Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Astro Nut posted:

This is one of the reasons why I bring up the bit when the previous villains get revived in kind of a spirit form, and that (briefly) manages to hold the Royal Knights off.

That, I feel, could have made for an interesting basis in getting 'strong enough' to face the Royal Knights. Not putting all their eggs in two baskets (seriously, why even do that if it won't matter much for the rest of the series), but trying to get an actually complete team together and fully prepared for the fight. Its a lot of missed potential.

The worst thing is that the ending confirms that this is exactly what they should've done. They face Lucemon as a team, because that's how Lucemon was fought in the past (but end it by fusing all together against Lucemon Satan Mode, still far better than Takuya/Kouji doing things alone...even though they can become Susanoomon on their own and did so against Lucemon Falldown Mode). They manage more against the Royal Knights as the Ten Warriors instead of as KaiserGreymon and MagnaGarurumon (even though the one time they finally win is as KGreymon and MGarurumon).

Hell, there were those four kids that were brought to the Digital World, the ones Angemon took care of. It's kind of obvious they were meant to become the Warriors of Water, Wood, Earth and Steel, yet instead they just get booted back to the Real World without any other comment. Having all Ten Warriors fight could've been cool, but instead, we had two, with four cheerleaders.

Quincytbb posted:

I remember when I was a kid and I first watched Digimon Frontier I really liked it, it was Power Rangers and Digimon crammed together. I haven't watched it recently enough to know if I would still like it or not. Thinking back on it though I never liked how they replaced partner digimon entirely with the spirits and the two annoying Digimon that spout exposition and follow them everywhere. And yeah, I agree that making 4/6th's of the cast useless to focus the spotlight on the two main characters was a bad decision. Tamers and Savers did it right where they made it so everyone got a mega evolution.

This is basically what it is. Frontier takes inspiration from Super Sentai and it shows, but at the same time does so in all the wrong ways. Having the humans transform and fight was not a bad idea, it gave more use to the humans that until that point had been mostly useless (apart from Tamers giving them Card Slashing duty, and even that didn't last), but at the same time it decided to just remove 4/6 of the cast. While Sentai has this issue at times...most of the time, it never outright depowers the cast to power up Red and Blue (except in Abaranger/Dino Thunder, and even that was temporary, unless I'm forgetting something)

Tamers and Savers did indeed do the right thing by sharing power equally. All Digimon series should do the same. Hopefully tri will add the other Megas to the series.

Kurui Reiten posted:

The best part of Digimon to me will always be the vaguely cthulhu mythos-ish depiction of data and the internet. I'm not sure why they haven't just plain explicitly advertised it as a more kid-friendly version of the SMT series, instead of just getting an artist or two. Social Links with Digimon, Fusion systems to get new ones, that sorta thing. Probably clean up.

Isn't this literally Re:Digitize and Cyber Sleuth?

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Frontier hosed the landing real hard as soon as the Royal Knights showed up, but With The Will (and Hyper Spirit Evolution) are the best songs in all Digimon still.

No mention of Fire? It's a really good opening. Probably my second favourite after Savers' Hirari. Frontier is awful but god it had great songs, even the endings have charm. Then again, bad series have good songs...Hunters is exactly the same. Tagiru Chikara is amazing but it is tied to a bad series and an even worse character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

forbidden lesbian posted:

the hell is joggress evolution, is that what the Digi-eggs were?

No, the Digi-Eggs were original Digimentals, and Armor Evolution kept its original name (as Armor Digivolution, but close enough). Jogress Evolution is what became DNA Digivolution.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

AtheistMantis posted:

Oh man, remember in V-Tamer how crazy it was when that one guy's gimmick was to jogress and then partition his Omegamon to effectively have infinite heals?

Yeah, it was awesome. V-Tamer was just really creative in its use of Jogress, both for Hideto and Neo, far more than 02 ever tried to be.

Covok posted:

I think so. I remember thinking that it was awesome the comic was mentioning -- I assume, at least -- a software exploit in the game and making it a plot point. I assume, atleast.

Also, it was so odd in V-Tamer how Tai was the main character, but his digimon was Veedramon.

V-Tamer came before Adventure. The real weirdness is anime Taichi not having V-dramon!

Even V-Tamer's V-dramon was canonically an Agumon once though, so they do have that in common. Their Agumon just took completely different evolution lines, and they both ended up as Royal Knights somehow. Multiverse coincidences!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Omnicrom posted:

Zero was only incredibly heavily implied to be an Agumon from at least two different directions, we never got a 100% on what he was as at Child level.

Taichi literally outright states that Zero was an Agumon when he sees the Agumon Leo trained, and a chapter page shows every form Zero had in the past as V-Pet sprites, and they'yre Botamon, Koromon and Agumon.

You have a really weird idea of the line between "heavily implied" and "outright confirmed".

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rudoku posted:

They didn't get the "maybe this wasn't a good idea" thing right until Meggidramon. That fucker was creepy. I heard Data Squad had a Greymon fuckup, too. Was it scary?

On the other hand, Megidramon was also cool as hell. There's no way to go around it, those evil designs will always be the best.

That said everything around Megidramon was creepy as hell and perfectly executed, another proof of how Tamers is awesome.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ConanThe3rd posted:

I forget, was Thomas' turn coating always a ploy or was that an invention of the dub to soften the affair?

It was always a ploy. Touma's a jerk, but he's not evil.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Also, if there's a Mega form for MagnaAngemon, wouldn't he just trivialise everything and job out all the villains? As I recall MagnaAngemon just straight up chumps a Mega in the first series.

Seraphimon already appeared in Hurricane Touchdown! The Golden Digimentals, alongside Tailmon's Mega form Holydramon, with no explanation whatsoever over how they could suddenly go Mega (in fact, it was a surprise for Takeru and Hikari themselves). They proceeded to create the titular Golden Digimentals then...get curbstomped by Cherubimon. They didn't even get one attack in.

In fact, Seraphimon in general might be only second to Leomon in how horribly he gets treated. Apart from the Golden Digimentals there, he's also appeared in Frontier and in V-Tamer, in both cases he got beaten up badly. In the former, he fights Mercuremon, gets his attack reflected and dies accomplishing nothing despite fighting an opponent that should be much weaker. In fact, he ends up doing more as an Egg than he did alive, giving Double Spirit Evolution to Takuya and Koji. In V-Tamer, Lord HolyAngemon evolves into Seraphimon to face Arkadimon...and gets defeated with extreme ease, reverting to HolyAngemon in a series where that just doesn't happen.

On another topic, the last Nade-Nade just came up in the tri website. Maybe it'll say when the series starts!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Torrannor posted:

Hey, a Digimon thread and a new Digimon season, which hopefully starts sometime this year!

I like both Digimon Adventure and Digimon Adventure 2, and I really love Tamers as being one of the best anime series ever made.

Sadly, it went downhill with Frontier and I didn't even bother to watch Savers. From what I gather reading this thread, that was a mistake?

You did. Frontier was awful, but Savers was much, much better. Not Tamers-good, but nothing is that good. It's still second place to me in Digimon anime, and it's very much worth the watch. Xros Wars is...more base-breaking, and I can't call it great but I don't think it was bad. It was okay. Except for Hunters, that was just as bad as Frontier. The Xros Wars manga is much better though, and I fully recommend it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Some Numbers posted:

I maintain that while Frontier is pretty bad, it's still better than 02.

I disagree. 02 is a trainwreck, but it's an entertaining one, it rarely gets dull. It's badly written, most plots go nowhere, and characters are horribly underused...which are all flaws Frontier also has! But Frontier is horribly dull nearly all the time, making it even worse.

Both have really entertaining villains though, so there's that. The Dark Warriors and LordKnightmon were the greatest points of Frontier for me, and Arukenimon and Mummymon were a wonderful Team Rocket, plus Ken is awesome all the time.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Adventure Tri might be the best way for a Digimon series to have good ratings again though. It appeals to that horrible part of the fandom that cares about nostalgia above actual quality, while at the same time appealing to whoever else because, hey, new Digimon show!

And then it scares that audience away because they don't really care about anything other than MUH CHILDHOOD, and the artwork is kinda weird, but hey, it's a good tri! I just hope it amounts to more than nostalgia appealing, how stupid Toei has been even before the series was released (gently caress nadenade forever) has kind of hurt my hopes.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm not sure how anyone can think of Millenniumon as cool when his only goal was to get Ryo to notice him. Ryo isn't even cool, why the hell are you warping the fabric of reality constantly just to have him pay attention to you? He's got other Digimon, man, let it go.

Literally the only cool thing about him, if you can even call it that, is that he succeeds. After four games. And even there only by being forcefully fused into another Digimon.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's an interesting but bad thing Frontier does, it introduces everyone by putting focus on their worst aspects. By the time their good aspects start showing it's a bit too late to care, especially since they become little more than cheerleaders, but all in its due time. That said, it does give good explanations for why they act like that and they do attempt to overcome their flaws, so the series keeps Digimon's focus on development, much unlike loving Hunters. Anyways...

Wolfmon is super cool. It's kind of unfair to compare Kouji to Yamato, since the Adventure group were close to each other since before the series began (Yamato especially, considering he was the only one to know Takeru, being family and all), here we have five children who don't know each other, and in more than one case want nothing to do with each other. Also Ken was way worse when he appeared, considering he was the loving big bad at that time. Ruki was similarly worse, while Kouji's cold and a jerk, he's not trying to kill everyone's Digimon (or, well, everyone, Frontier and all). Not like Kouji and Takuya won't come to blows, but what rival duo haven't hit each other? (Takato and Ruki, but that'd be incredibly unfair for poor Takato).

On the German thing, be prepared because this is something Frontier absolutely loves, using attack names in many, many languages. That said, I think it's cool. Can't have English with some Japanese for everything!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Some Numbers posted:

No one's commented on my screencap filenames. :saddowns:

The only ones named are "Real Mature" and "When Your Transformation[...]", aren't they? The rest don't show with any names (or have non-joke ones, like "Wolfmon"). Also I don't think many people would just right-click to check on every picture, I sure as hell don't.

Some Numbers posted:

Your point about Ken is fair, but Yamato starts off really aloof. For the first few episodes, all he cared about is his brother and he clashed with Taichi several times, especially where Takeru was concerned.

Hmm, I guess you have a point there. Still, Yamato didn't separate himself from the team until far, far later; Kouji doesn't JOIN the group until a certain point. It's a rather different situation.

Some Numbers posted:

:ssh: I've watched Frontier a couple of times.

I'm so sorry.

For you watching it, not my mistake.

I tried rewatching every series once. I couldn't do Frontier. I left when the Royal Knights arc began because my brain was shouting at me "this is not worth it". Of course, that meant I got faster to Savers instead and Savers is actually worth the watch, so it was a good thing!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Onmi posted:

You can fault Frontier for many things, the fact that it actually build up and established its plot points is not one of them.

Yeah, seriously. Lucemon appears in the goddamn opening, it's clear the writers had an endgame already planned from the beginning. Sadly they didn't plan how to get to it so well, since said endgame is a cool fight but everything leading to it is awful.

Also this episode is where Frontier starts to show what it is. Tomoki's spotlight episode!...gets stolen, Takuya beats the enemy. Next Spirit has the exact same thing happen. Just as Lucemon was clearly foreshadowed, so was this being Takuya/KoujI: The Series.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Everything said is true. That said, the upside is that the villains are really likable, especially in comparison to how badly the heroes (beyond Koichi) are written. The Dark Warriors are quirky and fun, but actually threatening. LordKnightmon is amusing, Dynasmon is cool. Lucemon is actually a really cool final boss with an epic final fight. Cherubimon is terrible, but at least the Digimon who follow him are cool.

They're still used badly, especially the Royal Knight duo who are basically there to stall the story until episodes run out, but at least they're entertaining as characters.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

nine-gear crow posted:

The only "plans" I'd heard regarding the other five were: 1) there was a human inside Duskmon all along and he was somebody's brother, and 2) the four kids who showed up randomly 3/4s of the way through the season were gonna get the other 4 Spirits and become some sort of B-Team who would either get cameos here and there or just never be mentioned again till the finale or something, whatever was cheaper to animate :v:

One of those happened, the other didn't, though I have no idea how true either rumour was, given that the only source of Frontier-era "inside info" was a proven liar.

The proof for the second one is the four kids that appear alongside Angemon, they appear during the Royal Knights arc (so all the Dark Warriors are already defeated) and have very similar personalities to the Dark Warriors themselves (excluding Duskmon, of course). The series sells them as having gotten into the Digital World by mistake, but it's pretty obvious they were meant to complete the Ten Warriors. That said, if this means that at some point the series was going to have all 10 or if this was never a plan and this is just the writers telling us that it could've happened but it didn't (in-series, not out of it), it's hard to say.

Even if they did get the Spirits they'd lose their powers every fight for Takuya and Kouji anyways, so it wouldn't make a bit of a difference.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Classy Hydra posted:

It's almost certain that the Dark Warriors were supposed to all turn out to be kids from the crossing station, but for whatever reason they decided to opt out of that concept for everyone but Koichi. A lot of small hints leads up to it, and the entire purpose of having the 10 warriors barely makes sense when four of the spirits are somehow moving around without a host and being evil (anyone remember if this was ever explained?), just to be turned into nonentities for the sake of powering their later evolutions (which, thematically, should have been about the 10 reincarnations of the spirits finally joining together again of their own will).

The Spirits being evil and not having a human host is explained in the series, Ophanimon says that Cherubimon corrupted the five spirits he had to guard. Four of them were given to Digimon, and the last to a brainwashed Koichi. Digimon can use the Spirits, as Shamamon becoming Vritramon proves...which makes you wonder why the hell they needed humans. Maybe to draw out their full power or something? That sure as hell isn't explained.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

So it being a TV show was not true, it starting in Spring was not true, they changed every human VA...

Can you handle this worse, Toei? I thought the nade-nade was bad enough, but holy poo poo this is terrible.

Beyond that, it looks really really good. That Alphamon vs Omegamon, and even moreso Greymon vs Kuwagamon looked insane. The cryptic as gently caress lines make me interested in the plot, but it being six OVAs makes me fear we'll be seeing the last by 2021. I can't say I'm hyped, how badly Toei has handled everything has killed my hopes for this series. Hopefully it will be better than I expect.

Also there's a new nade-nade, because of loving course there is one.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

vivisecting posted:

Literally all the voice actors were adults when they started adventure. I'm so bummed they dropped Mimi's voice actor... I thought she was a Digimon staple. She always sings the closings. :sigh:

The worst thing is that she still does. The ending is confirmed by the same trailer to be I Wish (meaning the original opening, ending and battle song are back), yet she's not voicing Mimi because...reasons?

Like the only understandable replacements are Taichi and Koushirou because women should not be voicing 17 and 16 year old men, respectively, but the rest are really weird. I guess Takeru is acceptable too because he can't keep a VA for two different things, that'd be crazy (he's had different VAs for Adventure, 02, the PSP game and now tri). Masami Kikuchi is especially weird, since he's been in every single Digimon show ever and was even Joe in Hunters' crossover (as well as Grani, giving him far more lines than the actual "main character" he voiced, Damemon)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Man, I read the Junya Ikeda one in his most excited GokaiSilver voice. Somehow, that makes it really easy to believe what he wrote. That said I can't see his voice fitting Joe at all, and I still don't get why Masami Kikuchi, easily the most important VA in Digimon, is not doing his very first role but...

Also considering how everything until now was released subbed despite there being no real need to, I'm going to guess we're getting official subs out of the movies soon. And by guess I mean hope.

TFRazorsaw posted:

I don't suppose you could put it in spoilers?

If you mean the Resurrection "F" plot, Kanzenshuu has a full summary of it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Some Numbers posted:

Oh holy poo poo, how did I miss that?

I agree, I can't imagine him matching Masami Kikuchi. I wonder if Toei even asked him?

I have this weird idea that Toei didn't get the children VAs entirely because it'd be more expensive for some reason. It's the only explanation I can actually think of. It's better than making everyone mutes like the Digimon in Hunters, at least!

Also I wonder if you also missed that Hikari is GokaiYellow? Because we have two Gokaigers in the team, and that's such a waste, if they were going to change all the VAs they should've just got all the team in, it'd be funny. Marvelous as Taichi, Joe as Yamato (not as Joe, of course, that'd be silly), Doc as Koushirou, Ahim as Sora. Gai as Joe is an awful choice but the only character I can see him fitting is Daisuke and he might not even appear at all.

TFRazorsaw posted:

Uh, no, the Digimon one.

Oh whoops, I totally misread your post then, sorry!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I watched the Latin American dub for the first four series and they were of extremely high quality. Straight from the original, with some of the name changes of the English version for some reason, songs were either kept as-is (battle songs, mostly) while the openings and endings were dubbed in Spanish and were awesome.

Everything I've read of the USA dub sounds terrible and that rap is horrible, but I get that people are nostalgic for it. That said, I fully hope the English dub, if any, will actually be faithful to the series. But more than that I just want subs that don't take years, and considering these will be released in cinemas I can't help but be a bit scared on that front.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Burkion posted:

It also makes zero sense in regards to season 2.

We get TK and Kari being able to Digivolve their Digimon to Mega Level just as causally as you please, and some how those two DON'T wreck shop and instead are just the vehicle to give Davis (and supporting guest star in place of Ken) the chance to save the day with A MUCH WEAKER DIGIMON.

What the gently caress movie

Not quite, actually! See, what happened was actually even more stupid: Takeru and Hikari did NOT evolve Angemon and Angewomon (who should not be able to even get to that level, but that's a plot hole caused by another plot hole because 02) to Mega, in fact Angemon and Angewomon evolved on their own, with their lines making it sound like they could've done so at any time without any effort and didn't because...who the gently caress knows! Takeru and Hikari were outright surprised at their partners becoming Seraphimon and Holydramon.

And then they proceed to get their asses kicked badly and only manage to give Daisuke and Wallace the titular Golden Digimentals.

Hurricane Touchdown was bad.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Seeing all the back and forth going about the US Dub. I can't help but be happy that I grew with the glorious latin american dub.

:agreed:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Junpei is the guy that complains because he has common sense, and therefore, always wrong. A particularly great moment of this comes later down the line, where he complains that Izumi, Tomoki and he can't really help at all because they didn't get fancy Double Spirit Evolutions like Takuya and Kouji did. Of course, the series tries to prove him wrong.

The series also spectacularly fails at proving him wrong but we're meant to believe it succeeded. In a series where four out of six characters are cheerleaders.

Digimon Frontier.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Guys, the fan patch for Digimon World RE: Digitize has been finished at last. I'd share link but I think it would be :filez:

Oh my god, I thought this would never happen. I'm so glad. Sadly I have like no time whatsoever until Thusday for games, but once that hits I'll be definitely trying it out.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

dis astranagant posted:

And ShineGreymon, WarGreymon X, VictoryGreymon and Omnimon in that particular game.

No Gaioumon, poo poo game 0/10 would not buy.

...I'd totally but it if it was on a console I own, maybe even PC. All the Story series is on DS, it could be a 3DS game.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

mateo360 posted:

Watch everything and form your own opinion.

Except Frontier. Take our opinion for it, it's bad and not worth watching.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Exclusive image of the Gokaiger gaiden to come out soon, where they search for the Ultimate Power of the Digimon.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Is any other latin american listening to the new Butter-fly and singing over it with our dub lyrics? That last On My Love/Digimon feels so good to sing, specially if you repeat Digimon over and over to the last beats.

I didn't think of this, I should try it out.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

nine-gear crow posted:

:lol: @ the 02 kids shoved off to the side of the banner and like a quarter the size of the Tri portion.

That's like the most passive aggressive way to go about that. Unless they also have the cast from other seasons on the banner too and they just sort of had to include 02 because it is still a thing that exists in the real world.

I'm sorry to ruin your fun, but both Adventure series get the same treatment.

Also 02 is getting a blu-ray release, and the Fes had a statue of Taichi alongside Daisuke, so 02 is still very clearly a thing. It won't be suddenly retconned away, it will just be quietly ignored.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Geostomp posted:

Call me when they get to Tamers.

Considering why these exist, that'd mean a Tamers sequel. And knowing how Konaka ended it on a really sour note...

I mean, it could follow from Runaway Locomon, which is the better ending anyways, but in either case I wouldn't accept it without Konaka taking full charge of the series.

It's also never happening because you can't milk nostalgia as hard from it as you can from Adventure.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

mikeycp posted:

I'm very fond of Digimon World 2, personally.

Digimon Digital Card Battle owns as well.

I'm not a fan of Digimon World 2, but I absolutely love Digital Card Battle and I fully recommend it. Being a card game, it's not grindy, it's actually really fun, has an acceptable story (not impressive, but it's there and it doesn't get annoying), deck building is easy, and overall it's just a great game. Definitely my favourite Digimon game ever.

On the PS1, Digimon Rumble Arena is a pretty cool fighting game too. Kind of limited character selection, but it's well balanced around the three then-existing Digimon series (much unlike Rumble Arena 2, which appealed to Adventure fans and no one else...which Digimon, sadly, does a lot), and it was a better game in general than its not-really-sequel.

Apart from those I can't honestly recommend any Digimon game though. All the RPGs are grindy and repetitive.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Burkion posted:

Yeah but the first trailer thing we got involved weird "This future should not be" dialogue.

SO we might be literally getting divergent time line nonsense.

Or not. My interpretation of it (based on nothing, though) is that the worlds were meant to remain separate. Thus, we're in a "future that shouldn't be", where humans and Digimon live together. This is after 02's last episode (but before the epilogue), so there's several children who have Digimon partners, to the point where "Chosen Child" might mean nothing anymore.

Plus we've known from the get-go that this series is meant to show how we reached the epilogue, and the problems that getting there would bring as humanity and Digimon grow closer. I'm expecting some early Savers-like shenanigans, with evil people getting and using Digimon.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Some new Digimon Adventure Tri info, people. Confirms that this is happening after 02, for those who still vehemently believed it to retcon it out of existance despite the proof otherwise.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Craptacular! posted:

I didn't with 02, but from what I remember it's most controversial thing was a time skip future that gave put weird put of character futures and sunk fanships with the canon-cannons. They can still rewrite that poo poo and the rest of the show happens, right? It was just a largely unnecessary "let's wrap this up!" idea that ought to have been left ambiguous.

They can't. It was stated from the get-go that Adventure Tri's meant to show us how they got to said epilogue, and what problems that brought.

Literally nothing is going to get retconned. Everything from the two series, and that includes 02, is still canon.

Also the epilogue, while terrible, wasn't the only issue. It followed from an incredibly bad last fight where they won by shouting dreams at the big bad. It was super lame. Then again, Adventure had a terrible finale too, and I'm expecting Tri to not break that tradition.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7_va5mh-GU

This version has more new footage, despite having the same dialogue. I have to wonder why two exist, but anyways...

Translation, taken from great-blaster:

quote:

YAMATO: “Taichi, have you forgotten about what we’ve done in the Digital World and how we fought to save our world and the Digimon?”
TAICHI: “I would never forget!”
[A new adventure begins to turn]
SORA: “Taichi, never mind that, get going already!”
HIKARI: “Ooooh… Takeru-kun is popular with the girls~”
TAKERU: “I’m not popular at all! She’s just a friend!”
[Feelings that pass each other by, and then…]
JOU: “No, it’s all right. I just wanted to listen.”
MIMI: “You’re all nervous because I’ve gotten super cute now, aren’t you!”
KOUSHIRO: “T–That’s not it at all!”
HIMEKAWA: “There is currently not enough information.”
NISHIJIMA: “The next time an infected violent Digimon appears, I may come by to ask for your help again.”
TAICHI: “Agumon. Let’s stop him from going wild.”
AGUMON: “Okay.”
NISHIJIMA: “We’re counting on you, Chosen Children.”

I really hope this gets released and subbed fast because I will not be able to avoid spoilers. I want this.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

There's appealing to the fans and then there's this. This is overboard. Then again, I guess they needed an excuse to not have the 02 guys around and this is better than just creating a million plotholes I guess...

I mean it's blatant it won't stick, but there's still an obvious "HEY FANS THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT RIGHT" component to it that I absolutely hate.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Digimon Adventure tri will be on Crunchyroll from tomorrow 7 am (PST) for all non-Europeans.

I'm honestly amazed, I expected a gigantic wait. This is great. I'll be able to bitch about this with actual material behind me!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It should be noted that while the BD/DVD of "Determination" will be out in April, the movie release is March 12th, so we might get it before April ourselves.. Also, it confirms new Megas, Mimi and Joe are getting Rosemon and Vikemon.

What to say about this movie/four episodes, though? What was leaked honestly destroyed my hopes...pointlessly, because this was great! The kaiju-esque feel of the Digimon, destruction in the human world being taken absolutely seriously, Taichi growing up to realize that playing with fire is dangerous, the amazing fights (especially Alphamon, holy poo poo), everything just gave me a very Tamers-esque feel and that's always a great thing. Adults having an actual role is pretty cool too.

My only complaint is how everyone seemed to forget they could go past Adult. Like, the Kuwagamons wouldn't have been even a speedbump to MetalGreymon, not even WarGreymon. And during the fight against Alphamon everyone sticks at Adult despite being destroyed, then Yamato appears...and has Gabumon become Garurumon. Not Metal, just regular Garurumon. It's not even like 02 where they couldn't because plot holes, considering how Yamato immediatly wants to go into Omegamon and Taichi and him evolve their Digimon effortlessly afterwards. That said, it feels overall minor in comparison to how good the rest was.

I also really enjoyed the music. Remixing the BGMs from Adventure was a great choice to give it that Adventure-like feeling. The new versions of the lyrics songs are great too, and I loved the lyric-less Brave Heart during the fight with Alphamon.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

kefkafloyd posted:

That's true; I was mostly saying that Adventure/02 would have glossed. Steal as much from Tamers as possible.

Yeah, I absolutely expected the series to just ignore it or at least undermine it. But nope, not only does it point it out, it shows realistic reactions out of the common people (and Taichi, of course) and I loved it and hope that continues being a thing for a long while.

Being Tamers-like is a good thing, so I hope Tri keeps being Tamers-like as much as it can. Not only the destruction, but also the black ops and just having adults take care of situations even if they can't directly fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kortel posted:

How much you want to bet The new cat digimon is the twin of the Red version that's been in the background and that it's causing the tears?

I'm afraid I'll have to destroy that idea. The other Digimon is Hackmon, someone who has already existed since the Digimon Adventure PSP game, and definitely not someone with the power to cause that.