Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Masami Kikuchi has a role in every digimon series.

The Kidos in both Adventures.
Demon in 02.
Dolphin in Tamers.
Neemon in Frontier.
Damemon in Xros Wars.

and of course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk7v-wfERRM

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

All of the promotional stuff Toei has been releasing has English language versions, so I would be surprised if they stream them over here in some fashion.

Also the guy that leaked the plot of Ressurection F early has allegedly released the plot for the first tri movie. I'm taking it with a grain of salt but if it's true it's definitely not what I would have expected.

I don't suppose you could put it in spoilers?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

If you mean the Resurrection "F" plot, Kanzenshuu has a full summary of it.

Uh, no, the Digimon one.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I can't watch the Adventure dub at all anymore. The constant stream of jokes without any regard for pacing, the lack of consistency with plot points, the exaggeration of characters like Mimi, and the repetitive music just. I can't sit through it anymore.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'd say Mimi's nonexistent little brother, exaggerating her character to even more of an obnoxious superficial stereotype, and the clumsy handling of Takeru and Yamato's family situation is more than "little stuff." That's DBZ-tier "goku's father was a brilliant scientist" stuff.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Mimi is that way in the original. She's girly and friendly and doesn't change in that aspect at all. The dub's problem is that it ramps it up, piling more and more stuff on, and what it does add makes her seem more superficial and vapid than she actually is.

And it's far beyond the Devimon arc. The dub utterly mangles the episode dealing with the Crest of Light, and there's also what it did to Apocalymon.

As for the brothers, they didn't need to do anything in the first place. Seriously, just say what's already there. It's not a matter of censorship, either, because what they did ends up reflecting worse than divorce, implying Natsuko is either adulterous or had two children out of wedlock.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The episode with Kentarumon is a good example of how the dub mishandles Mimi. In that one, in the original, she's angry over Koushirou ignoring her and the danger they're in, while the dub version of the episode makes her come off as far more spoiled and entitled. And then there's her bit in the Our War Game portion of the movie that goes from her being excited over vacation to smugly going "I'm wishing you were heeeeeeere" in a tone as if she were mocking her friends over not being as her. Yes, she gets her awesome moments, but they come off as her tapping into a strength IN SPITE of how she normally acts rather than the kind she had all along.

As for the brothers thing, whether it was due to a mistranslation or not, the fact is, it's what's in the final product. And I don't enjoy it.

For the crest thing, I'm gonna borrow what TV Tropes says:

quote:

In the original version, Wizardmon and Tailmon sneak into Vamdemon's hideout to recover the Crest of Light from his coffin, with Wizardmon stashing it in his clothes when Vamdemon returns, realizes what they're doing, and crushes the fake Crest that he was holding in anger. In the dub, Myotismon claims that the Crest in the coffin is another fake, and that he kept the real one on him. This might make Myotismon seem more Dangerously Genre Savvy, but he still crushes the Crest he's holding, and it's never seen how Wizardmon got a hold of the real one.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm not trying to say Mimi isn't pink and bubbly and girly. I'm saying the dub overloaded her on the negative things people associate with that kind of character and that it was detrimental. She's much more balanced between strength and flaws in the original

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Burkion posted:

Now to be serious for a moment, I do have a legit reason for why I think I prefer the dub over the Japanese original. That isn't just nostalgia.

I compared the Japanese version to the dub and honestly? The dub gives the characters more life. Especially the Digimon.

One of the best examples I can pull off is episode 21. When Agumon is being dragged back to the Digital World, the two versions have VERY different things for him to say.

The Dub has him say "I'm needed in Digi-World. I'll never forget you my friends!"

The Japanese version has him say "Taichi...Hikari...Bye Bye."

The Digimon in the Japanese version in general seem to be far less articulated, far more simple characters than the dub versions.

I guess I just prefer that take on them. That and I adore the some times AWFUL voices (GARUDAMON) of their other forms but that's entirely subjective.

That just strikes me as really dumb. He has no reason to know why he's being dragged back, or that there's any purpose or intent behind what's pulling him in. Also, by that point, it's established the digimon can't do anything without their partners to evolve them, so what does he expect to DO?

And in the case of the Adventure digimon, they were perhaps even as naive as the kids themselves, being essentially babies that had the ability to evolve overnight. Them having simpler mindsets and being less "articulate" makes sense.

Adventure doesn't really make any of the Digimon standout characters, but the dub's handling of them doesn't really make much sense regarding the story.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

And yet in the dub they still had Terriermon sounding like Mona Marshall, so I'm not sure what the point of your comparison is.

Chika Sakamoto uses very different voices for Agumon and his evolutions, also. All of the digimon do:

http://youtu.be/0EWtqkQXOV4

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yes, but the way the statement was framed, it sounded like a criticism leveled specifically at the Japanese version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf8c1WAaqvU

and I can hear a pretty distinct difference here, re: Togemon

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

My bad then.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

He's a reptile. I think the scratchy voice is effective and appropriate.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Me, I love all the Hybrid designs, except for Shutumon and her freaky bondage outfit.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They don't exactly scream "obviously evil" in the same way Dusk and Velgrmon do though

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I dunno why people say there's no 02 stuff in tri. They make a lot of references to stuff from it; even more than Adventure.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Imperialdramon is on the second poster.

They're involved. There's no use pretending they're not.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Or "they're saving the 02 digimon and humans for future installments so they can promote the new voice actors and merchandise and build up hype for the next few parts".

I don't understand why people think that they're motivated by a bunch of angry westerners' anger over the second season. As I said earlier in the thread, 02 is the most successful digimon series of them all. It made tons of money, it was the highest rated, it had the most merchandise, music, drama cds, and tons of other things. Hell, the new mobile game managed to earn 50,000 pre-registrants because they promised V-mon!

02 has lots of problems, but tri. isn't the way it is because they're trying to distance themselves from it. It's for plot and marketing reasons; to get them out of the way so they can be maneuvered into the position where they're ready to reintroduce them, mark my words. Megahouse just announced a new line of figures based on 02 for crying out loud! The audience that actually matters to Toei has no issue with it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

In the sense that they've handed it off and readily gone "Here you go, dub this for us."

They've never really ever shown or been aware that a vocal minority of American fans don't like 02. If Imperialdramon is corrupted somehow I doubt that it's for the sake of destroying the characters. I mean 02 did the exact same plot line with Agumon.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Nov 28, 2015

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Man.

Please don't turn Iori's partner into YetAnotherAngemon. It's all wrong for him.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Or they could just start having them evolve into Silphymon and Shakkoumon on their own.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Silphymon is fine in my book. His abilities are rather imaginative for a bird Digimon (I love Garudamon but "bird + fire" is low hanging fruit). And Shakkoumon is both unique in terms of abilities and nontypical for a partner digimon.

More importantly though Toei has never much cared for revising evolution lines. The ones that appeared on the show are iconic to their respective characters. They're not gonna change them at all.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Konaka has also stated he never wrote that episode with a follow up in mind.

I dunno. Over a decade later, I think the World of Darkness not getting any answers regarding it was the entire point. It's creepy and mysterious. The end.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

This is not true. Two of the Adventure lines have been changed back and forth from the time we got their Megas that never appeared in the show until now. Is Tailmon's Mega Holydramon (Hurricane Touchdown, Digivice) or is it Ophanimon (Battle Spirit 1.5, PSP game)? Is Gomamon's Plesiomon (original material) or is it Vikemon (current material, including Determination)?

I'm talking about stuff that's on-screen, part of the show's canon. Something that's set in stone and not done in an alternate source of media or a noncanonical side story.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I KNOW that. That's why I said "they could just start evolving into those digimon on their own for some reason earlier".

Jogress Evolution has been a part of the franchise since before 02. The results of it aren't necessarily dependent on having a partner; Shakkoumon is a valid evolution for Ankylomon with or without Angemon.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The description and "rules" Adventure gives for jogress is pretty much the same as what's in the null canon. There's really no reason to presume it's any different.

They're also the Perfects of THOSE CHARACTERS. This is a movie playing on nostalgia; lines we haven't seen them evolve to yet are one thing, but to change established evolutions? They've never treated Shakkoumon as "the Perfect form of Angemon and Ankylomon", it's Ankylomon's Perfect form.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 28, 2015

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Burkion posted:

Hell if that was the case, Matt wouldn't NEED Tai to fuse into Omnimon with. Season 2 explicitly calls that out as Jogress Evolution as well, and it's treated like a fusion.

Yes, I know that's Xros Wars. But aside from that, he's never called a jogress in the Japanese version; only a comparison is made. It's the dub that says he's a DNA Digivolution, but that's the dub.

In episode 27, they're discussing Jogress as a substitute for previous evolution methods, something they do because they don't have crest power. In other words, it's a substitute for a method they don't have anymore.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

*smacks face*

XW is the only thing that says what Omegamon is in the context of the anime. You said he's "explicitly called a Jogress in 02". He is NOT. He is compared to one, but he is never once in all of episode 27, in which they discuss him, he is never called a Jogress.

I can screencap that if you want. He's never called one. That's the DUB.

And I KNOW that they need jogress evolution to evolve in the crossover. I said from the START that something would need to change for them to evolve naturally; all I've held to is that the results would be the same. Yes, they have bits of other digimon on them, that's true. So does TAILMON, is she a jogress of Plotmon and SaberLeomon?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Only Stingmon would be getting a form that's never been seen before? And people have known about DinoBeemon for years.

And that's if they all just don't warp evolve into Imperialdramon, GranKuwagamon, Valkyrimon, and whatever bone they decide to throw Armadimon.

quote:

That only shows how Omegamon is not a Jogress or DNA or whatever you want to call him, he's a fusion. Whatever difference that might be. Because I sure as hell don't know.

Jogress is two digimon evolving together into one of their respective evolved forms by combining. If two digimon are of different levels with one in between them, the result is a level between them both. In some contexts, the resulting Jogress is considered a wholly new being.

Fusion is two or more digimon combining into a digimon of the same level without evolving. Sometimes the result is considered a Super Ultimate, but not always, and this is not necessarily another evolutionary level.

And then we have DigiXros which combines multiple digimon into a new digimon with a particular one as the core of the combination, with the result not having a level, basically behaving like a super robot.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 28, 2015

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

quote:

Neither Cody or Yolie's Jogress Digimon are anywhere near as powerful as MagnaAngemon or Angewomon, despite having Gatomon and Angemon as their partners. Hell I'm not even sure how powerful Paildramon is compared to, say, MegaKabuterimon or Zudomon.

That's honestly your bias talking, I think. Because Shakkoumon endured absorbing an attack from Demon, who is clearly the strongest single antagonist in the Adventure continuity short of MAYBE BelialVamdemon and regularly holds up in combat against other Ultimate-level foes like the aforementioned and BlackWarGreymon.

HolyAngemon, meanwhile, got a Skull Hammer to the face and went down like a chump.

They're as strong as other Perfects are, they're just rarely out to actually kill their opponents.

EDIT - Also, Magnamon's profile has said he's as strong as an Ultimate since his introduction.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Nov 29, 2015

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I was talking about his profile, yes. I thought that was what was relevant, since we're talking about other media that have run with the idea of Magnamon running with Ultimates, and you were acting that this was born solely out of his role in season 2 and like it was undeserved. It was part of his conceptual history from the start.

Also, I said "his profile", so I don't see why you'd think I was talking about the show.

As for season 2, dude. I've said before, up and down, that it has problems. But for better or worse, it's something that happened, and it's part of what tri is building off of. I'd rather they treat these characters honestly and not succumb to what is basically fandom pandering, and, to be honest, a lot of people undersell the capabilities of the season 2 characters because they come from a season that they happen to dislike while pumping up the ones that are from the first and are undisputed fan favorites.

Paildramon, Shakkoumon, and Silphymon are weaker because they're from "the bad season", despite what's actually shown on screen. HolyAngemon is as strong as an Ultimate because he's popular and because they deliberately ignore that he had help doing it (where's Zudomon's credit for being so strong when he helped finish off MetalEtemon?). It gets tiresome.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I posted earlier in the thread that HolyAngemon doesn't defeat Piemon, and while an above average Digimon he never success in defeating an Ultimate on his own. He 1) knocks Piemon down, and 2) only defeats him when WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon knock him into the Heaven's Gate. And Piemon is an evil species Digimon, meaning HolyAngemon's attacks do extra damage to him. He would not have won that fight on his own.

SkullSatamon was, like the rest of the Demon Corps, incredibly strong, stated to be such, had an ability that has a special effect, and - on top of all that - the evil <-> holy effect goes both ways. It's not jobbing.

This is all stuff that's made explicit in the show.

BlackWarGreymon's fight didn't end normally, and so it's pretty much impossible to use that fight as a gauge of ANYTHING. On top of that, as a Digimon born from Dark Towers, it's pretty much a given that the same effect that applies to Piemon applies to him.

Shakkoumon does admirably against BlackWarGreymon, especially considering that in Adventure, newly evolved Perfects are shown to have a limited amount of time they can stay active after evolving for the first time. And THEN he immediately absorbs BlackWarGreymon's primary attack, and visibly hurts him afterward. The three collectively then break his armor and seriously injure him - No group of Perfects alone EVER achieved this on an Ultimate once in the Adventure continuity even ACHIEVES that much, and are usually beaten whenever WarGreymon, MetalGarurumon, or SaberLeomon are involved. Shakkoumon and the others are physically knocked to the ground but they are never devolved by him.

So. Yeah. You're kinda misrepresenting that by saying "he's defeated left and right."

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Whatever. I'll stop.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

quote:

Why would you bring back a property that has been settled business for well over a decade for anything but fan pandering? What unique new thing is there to say that couldn't have been said with all new characters?

The type of fan pandering I mean is to the obsessive minority who grumbles about how 02 ruined everything and want it stricken from canon and its characters destroyed or otherwise taken the piss out of. There's the kind of pandering that's ultimately harmless; see all the "Oh, Omegamon is awesome!" or Alphamon basically working identically to how he did in X-Evolution. That's fun. It's harmless.

But I've never liked "dragging the scrappies" because it's almost always catering to a small, loud subset of people, always obnoxious, and usually transparent to the point it affects the writing and becomes unnatural. It takes me out of the story, and just plain comes off as not writing for the sake of the narrative, but for scoring points with loud, bitter small people.

02 has lots of problems, and it remains to be seen what their being defeated by Alphamon will result in, but it's looking like a conscious storytelling decision that they're building up to. As for billing it as a "season 1 nostalgia trip", that is true, but the show is ALSO named "tri.", meaning that ignoring season 02 was never going to be a factor and that it was something it'd have to acknowledge one way or the other. Nor does it necessarily mean 02 elements or characters shouldn't be used, and judging by the first episode, that's happening anyway, due to the acknowledgement and continuity nods to a lot of them.

Lastly, when I talk about how successful 02 was, I'm doing so in the context of why Toei has no real benefit or advantage to throwing it out, ignoring it, or taking shots at it.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 29, 2015

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Did you play digimon world DS? Dawn or Dusk?

It's like that, with a bit less grinding and a more complex story.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They're kind of a grind fest and repetitive but I enjoy them.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Burkion posted:

The Dub of Tamers is pretty good too!

And omits the stupidity that is Ryo's Japanese Expanded Universe Bullshit!

Why Ryo why do you exist the way you do

The Japanese version doesn't mention it either.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The Tamers dub makes plenty of its own mistakes. There's the over reliance on lull destruction, making Renamon and Ruki more chatty than they actually are, they make their own problems by changing Leomon's final words to something that conflicts with the later flashbacks to it, and most damningly, the way they completely change Jian's reaction to Jianyu's pleading for forgiveness to accepting it to him denying it.

The Digimon dubs are, overall, a relic of another age best forgotten.

EDIT - To 02's ending's credit, I think it does more to make Vamdemon an actual CHARACTER. In season 1, he's your typical evil, generic overlord, but in 02, he actually has a PLAN and affects characters lives beyond literally kicking the dog (and then later said dog's boyfriend). Him using Tailmon's Holy Ring as a basis for the Evil Rings is a small, but interesting bit of characterization beyond "the evil cackling villain who kills his minions and leers menacingly."

The fight, however, is a massive anticlimax, but then, that was a problem with VenomVamdemon too.

As for Daisuke, I honestly think people are too hard on him. The gogglehead WILL inevitably get more powerups than the rest of the cast, but all 02's ending does is... strengthen an attack already in Imperialdramon's roster. I don't see the issue at all.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 8, 2015