Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Neither is unilaterally revoking their US Passports when they're on yet another business-class flight abroad, and barring them from entry in perpetuity.

We could also make rich people wear some sort of star on their clothes, to indicate their status.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

They already wear clothes that indicate their status, so that will not be necessary.

Problem: tech billionaires dress like homeless people

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Does the trust gain? Then the trust gets taxed. Easy peasy.

As long as the world is relatively stable, the rich have the ability to shop for the best jurisdiction for a trust. You need to start a bunch of wars that cause capital to flee to safety. I'm sure if you arrange it with China, they would be willing to play ball with a war that eventually leaves them with control of some islands in the pacific they've had their eye on and some choice parts of Africa.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Sure, if they're willing to never set foot in the US again, or never do business with any bank that wants to do business with the US, or live in a country with an extradition treaty with the US, they can find ways of moving money around without the IRS finding out and demanding that a US citizen pay for tax evasion/fraud.

There's nothing illegal about putting money into a trust. And if you do make it illegal, the people who benefit from the trust (children) aren't the ones breaking the law.

If you have a large enough fortune, your goal is to protect the principle, paying out a small trickle of money to your descendants and keeping the trust far enough away from them to protect the trust from court judgements. Trusts are fine paying taxes on disbursement to beneficiaries, so long as the much larger principle and trust income are kept safe from taxes.

As an example, you put $100 million in trust, and earn $6 million in interest income. You only pay a couple thousand in administrative fees to the board, and distribute 100k/year each to your children. Maybe they declare and pay taxes on the money, but the amount compared to the trust income is very low, and everybody will know how much they are "actually" worth, even if their income is low.

on the left fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Dec 25, 2014

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Upon election, all officials have their entire estates liquidated and invested in government bonds. Elected officials draw a salary equal to the median income of the district they represent. After they're no longer in office, they are subjected to 10+ years of strict financial oversight to ensure that no after the fact "contributions" happen, and they ineligible for positions at companies/corporations that benefited to an extreme degree from any actions made while serving, and they are bared for life from serving on the board of any for-profit organization.

Take the financial incentives out of being a politician, and we'd see a lot of poo poo clean up pretty quick.

Solution: Be Mormon and orchestrate backroom deals with trusted members of the Church and your very large extended family. Urban liberals will be strongly discouraged from seeking office since politics will disadvantage their means of providing for retirement and a comfortable life when unable to work.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

In my left hand there is the guillotine, and in my right hand there is a bill for a global wealth tax. Do not let that bill fall out of my right hand.

One day, the system will finally push too far and the people like me are going to loving murder every single man, woman, and child in the group people like me don't like. --Crazy people who should get mental help

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

No, I'm pretty sure if there's a violent revolution, I will be in the first couple of waves of people guillotined. I am sorry you cannot appreciate situational humor. Might be the wrong medium for you, comedy forums.

Many people unironically believe there will be a great day of reckoning where undesirables are killed off. Neither race war, or a bloody proletarian revolution are coming.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

DBlanK posted:

Free Speech and Free Market should be able to course correct everything.
This of course means we actually need free speech and a free market, which we do not have.

To accomplish, we must reclaim the public airwaves, so that the resource of mass communication is distributed in a free and fair manner. This of course will require human driven filtering systems, that allow ideas, products, and politicians to be promoted based on their actual merits, rather then finance driven propaganda. Education and investigation would also need to be elements of the filtering system, as well as reasonable levels of proxy so that we can continue to have divisions of labor where necessary. In addition we might need to convert all corporations to non-profits and or bcorps, to prevent social hacking of the new communication systems.

So you are saying you essentially want to expand the concept of Reddit to all mass communication, and possibly into childhood education?

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

DBlanK posted:

Reddit uses a simple up or down vote to determine popularity of a post?
And is there any sort of filtering mechanism for who you get posts from, or what type of posts?

The communication system I am proposing is loosely based on the concept of sociocracy.
The long and short is you have circles/cells/hubs that connect together.
Each circle nominates a rep, and reps form a pseudo spokescouncil.
You can also have virtual circles based on trust/popularity.

A person makes a proposal (action/idea, product/politician endorsement)
It is presented to the people you know and trust. With the empathetic connection to give a poo poo about what you are saying.
Together you decide if its worth passing on. If so, it goes up to the hub, and back out.
The process repeats, filtering and facilitating grass roots viral spread.

It seems like the end result is that popular, good-looking, and successful people would effectively run society, which brings you back to the original problem of how to avoid a class system.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

This, and also the fact that, as with any "pure democracy" proposals, citizens will need to actually be engaged in the political process and have a clear understanding of the multitude of issues that relate to them either directly or indirectly.

This form of sociocracy is even worse than direct democracy because you have a feedback loop where the most popular viewpoint is given more media exposure, which in turn will make it more popular, even if only temporarily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

Qublai Qhan posted:

I'm not really sure there's a (good) way to get rid of the phenomenon of people getting a piece of paper that helps them get jobs that have nothing to do with that piece of paper. Employers are presumably benefiting in some way from requiring people get their BA in basket weaving before they're allowed the privilege of being paid $15-$25 an hour to:
A) play with spreadsheets or
B) make phone calls to clients on the exciting subject of spreadsheets or
C) make sure people are playing with their spreadsheets or making phone calls about spreadsheets instead of looking at kitties and/or titties on reddit

Schools screen out a lot of the kind of people you don't want to hire. Schools are allowed to use practically any metric for admission, and then the school puts them through 4 years of coursework. This screening and subsequent ranking is incredibly useful for corporate recruiting.

• Locked thread