Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

gently caress the timeline.
It's all separate worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Judge Tesla posted:

Lets hope the Mario Historia isn't next. :v:

All the Marios happen within the scope of a few days.
Mushrooms are known to distort the sensation of time.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jan 4, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mordaedil posted:

Yeah, no, there's actually a thing with something having a solid backstory having a bit better ground to stand on compared to something that is a complete blank slate. Besides, I don't really see what a reboot would give the series that it doesn't already have?

Considering no Zelda game uses that solid backstory to stand on and gives you all the information you need then and there in the game.
They were intended to be standalone but very loosely connected. Like two different plays using the same characters and props.

What does the series gain from being interconnected beyond fulfilling that quintessential nerd need to have everything have an in-universe explanation and for it all to fit together?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mordaedil posted:

"I don't like it, so they should change it, because nobody will care if they change it" is your argument, but really, there isn't any incentive for Nintendo to actually go back now that they've made an official statement of how they are connected.

It's not that I don't like it.
It serves no purpose, adds no extra flavor bar some trivia that does not matter within the scope of each game.
When no game in the series affects another's story what is the payoff from saying they are connected?

Not that Zelda games are some bastion of good writing, mind.

Wait no it did do something.
It sold a book.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mordaedil posted:

You say that as if you work at Nintendo. Also, you are the nerd that complain about dodongo hates smoke. You are the type of nerd who would miss this poo poo.

I could say the same about you, claiming Nintendo wants to cultivate the 'meta-myth' in public view.

Mordaedil posted:

People seem to assume Nintendo thinks like they do, which I feel might not actually be the case. They probably didn't release a book on Zelda timelines to get nerds to stop nerding, but to get the average Joe to talk about it too and share in it to create a meta-myth of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Drakenel posted:

You, know I realize king zora is sitting his naked rear end on all the water flowing in from the lake. :stare:

I've been sitting my naked rear end on this stream for the past 11 years! That's 300,000 liters a day; 2,100,000 liters a week; 109,200,000 liters a year! To date that's 1,201,200,000 liters, enough water to last the population of Hyrule for 5 straight years! That water passed through my rear end! You think you're better than me? Oh, you're not better than me. You handle my rear end water everyday.You water your crops with my rear end water. You drink my rear end water to live. You give my rear end water to your little daughter in the middle of the night when she asks for a glass of water!

You handle my rear end water every day! I'll laugh at you before you laugh at me!
Because your water has been in my rear end.
_______________________________________/

• Locked thread