Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Can someone explain the hate for Young Hunters? I think I've only seen one half of an episode of Xros Wars in general, much less Young Hunters, and I don't really know where the hate comes from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

After which they gave him an entire series in Tamers, at which point he created an incredibly elaborate backstory that even made the adults in the series important and interesting.

Basically I want more Digimon series like that.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I want the first ambassador to the Digital World to be just some random politician, and the first ambassador to the real world to be like loving Cyberdramon, in a well tailored suit, trying to fit into elevators and poo poo.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Well, we started getting Tales games again, and apparently Xros Wars or Fusion or whatever is going to start airing again here soonish. Maybe we'll get something?

Bandai Namco should just slap a text translation on these and release them digitally. It would fit the themes of the source materials so well.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Also, from what I remember, that was added in the dub. The writers simply figured "Oh, leading guy and leading lady, they probably get together, duh" and then season 2's ending was like "nope".

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Having recently watched Our War Game and The Revenge of Diaboromon in Japanese, it's amazing just how built up Omnimon and his offshoots have become. Omnimon murders literal thousands of Megas at a time, and then gets rocked by a single Armageddomon in the real world. To the point where his loving arms drop off. Then Imperialdramon gets given Omnimon's power as a sword, becomes Swole Paladin Mode, and one shots him.

It's kind of hilarious. I guess you could say, oh, Omnimon wasn't powered by the will of children across the world the second time, but still. Just funny to me somehow.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Materials outside the show itself give Shakkoumon's Mega as Vikemon, which is badass but also unfitting. And considering now it is apparently Gomamon's Mega (replacing Plesiomon), I doubt we'll ever see it, even moreso if tri does show the Megas for the rest of the children, something I absolutely expect.

The Diablomon clones seemed to have no defense whatsoever and were very easily destroyed, and Armagemon's profile outright states that "Diablomon had the ability to make many copies of itself, but they were characterized by having lesser abilities than the original possessed". The real one was heavily slowed down by a bunch of emails being sent at once, letting Omegamon get an easy kill. Meanwhile Armagemon was able to fight at full power and is by itself a far stronger Digimon than Diablomon.

Revenge of Diablomon basically follows the same pattern as Our War Game, previously unbeatable Digimon lose -> new fusion -> easy as hell win. This time it's Imperialdramon PM taking over Omegamon. About the arms falling...well, nothing wrong with an Evangelion reference, right?

Oh, the outside materials definitely explain the entire thing. I just hadn't seen the original version of Our War Game or any of Revenge of Diaboromon until recently. I found it funny how these two Digimon, whom I remember being top tier and secret in a bunch of games and such, had fight scenes that boiled down to "Destroys literally thousands of Megas, then gets chumped by a single one later" and "fight starts, single face stab, fight over".

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

You'd think they could throw a third-rate text translation in there and give us it digital-only. Works for the Warriors series they license to Koei, and Tales too if Hearts R means anything.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

The best part of Digimon to me will always be the vaguely cthulhu mythos-ish depiction of data and the internet. I'm not sure why they haven't just plain explicitly advertised it as a more kid-friendly version of the SMT series, instead of just getting an artist or two. Social Links with Digimon, Fusion systems to get new ones, that sorta thing. Probably clean up.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Basically, Magna Angemon's light-type is super effective against dark-types. Villains, especially in Adventure and 02, were almost exclusively dark-types. That entire line is going to fair very well against them, because it's effectively the equivalent, in Pokemon terms, of Pikachu using Thunderbolt against a Gyarados, which is Water/Flying, and doing 8x damage to it. Meanwhile if Pikachu uses Thunderbolt against an Onyx, nothing loving happens.

Unless some idiot turned on the sprinkler system/plot device.

(You wanna talk OP, Pokemon is so many times worse it's not even funny)

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

readingatwork posted:

That's fine. Don't hesitate to throw in screen caps for those who haven't seen the show.

EDIT: Kind of tempted to do something like this with Xros Wars now

Please do throw in screencaps, yes. Some of us haven't watched the series, and don't really want to go back and try to watch it again to visualize stuff.

Also because properly timed screenshots in these things can be loving great.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I have the original DVD.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

I tried it and it's crashing whenever I put on my name. gently caress this!!!

There's a post on the blog mentioning that certain emulators/firmwares/whatever allow you to put in names longer than 8 letters, which will mess things up. Looks like the blog is down as of my going to check the exact wording, though.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

So, something cool I don't think I've seen mentioned yet about tri.:

In the evolution scenes, the Digimon get a silhouette covered in computer code. Pretty standard for Digimon, nothing special.

Except, this isn't just normal binary; there are 0s, 1s, and 2s. That's not binary code. That's ternary, or trinary code.

Digimon doesn't usually do anything like that. However, they have run with the idea, at points, that the Digital World was essentially created by the earliest computers, like ENIAC. There's a Soviet computer from 1958 called "Setun" that ran on ternary code...

Plus, of course, the obvious way tri. and trinary code go together.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Considering how Yagami and Kamiya are almost the same with reversed word sections, it feels like it might have just been someone transposing the Japanese characters by accident. After which, once it passed marketing and legal, Saban just shrugged and ran with it.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

You mean being above average when not fighting an evil digimon? :P

Yes, he's saying Angemon peaked early.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

what exactly would you define as "the main series"? I just ask that out of curiosity.

Pretty much anything. There's a ton of "lore", but in all honesty it's never been at the forefront of any series. Some of the players in the various groups and societies feature as protagonists or antagonists, but there's never been a series that's been JUST about exploring these potential story lines. They're just used as backdrop for different stories, or events. For instance, in Savers, the Royal Knights and Yggdrasil play a part in the final arc, but the lore isn't really the point. It's just "here's the group of misguided bad guys, here's the big bad boss, shounen plot happens". There hasn't been a series that's like "Well, let's explore all the Royal Knights, what their place is in the Digital World, how the SGDLs and the forces of light interact, how the Olympius Twelve and their Digital World works, and make a story just based around that". They're just always backstory, interesting but really unimportant to know for each individual series.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Twiddy posted:

I just think it's hilarious, as someone who copped out of Digimon after Tamers, that you all refer to these Royal Knights guys being an old and tired plot point. I didn't even know what those were until it was brought up in the thread.

If it helps to date it, they've been in the series since at least the tail end of Frontier, and in fairly constant use since then.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

One thing that's fun regarding the continuity issues is describing them to people.

For instance, a friend and I are watching Tamers, subbed, for the first time. For me, it's just the first time watching it subbed, as opposed to dubbed, and I already know basically 90% of the trivia. I've been a Digimon fan since Adventure first aired in America.

For him, this is the first time he's ever actually seen a Digimon series as an adult, the whole way through. He's only barely touched the stuff, though he enjoys the concept. It's been fun watching him think that the kids are immature at first, and then the build up as the series goes on. He's been expecting your standard shounen moments and beats, and it's been fun when the series undermines them. Or just the way Tamers plays everything a lot more "realistically" than Adventure/02, and especially how adults aren't the bad guys, or even hindrances after a short while.

Of course, we get to the Digital World, and we've been enjoying that so far. Just reached Shibumi's first episode, actually. That does mean, however, we've already experienced Ryo. My friend kept rolling his eyes at Ryo, being like "wow this guy is like some sort of self-insert OC or something". I just chuckled, until the introduction episode was over, and let him rant about it a little.

Then I actually EXPLAINED Ryo...

Those screams of pure confusion and disbelief were my favorite part of this entire series so far.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I just figure the rules of 99/02 were altered when Oikawa did his whole "oh no i'm dying i'll turn into butterflies and fix the world ok" thing. Of course, it ALSO ends with EVERYONE ON EARTH having their own partner Digimon.

It does seem a lot like 02 didn't happen in this timeline, though. Digimon were everywhere in 02, around the world. Everyone got a Digimon in the end. The 02 kids would definitely be more noticeably missing. Kari and TK have normal Digivices again, I think. It's been a while since I saw the first part.

It feels like something has retroactively removed 02 and its events from continuity, which more or less explains a lot of the weird poo poo going on. Maybe Ken is the only one of the 02 children to escape the whole debacle, and is loving around in the background to figure out what's going on. We know, at least, that the writers haven't forgotten 02, or want to ditch it; it's very clear SOMETHING is going on here, and that the inconsistencies feels deliberate.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

The bit about "everyone on Earth getting a digimon" isn't mentioned until the flash forward.

I can't believe people are arguing that 02 didn't happen when 02 characters show up, Hikari and Takeru carry D-3s, Gennai is in his 02 design, and the producers of the film have said repeatedly (as recently as the NHK segment on the show yesterday) that they were going to show how everyone developed into what we saw in the epilogue.

I didn't say "02 didn't happen and clearly isn't going to happen", I said that it very deliberately does not appear to have happened in this timeline. Considering the odd inconsistencies, and Ken being a thing, that's clearly important and will be addressed. Something has happened to change the past, and that will likely be a big thing to resolve.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Covok posted:

What's the definitive best Digimon game?

Cyber Sleuth.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

What a garbage list. Why are the even removing Digimon in the first place? I can't imagine Next Order is so big a game that Digimon need to be removed to make room on the PS Vita card.

Next Order isn't a sequel to Cyber Sleuth, I'm not sure why that list was important. They're probably being handled by different teams with different formats, so they're not just cross compatible. Making recolors is cheaper than making full models, and these models need to be animated to do a lot more overall than in Cyber Sleuth.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I think it would've been better to reduce the Kurata arc and cut some MOTW episodes and devote around 20 episodes to Yggdrasil and the RK.

I think something like Yggdrasil needs a lot more build up over the course of a series than a single arc. Devoting a bunch of episodes would be one thing, but Tamers did it better by having the initial hints dropped early, and then building up through making things more and more dire. In the end though, even that kind of dropped the ball a bit. Digimon series have a bit of an issue with arc separation; amazingly enough, 02 probably did it best with the relatively early introduction of Arukenimon and Mummymon. Granted, it dropped the ball on practically everything else, but that plot thread started early and only ended with the end of the series. Tamers gets up to about somewhere in the late thirties, and suddenly we get told about the D-Reaper. Adventure itself has Etemon, Myotismon, and the Dark Master arcs all essentially out of nowhere. Savers has Yggdrasil and the Knights out of nowhere in their final arc.

Frontier even has its Royal Knights and Lucemon from nowhere. It just seems to be a thing that happens, because these are shounen anime. It's just normal, even if it's a bit weak story-wise.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Is a bootleg Omegamon :v:

We have one of those, he's called Omekamon.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Considering the full title starts with "Digimon Universe", it sounds like this is just a standard case of a spin-off using the original's marketing draw to get up and running. Nothing new for any form of media.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Ethiser posted:

They now have the ability to do what was once thought impossible; kill Leomon twice.

Dude, hold on. They already did that. This would be the third time.

Also, I love that my observation that they're using trinary code has gone from "cool detail" to "important note".

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

It seems simple enough what likely happened to me:

A translation was made of the base text in preparation for the western/Singapore release. The game runs on the same basic assets on each version, probably with a bunch of exposed hooks so they can put on each system's respective executables to latch into and play the assets. The asset pack they used for the Chinese version is the same as they would for a PS4 version in the west, with the flag set to Chinese. The English text is there because they have one asset pack for international release, and they just flip a flag.

The reason they don't release a Vita version here with a simple flag switch or whatever is that it still loving costs money to certify a Vita version here, get it uploaded to the servers here, and go through all the marketing poo poo and patch poo poo for a version that will probably sell three copies, two of them to the same fucker.

It's not complicated at all, it's just business being business.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I just want to see them messing up all the Season 1 villains' plans by knowing what they're gonna try in one long rear end montage.

Fix up Andromon real fast, help him punch the poo poo out of Devimon. Trick Etemon into a battle of the bands with Matt, while quietly freeing Datamon, and then spread rumors that Myotismon is saying they're both pussies while he's still busy getting his army ready, then everyone sits back and watches them fight. Reach Ultimate, then cheat and use pre-existing knowledge and relationships to activate Agumon and Gabumon's Megas, then form Omnimon, and have him just juggle the Dark Masters like toys.

Bring a bunch of super extra large pizzas for Apocalymon and have a kick rear end party with him, get him like a friendship bracelet and a cellphone and put him on Facebook and poo poo.

End with a classic 90s friendship photo freeze frame of them all fishing or something, Apocalymon using his chains to catch Whamon, everyone's laughing.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Onmi posted:

If I may, the books (written by the staff) say that Etemon was a subsidiary of Vamdemon, and they all worked under the Dark Masters, who simply weren't active because they were busy sealing Azulongmon and the others. Apocalymon is just the Beast that lies beyond the Fire Wall who's mere interaction with the world in Etemon's pyramid cracks open a black hole. Because he is destruction incarnate.

How much of those books has been translated, anyway? I remember hearing about them a little while back, and they sound really interesting, but I don't think they were far along in the least.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

If this is in response to things I said earlier in the thread, I feel like I should explain here. At certain points, shipping was, like. Nine tenths of what anyone would focus on. You had people calling Sora an expletive for hooking up with Yamato, the Takeru and Hikari fans who'd twist every character that existed on the periphery (it wasn't just Daisuke, you should see what they said about that French girl Takeru showed an interest in), they'd flat out lie about things that did or didn't get cut in the dub (including a "secret" ending for 02 that had Takeru and Hikari married).

And like, this is still going on. That fake teaser for Part 4 of Tri.? They leaped on it and it ballooned into full blown "news", and the only reason it's not spread further out is that the fandom is a lot smaller now.

It's just... this goes on so long, it becomes makes you extremely fatigued even seeing it. I'll admit I've been overzealous, and I'll stop talking about it after this, but... at the same time, it just creates this sense of weariness. I dunno, I felt like I should just explain what my perspective was. I'm not trying to be a hater, I'm just very very tired.

This is fandom. You can whine and bitch and moan, but this is fandom. You're just getting yourself too close to the poop and trying to bitch that you're almost touching. Stop getting so close to the poop. Fandom will be fandom, no matter where it is. The only reason you would think one is better than the other is that some fandoms have more vocal contingents than others, but every fandom acts the same way because they all tap into the same part of the human social animal. You'll always have stuff like that.

The reason "Rule 34" exists isn't just because "lolz internet", but because that's how things just work. People joke about it, but there are people out there who will get off to something because they feel like they're a part of it, or it makes them a closer part of it. People will make up fake news not just out of hyperbole, but to drum up excitement they can feel a part of. Trolls will always exist, but so will the people who just, right or wrong, feel like they have no other place to belong and fill the voids of loneliness in their hearts with fandoms.

When people get that attached to something, they will defend it, and they will defend it as hard as they loving can. The human animal is not a logical machine, people will get up in arms about the dumbest poo poo, and that's completely loving normal.

If you're tired of fandoms, stop rubbing your face in them. It's not hard, really. If you go to sites for news that are full of fandom junk, stop it. Or gloss over that part and just get the news. Or do your own research instead of relying on the fanboys who just want excitement. If you really care, you can disconnect from a fandom at large and still be up to date.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

ThermoPhysical posted:

Am I missing something? Why is Next World considered a terrible game? Is it just a redo of an existing Digimon game?

The guy was part of an LP of its predecessor, and vehemently hates its style. It's going to be basically a severely updated Digimon World, with a ton of drawbacks due to that style. It's a monster raising game with obtuse requirements, not a standard RPG like Cyber Sleuth.

Basically, it's pretty loving niche.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I now want Wild Arms with Digimon.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

mikeycp posted:

yup. that sure looks like...one of those games...

barf

Dude, we get it, do you have to post this every time it comes up? We've known what Next Order is going to be for a long time now, you don't have to keep acting like it's something you're still getting blindsided with.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

It is on my list. We don't subscribe to Netflix etc as a regular service so I'm waiting for the correct moment to jump on and binge.

The correct moment is now, go find a way to watch Tamers.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I honestly want them to make Cyber Sleuth into an anime series. Slice of life crime solving for Digimon clients. Do it.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

RealFoxy posted:

Are they going to attempt to explain why the Season 2 cast got whooped or why nobody seems very concerned at all that they're even missing?

So far, no, it feels like they're dead and no one cares in any way whatsoever. Hopefully it'll come up sometime in the next two movies, but at this point they were only beaten to thin the cast out some.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I did like how they fit in that the original DDs had a goggle boy.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Burkion posted:

If you say so. I still find it weird how disconnected he is- doesn't seem to care what happened to them with the Reboot at all.

There is literally no other effective narrative reason for them to show him or give him any focus in those scenes at all. If they wanted the only character we knew from those scenes to be Maki, he would have gotten no focus at all, like the other three. Instead we clearly show him with Maki (the only other person with a real emotional connection to her in the series so far), he appears again in a similar position in the later library flashback scene, and he's been established to be intimately familiar with the Digital World.

Him not being concerned with his Digimon is easy to explain: his Digimon, his friend, was not loving killed right in front of him while he was literally possessed by the force that apparently caused it. Instead, his was allowed to evolve to Mega, into one of the supposedly strongest Digimon ever (who then got chumped by the Dark Masters, but ok), apparently was imprisoned, and then released to protect the Digital World again. Before being imprisoned and released to protect the Digital World AGAIN.

We don't know exactly how they left each other, but I'm pretty sure that it's way easier to part with your newly super powered best bud when you're able to at least say goodbye in person. Along with that, we know that the original DDs ended up failing; apparently, Daigo wasn't a good enough goggle boy to activate anime courage and give his team the boost they needed. Instead, Maki was possessed, and gave the four a boost, somehow leaving her best friend out of it. Now, she didn't get to say goodbye, she didn't get to see her best friend become something special, she got to watch him become a blast of energy that seemed to completely loving fail, a sacrifice for absolutely nothing.

Consider how hosed up that probably made her at that age, going through the rest of her life seeing that. However the other DDs got to leave intact, she's the only one who flat out watched her partner die for nothing, after seemingly not being judged good enough. Remember how hosed up Juri was after Leomon died?

Granted, there's an oddity in the fact that this exists: http://wikimon.net/Huanglongmon

Maybe there'll be something done with that later.

Hypocrisy posted:

He's an adult. The only adults still obsessed with Digimon are weirdos.

It's true, we are.

Kurui Reiten fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Mar 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also Tri has been pretty good but it's somewhat slow-paced and the last movie was not as good as the rest. It's still worth a watch, but with two movies to go we don't know if it'll drop the ball by the end.

I would say about 40% of Tri has felt like balls being dropped, despite my still liking it. I think part of the issue is that it's paced as six movies, but we likely won't get any real answers until the last one. It almost feels like they've stretched the last movie or two out, and then rushed the endings, instead of fixing the pacing to feel more natural.