperion was worse".

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I heard a theory that the hilarious amount of overlap is because Funimation and Gearbox are both based in Texas, so they just end up hiring them out of convenience (no need to fly in actors if they're already going to be there, after all).

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Judge Tesla posted:

He voices Vasquez in Tales from the Borderlands, and is one of the guys trying to fill Handsome Jack's boots in Hyperion after his death.

I wonder if it's just a rule for Hyperion to have the best voice actors.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Keeshhound posted:

Except that's immediately followed up by two quests very clearly meant to be comedic (Kill Yourself and To Grandmother's House.)

Which is kind of my point; Gearbox just didn't do a very good job of keeping their tone consistent. It kind of feels like they had two teams, one working on the main story and one doing the comedy parts, and they didn't always communicate as well as they should have.

I wouldn't be surprised if the sidequests were written separately from the main quests, and that's why the placement of certain quests is so weird. You can take the sidequests at any time (or not ever) after all.

mycot fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Feb 1, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Judge Tesla posted:

Herbert is probably the creepiest character in the game, an insane stalker who has dozens of pictures of Scarlett, in various poses, stuffed toys of her, recordings of her snoring and also pieces of her underwear.
Knowing Gearbox, he probably represents the part of the fanbase who wants to see the female cast naked or something. :v:

I think Gearbox just likes the obsessed stalker gag. There's Nakayama (for Jack), and even the Atlas Lilith shrine easter egg in the first game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Welcome back!

• Locked thread