Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014
Hello to you!

This evening I am making Fettuccine Carbonara, so I will be doing a walkthrough for those who would like to give it a try at home.

The way I do these walkthrough's (my other walkthrough was for a German Coffee Torte, which if you havn't tried it yet, you can follow up on it here --> http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3690414

Right, let's get started!

EQUIPMENT

I will be using a Thermomix for the pasta, because it is so easy. You can do the same thing without one, by kneading the ingredients together in your hands. Later, I use a type of pan you might not have, but you can use an ordinary frying pan instead. I use a pasta maker in this tutorial. If you do not have one - buy one. Seriously. Just do it. It cost me about $60 on gumtree, and there are enough clueless people that don't know how to use one to allow you to pick one up at a great price!).

INGREDIENTS

(PASTA)

2 Cups of Plain Flour
3 Eggs
4 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
A few tablespoons of water, as needed

(CARBONARA ELEMENT)

Some Bacon (as much or little as you like - perhaps 300-400gr).
Cheddar Cheese
Bulgarian White Sheep's Milk Cheese (if your feeling pretentious), Feta (if your not) or nothing (if your boring).
About 200ml of cream
Parsley
Salt, Pepper

This is actually a fairly simple recipe, we have it regularly, and guests really enjoy it too, they really like watching the pasta being made and makes them ravenous somehow..
I do recommend that you practice the pasta a few times so it works out when guests arrive. You want to make those mistakes in private.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014
Right, just for the sake of those who are very anxious, and want to see right away what we are going to end up with, I will post a picture of what we are going to end up with.
If you enjoy following the cooking process though, I consider it a bit of a spoiler, but that's up to you.

This is what we are going to end up with :

Right, so with that out of the way, let's get started on the sequence.

So as I mentioned, I am going to be using a Thermomix for the Pasta. I am using the older model. Yes, it costs about $1000 second hand, but it works. Reliably. And it has enough power to eat a fork (once!).

The pasta recipe is one that I have used countless times. It is basic, it works. All you need to do is remember 2,3,4 to make it.

2 Cups of plain flour (1 cup is about 200 grams)

Three eggs.

And four tablespoons of Olive oil. (Not pictured. I'm sure you know what that looks like).

Pour the flour into the Thermomix

Make 3 little holes.

Pop in the eggs.

Add four table spoons of Olive oil.

Mix it on medium (about setting 4 or 5).

Now what we need to do is add a little water. How much? Well, that depends. I have no idea how big the eggs you used were. If they are big, you might use less. If they are small, perhaps use more. I usually use about 2-4 tablespoons.

Use the stirrer to stir it. You want it to kind of start clumping together.

Needs to look like this.

Tip it out onto the bench.

When you squeeze it, it should come together nicely.

Briefly knead it into a log.

Wrap it in plastic, then refrigerate it for a while. (Honestly - it works right away, but is even better after a few hours).

Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014
Right, we just chucked the pasta in the fridge. Next step, we are going to prepare some of those nice ingredients we want for the Carbonara part.

Let's grab our bacon. Quality is really important here. If you have an awful bacon, it will ruin the whole dish. So don't cheapskate here..

Get rid of the rinds.

Cut it up. I like it in strips. So much more interesting than diced.

Cut it again.

Great. Get the ingredients we will need later, and put them somewhere handy, so that's the salt, pepper and cream.

Also the sheep's cheese. This adds a really nice kind of saltiness and sourness to the dish. Yum. Go a nice Feta if you don't have it, or it's just too expensive.

We also need cheese and parsley. Mine's looking a bit sad. Oh well. Just use more of it.

Grate the cheese.

Chop the parsley.

Put it to the side. (Yeah, I got carried away there, we won't use all that... Will we?

Okay, we are ready for pasta stage 2...

Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014
Right, last we left our pasta, it was nicely wrapped.

We've removed it from the fridge, and we roll it into a log, knead it through just briefly.

We brutally cut it into four pieces.

We roll out each piece with a rolling pin. Frankly, you should not even need to add flour. It should not stick. If it does, you made it too wet. Next time go easy on the water. It should not cause you distress when rolling it out either. You made it too firm. :)

It should feel nice. Not wet, not dry.

Do it for all four.

Now earlier, I said to buy a pasta machine. I always saw it on TV, and I thought, "I want one!", but I wasn't too confident I could do it. I'm so glad I got it and stuck with my first few failures!

Let's set it up.

It has a variety of settings. 1 is very thick. 2 is thick. 4 is still too thick. 6 is perfect. 7 is very thin, which I like for spaghetti.

Now, I want about a 6. I can't go straight to that though, because the pasta won't fit. So we will whack it through on setting 2, then 4, then 6.

Okay, we gently put it through.

Between each pass, slightly flour it. Do all four in one setting, then do all four for the next - obviously.

Starting to look good..

So now they look like this..

Then like this..

And then ridiculously long. Perfect.

Start putting on the water. Just add some salt.

Here's our machine, we are using the Fettuccine part of it.

Here it comes!

Gently hang it somewhere. If it sticks together, that's because you didn't flour it properly, or the dough is too wet this time (less water next time!).

Kind of looks like hair, doesn't it?

You need the next bit of equipment. Strainer. Bowl. Scoopy thing.

Now things are about to get busy...

Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014
I'm experimenting with optimizing image pic processes by the way. The images here are fairly small to be kind to your internet bill.
If you would like higher resolution images, just go directly to the Album. http://imgur.com/a/MOgOz

Right. As we were saying, things are about to get busier...

We kind of need to make sure that everything is ready at the same time, so here's how.

Put oil into the pan, and turn it up. You can use an ordinary one, if you do not have one like this, but this is a little better I think..

Add the bacon.

Should look nice after a few minutes.

By now, the water should be boiling.

So gently put in HALF of the pasta you made.

See how it clumps together a bit at the bottom? You don't want that.

Gently agitate it, so it stays separated.

When it rises to the top, it is right to go!

Grab it and put it into the strainer.

Add it to your bacon.

Add salt and pepper.

Add the parsley, as well as some of the cream

Gently stir it.

You have started your second batch of pasta right? Do your second batch of pasta. Quick! :)

Add that to the pan, add more parsley.

Add the Feta / Bulgarian White Sheep's Milk Cheese. Yum.

Gently mix. Add cheddar.

Gently plate it once the cheddar has melted.

Delicious! Enjoy your meal.

Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014
Guys, hope you enjoyed that, and it inspired you to give it a try if you have not already made it.

You can tell me what you do a walkthrough on next, by commenting below, and voting here : http://strawpoll.me/3270593

Please leave some feedback if you have some.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
:eyepop:

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I appreciate the effort, but fair warning you're about to get schooled on real carbonara.

Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014

d3rt posted:

I appreciate the effort, but fair warning you're about to get schooled on real carbonara.

:braces for impact:

That's fine, here to learn too. :)

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Some people use cream, most don't - the creaminess comes from adding one extra egg yolk per two portions (my RoT, varies) and using them to emulsify the egg-cheese-fat mixture with a little of the pasta water.

The parsley I can look past, the sirene cheese is rather unorthodox. Good thread.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Jethro_E7 posted:

:braces for impact:

That's fine, here to learn too. :)

Here's what they're referring to.
http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Spaghetti_alla_carbonara

Original thread here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2978332&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

The Jizzer used to post here and completely schooled everyone. To be honest, I've only had it his way and yours looks pretty much the same as a final dish. The feta is kinda weird but I'd be willing to try it.

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014
In all honesty it sounds really good, but I'm not sure I would call that a carbonara. I will give it a whirl though, thanks for the thread!

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Authenticity aside, that looks delicious. Anyone rolling out their own pasta is alright by me.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Yeah that's a pretty drat good looking (but non-authentic) carbonara. I'd probably use eggs instead of cream though, and axe the cheddar. Non traditional twists on food are cool though. I keep meaning to do some kind of spanish knock on this using chorizo or something similar in place of pancetta, and some cheese that go with that

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:eyepop: 5 separate posts for that.

To be fair, get me drunk and I'd polish off that entire thing myself. Nice pictures.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Yeah, the fresh pasta does look great and has inspired me to bust out the pasta maker tonight. But the feta cheese...

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

FATWOLF posted:

Yeah, the fresh pasta does look great and has inspired me to bust out the pasta maker tonight. But the feta cheese...
Feta cheese is amazing. It deserves a try for every recipe that involves cheese.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Bulgarian feta is double awesome. I need to find more things to use it with

Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014

Croatoan posted:

Here's what they're referring to.
http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Spaghetti_alla_carbonara

Original thread here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2978332&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

The Jizzer used to post here and completely schooled everyone. To be honest, I've only had it his way and yours looks pretty much the same as a final dish. The feta is kinda weird but I'd be willing to try it.

That's a great link, and yes, that looks fantastic!
I think adding garlic is an easy addition. Pancetta can be substituted for Bacon (and tastes better!) but is also expensive (at least where I am), so bacon is a good budget substitute.
The eggs vs. cream is a matter of preference (though the eggs is more authentic for sure!) and I guess what recipe you pick up. :)

Hopefully too, people who have not yet tried to make pasta will see how easy it is! It was so worthwhile, but I would recommend getting the right brand one. The Atlas 150 is perfect. You can pick it up in Australia for about $50 which is just silly! http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-pasta+maker/k0

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Bulgarian feta is double awesome. I need to find more things to use it with

Also love to eat it with some really good tomato's, salt, pepper. Your right, it's delicious! I also prefer this one to goat's cheese, which has a more intense ("goaty!") flavour.

Jethro_E7 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 28, 2014

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Guanciale and pecorino romano really kicks it up a notch, very authentic.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I would 100% eat that, but 0% call it a carbonara.

Out of curiosity, why do you like that weird square frying pan, what does it bring to the table?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Jethro_E7 posted:

Hopefully too, people who have not yet tried to make pasta will see how easy it is!

In your thousand dollar stirrer

Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014

angerbeet posted:

It's called a Thermomix. Show some respect.

:D

In seriousness, it will work by hand (easy) a mixer with a dough hook (even easier) or a food processor (even even easier) too. The composition (2,3,4) will work with all of those just as well.

The weird square frying pan is pretty cool, I mainly use it for space, as my frying pans are just too small / gets too messy. We have a kitchen that has been cobbled together in years of marriage, so we use what we have.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
My takeaway from this thread is that you own a thousand-dollar ALL-IN-ONE! kitchen appliance. Does it make julienne fries?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

As others have said, that doesn't look much like carbonara but it does look tasty. I'd eat it.

The carbonara recipe I use (from Hazan's Classic Pasta Cookbook) is pretty similar to the one on the wiki. Main differences:
- uses a butter/olive oil mix instead of just olive oil to brown the pancetta
- no garlic (I think I need to add some next time I'm making this)
- when the pancetta is just browned, adds ⅓C white wine and cooks it down (I've tried it with red as well and it works fine, although it doesn't look as nice)

The recipe notes that you can use egg yolks or even yolks + cream if you prefer, but the recipe as written uses whole eggs and that's how I've always made it.

angerbeet posted:

To be fair, you can make pasta dough pretty quickly and easily just on a countertop.

That said, if you don't have the time (or the room) to make your own pasta dough, cut it out, and hang it -- I pretty much never do -- carbonara is still stupid tasty even with store-bought dry pasta.

Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014

Test Pattern posted:

My takeaway from this thread is that you own a thousand-dollar ALL-IN-ONE! kitchen appliance. Does it make julienne fries?

To be honest :

1. We bought it because it has an "indestructible" motor. I had bought several mixers and they all broke constantly. That thing seems incredibly powerful. You can turn sugar into icing sugar. Gelati, etc.. It eats forks and still lives. (My brother fed it a fork - NOT recommended).
2. Most things made with it that use "Thermomix" recipes suck. Don't even bother.
3. We bought ours second hand, can't imagine buying that thing new..
4. It steams pretty good though too! We make quark with it quite easily as it maintains the temperature you want, right up to boiling.

ropa
Sep 7, 2006
I do this a lot, very similar to you. I even have the exact same thermomix at my parent's.

I don't use cream though I use Pecorino and Parmigiano

edit: I mix the cheese with an extra egg, and add that when the spagetti are out of the water, and still hot, but not too hot so the crude egg doesn't become omelete

ropa fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 29, 2014

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

My favorite pasta in the whole wide world. Nothing beats carbonara.

But yeah, I don't use cream. 1 whole egg, 1 egg yolk (extra creaminess), grated Parmigiano, lil' bitta pepper. Beat. That comes out plenty decadent for me.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

pile of brown posted:

I would 100% eat that, but 0% call it a carbonara.

this.

casu told me to come in here and yell but I don't really yell anymore. I agree with pile of brown though.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Jethro_E7 posted:

To be honest :

1. We bought it because it has an "indestructible" motor. I had bought several mixers and they all broke constantly. That thing seems incredibly powerful. You can turn sugar into icing sugar. Gelati, etc.. It eats forks and still lives. (My brother fed it a fork - NOT recommended).

That is the question.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

GrAviTy84 posted:

this.

casu told me to come in here and yell but I don't really yell anymore. I agree with pile of brown though.

I don't even like pasta.

But it's an A for effort and is well executed, despite not being carbonara.

Mr Anthony
Jul 8, 2013
Eating your pickles.
Pasta turned out great with a very nice thickness to it. How long did the pasta take to cook, a few minutes?

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

My pasta recipe is something like 2c pasta flour, 2 eggs and 3 yolks and olive oil, it's on the back of the Lighthouse brand pasta at Coles (and Woolies iirc). I was taught with my pasta to laminate it, ie start at level 0, do that 6-8 times folding it over itself, then again on 1 and 2, then just once each up to 6, you get this super dank al dente pasta. We make our pasta all at 6, even for agnolotti etc.

My carbonara recipe, while probably not authentic, generally sits something like this:
4 rashers smoked bacon
3 chicken thigh fillets (bc breast is lame)
4 egg yolks
5-6 Swiss brown mushrooms
Onion
2-3 cloves of grandmas garlic because that poo poo is the size of like 3 normal cloves
Parmesan or pecorino
Italian parsley

Dice up meats, slice mushrooms, slice onion thin and then cut approx. into 3rds. Dice garlic finely
Bacon in, olive oil or butter, high heat, get that fat rendering out
Bacon out, allow to de grease, mushrooms, garlic and onions into bacon grease :getin:
Brown, season with salt and pepper. You should season every time you add a layer of flavour.
Chicken in. Season. Cook through
Pasta, Cook to al dente, in.
Bacon back in
Stir to mix through
Off heat into bowl, 4 egg yolks into hot mix, stir vigorously to cook. Parsley chopped finely, over.
Cheese over. I have used truffled pecorino to interesting results, as well as small amounts of truffle oil over the finished products

This isn't for some "classy restaurant" poo poo, this is "I ate a bowl commence food coma" or "I drank my body weight in liquor last night" level carbonara where it just appeals to your inner greased up animal.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

McSpergin posted:

This isn't for some "classy restaurant" poo poo, this is "I ate a bowl commence food coma" or "I drank my body weight in liquor last night" level carbonara where it just appeals to your inner greased up animal.

Isn't that the whole point of carbonara? Even a super-traditional carbonara recipe starts by browning pancetta (i.e. fatty pigmeats) in oil and butter, and it's speculated that it originated as a hearty meal for charcoalburners, hence the name. If you don't want something heavy, greasy, and delicious, you should make something that's not carbonara.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

ToxicFrog posted:

Isn't that the whole point of carbonara? Even a super-traditional carbonara recipe starts by browning pancetta (i.e. fatty pigmeats) in oil and butter, and it's speculated that it originated as a hearty meal for charcoalburners, hence the name. If you don't want something heavy, greasy, and delicious, you should make something that's not carbonara.

I think so. Fatty pig meats own. I am so loving stoked that I have leftover carbonara. We did this one with truffled pecorino which added this phenomenal complexity to it, with the super earthy flavour of truffle. Also chicken thighs are the way to go imo, dark meat owns

E: also im sure I read somewhere that cream in carbonara is not authentic and it doesn't belong in carbonara at all. Ugh, that reminds me of the terrible carbonara my ex girlfriend made. Jar sauce, cream, mushrooms, bacon and pasta. She hated pasta (weirdo) and so didn't put much effort in. Obviously someone never cooked it properly for her. She could do a mad lamb and tomato stew though, being South African. That poo poo was the bomb

McSpergin fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 30, 2014

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

"Carbonara"

hosed if I'm driving twenty minutes each way to the deli with good prosciutto for fourbux worth of meat when there isa city ham in the fridge to work through.

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Seems like the perfect place to leave this (1:24 onwards if it doesn't jump for whatever reason).

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

in an attempt to offend everyone, I did a bacon/cream/cheddar/corn variant yesterday. Not remotely a carbonara, but the sweet crispy corn kernels went really well with the salty fat bacon/sauce - at least as a late night hunger food.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Computer viking posted:

in an attempt to offend everyone, I did a bacon/cream/cheddar/corn variant yesterday. Not remotely a carbonara, but the sweet crispy corn kernels went really well with the salty fat bacon/sauce - at least as a late night hunger food.

I am offended yet intriuged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Not that I'm interested in buying one but what's the skinny on this 2000 dollar muli-function appliance?

Looks like the broomshakalaka of the kitchen

• Locked thread