Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

My Imaginary GF posted:

Solution: A shitload of hard work, organizing, and increased amounts of money in politics.

Our system isn't broken. The agents within the system are not the most representative of the nation on issues of policy. Fortunately, the system has mechanisms for self-correction built in and will remain stable far into the future.

I do think its necessary to identify the dynamics which have reduced rates of class mobility over the lifecourse in America, and discuss specific policies that may be promoted to increase rates of capital accumulation through the lifespan.
What role does increased money in politics play in fixing the our current wealth gap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

My Imaginary GF posted:

The cost/benefit of social program spending does not favor increasing allocations in order to win elections until the average cost per race is several times current levels, at a minimum.

Why raise taxes to spend money on social programs? Much easier to win election by taking more money to lower taxes and offsetting those cuts with elimination of social programs. Simply, support of those programs is not an effective method to lower the price per vote versus the marginal utility of increased fundraising ability from socially regressive policy positions.

So how does more money in politics ever lead to lower price per votes for populist policy? Specifically in a society where the wealth gap is as high as our own?

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

My Imaginary GF posted:

Because every policy position has costs associated with it in terms of votes. More money in politics increasing return on populist policy positions which directly and visibly benefit lower classes. While these currently take the form of regressive tax structures, general demographic trends make those policies unsustainable: you can't cut taxes for someone who you've made tax exempt.

You are gonna have to spell it out for me. By more money in politics you are talking about money supporting populist policy? Where does that money come from and how could it compete with established sources of campaign revenue? What about demographic trends suggests that plutocratic policies are unsustainable? Current trends show that the ultra-wealthy will continue to amass their wealth at higher than market rates.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

My Imaginary GF posted:

It doesn't compete, it lowers the amount of capital a campaign is required to raise in order to be competitive. Increase of contribution limits incentivizes maintainance of a few, highly lucrative interests over a broad subset of general interests. More money, less individuals whom you need to please, more options for innovative policy positions which lower price per vote while also raising necessary capital to be competitive.

You realize that this is a garbage answer right? The problem isn't the number of people that Congress needs to please, it is the interests which congress is beholden to. Increasing contribution limits only allows for more spending among the people who have already been spending money. Senators only needing one major donor doesn't necessarily lead to reforms, in fact I don't see how things would be different at all. It certainly wouldn't lower the amount of capital that a campaign needs to raise, how does that make any sense at all?

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
lmfao if you seriously don't believe that the US has a ruling class.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
It's not that it's only impractical, it's also insufficient.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

My Imaginary GF posted:

loving internet marxists, don't kill the rich, invent creative ways to increase their effective rate of taxation through novel and actionable policy solutions.

Sound and fury.
E: you never explained how fewer campaign donors leads to economic reforms or how increasing campaign donation caps leads to less capital required to run an election.

Miltank fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Dec 26, 2014

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

My Imaginary GF posted:

That's such a lazy and uncreative way to develop policy. loving christ, this thread is full of stereotypical leftists and lacks any appropriate sense of moderation and work ethic to effect policy implementation.

Fewer donors = less donors to appease
Increased contribution limits = increased donations through official channels and increased ability to generate leads

It's sound and fury because no loving duh, that is the whole point of this thread- ways to tax capital out from under the ultra-wealthy. All the work ethic in the world isn't going to implement such policy without some sort of plan of action.

A small number of campaign financiers to appease leads to economic reform how? That makes no sense.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

TheImmigrant posted:

Global median per-capita income is just under $3000. How many of you would be willing, as zero-sumbEJWs, to give up meat, cars, and other trappings of First-World lifestyle to live like the global working class and poor?

The First World may have to take a reduction in quality of life but it wouldn't put us anywhere near the level of the global third world, especially as birth rates decline. The median global income is obviously a retarded number to use for the point you are making. A better number to look at might be a theoretical distribution of global capital which is currently sitting at around $34,000 per person.

Miltank fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 26, 2014

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

SedanChair posted:

In my experience the "equality of opportunity vs. equality of outcome" trope is code for "minorities will squander welfare because of their inferior culture." I'm sure you would disclaim this.

Please don't do this here. Equality of opportunity vs. equality of outcome is hardly a dog whistle for Christ's sake. Just play it out, the thread is young.

E:^ it is that.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

SedanChair posted:

Gosh I would feel self-conscious about declaring a favorite right-wing trope to be "not a dog whistle." After all, the point of a dog whistle is that not everyone can hear it. And some folks pick it up and blow it without knowing what it is.

One can always count on appalled, David Brooks-esque liberals to provide cover for these racist ideologies through sheer ignorance.

Equality of opportunity vs. equality of outcome wasn't invented by conservatism. If ideological concepts are tools then this is one which can serve as a dog whistle, but that is certainly not it's only function. If we are discussing ways to create a radically egalitarian society, then questions of opportunity vs. outcome are not out of place or suspicious.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
citizens holding more than a certain level of wealth will have their assets seized equal to a fairly estimated lifetime of taxation upon expatriation.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

My Imaginary GF posted:

Also get IRS the tools of CIA with the oversight of NSA and the budget of DEA.

I would switch careers to IRS SWAT team Member.

e: I want to be in the corporate tax gestapo

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Seems like locking some guy up in solitary for twenty years is more hosed up than giving some dude a lashing. I was friends with a girl from KSA in a com class who gave a persuasive speech about why corporal and disfiguring punishment is good and I gotta say that she made a strong case.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

maybe the problem is how expensive university is and not that kids want to go to university?

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

SedanChair posted:

It's both. Some people just aren't meant to be supported in their delusion that they are intellectuals.

Undergraduate education seems like a good place to figure that out.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

TheImmigrant posted:

That's what the education industry wants you to think. "Come drop tens of thousands of dollars a year to figure out what you want to be when you grow up."

what if going to school was a good thing and having to pay 100k to do so was the bad thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

SedanChair posted:

This was tried with busing, whites reconfigured society to escape it. If you try to force them with more drastic means, they'll commit acts of terrorism.

Busing mainly effected the working poor who still lived in cities. The middle class had already left for the suburbs by the late sixties.

• Locked thread