Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Card game banlist update!

Long story short, they hit Eyesmon Scatter Mode and several cards that support it, as well as the other old purple Gabumon as a sort of semi-hit to Garuru X engine decks. They also hit BT13 GeoGreymon to slow down Shine and stop yellow vaccine and yellow hybrid from abusing it and EX4 MachGaogamon because it was the best one and they wanted to slow Gaomon down a little bit. I wish they hit Analog Youth, and obviously it would be nice to see EX5 Garurumon X getting hit at BT15's release, but I guess we'll see.

They also removed the limits on SaviorHuckmon and Tommy Himi. Savior being unlimited is fine, it diversifies Jesmon decks (and got hardcore powercreeped by SolLoogarmon anyway). I'm a little unsure on Tommy being unhit. I don't think it's going to do too much, but source strip is still a pretty solid strategy and stun is extremely annoying. It's probably fine.

The list could be better, but considering what I was expecting, I'm pretty happy with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFO4BYtiQV8

It's definitely gonna be a manga, right?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Seiyal posted:

Specifically mentioning the card game makes me wonder if we’ll be seeing some sort of online client with a story to it. Wouldn’t put it past Bandai to just put out another manga (considering the contest they held earlier this year) but we also know that the Dragon Ball game is getting a refresh with a digital client as well. Also putting “metaverse” in the teaser screams some sort of online venture.

Whether or not that’s true remains to be seen of course but the scrambled text in the YouTube visual screen cap seems to say “Digimon Liberation/Liberator” which could fit if they’re going a digital card game route.

Yeah, absolutely. I'm mostly just trying to avoid getting my hopes up in case it winds up being nothing. Given the way Digimon as a franchise works, the splash screens they had could be referring to anything.

I think, considering this is an announcement for an announcement, it's probably not just a manga. The problem is it could just be a manga, and that would be really disappointing.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Blaze Dragon posted:

It should be noted that this isn't just Magnamon X again. This is Magnamon X's Gold Digizoid mode which we haven't ever seen before. The DRB profile said it existed, but it took until now to get a proper view of it, and it does look cool for an overdesigned X-Antibody

Here's some concept art for it. It looks decent, all things considered.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

TheThirst posted:

I liked it too! But it felt more like a standalone movie with the 02 cast kind of tacked on (they played off each other well in the scenes we did get, though). Don't take any kids to this one.

I never saw Last Evolution Kizuna because of covid cancelling the screening, but if I liked this and not Tri do you think that one is worth seeking out?

I haven't seen the 02 movie so I can't really comment on that, but Kizuna is really good. You should probably check it out if you're interested.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I've been wanting a new Chaosmon for a while now, and a jogress Chaosmon (maybe in a Bancho deck) would rule. I was already kinda interested in BT16 for Silphymon and whatever they wind up doing with green outside of Imperial, but now I'm suddenly very excited for these reveals

quote:

Chaosmon BT16-036 SR <03>
Mega | Vaccine | Unique
[[DNA Digivolve] Yellow Lv.6 & Black Lv.6: Cost 0]

<Barrier> <Blocker> <Partition (Yellow Lv.6 & Black Lv.6)> (When this Digimon with 1 of each specified card in its digivolution cards would leave the battle area other than by one of your effects or in battle, you may play 1 of each card without paying their costs)
[When Digivolving] <De-Digivolve 3> 1 of your opponent's Digimon. Then, 1 of your opponent's Digimon gets -8000 DP for the turn.
[End of Opponent's Turn] Trash the top card of both players security stack.
[(Rule) Trait: Also has [Boss]/[D-Brigade].]

Here he is! Seems good. The security trash is interesting. Considering both Darkdramon and BanchoLeomon have on plays, partition is really threatening on this card. It also slots really naturally into HeavyLeomon, which is awesome. I really like this card

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Nov 19, 2023

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Larryb posted:

Also is Seekers still going and does it get better? I kind of lost interest early on

Still ongoing. It's going to finish at the end of March I believe.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
New banlist for the card game got posted. It's a murder list

They also posted about how they've changed their banlist philosophy recently, hence the hits to an SR and a secret rare in this list. Here's a link to the producer's letter. It opens with some new product advertisements, but once they get to the banlist commentary it becomes very interesting.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Blaze Dragon posted:

I think it's more likely that they realized the backlash against Last Evolution and decided to go on an opposite, and much better, direction for The Beginning though, since I don't see as much as you do that hints at it not being honest about its message, beyond the fact that it fails to connect to the epilogue despite still being canon.

I don't think the backlash against Kizuna exists outside of the absurd takes from this thread.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

The Bee posted:

Thanks, guys! The Kizuna stuff is honestly nothing too new, and I've seen opinions like it before that helped me appreciate the movie more. However, I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone else looking back at those old analyses through the lens of The Beginning yet.

It's interesting because I don't think Kizuna is outright dishonest about its message. I just think it isn't quite as direct and final as "you grow up, the magic's gone, life sucks and this is the end." It almost feels more like a weird, in between stage of the cast's lives, their uncertainty literally made manifest by the loss of their other halves. The bittersweet nature of their current situation, backdropped by the hopeful insistence that they'll see each other again and always be together, just gives it a different feeling.

I know this goes against the epilogue being canon, but you know what would be a neat marker of this? Having Agumon and Gabumon come back as Greymon and Garurumon in a potential sequel. After all, in Japan, this is the shift from Child to Adult, the same evolution that Tai and Matt are struggling so much with. With Adventure partners basically being children stepping into that role when the chips are down, seeing their natural growth into those forms full-time could be fun symbolism.

There was a blog post shared earlier in the thread that compared a few different subs for Kizuna, it suggested that the finality presented in the official sub was a mistranslation. One of the key takeaways from that post is that the movie has more hope that Taichi and Yamato will see Agumon and Gabumon again than the official sub suggests.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Blaze Dragon posted:

It seems we're getting something soon for the 25th anime anniversary. I hope it's a new anime (which seems like the most likely option anyways).

https://twitter.com/digimonweb_net/status/1738352034120974433?t=UCqY0eeCLp0EuqsWJ5ViLw&s=19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOm2_2Ydw5M

Tomorrow at 6am ET. Hmmmmmmmmm

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

rofl

Holy poo poo, it isn't even a manga. The new project they've been hyping up is a goddamn webcomic.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I doubt they're introducing a new color. It may be a multi-color thing, like how modern Greymon is Red/Black.

For what it's worth, I want to be optimistic about this because recent Digimon media has been very good (I recently caught up on Seekers, which was a really good time.) I'm just really pessimistic about how Bandai treats digica in general.

E: Where can I read Dreamers, by the way? I had no idea it existed until this morning.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Thanks! I'll probably give it a look once I finish what I'm currently reading.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Larryb posted:

I should note that it takes a little bit for the series to actually get going (in my opinion at least) and thus far there’s only one human cast member

Good to know, thanks

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Omnicrom posted:

It's not much, but over on https://digimoncard.com/digimon_liberator/ you can click on the cast for pop-outs which show the characters as actual cards with colors, though without names and effects. It's not a particularly surprising reveal as this very thread guessed it, but it does confirm the lead and main Digimon are Green and the girl and her shoe Mimikyu are Yellow.

That wasn't actually a prediction, those cards that were blank except for the card art were just in the new trailer for Liberator.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Omnicrom posted:

A good move given none of the four cards are strong enough on their own to warrant hits.

Agreed. I like that you can still use these cards in non-exploit decks, some of them are really important

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

SpikeMcclane posted:

I have what's probably a stupid question about the card game. When a digimon in the breeding digivolves, for the sole purpose of triggering a general "when a digimon digivolves" effect in the play area that doesn't target the card digivolving, does that trigger count? I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but the specific wording in the rules and FAQ are probably making me overthink it (they list everything except activating triggers as not counting in the breeding area).

The simple answer is no. Nothing activates in the breeding area unless it has the breeding tag. Additionally, digimon in the breeding area can't be targeted by effects

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

SpikeMcclane posted:

Yeah, that's why I'm even asking. It isn't an effect that is being activated in the breeding area and the effect isn't targeting the card in the breeding area. The rules and faq say nothing about creating triggers and the breeding area, plus it still counts as digivolving for triggering the bonus card draw for digivolving.

Oh, I think I see what you're getting at. You have a digimon in play that does something if it sees a digimon digivolve, like the new rookies from BT16. I actually don't know how to rule that one, I'll have to ask some buds of mine when I head to locals. My immediate assumption is it wouldn't trigger, though.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

SpikeMcclane posted:

I agree that that's the way I think it works, but it doesn't actually say that in the rules and FAQ for the game, which is annoying, especially because it would be easier and clearer to write it that way. Instead, there's lists of ways the breeding area doesn't interact with the rest of the game that does not include everything (and also has inconsistent entries depending on which official document you're looking at).

Section 3-4-6 of the comprehensive rules document implies the answer is no, but it's not as clear as I'd like it to be.

quote:

3-4-6. Effects can't be affected by the breeding area and effects can't target the breeding area, particularly cards in the breeding area, unless text specifies that an effect will activate for a card in the breeding area. In addition, cards in breeding areas can't be referenced by effects

I'd recommend asking a judge in the official discord.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
People haven't mentioned it yet in this thread, but Bandai is planning on merging the EN and JP formats

Based on what people at the event have been sharing, the plan to get EN caught up is combined sets.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 28, 2024

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

girl dick energy posted:

I can’t tell if this is a good sign for the health of the game because they want everyone playing the same game for ease-of-balance reasons, or a canary in the coal mine because sales are flagging and they’re trying to dump all the unreleased cards as quickly as possible.

I think it's another indication that they actually listen to their playerbase more than anything. There have been pretty significant problems caused by the delay between the JP and EN releases of the game (remember how annoyed people were at the Scatter Mode restriction?) and while I can't speak for other people, every time they had a digica survey I asked for them to merge the formats like this.

The game seems pretty healthy, with regionals capping pretty quickly and EN nats having nearly 1000 people again, and from the indicators I've seen sales seem pretty good. I think people have been asking for this and they're delivering. Plus, they wouldn't be making Liberator if the game was crashing imo

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Just waiting for Cyber Sleuth 2

Three. Cyber Sleuth 3.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
https://x.com/JP_Excelsior/status/1760221945188987085?s=20

This is pretty unsurprising, but Liberator is starting up in March.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Callismon getting a DRB entry is conspicuous as hell.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Nodosaur posted:

not really, he's in the new Nightmare Soldiers pendulum

I guess, but it's still notable that they're doing something with another digimon from V-Tamer.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
https://www.gametrade.it/Product/143813/Box_Digimon_Card_Game_EX07_Digimon_Liberator

quote:

"Digimon Liberator" is now available

Digimon Liberator, an original story from the Digimon Card Game, has begun in the form of a webcomic!
This set Includes many Digimon and Tamers that appear for the first time in this series!
This booster also includes cards that go well with ST18 and ST19, allowing for new deck building possibilities!
Cards with different specifications added to the Common and Uncommon slots!

The conventional Common card slots will be included as [Limited Common] or [Limited Uncommon], which has different specification from the Common and Uncommon cards of the same set increasing the enjoyment of opening packs!
Digimon that inhabit hte "Nature Spirits" will be included!

Many nature-related Digimon, such as SaberLeomon, Eldradimon, and Tlalocmon from the LCD toy "Digimon Pendulum COLOR", are included! You can build a new deck with these Digimon that possess the "Nature Spirits" characteristic!
Enhance version of popular Digimon!

Includes popular Digimon such as the three musketeers, BeelStarmon, MangnaKidmon and Gundramon which are very popular among users!
And BeelStarmon will be included as an ACE Digimon!

Tlalocmon and the Nature Spirits! I guess there's BeelStarmon ACE too, but who cares, Tlalocmon!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Larryb posted:

Got a link to the comic then (assuming it’s available in English)?

Not yet. This is a product description for something that won't be released until Liberator is well underway.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Larryb posted:

Ah ok, the wording of the first sentence made it seem like it was out right now

Right. Keep in mind that EX7 won't be releasing until the end of May in Japan, and the product page linked suggests a September release for English.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

The Golux posted:

I hope they don't have supply issues and therefore the impact on the actual availability of the cards is better this time...

It will be better, probably. It won't be good, and the cards are gonna be kinda hard to pull, but it will be better.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb842H3B2hI

There was a lot of news about Liberator in the card game section of digimon con. This trailer was cool.

There's going to be a companion web novel for it, a different story in the same world. The protagonist is this girl, Yuuki. She's partnered with an Impmon, and given BeelStarmon is in EX07, you can imagine what she plays.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Nodosaur posted:

I like the mysterious guy with the Omekamon best

I have high hopes for new ghosts from the woman with a Ghostmon. Give me a spooky ghost deck. Even if the mega is a hot woman (almost guaranteed, realistically), give me a bunch of ghosts that do ghost things along the way.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Nodosaur posted:

Yeah, but. Cool looking mysterious guy you expect to be the bad rear end mentor or mysterious player or something

And his partner is a loving joke Digimon

I'm giving that dude the side eye. He looks like Cool Boy and is partnered with an X Antibody.

Mega side eye.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's unreadable. Genuinely awful. Maybe it works well on phones but it was a pain to read on PC. Just draw it like a normal manga.

I prefer traditional manga format too, but I wouldn't go so far as to call the format unreadable. I just think that the format probably doesn't allow for really cool two-page spreads, which is my favorite thing about the traditional format.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
It converted, so it can't be that bad.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Larryb posted:

Unless it recently went up on streaming or is still in theaters The Beginning won’t be out in a watchable format until the end of May however

I don't think the guy considering watching multiple 50+ episode anime series needs to worry about that

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Nodosaur posted:

Update - I now know how to play, and have ordered the cards I need for my ShineGreymon deck

If you want to chat about the game, there's a dedicated Digimon channel in the yugioh goons discord that a few of us use. Here's the server link: https://discord.com/invite/QNtT8dHC

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I'm pretty sure the servers are just getting slammed. It was the same when they released chapter 0, and this morning, even the main digica website was struggling.

Anyway, I really enjoyed that first chapter. It hit all the beats I was expecting it to in a really exciting way, and it was a pretty decent length, too. I'm excited to read more of it, hopefully the servers are more stable when future chapters release.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

thetoughestbean posted:

Wizardmon makes perfect sense in the Champion slot, imo

The Impmon X line does a lot to make the line feel more coherent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN8Km6ONoiE

:siren: The Digimon Card Game sim is out! :siren: