Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Rigged Death Trap posted:

gently caress the timeline.
It's all separate worlds.

But several of the games mention the other games by name. Kinda hard to just ignore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Cartheon posted:

The can fix the mess of Hyrule Historia by just claiming the next Zelda game is a reboot of the entire franchise, starting the madness all over again.

That would be really dumb and would just end up alienating their fans though?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Cheez posted:

The only fans it'll alienate are the ones nobody wants to be associated with.

Yeah, no, there's actually a thing with something having a solid backstory having a bit better ground to stand on compared to something that is a complete blank slate. Besides, I don't really see what a reboot would give the series that it doesn't already have?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Considering no Zelda game uses that solid backstory to stand on and gives you all the information you need then and there in the game.
They were intended to be standalone but very loosely connected. Like two different plays using the same characters and props.

What does the series gain from being interconnected beyond fulfilling that quintessential nerd need to have everything have an in-universe explanation and for it all to fit together?

"I don't like it, so they should change it, because nobody will care if they change it" is your argument, but really, there isn't any incentive for Nintendo to actually go back now that they've made an official statement of how they are connected.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

Okay, lemme try snarking Rigged Death Trap's point and seeing if that helps.

'Obviously, knowing that Skyward Sword takes place during Minish Cap which itself is happening concurrently as Phantom Hourglass which oddly enough ends just seven minutes before Ocarina of Time begins helps improve the incredible Legend of Zelda series's cumulative quality tenfold. :smug:'

Crawfish posted:

Hyrule Historia was a revenue making way to attempt to get dumb nerds to stop asking about the official timeline and hopefully stop nerding out on this crap so much already. It didn't achieve the latter and it's far from stopping them from putting the next game in the series where ever the gently caress chronologically they feel like.

People seem to assume Nintendo thinks like they do, which I feel might not actually be the case. They probably didn't release a book on Zelda timelines to get nerds to stop nerding, but to get the average Joe to talk about it too and share in it to create a meta-myth of the series.

At the end of the day though, it really doesn't matter what we say in here, Nintendo is just going to keep doing the series as they want to and I have a hard time seeing a reboot being the way they go with it.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Cheez posted:

You say that, but Nintendo was getting really tired of people asking them about the Zelda timeline and telling them "there is no timeline" again and again.

You say that as if you work at Nintendo. Also, you are the nerd that complain about dodongo hates smoke. You are the type of nerd who would miss this poo poo.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Cartheon posted:

I was jesting. It was why I included the "starting the madness all over again" comment.

It got kinda hard to tell in here, but you're alright. :unsmith:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

MelvinBison posted:

If it hasn't been confirmed, the big theory is they're child soldiers from a messed-up time in Hyrule's history.

The actual explanation is that Stalfos aren't undead soldiers, but a race of people with their own children, all cursed with immortality.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I didn't realize people anywhere cared about loving updates schedules. I just watch threads when there is new poo poo to watch, I really don't care how often it updates as long as it entertains.

Don't mean to poo poo up this thread with a YouTube comment thing, but I read that and I just thought "really?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Glaive17 posted:

Were you talking about my post? If so, sorry, that's not what I meant by that. A lot of StrawhatNO! LPs are currently on hiatus, and I hadn't seen an update in any of their threads for a while, so I am genuinely happy that there were new videos!

I like these guys, I think they are really good LP'ers, and I would hate to see them lose interest or something and stop doing LP's. It has happened to other LP'ers before. :ohdear:

EDIT: Just noticed the YouTube comment part, nevermind. :downs:

Naw, I like you, you are respectful and stuff.

Just this guy on their youtube video commenting that SA has higher standards or whatever. I was under the idea that our standards were that we did not take it super seriously, but preferred high quality and always prioritized real life over the game.

Not the schedule for how often we update.

• Locked thread