Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Hoping for the same so that it means we see a world where Digimon are commonplace. Have their 2005 be technologically similar to our 2015 thanks to literally having pet data.

IIRC one of the production crew was behind the Persona 4 anime and another is directing the Persona 3 movie, so i'm guessing we're gonna get something somewhat similar, the cast all dealing with a mostly normal real world where strange stuff happens thanks to everyone having Digimon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I'm not usually into the dub, but that delivery was fantastic.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

As much of a hot mess as 02 was, that callback was pretty great. I remember seeing that and immediately remembering that the Agumon card was the wrong one and feeling proud of myself for knowing stuff was going to be messed up.

Might as well go about it, but for me it's:

Tamers>Adventure>Savers>>Xros Wars>>Frontier>>>>>>>02>>>>>Young Hunters

Frontier would've ranked up above Xros Wars if they hadn't repeated the same episode eight times near the end in which they go back someplace they visited before, have decent character moments and then everyone sits back because only Takuya and Koji can actually fight at this point and the Royal Knights whoop their rear end a bit less than last time but still get all the data, thus the mons we just remembered are boned.
Savers was generic anime as hell, but still pretty nice, Murata is one of my favorite villains in the franchise. Everyone has said what needs to be said about 02 and Young Hunters.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

...it's been a while, ok?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

SpazmasterX posted:

I want to know why the power curve was completely unfair to secondary characters for four seasons before they finally went "Huh maybe someone besides the kid in goggles and his broody rival should get the strongest/unique digivolution or mode change."

Tamers was pretty fair about it, Guilmon's final power up with the dead spaceship didn't seem that much stronger than most megas, and the main three kids got the mega form, some rival dude that didn't show up often got it and the broody edgy 'mon got it as well, just people that didn't get digimon 'till halfway through the series missed out on Mega.

Then Frontier was the worst about it when the second-to-last power up actually required goggles kid and broody rival to actively steal all power from the rest of the gang to fight.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

:hfive:

If anyone hasn't listened to them, the Latin American songs are really, really good. Here, I'll link you to them, it was really nice to hear them back again myself too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=565i1ZMak4A

Hey, I was doing stuff, now I gotta listen to this whole thing, darn nostalgia!

Interesting bit, Data Squad was adapted mostly from the English version but they dubbed the Japanese ending theme for it.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Think of it more like literally the video Too Many Cooks. Chiaki was brought in, did his part of the broth and nobody bothered to build up on that 'till it was brought up for a little bit a while before the end.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Rudoku posted:

Except the kid that got a fully evoloved MarineAngemon straight up.

Didn't include him since he didn't get to do all that much, but yeah, that was awesome.

Kurui Reiten posted:

I want the first ambassador to the Digital World to be just some random politician, and the first ambassador to the real world to be like loving Cyberdramon, in a well tailored suit, trying to fit into elevators and poo poo.

I was thinking of something more serious with our modern society's struggles relating to technology being augmented by Digimons (like, say, when trying to fight back against oppressing police force not only would people make stuff viral among all that have digivices they'd rally with actual digimons to fight back that injustice, and companies trying to make people distrust digimons and all that communication and easy travelling they provide while other companies try to make digimons a way to earn money) but gently caress that, Shenglongmon with dress pants duct taped to him as he floats outside the ONU with his head sticking into the building.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

True, the digimon side's reaction could be a lot of a culture threatened to be colonized. Also therefor in contrast to digimon trying to be ambassador would be a human having to wear asymmetrical pants, ripped shirt and strap knives and guns over his body to truly blend in.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The latin dub went with Child>Adult>Ultra>Mega and I think that makes sense

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Flippinlikebirds posted:

What was up with that episode in season 1 where Tai goes back to the real world for like a day? I remember the animation being really different. Was it originally part of a movie or something and they edited it to make it into an episode for the english dub?

It was the only anime episode directed by Mamoru Hosoda, animation director for the first digimon short and Our War Game (and currently he does movies such as Wolf Children and Summer Wars)

Also, anyone itching for more Digimon before Tri starts should just watch Summer Wars, it's essentially a remake of Our War Game.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

People who point out how he killed Piemon ignore the fact that MetalGarurumon and WarGreymon contributed just as much to taking him down.

Did they? Did they really? Cuz all I remember is them getting played for chumps in ten seconds and everyone getting turned into keychains one by one until MagnaAngemon popped up to wreck poo poo.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The strange-rear end proportions make Agumon look even more like a silly digital pet tamagochi, so that's pretty nice.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I think we'll likely keep standard MetalGarurumon and WarGreymon (and probably Omnimon) for a while but eventually they'll get other forms, like maybe VictoryGreymon.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I hope we see a background kid with a Leomon as his/her partner and then a few episodes later we see the kid just crying somewhere in the background.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Rudoku posted:

Make it a completely different kid, but keep the suicide sock puppet.

You know what's up.

I'm really curious about Izzy in Tri, he and Joe are falling in that poster and Izzy's egg is the last one to be hatched. You could go with Gatomon's egg and nobody would care, she was the last one after all, but the fact that they chose Izzy and went the order of Tai>Matt>Joe, TK and Kari>Sora and Mimi>Izzy tells me there's probably a meaning to the order.
Maybe Izzy ends up a villain in some way?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

That info's been out for a while.

over at https://www.digimon-adventure.net the second-to-last batch of eggs are 200K clicks away from hatching, since last time we got the poster and production crew i'm expecting something fairly big to be revealed here, maybe the airdate.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jan 26, 2015

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Oh they totally will. Won't be main characters but there's no way they won't show up, it's a show about the hardships of human and digimon relationships, the second gen of chosen children have to be a part of it.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I'm guessing some Mega+ form would be likely.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I always loved how Tai simply had no issue with Matt and Sora getting together, like "yeah, used to like her and things didn't work out, good thing we were kids and that those two are still pals" but shippers will take it as a stab to their hearts for some reason.

Frontier was still miles ahead of 02, tho

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

Was there any actual indication of Tai liking Sora? It's been years since I watched the dub and the Japanese version doesn't really mention anything at all beyond Davis and Kari.

Our War Game has a bit that kinda sorta be maybe read as romantic somedtimes, so, obviously, they were soulmates.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Eggs hatched, we got cast and Butter-fly and Brave Heart are in the series.

Love how goofy the digimons look :3:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

forbidden lesbian posted:

i hope kari's face is stuck like :yayclod: for the entire series

I'm curious about TK's :geno: face myself, he just looks so awkward in both of the pictures and that has me intrigued.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Tri is going to air on television and thus have sponsors, so its budget is already around 50 times bigger than Crystal.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Henry's dad being part of a group of people that programmed the Digimon was always one of my favorite things. I think those were the first adults that actually mattered in a children's anime starring children that I had seen, and that FBI or whatever dude trusting Takato after being utterly defeated was just really cool.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

I prefer Evo and With the Will.

Frontier hosed the landing real hard as soon as the Royal Knights showed up, but With The Will (and Hyper Spirit Evolution) are the best songs in all Digimon still.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The few things they've said of Tri includes that "everyone has a digimon now, here's a story"

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

That or two hours worth of episodes just having Tai and some random politicians having a meeting with Digimons to discuss terms for both planets to coexist in peace. The Digimons being huge godly megas with business suits duct taped on their bodies and the politicians having scraps of metal and knives strapped on their bodies so both cultures can meet eye to eye.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Speaking of Tri, new egg is up at last
http://digimon-adventure.net/

It opened with 200K clicks about 14 hours ago, now it's down to 154K so it shouldn't take too long if stuff isn't added.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Onmi posted:

Frontier was entirely B-Grade Toku action until the end of Cherubimon, that is when the show should have ended. Or failing that, 2-3 episodes for the Royal Knights and then Lucemon. It's got much better fights than 02. Also, to me, Frontiers cast were pretty likable, while 02's could all die in a fire, except Ken and Iori I guess.

This is pretty much my stance. Frontier had some very good character moments and villains all the way through Cherubimon, then a poo poo and overly long arc of the heroes losing and then a decent ending, meanwhile 02 had a mess all over the place with poo poo scattered across and an ending that boiled down to "Oh, poo poo, the main character has no nuances or nothing that makes him interesting... THAT'S WHY HE'S THE BEST PROTAGONIST AND HE BEATS RECYCLED MYOTISMON" 02 had its moments of goodness, but it's still the weakest series for me, bar Hunters which was boring and filler-y until the 6 minutes of badly animated crossover, while Frontier is a series where you can easily point at the big flaws and simply cut them.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

This is now my favorite picture of all time.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

They will stream ALL Adventure in 3 days leading up to the pv, the 02 ending is a big part of the story for tri

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

ConanThe3rd posted:

Fox Kids / Jettix / Disney XD UK have a lot to answer for in terms of their anime output; From Digimon Frontier and Sailor Moon S not being aired when stated in the FK days, to Naruto's appalling editing in the Jetix Days to XD somehow utterly bollocking up Inazuma Eleven's release such that the franchise died in the UK, the sort of one place where Football, saying nothing of Level 5, is "A Thing"

Honestly, the fact they haven't screwed up Pokemon (even if the show was doing a good job of doing that on it's own terms with Gen 5) is something of a small miracle.

Pokemon airs in Cartoon Network :v: They've done a good job bringing anime there, Kill la Kill and Space Dandy got really solid ratings.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Gotta give props to that liar dude, he managed the perfect lie that continues on to this day because he knows nobody would actually go through the hassle of playing an early Digimon game in order to prove him wrong.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

12 hours until they stream the PV and airdate, finally.
http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv217133120

If anyone has a japanese NicoNico account and uses a proxy like Hola then you can watch it live.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

readingatwork posted:

Some day I'll understand why the Japanese love throwing random English everywhere

Do they expect kids to be able to read that?

しかたがありません。新しいデジモンのための万歳!

I like this because I can feel the japanese kid going piecing together the meaning of "and" and "other" because those are basic words they might've seen in school, then see "surprise" and give the gently caress up.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

So right now they're at the last two episodes of Adventure. Also the room seems to be full enough that regular members get kicked out in favor of Premium ones so the small hoops I jumped to get a working japanese NicoNico account were totally useless. :v: ah well, all the info will be online in one hour anyway.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I'm prepared for this to be Digimon's Pokemon Origins, except with way the gently caress more in-fighting. Hopefully no dumb Royal Knights stuff, just keep it at Alphamon.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Fangz posted:

Yeah, changing the VAs makes sense. That trailer still saps my enthusiasm though. They are continuing to dribble out tiny little details, and we haven't learned much of anything we didn't know before.

Do we know who is directing? I'm guessing not Hosoda :(

Keitaro Motonaga on direction. Yuko Kakihara and Atsuya Uki are script supervisor and character designer respectably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Well, this whole thing was a bit more worldwide-esque with the nade-nade being accessible and intended for everyone and every teaser having a subbed version minutes after release, so maybe they're going to go for a closer western release, like official CrunchyRoll subs release of the new episode/movie after its theater release ends. Or it could be longer and we get an official subbed release of each episode/movie right before the next one comes in theaters. Or Toei decided that western audiences actually don't matter and we're gonna be waiting for BD release and fansubs...