Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Tamers was pretty fair about it, Guilmon's final power up with the dead spaceship didn't seem that much stronger than most megas, and the main three kids got the mega form, some rival dude that didn't show up often got it and the broody edgy 'mon got it as well, just people that didn't get digimon 'till halfway through the series missed out on Mega.

Then Frontier was the worst about it when the second-to-last power up actually required goggles kid and broody rival to actively steal all power from the rest of the gang to fight.

A bit far back in the thread, but my inner Digimon nerd wants me to mention that the very last kid in Tamers to get a partner (not counting Impmon's twins) got a mega as well who actually did something vital to the plot. Tamers was pretty good about spreading the wealth.

Digimon was my first real fandom so I'm thrilled to see a thread devoted to it. It'll be interesting to see if Tri is any good. Did they manage to get all the original VAs back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Abitha Denton posted:

Its attacks are giant hearts. It is the best digimon.

And it can scare off heartless villains through its cuteness and love. Kenta really got the best partner. Good things come to those who wait, I guess.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

It was the same with Gatomon. She was a loving Champion level just chilin' with a bunch of Rookies. It was always weird that they treated Angemon and Angewomon as a pair, when MagnaAngemon was her technical equivalent.

Maybe because MagnaAngemon appeared so rarely?

Really, there was a lot of weird stuff going on with Gatomon. She was able to armor digivolve despite being a champion because her tail ring was gone which is really weird. She also went back to being Salamon while pretty much all the newbie Digimon went back to being babies after DNA digivolving. I always figured the writers forgot she was supposed to be a champion at times.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Silynt posted:

Can someone tell me what is a "Digital Garlic Champion"? I vividly remember hearing that in the original Digimon theme song (obviously this a misheard lyric but I choose to believe it is canon).

drat it, I'm not going to hear that any other way now. Thanks for ruining my childhood.

And yeah, I think the 02 kids will be involved in some way or another. They won't be focused on, but it would be incredibly weird if they suddenly disappeared, especially since Tri is incorporating the events of Season 2 and they're presumably in school with the original 8 (except for Ken unless he transferred). I'm curious whether we'll see some of the international kids we were introduced to in Season 2 considering they played a decently significant role in the finale of that season.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013
I saw a screening as well. Only about ten people in the theater, mostly twenty-somethings who came with their long-suffering parents for some reason.

I really liked how all the kids' actors who came back pitched their voices so it actually seemed like the kids had aged while still sounding recognizably like their 1999 characters--Sora in particular was done really well. The only voice I really missed was Joe's for some reason. His voice in Tri was so different from his original voice actor's (or at least from what I remember) that it was jarring whenever he spoke. Otherwise the new voices worked well for me.

Brave Heart sounded really epic in the theater but the evolution sequences just weren't the same without DIGIMON DIGITAL MONSTERS DIGIMON ARE THE CHAMPIONS :( I did wish there was more corny dub-style music besides the opening song if just for nostalgia's sake.

In all, I think Toei had a fine line to walk between nostalgia and still making a dub appealing to a wider audience, and I think they did good. I hope they continue dubbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sato
Apr 28, 2013
If they continue to do the dubs I hope to God they get the original dub Machinedramon voice. Hands down the best dub voice from Adventure.