Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."
a computer monitor like some caveman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
yes but you need a higher quality cable if it's super long or the signal may cut in and out

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
You can actually run HDMI through ethernet.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
get two http://www.monoprice.com/Product?se...CFbBm7AodxRcA8w and a ethernet cable.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I have a 3 or 4 meter one I use for Big Picture.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
my longest hdmi is 6 feet... insanely hosed up

Athropos
May 4, 2004

yeah because since moving in this new appartment my office area is too far from my living room so my gaming tower is out of hdmi cable range, but I'll look into the ethernet solution thing, that looks cool

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I think longer cables of decent quality are stupidly expensive, so that ethernet option is probably the way to go.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

I measured and 50ft will be fine for the distance I'm at, is there any significant signal degradation or something%

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
just buy some $15 thing from monoprice

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
Data in HDMI cables travels over the speed of light. You would need a length of HDMI cable from here to the orbit of Neptune to be able to experience any noticeable depreciation in signal quality.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Chalets the Baka posted:

Data in HDMI cables travels over the speed of light. You would need a length of HDMI cable from here to the orbit of Neptune to be able to experience any noticeable depreciation in signal quality.

This is what I always thought, but I read some article on a tech site. They had done actual tests and found that signal quality degraded in lower quality cables after like 5 meters. That was a few years ago so it's entirely possible that things have changed, and it's possible the results were fudged to support their advertisers or something.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Chalets the Baka posted:

It wouldn't hold together in outer space you big goof :iamafag:

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Silver Striker posted:

This is what I always thought, but I read some article on a tech site. They had done actual tests and found that signal quality degraded in lower quality cables after like 5 meters. That was a few years ago so it's entirely possible that things have changed, and it's possible the results were fudged to support their advertisers or something.

how do u test that... like... do u cut the cable in half after the first test?

Athropos
May 4, 2004

Chalets the Baka posted:

what if my living room is on Neptune you rear end in a top hat

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

THE PENETRATOR posted:

how do u test that... like... do u cut the cable in half after the first test?

They used several cables of different lengths from different manufacturers. They compared the signal quality at the other end of the cable. I'll try to find the article.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
that seems like a really bogus study

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I only use Monster brand cables.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I can't find it so I might have imagined it. Honestly, now that I think about it, you're probably best off just buying cheap rear end monoprice cables to start with. If they don't work, you're out a couple of bucks (and it sounds like the worst that is likely to happen is you might get slight interference).

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Silver Striker posted:

They used several cables of different lengths from different manufacturers. They compared the signal quality at the other end of the cable. I'll try to find the article.
hdmi is digital not analog and anyone saying there's a deprecation in signal quality after a certain distance is dumb because it literally does not work that way

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Silver Striker posted:

I can't find it so I might have imagined it. Honestly, now that I think about it, you're probably best off just buying cheap rear end monoprice cables to start with. If they don't work, you're out a couple of bucks (and it sounds like the worst that is likely to happen is you might get slight interference).

the main reason i even suggest the ethernet thing is because it's usually more compact + ethernet is usually cheaper and people have it laying around

if you're worried about interference you can get some shielded cables

i don't know about any other issues because most of this is just me parroting things other more knowledgable people told me years ago.

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene

Liquid Penguins posted:

yes but you need a higher quality cable if it's super long or the signal may cut in and out

hdmi is digital you friend of the family

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Just use an analog cable instead so you can get your aforementioned signal problems, OP.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Athropos posted:

a computer monitor like some caveman

You have brain damage.

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013

Wormskull posted:

You have brain damage.

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013
WTf....This game is also on a console. the only logical way to play this on pc is to string HDMI cables all throughout my house to connect it to the TV

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Just pay Audioquest a few thousand dollars or something

Athropos
May 4, 2004

Sir AIDS posted:

WTf....This game is also on a console. the only logical way to play this on pc is to string HDMI cables all throughout my house to connect it to the TV

my pc is vastly more powerful than the current gen consoles and my 50" TV is bigger than my 27" computer monitor and also playing on the couch is more comfortable

also pc ports of console games go on sale all the time and are much less expensive

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Athropos posted:

my pc is vastly more powerful than the current gen consoles and my 50" TV is bigger than my 27" computer monitor and also playing on the couch is more comfortable

also pc ports of console games go on sale all the time and are much less expensive

Who gives a rat's rear end you idiot.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I PLAY MY COMPUTER GAMES!!! ON THE TV!!! I"M NOT A VIRGIN!!!

Athropos
May 4, 2004

why are you so loving mad you human being

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene
Tane

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene
lol

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Wormskull posted:

I PLAY MY COMPUTER GAMES!!! ON THE TV!!! I"M NOT A VIRGIN!!!

Lol.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Athropos posted:

i do the same thing as this guy and generally agree with his points, but i am also a noted human being

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Cyra posted:

i do the same thing as this guy and generally agree with his points, but i am also a noted human being

this would make your post better. yw.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
lets brainstorm bnetween 20 failsons how to buy a fwiggin cable

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Doctor Goat posted:

if you're worried about interference you can get some shielded cables

and if you are worried about CIA mind control, you can get some tinfoil

Adbot