Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

They need to give Mimi her hat back, she looks weird without it. To be fair as far as combat goes, Mimi still as a better track record than Izumi from Frontier at the very least (if only in the sense that Mimi is actually allowed to win on occasion).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

That's some impressive damning by faint praise right there.

Yeah that was probably a bad comparison in retrospect (Izumi literally loses in her debut fight and only gets marginally better from there, and some of that is more due to a team effort rather than individual skill). But to be fair basically everyone not named Takuya or Koji kind of gets shafted in that series (some more than others).

Also yes, Eri is good.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 23, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It should be noted that this movie is not actually called Digimon Quattro (it's just "Digimon Adventure"). Considering some of the first art from the movie was of Tai and Yamato/Matt as adults I'm assuming it's still going to be a sequel though unless they changed their minds mid-production. Hopefully it'll be better than Tri but I still hope they actually do something new with the franchise one of these days.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

Appmon only ended like a year and a half ago.

How long was the gap between Xros Wars Hunters and Appmon again?

Also, yes this movie is still a sequel to Tri. Here's a picture of the main group as adults:

I know it's been gone a while but I miss Mimi's hat.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Assuming they're going to continue on with it, we're about due for a new anime series before long as well.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

END ME SCOOB posted:

What? Oh gently caress me. I was just coming in to ask if I needed to see anything after 02 before jumping into Tri because it was $10 for all of it on Steam today.

I can't refund this, so, uh... I guess the question still stands.

Every season after 02 is a separate continuity with a new cast and setting each time. Tamers, Savers, and Appli Monsters are still worth watching in my opinion though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

END ME SCOOB posted:

Well, yeah, I've been going along with a buddy's podcast, they just started Tamers, I just didn't know if they returned to those original kids between 2 and Tri and I should find that first so I wasn't lost.

(applimon was pretty good)

No, Tri was the first time they ever revisited the Adventure series to my knowledge.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The subtitle makes me think Last Evolution might be another series of films though (also I’m hoping the tagline is meant to be taken literally and we’ll finally be done with the Adventure cast after this).

That said, another sequel taking place during the timeskip at the end of 02 could be interesting.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I assume there’s still no word on a new TV series yet?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cheapsteaks posted:

I hope at some point some of this leads in to a new Digimon anime project that's not straight up related to Adventure, since after how weird Tri was I'm a bit fatigued with that setting. I can get why they keep going back to it, with anniversaries and all and the fact that it is the best way to make money.

Well the title of the new movie(s) seems to imply this is the last of the Adventure cast but we’ll see of course. I’d still like a new series one day though (hell, the most recent two seasons didn’t even get dubs).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Omnicrom posted:

I thought Xros Wars got at least a partial dub? Like, I don't think they covered Young Hunters but is that really a big loss?

I generally just count Hunters as a separate season but yes, the good (or at least better) half of Xros Wars did in fact get dubbed.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Appmon is now legally available on Crunchyroll:

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2019/10/13-1/crunchyroll-adds-digimon-universe-app-monsters

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Did the 02 kids also get recast like the Adventure crew did or are any of their original Japanese VA’s confirmed to be coming back?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

This actually doesn’t look half bad to be honest. Hopefully it’ll be decent (and maybe they’ll actually follow through and give the Adventure crew a break for a while after this, but I’m not holding my breath on that).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Remind me again, is this going to just be a standalone movie or another series of movies like Tri was?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Seiyal posted:

So, this is a bit of a clever way to drop a bit of a bombshell (in regards to news) but with the announcement of the one night event airing for Kizuna (subbed) in theaters, there's a bonus in the special features section of the posting.

The Fathom Events page for Kizuna

Along with an exclusive interview about the movie, there's a trailer listed for a new Digimon TV series.

Some details on this new series seem to have come out and it’s....more Digimon Adventure:

https://withthewill.net/threads/22864-New-Digimon-series-is-Digimon-Adventure

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Odd title, so how exactly do you pronounce “:”?

As for the show itself, I guess there's still a chance this could turn out decently and it's nice to finally get a new TV show after all these years but literally all Toei's done on the anime side of things since Appmon ended is revisit Adventure. I have to imagine that even the most diehard of fans would start to get bored of that after a while.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 18, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I wonder if this means some of the old VAs will be brought back or if they’ll just continue to stick with the cast from the recent movies.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

I forgot about her. That's actually a pretty big one to replace since that's, you know, the main character of the show.

Taichi was voiced by Megumi Han in a PSP game from a while back so it’s possible that she may wind up reprising the role in this series as well.

Edit: Nevermind, that was Takeru/TK

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Translated plot summary for Digimon Adventure Colon (or however you’re supposed to say the name of the new series):

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

While I really wish they’d do something new with this franchise one day (or at least, give some love to a series that isn’t Adventure for a change) I’m at least hoping that the Adventure reboot series coming out in a few months turns out to be decent at any rate.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Well I didn’t really see anything I recognized from the original (not counting the characters of course) and there was even a shot of Agumon fighting what appeared to be some new Digimon. So I guess this series is more of a reboot than a straight remake.

Despite being yet more Adventure related content this could potentially be decent if handled right. We’ll see of course.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

I'm a little concerned that we only see Agumon, but it sure as hell looks better than what we know about Last Evo.

To be fair, it’s a promo trailer and he’s basically the lead Digimon of the series. I’m sure the others will pop up eventually.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1235755008714518530
https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1235755011746996224

They haven't changed much beyond clothes and even in that some are extremely similar. Points to Takeru for carrying his dub name on his cap though.

Works for me, I’ve missed Mimi’s hat.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

Just read through the Xros Wars manga, was overall pretty good but man you can tell it was rushed as hell

Is it still better than the anime version at least?

Also out of curiosity did Appmon ever get a manga? And if so has any of it been translated?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So does every Digimon season have its own manga version? And if so, are the others any good?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

New trailer for the reboot, now with voice acting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dzXKkcx5RE&t=0s

It appears that the DIgimon will retain their usual VAs (except Gatomon who is now played by Mie Sonozaki) while the kids will have entirely new ones.

Taichi - Yuko Sanpei
Yamato - Daisuke Namikawa
Sora - Ryoko Shiraishi
Koshiro - Yumiko Kobayashi
Mimi - Marika Kouno
Jou - Takeshi Kusou
Takeru - Megumi Han
Hikari - Misaki Watada

An interesting mix of veterans and newcomers.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 17, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

I genuinely don't get Toei's weird need to keep changing the Adventure VAs. It made some sense in Tri since everyone was older but even there barely since several already had VAs more than capable of giving them older voices, now we have a full change despite being the kids who could have their VAs sans the...two that died and one that retired, if I remember correctly.

Well technically Megumi Han already voiced Takeru in a PSP game from a while back but otherwise agreed.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Takeru has four VAs already, I'm glad they aren't giving him a fifth, that'd be overkill. Then again, if he got a sixth, he'd have a full evolution line of VAs, so maybe this is a wasted opportunity.

There's absolutely nothing fresh about Adventure.

There’s the one from Adventure, the one from Tri, and the current one. Who’s the fourth?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of which I forget, will his Tri VA be reprising their role in Last Evolution?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And speaking of voice actors the new narrator is Masako Nozawa.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 17, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Omnicrom posted:

I believe you mean "Guilmon", considering the thread.

I’d actually forgotten she voiced Guilmon as well, good catch.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Like all Dragon Ball voice debates, the only right choice is the Latin American VA, so Mario Castañeda is the best Goku. Or was, anyways, dude's really old at this point and can't shout as he used to, but he had the best Goku moments until age caught up to him.

I genuinely cannot understand how Masako Nozawa still screams as well as she did when the series started considering her age. Her lungs are absurd.

Yeah, I believe Nozawa is in her 80’s now and still hasn’t lost a beat when it comes to playing Goku. That’s pretty impressive to be honest.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

02. Takeru's VA has been changed in every series he's been in to date.

I was wrong anyways. He has had five VAs so far, not four, I forgot he gets the narrator's voice for the 02 epilogue. Should've given him a new one here too so he could have the full evolution line!

Actually he did have six, he was voiced by Syoko Kikuchi in the Adventure movie.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nobody ever dubbed Young Hunters or Appmon (in the US that is) so there’s no guarantee that the new season will get one either. We’ll see of course.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of which, has the first episode aired/gone up on Crunchyroll yet? If so, how is it?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Haven’t gotten around to watching it yet, how’s the reboot so far?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Really good animation as well and despite featuring a lot of the same characters it still feels enough like it’s own thing. So yeah, that was a pleasant surprise and I hope things continue to improve from here.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

Appmon only gets better as it goes along. The show ends up being in my top three of all Digimon series.

This. Also (in my opinion at least) Eri’s probably one of the best female protagonists we’ve had in this franchise since Rika from Tamers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Just two episodes in and this is already better than anything Adventure related they’ve put out in years (maybe even including 02).

I also like that this is basically a new show despite featuring familiar characters. Hopefully they’ll be able to keep this up but for now I am fully onboard with this.