Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
...Wait, Cyber Sleuth is a sequel? As in, actual universe sequel, or gameplay wise?

Because I'll admit, the DS games had perhaps one of the more interesting variants on the general setting - in that humans are already aware of the digital world, and in varying scales, creating a settlement - but it was very clearly limited by a lack of scope and budget. I know some of Cyber Sleuth's details overlap, but I hadn't thought it might go that far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

It's not an in-universe sequel, I don't think. If anything, it's probably a sequel to Re:Digitize due to the presence of an actual character from that game.

It's a sequel in that it uses the same gameplay mechanics.

Gotcha. I was curious since I know Re:Digitize was effectively a remake of Digimon World, but primarily in how it built the battling and levelling system, rather than the main plot and story details. I'll confess to actually being quite preferable to DS' system - if it weren't for the sheer amount of grinding you have to go through to make it work, I'd actually call it one of the best around for a franchise like Digimon. Anything is viable with it.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

My bets personally are that it'll be either a fully canonical 'interquel' series, detailing what happened after Myotismon was defeated, but prior to the reunion several years later, or that it'll form some kind of alternate timeline that follows maybe some but not all of the canon that's been established. A bit like how the two 02 films themselves vaguely fit the mold of what the series had established up to the respective points they came out, but its rather to precisely label how and where the heck they're supposed to be able to fit in canon.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

I significantly doubt it'll be an interquel, given Taichi is explicitly older than he was in 02

EDIT - oh wait, I completely misread you. sorry.

No worries, admit it was a bit weird a way to put things.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Hoping for the same so that it means we see a world where Digimon are commonplace. Have their 2005 be technologically similar to our 2015 thanks to literally having pet data.

IIRC one of the production crew was behind the Persona 4 anime and another is directing the Persona 3 movie, so i'm guessing we're gonna get something somewhat similar, the cast all dealing with a mostly normal real world where strange stuff happens thanks to everyone having Digimon.

That's where the 'similar but not quite' aspect of things could get especially interesting.

See, one of the plot points of 02 that I liked, though I think wasn't properly executed upon, was the whole idea of more and more children around the world getting partner digimon. That's something substantive and potentially transforming on a social level, but the story is mostly after the fact in terms of any of the new digidestined actually meeting their partners, and having to overcome the issues of responsibility, friendship, and all the other stuff that the original 7 mainly had time for because they got stuck in another world and had little else to do. If Tai has to be some ambassador between humans and the digital world, I'd much rather see it in the capacity of having to seek out and tackle situations where someone has gained their partner and may not know entirely how to handle it, rather than... going to the UN on the behalf of an entire alternate plane.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

I dunno man. But it got the best ratings, the most tie in merchandise, made the most money.

If I had to make a guess? The series was extremely toyetic with much more to advertise to kids, and being the sequel series, landed at a point where you both had fans of the original willing to coast on through, but also the first new wave of fans who would have started with 02 and thus didn't have Adventure for an original point of comparison. In the west, Saban had its proven winner in Adventure and thus would have been willing to promote the new series hard as well, compared to later series - some of which didn't even get released in all the usual markets (Frontier didn't freaking air here in the UK). In a way, though the franchises didn't actually compete as much as some fans would like to think, its much of what happened with Pokemon getting Gold and Silver. The first title proved successful, thus the sequel was pushed with many having hype and interest up due to little or no prior disappointment established in the franchise beforehand, and the reputation of the first game courted new players. Where Gold and Silver managed to secure Pokémon's throne, taking everything the first generation did and improving upon it for a result that is widely regarded as one of the best sequel releases of all time, 02 soured many people's trust in the franchise, making it harder to convince them to hang around for the subsequent releases. Its like how its not so much the first good impression that's important, but rather, the second. The second is what guarantees consistency - and without that, it becomes harder to put in certainty.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

02 is on the low range of my seasonal favourites, but I do still have some fond memories, and can remember distinct moments that really did appeal. At the very least, it had a number of good concepts behind it that, even if not always properly executed, still occasionally showed their strengths. What if a digidestined used their powers for evil? What if people around the world starting gaining digimon en masse? Wouldn't there possibly be factions outside the heroes and whatever the current main villain is?

At the very least, the Magnamon fight has never left me. I really do like how they never invoked that again past the one time - which considering how it still lingers as one of the more popular digimon from that time, is surprising restraint on their point.

Frontier is a mixed bag for me. Personally, I feel its introductory episode is one of the strongest in the franchise, and much of what follows also fairly good, but as mentioned its weighed down by an increased creep towards over-emphasizing the red and blue duo, starting with kill stealing in people's own spotlight episodes, to rendering the rest of the cast effectively cheerleaders whilst they go fight. Add in the frustration that the Royal Knights arc tends to amount to - I can appreciate the concept of this nigh-unstoppable foe, but still - and its a noticeable drag towards the end. Which is weird especially considering that they had more than enough lore to work with to give all the main cast upgrades - which thankfully, they learnt from for Savers. Man, Savers was awesome, even if sometimes too limited by it budget, but it starts getting... odd, after a while. Like, you can tell that its the series where they trying to more deliberately tap in the various ranges of lore that Digimon had, beyond piecemeal or spontaneously created chunks, but you can also feel a lack of a full committal on stuff. The Demon Lords are established, and even one of them shown to be a massive threat, but none of the others appear. The Royal Knights turn up a more complete group, and in the actual function of the Royal Knights, but there's notable absences among the group. And of course, Yggdrasil, god of the digital world, who... apparently isn't actually that important to running the place in the end (though admittedly I think only the Next manga has actually tried to carry some weight with that).

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Anyone has read V-tamer? By far my favorite story on the whole franchise, Taichi is such a great tamer and Zero is on of the best digimon parters.

Man, V-Tamer. I loved reading that, and occasionally go back to it. Its flawed, sure, but when it got going, it was...

100% awesome! (I'm sorry).

Also I just realised, but isn't the Olympus Twelve complete now? That feels like one of most interesting plot possible concepts that the franchise has had but never particularly done anything major with.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

we have all thirteen now.

In order of introduction:

Omegamon
Magnamon
Dukemon
LordKnightmon
Dynasmon
UlforceV-dramon
Alphamon
Craniummon
Sleipmon
Examon
Duftmon
Gankoomon
Jesmon

likewise they finished up the Olympus Twelve. There are no more extant digimon groups to reveal other than the particulars of the Crack Team.

Man, now I want a SMT-esque story with a conflict between the Royal Knights and the Seven Great Demon Lords, with the Olympus Twelve as the neutral party that could tip the balance of power, if they could be courted.

Edit: On the Demon Lord matter, I apologise if I may have given the wrong impression from being a bit too succinct. Whilst I still feel that maybe there was an opportunity they could have to use them more (especially considering the video games of the time do use the idea, so it must have been floating around Bandai at the time), of the various lore aspects that Savers taps into, its certainly the one handled best. There's a definite weight to how its treated - maybe that's why they just stuck to the one, rather than how the games spewed them out as just a set of boss fights.

And I'll admit, I may be misremembering on Yggdrasil. The last few episodes didn't leave the strongest of impressions, so if I'm wrong on how the final battle ultimately played out, sorry.

Astro Nut fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Dec 28, 2014

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

So out of curiosity, anyone know why the different languages of Digimon are treated on Netflix as separate 'shows'? Its because of actual changes to the content and editing in the dub, rather than just being, well, a dub as you would get today?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah, Digimon as far as Bandai is concerned is the bit that's Tamagotchi for boys, with the anime and video games extraneous to that - however useful they may be to induce a sales surge or get some outside help in getting new ideas to market. From what I understand, the first series was only meant to be a 13-episode show, which is a standard model Japan has for things, including decent selling but not massively popular manga. Its just that in Digimon's case, the sales surge was so drat good that Bandai ordered new stuff made to keep it going. Then when things died down again, they got iffy about funding for the anime, whilst still putting out a bunch of new digivice models. Same thing happened with Xros Wars on a shorter notice - its ratings tapered off towards the end, but combined with toy sales, were enough to warrant renewal.

And then Hunters happened.

We'll see how things go with Try.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

Uhhhh, no. The thing about Adventure only being 13 episodes originally is complete fiction. It was always a year long series.

Well, nevermind me then. :doh:

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

I'll admit, much of my dislike for Young Hunters probably wouldn't be as strong as its own thing, and I do half wonder if there was some greater idea that they were hoping to build up to that then had to be cut short when neither ratings or merchandise sales were good enough to keep the show going (Edit: Plus, I did briefly forget, just being a stop gap for another show). But given how it ends, I can't help but intrinsically feel for what could have been, and thus as a result, it ends up really disappointing. Like, I get, need to establish Tagiru and co as their own dynamic first, but having no real appearances by the returning casts (that mid-series teaser does not freaking count, and reeks of a half assed apology, from what I remember) until the very end, and to a minimal degree at that, was a major misstep on both the promises made external of the show, but just in general for any character interaction and development - particularly Tagiru's. The show needed something that could really say 'Yes, this kid deserves to stand as a top peer among heroes who've already saved the world', and... I never really got, that from him. Then again, given the series that followed, and other products from the company, Toei having issues with meeting its own hype isn't without precedent.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah, Dawn/Dusk should cover you there through sheer volume, though be warned that you will be going through a lot of grinding. On the other hand, that grinding is part of a levelling system that basically lets anything be a viable option, so that slightly balances it out.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Red Bones posted:

How are the Japanese versions of the films they cut together to make the digimon movie? That's probably the only digimon thing I watched when I was younger that I'd rewatch now.

Wouldn't know with regards to the third one, but the first two overall play better in the Japanese, from how the dub generally approached trying to be 'witty', or tried (and failed) at plot narration and arc welding, with the bonus of the soundtrack being less American Summer Adventure due to the lack of pop songs that for some reason was a bit of a thing around the late 90s/turn of the Millennium. Mind you, there are more than a few moments that I think the dub works more than the original, but I suspect is due to various biases based on not only the show, but also given I'm a Brit. Omega/Omnimon's birth for example: In the japanese version, its an angelic choir, probably meant to invoke the idea of a sudden divine intervention - ie, it is literally deus ex machina. In the english version, its a rising orchestra, building towards a climax as a new champion rises to face the foe, playing on familiar tunes to seem bigger than ever. Whilst I can appreciate the former, the latter works for me more, a heroic turnaround after the movie had previous beaten the poo poo out of WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon, kind of like the cherry on top of the franchise at the time. And I mean, really, that has to be the moment most fans remember the best.

Though for the life of me, I wish I could find the rendition of the digimon theme they used during the fight between Greymon and Parrotmon. Its not the rap, and its not the normal version either since there's bits of orchestra in it, but goddamn I love how they put it to the scene. The tone is certainly quite different to the original, but I think it works more, for me, having viewed it after the fact as an origins episode. It fits as kinda where the story of the franchise really 'begins', what with it being how the digidestined were chosen.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

I have an odd affection for the german versions of the songs, though I can understand them about as well as the japanese ones.

Re: Rival duo centricism, the likely answer to me would be that's its because its a trope present in shonen in general. The main character gets to be amazingly powerful because, well, main character, whilst the rival character is also given that in order to keep up and seem like a worthy counterpart. The problem for digimon though is that such a setup largely goes against the overall format - where all the main cast are supposed to be special/the chosen ones/whatever, and for the majority of a given show, will have their shot and (typically) end each arc on an equal footing - so it ends up just jarring then when parts of the group start getting excluded later on.

Edit: ^ I think they mean from Frontier onwards in english, in which case, could be. I mean, Disney weren't able to get the rights for the original Power Rangers theme for Operation Overdrive despite otherwise owning the franchise, so could be down to the transition.

Astro Nut fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 6, 2015

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

To me it always seemed like the Dark World/World of Darkness was meant to basically be the digimon equivalent of hell, since such a concept is otherwise lacking in a setting where one is either reincarnated or just permanently gone, and yet still borrows a heap of stuff from Abrahamic lore. It certainly fits a (broad) description: A place far removed from the light, with the power (and seeming drive) to corrupt goodness, and failing that, drag them right in. It even fits in the 'hell is a prison' motif at one point, with Demon having been thrown into it because its otherwise so disconnected that he wouldn't make a comeback any time soon.

Heck, maybe that's what Tri will be about.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Some info from tri has appeared in the Otomedia issue from February. Quoting Bokutachi no Digital World (with some grammar corrections):

"The 8 chosen children will meet at the beginning of the story, the hint for the new anime in overall is hidden in the monologue at the end of last episode of Digimon Adventure 02. How to fix the issues between Digimon and humans when they are quickly getting closer?"

It's definitely an interesting premise, I hope that it delivers. I'm quite a bit more interested in tri now than before.

That sounds like an interquel then - or at least, based in that kind of time period. But yeah, its the easiest and most logical plot idea to come up with out of the whole scenario, since you've got creatures that can one minute look like a stuffed toy, and then the next, can look like a giant monster capable of levelling a metropolitan area. Its basically the scenario that Hypnos tried to avoid the entire time in Tamers.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Didn't include him since he didn't get to do all that much, but yeah, that was awesome.

I was thinking of something more serious with our modern society's struggles relating to technology being augmented by Digimons (like, say, when trying to fight back against oppressing police force not only would people make stuff viral among all that have digivices they'd rally with actual digimons to fight back that injustice, and companies trying to make people distrust digimons and all that communication and easy travelling they provide while other companies try to make digimons a way to earn money) but gently caress that, Shenglongmon with dress pants duct taped to him as he floats outside the ONU with his head sticking into the building.

Another aspect of this, used somewhat for Savers, could be the notion of the Digimon reacting to potential human colonisation of the Digital World. Like, its easy to tolerate a dozen kids running around every few years, but suddenly there's several million humans who might decide they want a prime piece of real estate on File Island.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

Yeah. Didn't they have the whole Data -> Virus -> Vaccine triangle? Pretty much all the partner digimon are Data types which are naturally weak to Virus types (the entire Devimon evo line, Piedmon, Puppetmon, etc.) and Angemon/Gatomon were the only Vaccine types in the team. So, yeah, it was a mix of Angemon being strong for a Champion and getting a natural edge against 90% of the big bads due to typing.

I mean, they also treated Andromon like a loving powerhouse. He was a Champion holding off Megas in the second half of Adventure.

Edit: Oh. I remember him being a Champion. Shows what I know. :shrug:

To be fair, I'm not sure the notion of him being a level higher as solidly in stone at the time - the same way Whamon has shifted about a bit.

But yeah, whilst the typing of the digimon wasn't a detail that wasn't strictly adhered to (and even less so outside the anime), I think it was one of those things that the writers might have had as a small influence. The episode where they use the cards to get back home does establish (if loosely) the concept of three attributes being a key factor in determining how a digimon works, and virus in particular having a tendency towards evil. But beyond that, they certainly don't rely on it (especially, I imagine, since it would kinda put a damper on having a new evolution show up if it was still at a disadvantage against its first foe).

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Those would be Super Ultimate/Ultra digimon, though the term is used sparingly and not to all the cases that really should count.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Gotta say, Agumon looks even more top heavy than before.

Beyond that though, has anyone translated the text yet?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

You know what's up.

I'm really curious about Izzy in Tri, he and Joe are falling in that poster and Izzy's egg is the last one to be hatched. You could go with Gatomon's egg and nobody would care, she was the last one after all, but the fact that they chose Izzy and went the order of Tai>Matt>Joe, TK and Kari>Sora and Mimi>Izzy tells me there's probably a meaning to the order.
Maybe Izzy ends up a villain in some way?

I think its just because the two are seen as the 'odd' ones, so of course they somehow mucked up falling dramatically.

Something I only just got myself though is that they're all wearing uniforms respective to their current education. Joe's still off doing his own medical school thing, so dark blue, Matt, Sora, Tai, Mimi, and Izzy get a light blue for high school, and Kari and TK are still (probably only just) in middle school, so they're wearing the same green that Tai and the others had back in 02.

Its small, but that's a neat touch.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

"Digimon are the champions."

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Drashin posted:

I remember growing up with the first three seasons of Digimon and Tamers is probably my favorite part of the franchise. However can anyone explain to me what the Digital Hazard actually is? The only thing about it that I can remember that was explained in Tamers was that Megidramon was its avatar and that its existence could destroy the Digital World but than after Gallantmon appears it seems to be forgotten about.

Its more of a general warning/term than a a specific power, I think, compared to say, the X-Antivirus. Ie, if a digimon exists its code is branded with the mark because it is either is or has the potential to be an inherently destructive force - so the way a real life hazardous mark is put on containers of say, toxic waste. Megidramon - and thus the line Guilmon line that can lead to him - is one such inherent force. so they get the mark. He might as well be the digimon embodiment of the end of the world, since he's a reference to Har Megiddo, or the site of the final battle as according to the Book of Revelation.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

The various series do have minor ship tease moments, like the angry couple scene in Savers, and Olegmon calling Nene Taiki's girlfriend, stuff like that. But as said, minor stuff, usually just for the occasional gag more than anything else, which can also just be read as kids being awkward because kids.

I'd be honestly surprised if Tri particularly wanted to delve too deep on that sort of thing, but then, you never know.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Burkion posted:

One thing that never made as much sense to me- so in season 1, Digivolution was presented as an entirely natural age thing.

Which makes sense. They go from Baby, to Child, to Adult. Only a few rare powerful Digimon in season 1 ever went Perfect, and you basically had to break the system to go Ultimate.

Gatomon, due to her harsher life, evolved naturally the same as Leomon and the like, while the regular 7 just chilled out and didn't do a whole lot, until the kids came in and all that happened.

So shouldn't Agumon and co be in their adult stage of life pretty well permanently now? This is years later

I'd probably say the original time gap between the human and digital worlds would be the reason - especially with the time the partner digimon have spent outside it. Where before they might have originally been on the fast track to say, 150, now they're 'just' 87 or whatever, with the seven having come about from their time with the digidestined, to use a hastily constructed analogy and thus should not be taken as an actual estimate of their ages.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Its honestly just a retcon to help smooth over maintaining the series status quo for several dozen more episodes after they had written out the control spires. Like, after those went bust, they could've just as easily said that original 8 minus T.K. and Kari were off in different parts of the digital world, and thus just not around for the action. Or have Black WarGreymon, since he's made of the freaking things, emit some kind of similar effect so that he suppresses the previous evolution methods. Bam, you have a reason for creating a new method, and the previous cast out of the way to let the new people still shine.

That in a way raises one of the interesting questions about Tri: Since its about the original cast, will they really keep the full digivolution set, or hit the reset button so they can have them go through the standard character development again?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Personally I find that, once you do know his story, Ryo is problematic for the franchise, but its almost something that really couldn't be helped. He's an OG character made for a video game, so of course he's gotta be able to bend the rules a little in order for him to be able to fit at all. And to be fair, from what I can recall of it, his first game wasn't that crazy, mostly rehashing characters from the show for Ryo to smash through in order to fight the new villain - pretty basic tie in stuff.

But then he sold well, and there was a need and demand to continue 'his' story. And his story, had it not been done through video games, would have stuck out like an absolute sore thumb because its utterly centred around him, and escalates massively to make his story (and more emphatically, the player's) ever more special. Like, tough poo poo digidestined, you may have been the ones to defeat everything else in the franchise by that point, but you're just not strong enough to face Millenniumon, so let's have Ryo do it instead. Oh and he was secretly Veemon's original partner, Ken's close friend before he became evil, the gods of the digital world make a whole secret tournament to test his strength, and then he gets to discover the origins of the digital world which will be subsequently ignored by every other incarnation of the franchise.

I'm honestly glad that managed to restrain themselves when making him outright appear in Tamers, and give him a backstory that was just kinda incidental to that setting. Like, he's just kinda trying to deal with controlling his partner more than anything else before the others give him some plot direction. Don't think I would have tolerated finding out his actual backstory in the show itself.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Its mostly because, I'd say, their particular personality traits compliment each other more than they conflict. Tai and Matt are both head strong and stubborn, the main difference is that Tai is quite vocal with his views whilst Matt typically only responds to provocation (such as Tai being an idiot). Izzy lacks the kind of charisma Tai just naturally has, but he's a strong intellectual base for Tai to lean on when he needs support and information when making a plan. When you wanted to figure out how to get something honestly done on the show, then those two were your best bet for it.

Edit: Heck to give a similar comparison from the same company (albeit muuuuuch later), look at Kamen Rider W. Same kinda smart guy/proactive guy dynamic.

Astro Nut fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 24, 2015

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

So am I insane or the dude shown on the preview looks like a jogress between Alphamon and Omegamon?

I'd say that maybe its Alphamon in a slightly more stylised look than usual, but a DNA evolution wouldn't be so farfetched. After all, the characters are thematically linked anyway, and the game has made clear that Omni/Omegamon is an important NPC otherwise.

In general it looks to be similar to Tamers and Savers' second halves, if not combining the two whilst adding a dosage of SMT. A digital invasion of the real world driven by (whether fleeing from or wrongly thinking innocent humans to be responsible for) a non-standard digital entity that threatens to destroy everything.

For some reason we've also got thematically black and white macguffin girls, the former at least gets captured at some point and made to remind us that the artist has his fetishes.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

In the meantime, a subbed playthrough is going up on Youtube, so for those who can't wait, there's that.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Onmi posted:

yeah basically rival gangs all fighting over turf with Masaru just running around and beating everyone up.

That would... actually be a really interesting concept. I've always been a sucker for settings where digimon are in some degree already known and the resulting pseudo-politics that crop up around that. Here's hoping that they might revisit such a notion some day.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

To mirror some of the above statements, I also hold the view that Frontier started out good (indeed, it has my favourite opening episode of the franchise, though the duo-centrism did get grating in the stuff immediately thereafter), but then its last stretch just gets more and more frustrating (which was arguably somewhat the point, but needed a way better execution) you're just glad its finally done, not that it had a satisfying ending.

What's weird is that the one episode where they go to the digimon nursery (can't remember the exact name) and manage to actually get the power of the previous villains to briefly shine through feels like the kind of thing that last stretch might have benefited more from. Its the only episode that really sticks out to me, because whilst its still a loss, the heroes still manage something, and the idea of maybe being able to bring back the villains as good guys feels like it was wasted potential after that.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah, Takuya and Kouji getting the Hybrids was bad enough, but completely depowering the rest of the team to make Takuya and Kouji not strong enough to face the Royal Knights was terrible.

This is one of the reasons why I bring up the bit when the previous villains get revived in kind of a spirit form, and that (briefly) manages to hold the Royal Knights off.

That, I feel, could have made for an interesting basis in getting 'strong enough' to face the Royal Knights. Not putting all their eggs in two baskets (seriously, why even do that if it won't matter much for the rest of the series), but trying to get an actually complete team together and fully prepared for the fight. Its a lot of missed potential.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

Are you trying to convince me to rewatch Frontier?

Covok posted:

Perchance.

Tell me you don't trust this smile:

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Man there needs to be some giant list of Japanese to English name translations in the OP somewhere because sometimes I /think/ people are talking about Season 1 and then it's all gibberish and I have no idea what's going on. (And I'm too lazy to google every name admittedly)

Anyway, I wasn't even aware there were Digimon seasons past 3, which as I recall was still pretty badass when I watched it as an 18 year old. I have fond memories of Season one which comforted me while I was super sick for a week and they ran a marathon of the stuff. As I recall Kari then got super sick with the same stuff that I had and I felt a lot better about myself. So simply put I'm looking forward to the new series.

One thing I hope they fix/do something about is the Mega Evolutions. Like, I remember as a kid that the evolution from Ultimate to Mega was meant to be this huge deal and what we get at the end is just a visual downgrade. I mean who thought WarGreymon looks more impressive as "Metal man with a horn" than a loving Undead Dragon Cyborg. And Metal Garurumon goes from a goddamn MMA Werewolf to "The same as his champion form, but metal."

I'd also like to see the other guys get Mega forms, I think Lilymon already has an evolution into Rosemon? And she looks pretty awesome so I'd like to see that.

A number of Mega forms since then have been massive, so no worries on that front. Otherwise, a common trope with Japanese fiction is where transformations start tending more and more towards being humanoid, typically implying both greater power and greater control over said power. In a decade that came off the heels of DBZ, its not surprising to see the trend creep in.

All the original 8 have Megas now as well, and they were implemented in the PSP game for Adventure a few years back, so ignoring them for Tri (or otherwise doing so without equal substitutes) would be really, really dumb on the part of the writers.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

ShineGreymon Ruin Mode, basically burst mode but rage instead of... heroism or something.

I honestly can't remember the fight it popped up in, though I do remember that it basically only stopped because ShineGreymon turned right back into an egg.

Edit: Found the clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RomNpU2STlw

I think its a rare case where the evil mode actually gets to cause some collateral, buuuut only towards an offscreen populace.

Astro Nut fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 10, 2015

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

ghost sex posted:

i had high hopes for hunters when the first episode made it look like taiki was taking a back seat and gumdramon acted like manipulative little poo poo

and then i spent 20 episodes waiting for anything to happen

Honestly its even more grating in that regard since it pretty much completely contrasts with the style Xros Wars had. That in itself isn't necessarily bad of course, but the setup Xros Wars had was incredibly easy to work with for story ideas, whilst going opposite to that would require more skill in writing - and Toei can be somewhat rare to deliver. Xros Wars provides several inherent story notes with each location: Arrival, exploration of the locale, recruitment, fighting the bad guys, resolution of who has the code crown. That is easy to spin into 'new' and different material with each story arc - just gotta decide the location's theme, and then fill it with the appropriate digimon, and things follow from there. With Hunters, its got the same scarcely inhabited void from week to week, most of the digimon there have gone nutso, and the digimon themselves are the prize - so there's rarely even the slightest mystery as to how they're found.

But again, that's not necessarily bad if handled properly, and now that I think about it, it was handled properly before.

In Tamers.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Covok posted:

I didn't watch anything past season 5 and, thanks to this post, I just saw this.

What...what is the context?

Some Numbers posted:

I'm not sure I want to know the context.

Those rituals to appease local digimon deities are just kooky, y'know?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Agni/Agunimon is based off a Hindu deity, and the pronunciation kinda depends on how you stress and draw out the sounds (and a long g does tend to add a 'u' somewhere). Though the english pronunciation probably emphasizes it the wrong way anyhow.

But yeah, I really do like Frontier's opening episode. There's something about the way it handles the world building in a short span that I really like, though I do confess may have been handled better given what they do ultimately go with. Still, I always find something really cool in the train station scene, with dozens if not hundreds of potential heroes called upon in the hopes of getting the few who'll actually make the cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Probably didn't help that it was caught up in the whole Saban/Disney trade, so some international markets (such as here in Britain) didn't really get Frontier at all, probably because it didn't have say, the continuing sales of a toyline like Power Rangers did, to help validate putting it on.