Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Winning with 8 over 4, we're starting off in Bluebell. The cows will flow.

Many more things to vote on will come in the thread, so be on the lookout!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Word on the Wind
May 23, 2014
Bluebell or Moohell?

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

This part and the next part were short enough that I probably could have put them together like with Dodongo's Cavern, but whatever.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Not a word all of last week, huh? Harvest Moon can't be that interesting.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
We were all in awe over the majesty of King Zora and I was playing Majora's Mask 3DS because mine came a few days early so forgot to comment. :v:

Zora's Domain is a cool area on paper but, it's literally just a cave with some Zora's in it, like Goron City was a cave with some Gorons in it, the tropical music really clashes with the scenery.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Judge Tesla posted:

We were all in awe over the majesty of King Zora and I was playing Majora's Mask 3DS because mine came a few days early so forgot to comment. :v:

Zora's Domain is a cool area on paper but, it's literally just a cave with some Zora's in it, like Goron City was a cave with some Gorons in it, the tropical music really clashes with the scenery.

drat, I have to wait till March to get MM3D. Also, Jabu Jabu's Belly is...Strange. Why does he groan when you stab the walls...Which you WILL do, because of things.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
Those aren't "uvulas" by the way. They're electrified tentacles. You know, from the boss. The thing wrecking that fish's insides and making him sick.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Cheez posted:

Those aren't "uvulas" by the way. They're electrified tentacles. You know, from the boss. The thing wrecking that fish's insides and making him sick.

Perhaps we should have said :v: out loud?

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Your joke sucked, live with it.

Bluemage142
Jun 22, 2009

A little logic in the right place can cause chaos without limit.
I always figured the tentacles were basically really large worms infesting the big fish's body. That way, Link is basically de-worming the royal pet... who is questionably sapient? Huh.

...never considered that they were part of the boss, but that makes sense in hindsight.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
There was also a Jabu Jabu dungeon in Oracle of Ages. They couldn't really capture the "stomach" aesthetic since, well, it was on the Game Boy, but at least the dungeon looks like a fish.
For comparison:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

drat, the 3DS version makes Jabu Jabu look even worse, with all the tendrils in the 'corridors'.

I was impressed by how you beat the octopus miniboss so quickly the 'fair' way. It's quite hard to chase it without running into the inner ring's spikes. The easy way is just stunning it, wait until it does its spinny thing, and stun it again, and it will have it's back toward you like 50% of the time.

MelvinBison posted:

There was also a Jabu Jabu dungeon in Oracle of Ages.

Ah, yes, I remember that. The game that tried to explain the design difference between the evil Zoras in Link to the Past (Zolas according to some translations), that popped up out of the water and shot stuff at you and the good Zoras in OoT by saying OoT Zoras are sea zoras and the LttP ones are river zoras. This doesn't even make sense, it's not like the OoT Zoras live in the sea.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 14, 2015

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

MelvinBison posted:

There was also a Jabu Jabu dungeon in Oracle of Ages. They couldn't really capture the "stomach" aesthetic since, well, it was on the Game Boy, but at least the dungeon looks like a fish.
For comparison:

gently caress this dungeon. I always hardwalled there for about 4 freaking hours because of the drat water level switches and the GOD drat MASSIVE AMOUNT OF KEYS THAT LEAD TO A CHEST WITH THE BOSS KEY. gently caress this place. Oracle of Ages was my favorite game, but the last two dungeons were annoying as hell.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Isn't that the same dungeon where you have to keep raising and lowering the water too?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
You, know I realize king zora is sitting his naked rear end on all the water flowing in from the lake. :stare:

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Drakenel posted:

You, know I realize king zora is sitting his naked rear end on all the water flowing in from the lake. :stare:

To be fair... Even if he wasn't naked the water will still touch his naked rear end. Clothes sort of mean nothing to water.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug

Drakenel posted:

The Zora are credited with the invention of the bidet.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
You have to look at the wider picture: it's still better than Kakariko's well being built over catacombs full of undead horrors.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
...That too.

Man, there a compelling argument somewhere that the contaminated water everywhere accounts for a lot of the weirdness in hyrule.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Drakenel posted:

I've been sitting my naked rear end on this stream for the past 11 years! That's 300,000 liters a day; 2,100,000 liters a week; 109,200,000 liters a year! To date that's 1,201,200,000 liters, enough water to last the population of Hyrule for 5 straight years! That water passed through my rear end! You think you're better than me? Oh, you're not better than me. You handle my rear end water everyday.You water your crops with my rear end water. You drink my rear end water to live. You give my rear end water to your little daughter in the middle of the night when she asks for a glass of water!

You handle my rear end water every day! I'll laugh at you before you laugh at me!
Because your water has been in my rear end.
_______________________________________/

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

But when you think about it, any water that has fish in it has been touched by fish asses. The old man's fishing pond? There's like 40 fish asses in there. Maybe even 50.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Cheez posted:

But when you think about it, any water that has fish in it has been touched by fish asses. The old man's fishing pond? There's like 40 fish asses in there. Maybe even 50.

Yes, but those fishes can't walk up to you and tell you about it.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

I don't think King Zora can walk either.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Share your romanticized lovely game stories!

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
You didn't show off Zelda's reactions to all of the masks this isn't a true 100% LP at all!

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I played Ocarina of Time when I was a kid, like most, I don't have any real nostalgia for it so when I play it today I find it a little dull compared to more modern entries in the series.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

ThornBrain posted:

Share your romanticized lovely game stories!

I have a 32X. 1995 was a year full of regret and Cosmic Carnage.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

lovely game stories?

Well, like many people I chose games because they had nice box-art or I just got one as a birthday gift and my folks didn't know anything about them either.

The thing is, I got a few wordy RPG-like games and games were never translated to my language so I didn't understand a word of that foreign English crap and never got anywhere with those games and that sucked. True story.

---

Have I mentioned that I really like the way you've decided to show the lower screen? I've seen quite a few LPers hiding it completely when there's no action on that screen, but it's useful to just be able to see how many hearts you have and where you are on the map. It's also closer to playing the actual game. And having it in the corner there doesn't make it obnoxious either. So thanks for that.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I remember I had a friend as a kid who had the absolute worst taste in games. How bad? He had a SNES. He had Home Alone 1&2. He had Dragon's Lair.

He had Pitfighter.

If there was a terrible game available on the Super Nintendo, he probably owned it. I'm convinced he was single-handedly keeping LJN afloat at one point.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I actually never played any bad games as such when I was a kid, I started reading gaming magazines during the Super Nintendo era, I think the Official Nintendo UK magazine was my first one and this continued up to the Wii era where gaming magazines in general started vanishing slowly as the internet ended their relevance.

Saying this, I was the only person I knew who owned, and enjoyed playing Turok Evolution. :v:

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I had, played and really liked Boogerman, too. But bigger than that for me was Rocky Rodent, an Irem game on the SNES.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
I remember when Pizza Hut had this promo where they'd give you a demo version of Tony Hawk for the Playstation. It only had one course, maybe two, and the course was only 2 minutes long. Didn't stop me from playing it every chance I got for about 3 months.

I don't remember having a whole lot of lovely video games on consoles when I was younger off the top of my head, but I do remember that my sisters and I had a collection of extremely girly games when I was about 10 or so. Surprisingly, only two of them involved Barbie.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
As a kid, whenever I visited my maternal grandmother, I spent most of my time playing my cousin's NES that he kept at her house for some reason. There was a good assortment of games (Batman, Mega Man 4-6, Kirby's Adventure), but somehow the game we spent the most time on was Bible Adventures (my cousin also had King of Kings, but it never worked). I'm still sort of proud I managed to beat the Noah's Ark section.

Baby Moses can go gently caress himself though.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

To be fair, I have mostly heard that OOT was amazing. But never actually saw much of the actual game till now. I mean, I've seen Majora's Mask, and Windwaker. And I knew it involved stopping Ganon, and the Master Sword. But this being where Sheik even shows up and, everything else, this year is the year of the Zelda LP.
It's pretty groose, really.
And mentions of all the OOT references in Majora's Mask make a bit more sense now I've seen (some of) OOT.
Then again, never had a console so that may have contributed.

Can't think of any bad games I liked when I was a child to romanticise.
Not to say I didn't play any, mind you.

"One time, I had an Asthma Attack..."
Welp. how can I top that story.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Feb 22, 2015

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I found the talk about cultural osmosis interesting. I never had a console growing up, and all my friends also had home computers, so I wasn't exposed to Zelda at all, and Mario/DK/... only via the handheld Nintendo games (which I still have). I've also never completed one, and have no idea what big plot thing is coming, so thanks for not spoiling it outright!

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
My eyes lit up as I saw the last present wrapped for me. I knew what an NES looked like from friends at school inviting me over, but I'd never had one of my own. Until that day, when I tore off the wrapping paper and saw my very own NES with a copy of Mega Man 1. My parents had gotten me a second-hand console and copy of the game they found at a garage sale; the label was torn off of the game and it just said "MEGA MAN" in black marker, but I was happy all the same.

I sat down to play it, but something was wrong. How I know this when I had never seen the game before is irrelevant. When the game started up, the title text said "TURN BACK" instead of "MEGA MAN", and Megaman himself looked kind of uncertain, which really showed on the seven pixels he had for a face. I pressed the Start button and went to the stage select screen. There were six robot masters, who I will now list: CUT MAN, GUTS MAN, ELEC MAN, BOMB MAN, FIRE MAN, ICE MAN. I chose CUT MAN because I had heard from my uncle who worked at Nintendo that he was the best one to start with. Where I apparently know the point value was supposed to display, instead there was text saying "LEAVE BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE". What was really strange was that the letters looked like they were covered in realistic-looking blood. I probably should have stopped playing at that point, but CURIOSITY GOT THE BEST OF ME and I kept playing, and the game probably burned my house down or something.

I also fell down the stairs in my childhood home; they were ostensibly more dangerous than a regular staircase since they went around a corner, but somehow I was just a little dazed and went on with my day.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

frozentreasure posted:

My eyes lit up as I saw the last present wrapped for me. I knew what an NES looked like from friends at school inviting me over, but I'd never had one of my own. Until that day, when I tore off the wrapping paper and saw my very own NES with a copy of Mega Man 1. My parents had gotten me a second-hand console and copy of the game they found at a garage sale; the label was torn off of the game and it just said "MEGA MAN" in black marker, but I was happy all the same.

I sat down to play it, but something was wrong. How I know this when I had never seen the game before is irrelevant. When the game started up, the title text said "TURN BACK" instead of "MEGA MAN", and Megaman himself looked kind of uncertain, which really showed on the seven pixels he had for a face. I pressed the Start button and went to the stage select screen. There were six robot masters, who I will now list: CUT MAN, GUTS MAN, ELEC MAN, BOMB MAN, FIRE MAN, ICE MAN. I chose CUT MAN because I had heard from my uncle who worked at Nintendo that he was the best one to start with. Where I apparently know the point value was supposed to display, instead there was text saying "LEAVE BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE". What was really strange was that the letters looked like they were covered in realistic-looking blood. I probably should have stopped playing at that point, but CURIOSITY GOT THE BEST OF ME and I kept playing, and the game probably burned my house down or something.

I also fell down the stairs in my childhood home; they were ostensibly more dangerous than a regular staircase since they went around a corner, but somehow I was just a little dazed and went on with my day.

Nice stereotypical creepypasta there, you hit most of the Cliches!
Edit: Also, for some reason, I read that in YuriofWind's voice...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I didn't have video games as a kid, but my aunt got me a subscription to Nintendo power so I would "play" through the level maps in my head. I'm pretty sure it's responsible for some of my great spatial/visual memory, or maybe the reason I thought that was an obvious thing to do with the magazine was because I already had one.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Wanted Travis and Yoshi in on this particular part since it's important story advancement. I can shuffle commentators for the following parts now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I've never heard the Redead behavior described as eating the corpse; always as mourning it. I guess because in Majora's Mask Gibdos are shown to both still retain some measure of their prior humanity and be Redeads underneath the bandages.

e:
Check out them moves.

Miyamoto also stated in 'Iwata Asks' for OoT3D that Link is 9 as a child and 16 as an adult.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Mar 24, 2015

• Locked thread