Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Lore about Digimon is about as relevant to the franchise as the lte about Pokemon and makes about as much sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Endorph posted:

The Tamers dub was a big step up from the Adventure dubs.

One big problem with the Adventure dubs is that they seemed to be absolutely terrified of letting a moment be silent, even if it was silent in the JP version. Everyone was constantly chattering, yapping, tossing out jokes - there's no pauses for comedic or dramatic effect, except, like, once.

The music didn't help, it was all loud and poorly used. The Adventure Dubs weren't bad, not at all, but I can at least see why someone would prefer the original VA over that.

That's just a general problem with American children's media. It's not supposed to be dramatic or serious and any pause is seen as a break in the action or comedy.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Xros Wars and Young Hunters definitely aren't the in the running for the best Digimon series, but they're not really at the bottom either. There is some cast focus problems but that's not really anything new, particularly when the Digimon on the team are given as much spotlight as they were in Tamers. If the protagonists in Young Hunters were a little less insufferable, it'd probably go a long way to improving it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Astro Nut posted:

The various series do have minor ship tease moments, like the angry couple scene in Savers, and Olegmon calling Nene Taiki's girlfriend, stuff like that. But as said, minor stuff, usually just for the occasional gag more than anything else, which can also just be read as kids being awkward because kids.

I'd be honestly surprised if Tri particularly wanted to delve too deep on that sort of thing, but then, you never know.

Minervamon X Beelzemon OTP

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Montegoraon posted:

Well, yes and no. The key point was that Ryo's mortal foe, Millenniumon, was the origin of the dark spore that made Ken a super genius and also turned him evil (as well as presumably manipulating his memory). The implication being that driving Ken to create Chimeramon, a precursor to Millenniumon, was the spore trying to recreate his old body. Which would have been an instant game over.

Millenniumon is one of my favorite digimon villains, because he's just so audaciously outrageous. He's the one who released Apocalymon from behind the fire wall, resulting in the events of season one. Then, as a follow-up act, he caused most of the events of season two, with nothing more than fragments of himself that he cast off as he was "dying." Malomyotismon was just cribbing off of the power left over by his corpse, except he wasn't even dead. He's seemingly unkillable, far beyond the norms for digital life.

So Ryo was basically part of a season to season metaplot that occurred through material outside of the series that never developed into its own?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kurui Reiten posted:

Oh, the outside materials definitely explain the entire thing. I just hadn't seen the original version of Our War Game or any of Revenge of Diaboromon until recently. I found it funny how these two Digimon, whom I remember being top tier and secret in a bunch of games and such, had fight scenes that boiled down to "Destroys literally thousands of Megas, then gets chumped by a single one later" and "fight starts, single face stab, fight over".

Welcome to jobbing. It's like I'm really watching a tokatsu series!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kuroyama posted:

Mods, requesting a name change to KNIFE OF DAY.

The edge of that name is razor sharp.

Just finished it.

The damnedest thing is absolutely no one mentioning the 02 cast. There's no mention at all. It's strange and a bit awful. It's clear that there are other digidestined in the world (I dunno what the literal translation of whatever they used was) given Takeru on the website, but no mention o the others. Poof!

I guess Takeru's finally old enough to realize the social costs of all of that monster fighting in the city that they've been doing and it's left him a feeling a lack of courage. Jou's totally absent from the movie for the most part. Izzy (forgot his japanese name) is a loving genius and must be loaded now. Also, his mom still buys his clothes. Tailmon's voice is super jarring since I've never heard the original before.

New character and their digimon are the targets of the digimon bad guys and the human organization it seems. I really dislike that plot development. I feel like this would've been better if it was paced as a two cour rather than as six movies broken up into 24 episodes.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Twiddy posted:

Yeah the weirdest part of watching Digimon Tri was getting used to the JP voices and the lack of DIGIMON DIGITAL MONSTERS DIGIMON ARE THE CHAMPIONS everywhere. Reminds me of when I tried to watch Digimon Tamers JP and the lack of nostalgic camp made it less enjoyable for me.

At least it's been so long since I saw Digimon that I completely forgot most of the characters' names so I didn't care that they called Matt Yamato, as an example.

Agumon sounded exactly like how a lizard monster might sound like. Gatomon Tailmon sounded like what her evolution would sound like except in the form of a toy cat. That was the most jarring to me. Seeing the American names for the Digimon alongside the Japanese names for the characters seemed a bit inconsistent. The character names were relatively close to their dub counterparts (if not unchanged) except for Izzy's

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'd watch it

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

My-oh-tis-mon

Milo-and-Otis-mon

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Subs for the Digimon Last Adventure film are out and it's certainly a Digimon movie.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

Last Evolution is the stupid answer to a question nobody asked

And one that doesn't even fit with the original epilogue they made up way back in 02.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Burkion posted:

Also Goddamn the animators love Tentomon and his evolutions

Bugs are cool and Izzy was always the third main protagonist after Taichi and Yamato.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

Who'd even dub Digimon : anyway? I thought Saban finaly retired and the setup they have/had for Tri/LE was not suited to TV dubbing.

Dubbing is basically a separate question of airing now because of online streaming. Funimation still does dubbing as does at least one other company, but it's basically for their own services rather than being licensed out for broadcast.

Burkion posted:

Where would it even air? That's the awkward question. Anime doesn't tend to get picked up like it used to- it's all adult swim or Toonami generally.

Mind I'm saying that like I actually watch TV anymore or have watched TV in the last decade.

This is sorta the decade where niche stuff like anime which already had awful margins finally got largely shuffled off to streaming. CN via [as] via Toonami is pretty much the last bastion of broadcast anime save maybe for some very small or obscure channels that exist only in certain markets or in the weird parts of the satellite TV listings

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
We've got a long way to go with this series at least as it's meant to be 66 episodes (5 cours) so while the pacing has felt a little bit wonky pushing out all of the Adult and Perfect forms as quickly as possible, I think we're finally gonna get to actually have them get some proper interaction with each other.

Or they'll just show off more digimon. Either/or.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Oct 4, 2020

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Here's the new ending. It has significantly less effort put into it than the last one, with a bunch of still shots and very little animation, which is disappointing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdQwCfi90DE

Otoh, it's a very cute and comfy ED and it's good for that

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The toy commercial is reaching the final third(?) or third quarter of its journey.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Oh so we're not even halfway. Goddamn. If the next dozen or so episodes are for the Megas for everyone, what the hell is the back half gonna be?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

We have our preview for Break the Chain, the new insert song, and it's just as good as the ones before. Adventure: does a lot wrong, but man, it does not miss when it comes to battle songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYI8Eq8o8cc

Merchandise is where the money is and music is definitely a key component for merch.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

Yeah but at the end of the day no one's going to want your merch if they don't like the show

The principal audience for this is nominally still children, just reused with the Adventure cast for nostalgia bucks (and allows them to reuse some old assets for merch that they might've had lying around). It definitely doesn't breathe enough, but I can see how it'd keep an 8 year old boy entertained long enough from week to week to make them want toys or pencil cases or w/e of the stuff they saw.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

I'm about four episodes from being totally caught up now. They really did just drop "And Joe escaped the hotsprings, by accident, off-screen" huh? I wonder if that episode was cut because of COVID. Really wanted to know exactly what was with the growing Nanimon population

just buff digimon dudes who love hot springs

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
For those unaware of what Betsumon looks like

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

girl dick energy posted:

It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the loving bulge.

it's 200% this.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

girl dick energy posted:

I tweaked Betsumon.

Should've added a camel toe

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Sleeping Sigma posted:

Everyone's favorite mememon is getting a card in the new booster. I love it's design so much. It's ears/horns are little revolvers.

Americamon

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I’m not so sure we’re getting a continuation of the reboot given how it’s been received, but who knows.

It's all basically: How much toys did it push

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Endorph posted:

But people acting like he went on some rant about how he hates minorities are being ridiculous.

He was saving that for the sequel

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It's up thread or on a previous page I think

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

dbzfandiego posted:

The thing with this right wing stuff in the modern age is that the longer you are mired in it, the worse it gets there is a clear pipeline of radiclazation and I get the feeling people are reacting to how bad this can all become in not a lot of time, even now what we are seeing here is not a good sign.

Even if it isn't radicalization towards American RW crankery, crank magnetism being what it is, it's not unlikely that he'd start falling into some kind of crankery that's adjacent to the one(s) that he's currently into

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://twitter.com/bunannart/status/1422700143447527427?s=20

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So everyone who had him pegged the first time ended up being right, lmao.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Larryb posted:

Not a bad episode, Ruri (or is it Ruli?) has potential but isn’t quite there yet in my opinion (she’s fairly prominent in the OP though so that could be a good sign in terms of how much focus she’s going to get).

Dracumon sounded familiar, any idea who voices him in this series (his first line sounded a little like Masako Nozawa but that changed once he started talking more)? Seems like he’s going to be something of a reoccurring villain at least.

Of the three digimon that's been encountered and defeated, only Mummymon seems to have seen the light in not causing trouble (at least not in mummifying people) while Clockmon and Dracumon have both sworn revenge. So I'm relatively confident that they'll all show up for a round 2 of sorts when the team gets the ability to send digimon back to the shadow realm Digital World

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

The best anime episode about a dog chasing his tail.

Also a neat little piece of world building with the info network community that Angoramon is part of

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The scene with Gammaon and the manjuu was extremely painful. Gammamon is basically a 5yo and having to explain death to someone that young seems downright impossible and also a shortcut to tugging at my heart.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Geostomp posted:

The show really does seem intent of using the sheer menace of the random digimon to make up for the current lack of overarching plot in these early episodes. Still, they are using a lot of powerful Digimon so soon, meaning that they plot villains will really have to step up the threat level since Ultimates will be old hat by the point they show up at this pace.

A lot of the Ultimates they show aren't necessarily beaten. Generally they're just driven back enough to listen to reason or flee and that's sufficient enough for the team

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

1st Stage Midboss posted:

Adventure: definitely had its moments, and it's not surprising that they'd want to dub it since a 67-episode show in a proven franchise is probably an easy sell. Now it's over, it feels like a show very suited to running in repeats forever on TV - you could change the channel to whoever's airing it, catch an random episode or two, and enjoy them as much as if you'd seen every episode.

This week's Ghost Game, on the other hand, was possibly my favourite episode of the show so far. The atmosphere of threat and dread it built up was brilliant, and the story was interesting too.

The ending was kinda silly but it's pretty par for the course for this series.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

Gammamon on a roomba might be the cutest thing ever.

Gammamon is the most perfect little boy and he should always be protected.

Captainhookmon x Petermon is definitely yaoi doujinshi material

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
TIL Bogleech has an article series on Digimon

https://bogleech.com/digimon/d000intro.html

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

The most unbelievable part of this image is that Gammamon would understand the rules of a card game and wouldn't just try to eat the cards.

Guillomon and Agumon (if Taichi's) would definitely also eat the cards. V-mon wouldn't eat them, but he'd also not know how to play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The telegraphing of ice in the beginning of the episode was relatively obvious though the solution of how they were able to freeze Splashmon wasn't quite what i was expecting