Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Xelkelvos posted:

Lore about Digimon is about as relevant to the franchise as the lte about Pokemon and makes about as much sense

Indeed. All the mythology around Digimon implies a centralized setting, which there isn't. Each season just picks and choose what it cares about and invents however it likes. For instance Frontier invented the idea of the 3 great angels and the Warrior 10, but Yggdrasil is nowhere in sight because the X-Evolution period that brought Yggdrasil into the series mythology and said it directed the Royal Knights came after Frontier. The official profiles and lore information are fun to read and speculate on but they're often far removed from any other digimon media. They're generally as relevant as the official Pokedex entries, just more bombastic.

Astro Nut posted:

So out of curiosity, anyone know why the different languages of Digimon are treated on Netflix as separate 'shows'? Its because of actual changes to the content and editing in the dub, rather than just being, well, a dub as you would get today?

I figure it's somewhere between "The dubs are to a greater or lesser extent edited" and stupidity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

TFRazorsaw posted:

I don't blame you considering fairly prominent people like JesuOtaku still perpetuate that myth.

And to be fair Digimon Adventure almost feels like a 13 episode series that got extended early in production, to the point I had actually speculated that it was originally supposed to be 13 episodes entirely on my own initiative. The pacing is such that with some editing and an altered ending you'd never know it was only the first arc of a longer show.

As for the thorny subject of Xros Wars and Young Hunters I have the extremely wrong opinion that both were bad shows but I enjoyed Young Hunters more. The stars aligned over Xros Wars, its setting, story, cast, and writing in such a way that I can't even rationally explain why it leaves me so completely cold (before you ask no, it wasn't DigiXrossing. I thought Xrossing was a pretty cool idea that needed more fleshing out). Meanwhile Young Hunters was a bad, unnecessary show apparently written by people who had never seen another season of Digimon but I still moderately enjoyed watching it. Of course I'm not alien to having bad opinions on Digimon, I mean I liked Frontier and 02 despite their badness. I really liked the Xros Wars manga though.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Pastrymancy posted:

Yolei was supposed to be the computer kid? :confused:

Yeah, she was set up that way. Of course Miyako (and Iori) was dreadfully mismanaged so I don't blame you for not remembering. 02 really feels like there were too many cooks at work on it, and the result is something bizarrely half-baked. Say what you like about Daisuke, he's one of the only people who actually had something resembling a consistent character throughout.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

dragon_pamcake posted:

Too bad the radio drama where they all swap Digimentals and Wormmon evolves into a pink fairy never came over here.

Being a hopeless Pedant I'd like to clarify that dragon_pamcake is not saying that the swapping Digimentals made Wormmon into a pink fairy, that's the digimon he evolves into with the Digimental of Kindness.

dragon_pamcake posted:

That character had so little relevance to the plot I forgot he existed. He also died in a way that was so meaningless it actually hindered the people he was trying to help.

Ugh, Black WarGreymon was the Nadir of 02. His death was utterly pathetic yet everything that waste of time deserved. The best part about his death is that it didn't mean a drat thing. He didn't actually hinder anyone because the show implies that Oikawa would have ended up in that pseudo-space anyways, if you go back and watch that episode compare it with Adventure 99 because it turns out Oikawa chose the wrong card.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Red Bones posted:

How are the Japanese versions of the films they cut together to make the digimon movie? That's probably the only digimon thing I watched when I was younger that I'd rewatch now.

Movies 1 and 2 are actually really good. Movie 3 is weaker. In general they're played less for gags and tend to be longer with a much better soundtrack.

Movie 1 in the Japanese is longer with less dialogue, but it also has a real feel of childlike awe and whimsy about it. It has a soundtrack that perfectly captures a sense of awe and discovery. Worth watching. Movie 2 was a more standard style action anime movie, but it also had a good soundtrack, excellent animation, and good performances from the cast. Also worth watching.

Movie 3 honestly wasn't all that good in the original, it was a little too long, a little confused, and like a lot of stuff in 02 made the cast look weak and incompetent. The final battle is basically 20 minutes of the heroes getting smacked around which isn't all that interesting to watch. However you should still go back and take a look if you're at all interested, the American Dub cut about a third of the movie including a pretty major plot thread. Additionally while the plotting bombed it has a mesmerizing soundtrack and really amazing cinematography. There's a real sense of loneliness and emptiness all throughout that movie to tie perfectly into Wallace's story, and the backgrounds and settings are amazing portraits of Americana. I say watch it yourself, the movie looks and feels really great even if it isn't that good.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Thundersword238 posted:

I am shocked more people don't remember the episode of 02 where Kairi is almost forced to marry Digimon Cthulu, because seriously, what the gently caress was up with that one.

Honestly I think people do remember it, it's just that even among a disjointed, confused season Chiaki J Konaka Presents "The Digi-Shadow Over Innsmouth" feels supremely out of place. And it was weirder than that, the Deep Ones imply they wanted Hikari to raise a generation to fight against both Digi-Cthulhu and allegedly the Digimon Kaiser. Though of course that entire episode is so cryptic and so disconnected from the season and the source of this information so incredibly questionable it's totally unclear what was going on there. I mean besides the obvious, they gave Konaka creative control and he went full Lovecraft, and they never gave it back until the next season.

One nice thing I noticed from that episode? In one scene there's a sign in the background that literally says "Innsmouth" in digiscript.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Think of it more like literally the video Too Many Cooks. Chiaki was brought in, did his part of the broth and nobody bothered to build up on that 'till it was brought up for a little bit a while before the end.

Actually the Dark World is brought up relatively frequently as a plot point throughout 02, in fact I'd honestly call it the writer's favorite plot device for the entire post-Kaiser show. It's just used pretty badly all around. It's randomly referred to about halfway through the series when there's randomly that big pile of evil in the Kaiser's crashed base, it's there in Ken's backstory, there's the episode introducing Sylphimon where Hikari and Miyako inexplicably fall into it, and it was the plot device they shoved Demon into because the 02 team had that huge problem with them sucking. Notably every later appearance of the Dark World bears no connection with the weird Cthulhu vibes in the initial episode, and each subsequent appearance seems to rewrite the rules on what it is or how it works. As far as I can tell every single writer had their own idea about it, and none of the twains would meet.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

The Vaccine-Data-Virus triangle of weaknesses was a thing in Digimon World 2 and a semi-thing in the American release of the Digimon Card Game. It might have been a thing in some of the old V-Pets but hell if I know. It's also a sort of understandable idea derived from descriptions in Adventure 99 about what the 3 types mean, but like so many other elements of Digimon it's a vaguely accepted setting concept that doesn't actually have real traction in the anime.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Rudoku posted:

The old keychains had Perfect/Ultimate as the final stage, so there was that at least.

Those were only the very first keychains though. Ultimate/Mega was introduced well before Adventure 99.

Astro Nut posted:

To be fair, I'm not sure the notion of him being a level higher as solidly in stone at the time - the same way Whamon has shifted about a bit.

Whamon has both an Adult and Perfect version for whatever reason. Same thing as Minotarumon which was initially a perfect and then appeared as an Adult in 02. And of course Arcadimon is named the same thing no matter how high it evolves.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Ethiser posted:

The real question is at what stage will the digivolutions be different. I'm betting Ultimate.

I'd say it's pretty likely Agumon and Gabumon will keep their entire line, if they're going to change anything really.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

They could get these evolutions though

ZeedGarurumon and VictoryGreymon

Unless they Jogress into some new form of Omegamon I doubt they're going to change WarGreymon/MetalGarurumon. Actually Digimon Tri? Have a new form of Omegamon made from Z'DGarurumon and VictoryGreymon.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

TFRazorsaw posted:

Mastemon, a jogress evolution of Angewomon and LadyDevimon, premiering in Cyber Sleuth.

Interesting, she has the same namesake as that bastard from Shin Megami Tensei I see.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Rudoku posted:

Remember Ryo from Digimon Tamers? He had a whole series of games and was Veemon's first tamer. And had a Demon Lord Digimon after his booty.

Evil God Digimon actually. It says something about me that I know this off the cuff.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Covok posted:

So, when did Adventure' Gatoman's mega form change from Magnadramon to Ophanimon and why?

Since Digimon Adventure for the PSP. Duh. I assume they liked it better than Holydramon and decided to retcon, remember that Ophanimon didn't exist during Adventure. They also went with Vikemon for Gomamon if you noticed.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Blaze Dragon posted:

(what I'm trying to say is read the loving Xros Wars manga because it is great)

It was way better than the anime in my book.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Endorph posted:

he rides up on his motorcycle, there's a swell of dramatic, darkly heroic music, and then he gets hit by a train and isnt seen for the rest of the movie

rest in peace

No Beelzebumon shows up at the end to save Suichon from some Parasimon.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

But does it hold a candle to V-tamer?

Honestly I'd say yes. The fights aren't as good but the Xros Wars manga very much is.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Onmi posted:

But Xros Wars was freaking awesome until Time Hunters, which could easily count as a separate series. Also a deliberate attempt to make the exact same mistakes 02 made.

Well love of Xros Wars isn't universal, I know I hated it. I'm hoping Tri is a show with a less divisive appeal.

Chakram posted:

Who's ready for lots of downplaying of anything relating to Adventure 02?

They've already announced they'll be focusing on the initial 8 in Tri. I still hope they don't completely ignore the 02 cast though, they already had one series where they were poorly handled and mistreated and it would be shame to be saddled with another.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

It didn't exist at the time of 02 but probably this

Back when 02 was new Wormmon's "official" Perfect was Dinobeemon. Note the quotation marks around "official" of course.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Onmi posted:

So did Ryo exist? if he did, then how come none of the other children remember him?

Why the gently caress has everyone in the real world forgotten about Digimon and the need to hide them has come up again? This isn't just randoms Koushiro's mother doesn't recognize them. I think the show tries to justify this by going "Gennai! That's why!" but that's bullshit!

Montegoraon posted:

They did kinda gently caress him over pretty terribly. It's understandable that bringing him up would be rather uncomfortable.

Not even that, Ryo's games suggest he got retconned out of the Adventure universe and ended up in Tamers. Interdimensional Time Travel is a hell of a thing. Remember the third Ryo game had a massive international Chosen Child fighting tournament presided over by the four gods that appears excised from existence.

Also Koushiro's Mother actually does remember Tentomon considering she asks about "Tento-san" in one of the exposition scenes at his place. Of course they still play the stuffed animal thing when she walks in, but I think that's somewhere between a gag and a reflex. I don't recall if there are any other scenes about the 99 kids hiding Digimon from their families, and both Iori and Ken had scenes where their families learned about their Digimon. I honestly don't have a problem with how 02 deals with Digimon existing. Adventure 02 plays "Monsters exist" as a thing that seems generally known but "They have kids they hang around with to power up" being mostly unknown. Considering the best known instance of Digimon running around was when Vamdemon conquered a city it roughly makes sense from a kids' perspective to keep having a Digimon partner a secret.

Really if you want plotholes rewatch the last 5 episodes of 02, the show falls absolutely to tatters. Take special notice of how many problems there are with Oikawa/Vamdemon's SORE MO WATASHI DA speeches in episodes 47 and 48.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Onmi posted:

Adventure's problem (Besides being a 13 episode anime turned into a 26 episode anime turned into a full length series)

Was this ever confirmed as anything more than a rumor?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc4Res4zkJk&t=306s

Longer Cyber Sleuth's trailer showcasing the different aspects of the game.

From the little I can gather, the battle system is pretty similar (if not identical) to the one found on Dawn/Dusk.

Actually the battle system looks more like Digimon Adventure PSP. They mention things like Breaks, and there's a version of the combo system there. However the rest looks very DS Digimon Story, with scan data and a digi farm.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I don't really see it as fanficcy honestly. I mean I sort of see where you're coming from, but I think the Xros manga is actually perfectly workable even if you hadn't seen a previous season. They do indeed make a lot of references, but the manga doesn't necessarily expect or rely on you getting them all. You could read it as a self-contained story if you didn't know otherwise, and I think that's the mark of a good anniversary style series.

I agree completely that Nene wasn't used well in the manga, but I'll also say that sadly I think she's still treated better there than in the anime. Nene in the anime was pretty useless and superfluous, it's sad to say but Nene in the manga was a much more direct driver of the plot even if she spent the second half somewhere between lackey and a hostage.

I sort of wish that we had a good anime of the Xros Wars manga, there's a lot of ideas and characters in there that I'd love more time to see fleshed out.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

TFRazorsaw posted:

Anyway, in regards to the Super Evolutions, they're fanficcy because they just happen. They don't really accomplish anything other than giving us Shoutmon EX6, who is completely superfluous because they work Superior Mode in anyway. ShootingStarmon gets a bit by helping them finish Tactimon but that doesn't really justify the rest of it.

The thing is that Xros Wars Manga put a huge premium on making Evolution the end-point of the series. It's a major setting detail that Digimon can no longer evolve, that's why Digixrossing was invented in the first place, and that's why Omega Shoutmon and Ziek Greymon were such a big deal. The manga made it a big thing of it when Taiki and Kiriha brought evolution back for Shoutmon and Metal Greymon, so to me it makes perfect sense that the other kids would bring back evolution for the other core Digimon, especially in hindsight with the final battle happening with the entire army evolving. So no, I don't think all the other Super Evolutions were fanficcy, or that they came out of nowhere and just happened.

You are correct that the final form probably should have been Shoutmon EX7 however.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Blaze Dragon posted:

Materials outside the show itself give Shakkoumon's Mega as Vikemon, which is badass but also unfitting. And considering now it is apparently Gomamon's Mega (replacing Plesiomon), I doubt we'll ever see it, even moreso if tri does show the Megas for the rest of the children, something I absolutely expect.

And then Digimon All-Star Rumble had Gomamon using Plesiomon as its Ultimate again.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

ConanThe3rd posted:

UK Netflix has Digimon Fusion so you can sit back and witness the whiteness that is Vic Mignogna voicing basically Kaiba and like a million rookies.

Vic Mignogna playing Kiriha just reminds me randomly that the Japanese voice actor for Kaiba played a dude who was basically evil space soccer Kaiba in Inazuma Eleven. Every one of his scenes was a wonderful :allears: experience for me because he really was Kaiba-ing it up.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Kurui Reiten posted:

You'd think they could throw a third-rate text translation in there and give us it digital-only. Works for the Warriors series they license to Koei, and Tales too if Hearts R means anything.

Cyber Sleuth is also selling really well in Japan. Honestly I'm all aboard with Bandai-Namco going Subs only, digital download assuming we actually get the game at all.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

dis astranagant posted:

Has any fan Digimon game translation actually finished? I know there's a Lost Evolution one that's been "almost done" for the last 2 years but I haven't really been paying attention to other ones.

There's one for Re:digitize on the PSP that's also Almost Done, but they've been Almost Done for only 6 months now and actually provide occasional status updates.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

mikeycp posted:

My main issue is them going full tilt "keikaku means plan" with attack names.

Ryuu-Rogue did the same thing in Inazuma Eleven as well, though they were curiously inconsistent with it. They refused to translate more than a few moves (Though I admit Inazuma Eleven had some finicky mouthfuls that were hard to localize sensibly), but then they stayed the course at keeping "Avatar" translated instead of staying "Keshin" like more or less the entire fandom. IE's subs also has the usual sort of stodgy dialogue and awkward phrases you see when a fansub group is focused on translating to the letter and not the spirit of the original script. Also I'm a complete novice at these things and more than likely wrong, but I'd swear that their given translation for Shinkuuma isn't right and since I love that move it bugs me.

Also Ryuu-Rogue took a year to sub a single episode, so even if they picked up Tri I suspect someone else would beat them to the punch.

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Mar 30, 2015

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

readingatwork posted:

Right!? I'm not even sure HOW they hosed up Hunters that badly in the first place. On paper it's the best drat Digimon series ever and the second season of XW was actually pretty decent so I know they had at least SOME talent to draw from. They should have have had no problem making something at least mildly watchable but instead we got a boring trainwreck aimed at five year olds.

I think they didn't really want to do Young Hunters. To do mildly baseless rumormongering based on third-hand information I've heard that the people behind the show had no plans for Young Hunters until they were suddenly given another 26 episodes and told do a third arc that was a crossover. I cannot watch the crossover elements without concluding they were put together by people who had not actually seen any of the previous seasons they were crossing over with. And I still enjoyed it more than any of the rest of Xros Wars so go figure.

forbidden lesbian posted:

lol if you watched a digimon past the third series

Frontier botched the landing but was still enjoyable. Savers was legit good in my book.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

When Literally The Worst mentioned the giant boxing ring around the Earth they forgot to mention that at one point the hero takes his giant robot and actually does a bounce off of it to fly around the world really fast. And wonderful early 90s Japanese racism like the Mexican Tequila Gundam piloted by an illegal immigrant or the time Neo USA busts out its superweapon, THE STATUE OF LIBERTY CANNON. And underneath it all it's actually a well written show with good character arcs and a likeable cast. It's both hilarious AND good.

AlternateNu posted:

I thought RaXephon was NGE done right.

My favorite one-liner about the two shows is the NGE is a psychological drama anime with Giant Robots, and RahXephon is a Giant Robo anime with psychological drama. I think both are actually pretty good at what they set out to be, but I think Rahxephon definitely the best post-Eva Eva.

Some Numbers posted:

Takato's got more of a backbone and actually does stuff, but I can see the comparison.

I think one of my favorite bit from the production notes site for Digimon Tamers is a bit where Konaka talks about repeatedly taking pains to say to the higher ups at Toei that Takato isn't supposed to be weak-willed or quiet but just really normal. Takato has a stable home life, a lot of friends, and is generally just a generic third grader who likes Digimon. Shinji meanwhile is acting completely normally considering he has a father who does everything to get Shinji to hate him, a mother who is roughly dead, lives and hangs around with a bunch of people at least as messed up as he is, and that's before fighting giant nightmares in another giant nightmare. Takato is a lot more well adjusted just by virtue of having a working support network of people who are there for him and don't passive-aggressively hate him.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Blaze Dragon posted:

First time I hear that one. The only Tamers what-could-have-been thing I knew was that Impmon/Beelzebumon was meant to be the big bad of the series, before being changed to an antagonist that gets to redeem himself.

No, the production website merely says that early plans would place Impmon as a major antagonist for the first half of the series, what was changed appears to be Impmon later turning around and becoming a good guy.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

The Royal Knights arc of Frontier is right down there with Black WarGreymon's arc in 02 as the absolute nadir of Digimon. I really think Frontier was good for about 38 episodes, and there's some stuff in the last few I liked, but the problem is that there isn't enough good stuff in that final arc. Frontier not only failed to stick the landing, it absolutely crashed and burned.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Blaze Dragon posted:

Even V-Tamer's V-dramon was canonically an Agumon once though, so they do have that in common. Their Agumon just took completely different evolution lines, and they both ended up as Royal Knights somehow. Multiverse coincidences!

Zero was only incredibly heavily implied to be an Agumon from at least two different directions, we never got a 100% on what he was as at Child level.

AtheistMantis posted:

Oh man, remember in V-Tamer how crazy it was when that one guy's gimmick was to jogress and then partition his Omegamon to effectively have infinite heals?

It was even a recurring thing. Neo did that Jogress thing well before Hideto ever did.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Blaze Dragon posted:

Taichi literally outright states that Zero was an Agumon when he sees the Agumon Leo trained, and a chapter page shows every form Zero had in the past as V-Pet sprites, and they'yre Botamon, Koromon and Agumon.

You have a really weird idea of the line between "heavily implied" and "outright confirmed".

You should chill out. In that particular scene my translation just has Taichi saying only that he remembers when Zero was "Like that", which could be interpreted "As an Agumon" or "As a child level". However It made sense that Zero would have been an Agumon because in the original V-Pet Agumon was the form you got for making few or no care mistakes (the other form is Betamon), and they frequently reference how much Taichi cares about his partner. I never realized they gave Zero that full evolution line picture to confirm what he evolved from, that's a good thing to know.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

ConanThe3rd posted:

I forget, was Thomas' turn coating always a ploy or was that an invention of the dub to soften the affair?

It was a ploy. Touma's father made a deal with Kurata to use the same data integration surgery that had gone into making the Bio Hybrids to heal Touma's younger sister. In return Touma was to make a device to let Kurata control Belphemon. To make sure Touma made good Kurata had strapped a bomb collar to said sister, Touma went along with Kurata only until the time of the actual surgery when the collar came off, then he promptly disposed of it and blew up the Belphemon controller.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

readingatwork posted:

02's biggest sin in my book (well, one of them anyway) was that it needed one final arc with a villain that wasn't a rehash from the previous series. I thought that what all the dark ocean/dark spore stuff was leading up to but apparently that was just a tie in to the video games. If Tri deals with this and those hell-themed digimon that showed up for like five minutes in a satisfying way 02 would actually move into my "Not Terrible Digimon Series" column.

Well the Dark Spore stuff was a tie-in to Ken's origins in the Wonderswan games, but the stuff with the Dark Ocean was a combination of broken promises and bad politics. That episode was made by Chiaki J. Konaka who was series head of Digimon Tamers among other things, he was apparently promised the chance to do a follow-up to it but never got it because Toei was being crappy.

Edward IV posted:

Was Tri ever officially confirmed to begin airing in the spring?

I believe it was stated to be Spring 2015 a while ago, but this is the first time we got an actual date.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

KoB posted:

What is the deal with all the crazy evolution stuff? How does that one dude fuse with his digimon?

Think of it like a DNA/Jogress evolution. In Digimon Tamers the idea was that the human had an empathic connection to their digimon partner, and that connection is what allowed their digimon to evolve as it got stronger. From that perspective fusing is the most direct final step.

quote:

How does that other dude transform into a digimon?

Spirits. Digimon Frontier's backstory is that a long time ago ten really powerful digimon fought a bad guy, and when they died they left behind their spirits which had their power. If you use a spirit you evolve to a Digimon that has inherited the power of those legendary warriors, regardless of whether you actually were a digimon or not.

quote:

Is there an explanation to how Masaru can punch Megas in the face?

Yes. Digimon Savers has a thing called a Digisoul which some people have that can be channeled to allow for evolution. Most people can summon it at will, but Masaru being a musclehead who thinks with fists can only summon it by punching a Digimon. It turns out over the course of the series that bottled evolution is also a surprisingly effective weapon, Masaru's father with a similar style of Digisoul once created a lake out of a desert just by punching the ground so hard it opened a geyser.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

drrockso20 posted:

Runaway Locomon not being canon according to Konaka is pretty much the only piece of Word of God from him regarding Tamers I actively ignore, cause the other option, having that really bleak CD Drama be canon is too goddamn depressing to conceive of

I merely employ the long-standing fandom discipline of cognitive dissonance and say that the CD Dramas happened shortly before the digimon came home, and then we got the movie events later. The CD Drama is really only as crushingly depressing as it is if we accept it as the official end to the series, if you doggedly refuse to see it as anything but a mid-epilogue midquel it's actually pretty a touching capstone to the character development of Tamers.

As for Hurricane Touchdown the thing that always stands out to me is that it's perhaps ground zero to the long-standing issue of making the 02 cast look like jokes. A massive chunk of the movie is Antiramon and later Cherubimon Vice effortlessly kicking the crap out of the heroes before that ending happens. Hurricane Touchdown is a very pretty movie and I could gush about the score and the backgrounds and the cinematography, but it's really not fun to watch the heroes get beat up with the knowledge you're just waiting for that last minute swerve.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Geostomp posted:

Finally, Terriermon gets to be involved in something.

Not only that, Terriermon is one of the three starters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

This is EXACTLY the sort of thing I was really hoping they actually DIDN'T do in their Adventure sequel. Maybe with the benefit of hindsight it'll all shake out well, but it's not exactly starting on the right foot for me.